If it looks like a duck...

One of my readers recently wondered how to spot a person’s true colors. Her main issue involved people who project their own negative thought process onto us — and into our lives. She asked. “How do you know when to stay and when to walk away?” This interested me, as I have tried several times to write about ridding ourselves of negative influences that invade our space. I’ve never been happy with my results. Dare I say that I always thought that I came across as too “negative.” Sure, I write about taking out the garbage in our lives metaphorically, as in the trash man cometh and the trash man taketh away — but negative influences are sneaky and can be difficult to identify. If we can’t classify something as trash, it’s not easy to throw it away. Plus, not all negativity can be eliminated as easily as some of the other trash we collect. In some cases, the best we can hope for is to recognize a negative influence, then limit our exposure so that it won’t take over our lives.

So, how can we tell if someone is projecting their negativity onto us? How do we know when a negative influence is poisoning our well and causing our outlook, relationships and lives to suffer needlessly? It’s taken me years to figure it out, but I’ve adopted a formula that works pretty well. This is not my formula...it’s been around for years. Some say it’s for the birds. I say that I may be slow with my math at times…but if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it’s probably a duck. It may be a migrating duck that I can live without — or it may a non-migrating duck that I have to learn to live with in moderation. A duck is a duck, none-the-less. If we have this knowledge, it's much easier to deal with our ducks, and organize them. One might call this process “getting our ducks in a row.” We can then differentiate between “Bye Bye Birdie” ducks and sitting ducks that are here to stay.

This proven formula is called the “Duck Test.” It applies “analogical reasoning” to identify something unknown by its physical traits. I choose to ignore the anal part of “analogical,” and stick with the logical part of my analogy. Analogical reasoning also involves the use of a metaphor. In this case, I choose birds (specifically ducks) to make my point.

Before I go any further, let me issue a disclaimer. I love birds, so I apologize to any ducks (and duck lovers) that may be offended at my choice in metaphors. I’m constantly amazed at the perseverance and intelligence of birds. They hunt, they gather and they nest. They know where they’re going and they know where they’ve been. Unlike people, they don’t need motivation to live. Birds have an innate survival instinct that carries them through life...and they can fly. This involves taking off, landing and thinking about their flight pattern in advance. Ducks are also resilient. Water rolls off their backs like...well, water on a duck’s back. We have two ducks that return to enjoy our community pool every summer. They don’t mind the chlorine and they don’t mind the people. They also don’t mind holding up traffic while they sleep in the middle of the road on a warm summer afternoon. Impervious comes to mind — they are immovable. Ducks can be immovable and cute — just like negativity in the right light. They also have other commonalities. Ducks and negativity can both can be messy if given free reign. I enjoy the ducks when they return each year, but I don’t encourage them to stay. Others in my hood put out water and food, encouraging them to roost wherever and whenever. If this happens, the ducks get complacent and forget their natural instincts. If negativity is encouraged to stick around, then we get complacent and forget our natural instincts. This is dangerous. Once the roosting process occurs, the mess ensues with the stench not far behind.

So why do we let ducks stay, when we know that they’re ducks? We know it’s not healthy for the ducks to be codependent…and we know it’s not healthy for ourselves to act as enablers. Some people (myself included) have tried to tell themselves that one of their ducks (as in a duck of a friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, family member, or partner) is a swan in the making. This can be risky. “The Ugly Duckling,” is a nice story, but the odds are unlikely that any of our ducks will ever change into swans.

There are many types of ducks in our lives. Some ducks we can live without easily enough. Other ducks are permanent fixtures in our lives. This is where moderation comes into play. Even if we have a duck that is a permanent part of our lives, we don’t have to cater to that duck. We don’t have to feed it, patronize it, or be around it all of the time. I have one friend who has a “mother” of a duck-in-law. This mother duck was always trying to tell my friend how to live her life — or rather lecture her on everything she was doing wrong as a mother and a wife. This mother duck constantly undermined my friend’s authority with her little chicks, and her mate. My friend knew that the mother-in-law was a duck, but she couldn’t just put her at the curb for the trash man to cart away. And this mother duck had no intention of flying south anytime soon. She was complacent. She had been fed, watered and catered to for many years. My friend tried moderating contact with the mother duck with caller I.D. This didn’t work. If the mother duck couldn’t reach her on her home line she then called her cell phone. Then she started showing up unannounced. I thought for a while that my friend would be the one to fly the coop, but she persevered for the sake of her family. She found a way to limit her family's time with the mother duck, and no one was the wiser. She researched some senior events in her community and started attending a few of the activities with the mother duck. The mother duck didn’t want to go at first, but me friend didn’t give up easily. Eventually the mother duck met some other birds (thankfully, not ducks) and her temperament changed for the better. She still has a duck relapse now and then, but since she met a certain distinguished male “Bird” at the senior center, she’s way too busy to be negative, much less project it into my friend’s life. There’s even been talk that the mother duck may fly to Florida with her new bird-friend this winter.

Some ducks need to be encouraged to hit the road or take flight immediately. These are the ducks that we can (and should) live without before they become permanent members of the family and take over our nests. Unfortunately, these ducks tend to stick around like leeches. A single and successful friend of mine had a duck of boyfriend a few years back. He liked to talk and talk and talk. One might say that he was all talk and no show. He's what I call a lame duck. For several years, this friend fooled herself into thinking that a swan would one day appear in her lame duck’s place. Alas, she was wrong. She put up with this duck way too long and they did not live happily ever after. He was controversial, controlling and he constantly put her down so that he could feel better about himself and his shortcomings. He did this in a way that was not obvious to others…and eventually it took its toll on my friend. I admit that it also took me a while to see that Mr. Charm Boy was a lame duck. My vision was obscured because my friend became adept at making excuses for him — and I believed her up to a point. Then one day I saw them walking together in the distance. I saw his waddle clearly. Then I noticed that she had a slight waddle too. Then I knew. This lame duck of a boyfriend had almost (but not quite) beaten her down emotionally and was trying to make her into his lame duck. It wasn’t pretty. It's true that he retained his good looks, but let’s face it chicas...male ducks are a lot more attractive than female ducks. Before this lame duck of a boyfriend could inflict further damage onto my once radiant, positive and secure friend, I decided that it was time for an intervention. How did it work out? Let’s just say that we cooked his goose for good.

Another duck that often flies into our lives is the miserable friend duck. This miserable duck, of course, loves company. I refer to the “chronic” miserable duck here, not a temporarily miserable duck that has just hit a little turbulence and is in need of a friendly face and compassionate ear. How many times have we let a “chronic” miserable duck into our lives, only to have his (or her) negative views become our own? Too many. I call a miserable duck a loon because they’re downright crazy. Beware the miserable loon. They don’t seek true happiness. They just want to be less (or equally as) miserable as others. They actually find happiness in the misery of others. Some of these loons actually gauge their happiness in a relationship upon the unhappiness of other relationships. If we let a miserable loon into our lives, then chances are this quack will try to make us see misery where there wasn’t any before the loon waddled into our lives and “fowled” things up. We must not feed or water these loons. If we let them stick around long enough to roost, then our happiness can fly out the window, never to return.

Finally, I left the best (or worst) for last — the cheating duck. I call this bird a cold duck — emotionally frigid, and uncaring about the consequences of his (or her) actions. The cold duck always has an excuse. They never believe that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. If he (or she) did, they wouldn’t take so many pains to lie and cover their sneaky chicken tracks. My personal feeling is that cold ducks should be separated from the flock and never allowed to roost — or re-roost. They should be branded. They should have their own flock because these birds of a feather should definitely flock together. Leave the innocent, non-cheating birds alone...and let the cold ducks cohabitate, for better or mostly for worse. Sometimes we may encounter a cold duck who talks us into believing his (or her) lies. Sometimes we may not know (only suspect as in 99% sure) that our duck is cold. Either way, I think cold ducks should be put on a spit and roasted. Be sure to capture the juices and baste well. Cold ducks are always tough. They're never genuinely tender.

Well, there you have it. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it’s probably a duck. The choice is ours as to whether we send our ducks flying, or we limit our time and insulate ourselves from their negativity. Some of us may even choose to let a duck roost and occupy our space indefinitely. If we choose to live with a duck as is, don’t expect too much in return. Don’t go trying to change them. The point of the Duck Test is simple. What you see is usually what you get. I believe there’s a good reason that the children’s game is called duck, duck, goose — not duck, duck, swan.

Postscript: There are a few other ducks that may make a mess of our nests from time to time, including the lucky ducks and the decoys. Seemingly, the lucky ducks haven’t a care in the world. In actuality, many are a mess financially and emotionally and are just waiting for us to take care of them. If you come across a lucky duck, and he (or she) looks to good to be true, be careful, they probably are too good to be true. I think the Decoys are the hardest to spot, as they can represent several species of ducks. I’ve had some experience with one type of decoy who is the best friend of a cold duck. This type of decoy tries to convince us what a great guy (or gal) the lying, cheating cold duck really is. Sometimes it’s the decoy who “sets” us up with the cold duck in the first place. A decoy can also be a duck that looks similar, swims similar and quacks similar to a duck, but just doesn’t seem like a real duck. Beware! Decoys are dangerous. They’re strictly for the birds. Why? Because the birds are much better equipped at spotting the real McCoy. Also, another friend brought up a good point when she came by to preview this week’s article. She noted that sometimes (only sometimes) it may be wise to keep your friends close and your ducks even closer...that it may be better to actually know thine ducks. I would apply this formula only in extreme circumstances.

Dedicated to Tanya – thank you for asking the question. I hope my response isn’t too "negative."

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Sideways Chica said…
Okay guys and chicas...it's your turn. Is it "Duck, Duck, Goose" or "Duck, Duck, Swan?"

Enjoy!
Kelly said…
Great thought provoking post yet again Teri!!
My answer to the 'duck test' is short and to the point~~ years ago after carefully maintaining a 'duck pond' for it seemed millions upon millions of ducks who seemed to constantly migrate to 'my pond'~~ I came up with my own personal solution for duckese.

I never give more to anyone than I am willing to forfeit.

It works well for me. ;)

Cheers! *quack*quack*
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh Kelly...there you are. I forgot about the duck pond. Thank you for sharpening my point chica. I like your formula also...it is another one that I too have adopted.

Here's to the quacks...may they inhabit someone else's pond!

Ciao bella...enjoy "the property" this weekend.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...I like turtles too! Glad you can spot the decoys now. That's quite a talent and usually only comes from experience. Sounds like you really earned your feathers.

Love the "Molted" reference. Sounds about right to me. BTW, I didn't think herons and ducks liked each other. ;)

Ciao chica...enjoy the week!
Tamarai said…
Nope, didn't think the answer was negative at all. You have shed some light on the ducks in my life. I have a chronic miserable sister duck (moderation) and 2 miserable friend ducks (lose). The sister duck is married to a lame duck, which I can tolerate.

Very insightful. I have a better idea how to get my ducks in a row now.

And I am honoured you dedicated this to me. Thanks. You are a swan.
Amy said…
All of a sudden, my world makes sense (well almost)

Amy
Chris said…
Excellent post! And kudos to you for maintaining the metaphor all the way through. Very nicely done. ;)

I am in the process of dealing with one of ths ducks you describe in my life right now. Having decided it would be too much drama (which would definitely water and feed THIS particular loon) to cast the duck out entirely, I am limiting my contact and keeping what interaction I do have entirely at the surface. So far, this is working, though there are times I wish this duck would fly south on his own.

What a great beginning to my long weekend! Thanks LLS! :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...I'm so glad you're getting your ducks in a row. Thank you for the inspiration for this article. Thanks you also for the kind words. ;)

Ciao bella...I think you're a pretty swell swan yourself! Enjoy the weekend.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Amy...good to hear from you! I'm glad you may have gained a bit of clarity from my story of ducks and friends.

Ciao chica...and watch out for those decoys! Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...ah yes, the consistent metaphor. Thanks for the kudos LLB! I'm so happy you liked this one.

I'm glad you recognize your negative duck and are moderating your time with him. Also, you raise a very good point...that sometimes kicking the duck out of the coop (immediately) creates more issues than perhaps dealing with it gradually...and phasing them out of your life step by step (or quack by quack). Sometimes better not to burn those bridges...as ducks will just fly on over anyway.

Ciao amigo...have a great weekend and enjoy your Friday vacation day!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...I'm always game for a little BBQ amongst friends. Especially if Duck is on the menu. ;)

Ciao bella...remember to baste well.
Kacey said…
Oh, my goodness --- I just love you! Metaphorically speaking.... I am a lucky duck to have found your nest here in the blogosphere.

We used to have a horse farm with a one acre pond. There were three ducks, who had somehow made reservations for our pond while enroute to and from warmer climes. There were two males and one female. We called them "the pair and a spare". The nesting couple kept this quack around, sort of riding shotgun for them, but if he ever got too near the duckess.....Look out Daffy! They always arrived and left as a trio...perhaps the spare was hoping for a chance to become a lucky duck, if the head duck took a dive.
I personally have a relative "decoy duckess", who has been fowling up my life for years. She flies freely, soaring into space, while somehow keeping a webbed foot firmly planted on my neck. I know she is a decoy, because she is covered with pecock feathers. Your great post has given me the courage to quietly rub catnip all over her nest and swim away with my beautiful drake, her brother.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
You've hit upon an "ugh" topic that's been bothering me for weeks now, since losing my dad.

A certain sibling duck has been collectively enabled due to people giving into its manipulative, put-down, extreme theatrics - and also due to the fact that the said duck has a charming side and can feign innocence/helplessness. Rescuing this duck eternally has played a part in my father's extreme stress in his last years.

Arghhh....Of all the ducks I hate and feel extreme contempt for, its these (bunch of censored words here) Drama King and Drama Queen ducks. They bring out my duck hunter side....Run, ducks! Armageddon is coming....sigh! If only it were that simple.

I take Chris's approach only because I'm a non-violent pacifist. I pick up my figurative hat, bid them 'good day' in the same tone as a certain Rhett Butler would've used while uttering the words "Frankly my dear....", and keep interactions to a minimum.

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
My dear Kacey...how could I have not put in the "fowl" reference...as in cry "fowl" or "fowling things up!" Leave it to you chica...I knew you would come through with your pencil sharpener.

Back at you on the metaphorical love thing. Enjoy your handsome Drake...I know he's a keeper, as are you! Good luck with the "Decoy Duckess." I actually feel a bit sorry for her...because I know her "fowlness" is no match for your intelligence and wit. Also, while you're at it, grab me one of her peacock feathers before you send her flying, webbed feet and all!

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...the Drama Ducks drive me crazy. It's all about them, all of the time. It sounds as if you have your "sights" set correctly, if you get my drift. Ready, aim...

Remember...what comes around goes around. Your patience will be rewarded some day. Until then, don't feed the ducks.

Ciao bella...keep me posted and have a great week.
Debbie said…
great post again! Love all the "Duckies" Have a great week.
Anonymous said…
GREAT advice, Teri (as usual)!

I know your post isn't specifically about husbands specifically but it reminds me of a stage play I saw once that kind of applies.

A female character asked an older woman how she could tell whether her husband was cheating or not. The grandma turns to woman and responds, "Just the fact that you're ASKING me that question tells you everything you need to know. Trust your intuition -- if you think it might be happening then you've already realized that something might be up."
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...gotta love those duckies - where would we be without them?

Ciao bella...thanks for the kind words and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...love the comment. There may not always be fire where there's smoke - but it's a pretty good indication, isn't it?

Ciao chica...have great week. By the way...do you remember the name of the play?
Ballpoint Wren said…
Quack!

(Just kidding!)

Ah, but don't the Chinese call a happy husband and wife team "Two Mandarin Ducks Swimming Along"?

Maybe Mandarins are just better ducks, all around. The Brahmins of the Duck World.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie...I love it! I do believe you are right. I think chinese ducks get along "swimmingly!"

Hope you are having a great weekend. I'm coming over soon to check out your Super Sabado offerings.

Ciao chica...take care and Quack, Quack back.
fjl said…
Speechless! fantastic! I laughed all the way through. I so identify. But are not bloggers all ducklings in a way.

I think the most disconcerting thing is that in the artistic life you can be a swan one week and then quacking like a duck the next.

When I was baptised as a babe there was a rubber duck floating on the water, the priest said 'that rubber duck has nothing to do with it Lord..' so what does that bode..? I don't know but I've always had a soft spot for them.

xx fab, keep it up.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...your laughter is infectious. Thank you chica!

I think we are all ducklings at one point or another. Then we have to decide what it will be...which way will we fly. Even if we choose to fly right, we sometimes get it all wrong and end up in a swamp somewhere. But...at least we try!

As for rubber duckies, I'm with you. I love them and even have one by the side of the tub, thanks to the husband!

Ciao bella...take care of you and keep on laughing. I love the sound!
Doug Bagley said…
Well said! I know your audience target is women but we guys can learn something from your blog too.
Thanks
Leann said…
I have a duck of a mother who is full of negativity. Sometimes I'd like to "de-quack" her, but thankfully my contact is limited.

Thanks for the great analogy on this one. I shake my head wondering exactly how your mind works.....now THAT is a scary thought!! And I mean that only in the best way possible :-)
I am pretty lucky in that I have no ducks close to me although I have in the past. Once again I thought you might have written this post with Blue Heron's last encounter with her cold duck [and and that duck's decoy friend who also wormed her way in] in mind. Too bad so many of us have these ducks in our lives.

Great post, as always.
DeAnn said…
I don't think it's too negative at all. Very wise, and well said, all.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...Thank you for your wonderful comment! I always hoped my audience would be both men and women...and I'm happy to say that it is! If it were "Here's to happy men," then I am sure women would stop by and see just what might constitute a happy male...or at least I hope they would!

By the way, I truly enjoy your site as well "Booger!" Please, keep representing the guys. I need you and Chris and Reach and the other guys who stop by once in awhile.

Ciao amigo...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...many people have tried to figure out my thought process in the past. To my knowledge, most just give up! Too scary I guess!

Thank you for the wonderful compliment...and glad you can moderate that mother of a duck!

Ciao bella...enjoy the week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...many people think I write about them specifically. Sometimes I do, but most of the time it is a "collective" thought process. The parallels in all of our lives link us to one another...and I try to make my point(s) keeping all possibilites open to interpretation. I am sorry for the Cold Duck and Decoy of a friend that "fowled" things up for our Blue Heron. I am glad she has no intention of any future "duck calling." I have many friends who have gone through something similar, myself included (although that was many years ago.)

Here's to your continued absence of ducks...here's to you for being the true blue friend to Blue Heron that I can tell you are. You are the "go to the mattresses" kind of chica.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear DeAnn...thank you. I appreciate your comment. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy your week, whatever you do.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...I thought as much. Your relationship is parallel to the friendship I have with with my best chica that I write about in "Friends don't let friends..."

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Hey all you fathers out there...I forgot to say "Happy Father's Day." Here's to you! I hope you enjoy your day.

Ciao...

Teri ;)
Nan said…
I've just stumbled in to your blog from the More Boards and I began to grin...I've had the duck discussion myself a time or two, having found myself surrounded by lame ducks at certain times.
I'm just getting used to the whole Blog Idea, but I've put a link to your blog on mine because, well, people need to beware of ducks.
Anonymous said…
For me the ducks aren't as much of a problem as the loons are, those are the real quacks.. no pun intended. Glad I stopped by this week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nan...thank you and welcome! I post a new article every Friday and hope you come on back by and join the discussion again.

Yes, we all need to beware the ducks - lame ducks can certainly "fowl" us up, as Kacey says.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Regina...I'm glad you stopped by this week also chica.

I agree that loons are a big problem. I think I called them "quacks" in my article also...but my pun was intended. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy the week.
Mellissa said…
Oh I can so relate! I dated a "Loonie" (Canadian) for a while and just recently a "Lame Duck"....It has taken me a while to realize that I am a Swan...and had no business with ducks in the first place.

Now that I know what I am, I know what I need to look for - and that is another Swan - and they mate for life!!!

Great post Teri!

xoxo,
Ladybug
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Ladybug Mellissa...yes, you are a swan. I have to laugh at the "Canadian loonie." Sorry. ;)

Here's to the swans (not ducks)...here's to knowing the difference!

Ciao bella. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week and watch out for those sneaky decoys!
Deeks Decoys said…
Thank you for this wonderful post. It is very informative and useful. Duck Decoy Skins

Deeks Decoys said…
Share great information about your blog , Blog really helpful for us .Greenhead Mallard

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred