Meet the Bickersons.

Everyone knows the Bickersons. They might be your best friends, John and Joan, your next door neighbors, Phil and Shari, or your in-laws, Pete and Mary. The Bickersons do what they do best. They bicker with each other — anywhere and everywhere, in person, on the phone, in front of other people, and even while in bed. I find that the Bickersons don’t usually argue, or yell — or do anything physically abusive. They just bicker.

Not all Bickersons are alike. The Bickersons I know and love happen to be quite entertaining and generous to a fault — but they do bicker. Mostly it’s pretty mild, but there are times when their bickering can be uncomfortable to be around — especially if the heat’s turned up a notch (and I do mean literally). If their bickering carries on longer than usual, someone invariably steps up, makes a joke, and everyone laughs. If you don't take the time to get to know my Bickersons, you may assume that they're headed for divorce court. Given their behavior, this would be a logical assumption, but this formula is flawed. It requires judging by appearances only — looking and not seeing, and definitely hearing but not listening.

With my Bickersons, what you see is what you get. There are no hidden agendas, no dressing up appearances for appearance sake. Once their door closes to outsiders, they still bicker — but I don’t worry about what else is going on behind that closed door. In between their bickering (and most likely during) they love each other — anywhere and everywhere, in person, on the phone and in front of other people. Yes, they’re as passionate about their love for each other as they are about their bickering. When (not if) someone asks how I can stand to be around their bickering, I smile and say that I prefer the bickering to another less attractive alternative. You see, I truly believe my Bickersons are happy, content and very much in love with each other...regardless of their bickering. I've known other couples who seemed to be happy and very much in love...on the surface. They never argued or disagreed in public. They always smiled, constantly petted each other and held hands. They never bickered. Then poof! One or the other moved out, or one evening the police came to investigate a “domestic” disturbance. The house was put up for sale and all their dirty laundry, that had been so carefully hidden from view, was very much on display. She hated him and he hated her. Their facade had been in place for years until it finally cracked under the pressure of false pretense and gave way. No thanks. I prefer to skip “showy” performances and favor “what you see...” friendships. They last longer as they're built with sturdier, genuine material. Besides, I don’t really notice my Bickerson’s bickering anymore. It’s there, somewhere in the background, but it rarely hits my radar. I'm not promoting this type of communication as healthy, or appropriate, for everyone. I'm just explaining how my Bickersons communicate. Of course, there are limits to the amount of bickering outsiders can tolerate.

Recently, my husband and I (and three other couples) went on a trip with the Bickersons. It was their anniversary weekend. For some reason they bickered more than usual. Perhaps the name of the street, where we rented the condos, had something to do with it — Wisteria Drive. At one point, I was annoyed with their constant bickering. I started calling them the “Bickersons Plus.” Someone else coined them “The Bickersons II,” as in the sequel from the day before. Our usual attempts at levity didn’t work this time. They continued to bicker and bicker...and then bicker some more. Given that it was approaching triple digit temperatures outside, and that the air conditioning wasn’t working inside, it was getting uncomfortably hot. It was apparent that we all needed to cool off and the Bickersons needed to cool it. After one particularly nasty bit of bickering, I started singing the “Happy Anniversary” song. Everyone, including the Bickersons, joined in. It worked. For that evening, and into the next day, we sang another verse whenever the Bickersons began to bicker. After each impromptu chorus we would all laugh. It was a not-so-subtle and off-key reminder of why we were all together — and it brought the temperature down several degrees. Eventually the bickering Bickersons stopped their bickering long enough to celebrate their milestone anniversary. As we finally headed for home on the Sunday, I waved a final goodbye to the Bickersons as we stopped to get gas and they continued down the freeway. Their dog was wagging her tail happily in the back seat, with Mom and Dad in front...bickering about the setting on the air conditioning.

I worried about the Bickersons on the entire drive home. I wondered if their weekend bickering was abnormal, even for them. I fretted that they weren’t as happy as I had thought them to be. I worried that perhaps their relationship was in trouble. Finally, my husband and I arrived home. I walked into our house and turned on my computer for the first time in three days. Within seconds, I came across a story from a friend. She wrote about her youth, which she spent in a perfectly kept house, with a perfectly manicured yard, with two perfectly polished cars — one in the driveway and one in the garage. Sounds ideal, doesn’t it? From the outside looking in, everything certainly appeared to be perfect. Unfortunately, this was not the case. It seems that the perfect house, yard and cars were all decoys — a successful camouflage campaign. They were props for appearance sake only — and they masked the true spirit of that home and the unhappy childhood that played out from within for my friend. The irony did not escape me. While this friend’s childhood was far from perfect, the timing of her story, appearing as it did on my monitor, was eerily perfect. After I left her a message, I found myself thinking about my bickering anniversary couple. Then I went back and read my friend’s heart-wrenching story again. It seems that this friend’s account of her unhappy youth provided the much-needed yin to my weekend yang.

I called the Bickersons later that night. I said that I was just checking in to make sure they arrived home safely. In reality, I guess I wanted to know how things were going behind their closed door. No worries. The Bickersons were laughing and very relaxed. They were getting ready to climb into the tub — together. As I hung up the phone I could hear them bickering about the temperature of the water. Everything was back to normal. Real normal, not faux “perfect” normal.

I went to bed that evening content in my knowledge that the 25-year old Bickerson love affair that I know is alive and well. I guess it was prickly heat that got to me — and to them. As I drifted off to sleep, I thought about their anniversary again...and the prickly heat. As I connected the dots, my last thought was “lethal Hallmark Holiday, complete with high expectations, forced romanticism and triple digit temperatures.” I slept well that night. I heard the Bickersons fell asleep in the tub.

Sure, I joke and exaggerate some to make my point about the Bickersons, but sometimes I wonder if it’s the bickering that keeps their passion alive. Perhaps if we all let off a little steam now and then, and didn’t worry so much about appearances, we could get rid of that big pot sitting prominently on our stove. You know — the pot that’s always threatening to boil over and scald our relationships. Burns are painful and leave nasty scars. Plus, they take a long time to heal. Think about it. For the Bickersons, the only hot water threatening to overflow is in their tub — when they’re in it together.

I leave you with one final thought. Appearances can easily deceive. If you judge a book by its cover, you may miss a good read; but you can always read that book later. Friends are another matter. If you judge the health of a couple's relationship by their bickering you may miss out on a lot of fun with some bickering but great and genuinely happy friends. On the other hand, you can put blinders on and spend your time with some fake, non-bickering, for “show only” friends. It’s a personal preference. For me, I’ll keep it real. No blinders, but I have thought about investing in some ear plugs.

Bickersons... Meet the Bickersons,

They're a happy bickering family.

From the town of BickersVille,

They're a page right out of history.

Someday, maybe she will win the fight,

And that bickering man will stay out for the night.

When you're with the Bickersons,

have a yabba dabba doo time,

a dabba doo time,

we'll have a gay old bickering time.

Dedicated to WB...thank you for sharing your story. I heard you and am listening. Also, to the Bickersons — here’s to 25 more bickering years together. Next time let’s celebrate in Alaska, where it’s cooler and we won’t be subjected to such unbearable “prick-ly” heat.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Callisto said…
Ha! This is a great post to which I totally relate - because I have my very own Bickersons. They are at it all the time but it seems to keep their relationship healthy, because they always know what is bothering the other (and so does everyone else!). Having a husband that is not a good communicator, I sometimes envy my Bickersons, still I think somewhere in between bottling it up and Bickerson is best!
Chris said…
Hmm. This post is making me think, Teri. I'm going to observe all the couples I know (including my wife and I) and see how we all measure up on the Bickersons to FauxPerfectsons scale.

Thanks for another great one! :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callisto...yes you got my point...and I never once said, "and my point is." Of course it is in the middle.

Ciao chica, good to have you back. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...trust me on this, if you include some Bickersons as friends, you would know. As for you and the wife, I would bet that you commincate just fine!

Ciao LLB...have a great week and thanks for the kind words.
Reach said…
OK, this is good-

Dear Teri,

I have too many "Bickersons" in my circle. I am afraid of being converted. What shall I do?

OH, wait, wrong column.

Great one Teri, and yes I do have/know/love some Bickersons. You gotta love it, for they do keep it interresting; especially with humor.

Reach

PS Surfing was great (though I did not), Air Show was perfect and thanks for checking up- it is appreciated.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...take two aspirins, buy some earplugs and call me in the morning. Oops, wrong column. ;)

Yes, I love my Bickersons as well. I must also say that whenever my husband and I start to bicker now, we generally laugh and say we're sounding like the Bickersons ourselves. Then we remember the tub!

Ciao Reach...have a great week.
Angel said…
Hi Teri ~

Loved this!

I don't have any Bickersons, wish I did, I have a MRS NAG & MR Whipped. It is sooo painful to be around them, so it happens only rarely.

Like once in a blue moon rarely...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel of the Dawn...so happy you enjoyed the story. You know this couple as you were at their house on St. Paddys, but I bet you already figured that one out!

Anyway, I know a Mrs. Nag and Mr. Whipped...they are closely related to the Whiners - as in would you like to have a little cheese with your "whine!"

Have a great week...and here's to the rare blue moon.

Ciao bella...
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

I am honored by this dedication. I see that you really did "listen", as you said. Here's to the Bickersons and everyone else who puts their cards out on the table for the world to see...

Thank you, dear friend.

WB
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...thank you. You have such a strong voice, albeit subtle at times, that I long to hear it more often.

Here's to putting our cards on the table...and playing the hand we are dealt as gracefully as you have my friend.

Ciao bella...be well.

Teri
Debbie said…
Hum, now I am starting to think I my have become the BICKERSON'S, I have given up on keeping my feelings or thoughts secret, I think HE needs to hear it when it arrives and who cares infront of who, if others think it odd, oh well you can not tell me they don't fuss and if not THERE is something wrong. MY husbands favorite quote by I think Chris Rock "You have never been in love if you never wanted to kill a M...F..er" In a twisted way that explains the passion behind the bickering.. have a great week
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...I think every healthy relationship must have some bickering...if not, then someone is always getting their way, and someone is always remaining silent. Perhaps there are some exceptions to this rule, but Betty says it best...here's to everyone who puts their cards on the table for the world to see. No suprises...what you see is what you get. Now the world may not want to see those cards...but that's another story for another day. Me, I'm off for a margarita and some chips and salsa.

Take care chica and thanks for stopping by.

Ciao.
Kacey said…
I thought all couples bickered on occasion. Your article made me take a long look at our marriage. of fifty-two years.
We didn't bicker until later in life and as in your "Bickersons" --- only over mundane things. But, it is not healthy and believe it or not --- it bothers the kids (all in their mid-forties). Somewhere along the line, we have lost track of the premise that all people do not think with a common brain. The words, "And the two shall become one", means one flesh. While we are joined at the hip, we remain disjointed above the neck with our two brains thinking separate thoughts and are amazed when we find that our mate does not agree on every little detail of everyday life. I suppose we should just shut up and let the other one have his or her thoughts and respect their right to differ in the little things. If your "Bickersons" made you uncomfortable, just think how their children feel when they go at it, especially when you look at them with that expectant look that asks them to choose sides. I think I'll go give the old boy a kiss, because I really appreciate him!
Leann said…
Teri,

I know that couple!! My ex in-laws were just like that and they've been married for YEARS. Seems to be part of the "charm" of their relationship.

Whatever twists your shorts I guess.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...yes, I agree that too much bickering is not healthy for all involved. When writing this article it did hit home with me, and make me think of the times I bickered with the husband about inconsequential things, and I resolved to do better and to have more patience...count my blessings and focus on the positive. But, my major point here was that appearances can be deceiving. Of course, I never know where I am going whenever I start to write, and I must acknowledge that the weekend bickering was a bit much, as it is the subject I started with, the issue that was primarily on my mind. Also, I wrote this article for this couple, so that they could read it and recognize that they need to cool it and count their blessings as well. Once again, I guess moderation is the key...and respect and consideration, and knowing the hill you really want to die on.

I must say chica, that I am surprised that you did not bring up the original Bickersons, of radio fame. I thought for sure that you would. :)

Things have slowed down here a bit and I am back working on my book proposal.

Ciao bella...hope the old boy enjoyed the kiss. Thanks as always for your grounded point of view.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...twists your shorts, winds your watch. Go figure. It takes all kinds...and all kinds of patience, tolerance and friends to get through life.

Hope your life is going well. Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend.

Ciao chica.
Kacey said…
Gee Teri, I remember well John and Blanche Bikerson and the tone of their voices. I just didn't think that you would know them, since they were on radio when I was in the 4th to 9th grades. What really bothered me about your article was recognizing myself as a bickerer. We don't do it often and we never do it well, but your writing made me feel ashamed that I even resemble Blanche. Teri's arrow strikes again, but her quiver remains full! You are really good --- even when you don't know it!
Sideways Chica said…
Oh Kacey...don't you know that I could tell from your comment that I hit a little close to home. I did for myself as well. If we recognize a bit of ourselves, even through an exaggerated point, then we are halfway home to fixing the problem - at home that is.

Ciao chica...enjoy the week and remember who loves ya baby!
Anonymous said…
There are definitely couples that THRIVE off of a constant back and forth. I don't know how they do it but, hey, to each their own! ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...I agree, to each their own. Well put as usual chica.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Kelly said…
I too I'm afraid, have the potential to be a 'bickerer'. I like to tease, rather than bicker though. I wonder if teasing in a flirtish way, while 'courting' is what turns into constant bickering when one marries? I'm sure there is a fine line drawn there somewhere.
How very true, if we try to judge, the misconceptions we render,may keep us from enjoying what life has to offer.
Happy Trails and a toast to the Bickersons!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kelly...I'll join you in that toast to the Bickersons. Not only for their true spirit, but for the reminder that there too go I...perhaps without the same loving spirit.

Another toast if you will. Here's to looking beyond the obvious and reading between the lines.

Ciao chica...enjoy the week.
Anonymous said…
This one hit home, because I read it yesterday after getting home from having dinner with a couple who, if they were like your Bickersons, would be much more enjoyable to be around. Instead, their bickering is laced with malice, discontent, and years of anger. I say they have a love/hate relationship - that they love to hate each other. But hey, I might be able to get a book out of my experiences with them, so live and let live, I guess.

However, I've met several couples who are similar to your Bickersons, and they usually are quite amusing, and often enjoyable company. The loving bickers don't really register on my radar, because I've seen the other kind enough to recognize which is which.

It's kinda funny, but you've pretty much got my own marriage in there, too - ours would be the sort to shock everybody because we always get along so well that if it were to end, it would appear to be quite sudden. We're not the kind to try to keep up appearances - we just never bicker and rarely argue. Ours are usually very weighty discussions, conducted through subtle facial expressions, body language, tone of voice, and the emanation of 'mood energy' (not to sound too weird here, but I don't know any other way to describe it...).

It took me a while to collect my thoughts on this one. It would be quite fascinating to see the developmental process your articles go through as you get them ready each week.
Hale McKay said…
That one hit home with me also. You have me wondering, inspite of just celebrating our 34th Anniversary, if we might not be "Bickerson-like."
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...the process is quite interesting, as I usually never know what I am going to write about beforehand. When I think I do, it usually changes. Plus I never know how things will tie together, but I do think it must be therapuetic, as I am always in a pretty good mood after I finish an article. :)

You and your husband sound like my brother and his wife. They've honestly never had a fight or argument. I tell my brother it has nothing to with him, as he's related to me...it must be all my sister-in-law.

Anyway chica, have a great week and ciao for now.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Hale...congratulations on the 34 years. I applaud you.

And don't worry, a little bickering now and then doesn't make you the Bickersons...but as I said above, if my exaggerated point here gets us all to reflect a bit on our own bickering, then that's not a bad thing.

Ciao for now and thanks for stopping by. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...it sounds as if you can still hear a bit of your Gram's bickering. Good for you. I bet she loved having you as a sparring partner. :)

Ciao chica...thanks for sharing something that I know is still painful. Enjoy the week.
fjl said…
FABULOUS post. Your talent really soars here. I laughed and learned and identified all the way through.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...thank you so much for your kind words. I truly had fun writing this one. Plus, I learned a bit about myself along the way.

Ciao chica...have a great week.

Fan Favorites

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred