The games people play...

My father taught me many valuable life lessons... including the pitfalls of debating politics or religion with friends, telling how much you paid for something, or boasting about how much you earned. When I was five he taught me how to ride a motorcycle—reinforcing the benefits of always looking forward. He also taught me how to fish, or rather the patience to not catch fish. All of these lessons have served me well through the years, but there is one thing my father taught me that I hold closest to my heart. He taught me how to play cards. This may seem an odd choice as a favorite, but card-playing taught me how to read people and how to bluff. Having spent most of my adult life in advertising, reading people and bluffing are the tools of my trade. Thanks to my father, I am well equipped.

A year ago, I surprised everyone (including myself) and went on an extended sabbatical to become—just what the world needs—another writer. When I found that I missed some elements of the ad game (deadlines and long hours not included), I started another game where I could bluff to my heart's content. That's right, I started Poker Night in the Hood. Four couples rotate the game monthly and we play until one person's left holding all the chips. The game was intended as a social event, with plenty of food and drinks—and an easy walk home without the worry of flashing lights and DUI classes looming in your future. In the beginning, Poker Night was great. But after a while, it seems that the "social" aspect of the game was not so social. You see, I forgot one of my father's most important lessons: Don't play games competitively with friends. And where there is money involved—as in our friendly little game—you can't avoid competition. Mix in some vodka, a little tequila and a few emotions…let's just say that it's a potent recipe best served sparingly. I remember well the lost stiletto of the first game. Oh how we laughed when we found it in the middle of the hors d'oeuvres six-hours later. I wish that we could recapture the spirit of that first game.

When Poker Night began, several participants had never played Texas hold 'em—but had watched it on TV. That first night everyone showed up with a ton of enthusiasm and in character. Hats, sunglasses and funny shirts became part of our new poker personas. We even had a special "Poker Bitch" hat for the first one out. This player would wear the shame of his (or her) defeat until the next game. Funny as this was that first night, it became apparent during the second game that not wearing this hat was equally as important as winning. The months went by and Poker Night continued, but the dynamics of the game changed. The competition was fierce. Gradually, to keep a clear mind, we all started drinking less...or not at all. Several players would watch the pros on ESPN for several days leading up to the game. And one woman— who had never even shuffled a deck of cards—was soon dealing like a pro and yelling “burn and turn” on every hand. "It’s all in the family" had no place in our little game. Husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends, all played against each other with a vengeance. The easy-going chatter of the first game was history and the stakes were high. Not so much monetarily, but symbolically. There were no friendly Howard Lederers or endearing Doyle Brunsons at our table. We had eight obnoxious Phil Hellmuths.

Yes, Poker Night became a serious event. The date was set well in advance with players arranging vacations around the game...and in one case, a funeral. When other neighbors asked to be included, we set up a waiting list in case a regular became ill or had to cancel. This never happened. Rain or shine, flu or cold, we all showed up with our fifty bucks. We even went out and bought professional clay poker chips. After several wins, one player started boasting that she was in training for the World Series of Poker. She was Vegas bound (and determined).

Yes, I really should have heeded dear old dad's advice. After a few months of Poker Night, none of the participants got together—even in smaller groups—to do anything but play poker. Rainy days we played poker, sunny days by the pool we played poker. New Year's Eve we played poker. We became addicted to the game and the competition. Plus, we only saw one side of our friends anymore. The ruthless side—as they went in for the kill and gloried at each other's losses. Relationships began to suffer. Friendships began to deteriorate. It wasn't pretty, nor was it healthy for maintaining friendships that had nothing to do with game playing of any kind—that is until Poker Night came along. Did I mention that one friend even threatened to leave her husband if he didn't "speed up his play." I think she quoted Kenny Rogers. Something about, "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." Frankly, I prefer this to "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille."

So it was, that after my husband and I hosted the most recent game, I tried to remember talking to any of these friends about something other than the previous game or the next game. When I realized it had been months, I decided that it was time to make some changes to our "not-so-friendly anymore" game. To my surprise, everyone agreed. And we were all relieved. This is interesting, as no one had ever complained or even mentioned any reservations about the toll the game might be taking on our friendships. How ironic. It seems that everyone was bluffing, and not one of us was really that skilled at reading other people. Not even me.

The first thing to go was the "Poker Bitch" hat. We decided that everyone should get some portion of their buy-in back...no matter how poorly they played. Then we made the game quarterly and lowered the buy-in. Most importantly though, we started drinking again. Socializing. No more of this conditioning ourselves for the big game. So what if a shoe ends up in the cheese platter. Martini anyone?

I do hope these changes will keep Poker Night alive...and restore our shaky friendships. After all, I'd like to believe that these relationships were built on a much sturdier foundation than a deck of cards. I also find myself looking forward to our little game for the first time in months—and the sight of our friends toddling off down the street later. A little bit wobbly, a little bit giggly, and perhaps a little bit eager to get home for some private fun and games of their own. As for our aspiring neighborhood poker professional, I wish her the best of luck. Maybe one day she'll make it to the final table in Vegas—or perhaps she'll come to her senses and realize that she already has the best final table in her own dining room. After all, who needs Vegas? What happens in the hood stays in the hood...unless it ends up here.

© 2005 Teresa G. Franta

Dedicated to my father, who died when I was fifteen, and also to Craig "Hellmuth," who is very much alive. We still love you Craig, no matter how slowly you play.

Comments

Zoozan said…
Interesting that they all felt the same as you but hadn't said.

I never learnt how to bluff - I'd be wiped out playing poker
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Zoonan, I chalk it up to the survival of the fittest...no one wanted to admit weakness. Ironic that in not speaking up, we were all weak. Too bad we didn't speak up sooner. We missed out on a lot of fun.

Thanks for stopping by...and maybe you can't bluff, but I can tell from your posts that you can read people pretty darn well.

Ciao Bella...
Shankari said…
Hi Teri! Was waiting for my Friday fix. Poker's not my game too! Nor is chess :( With my kinda brains, thats way too tough! But a sweet post- who bells the cat! Yes, I prefer "Fine time..." too!
Shankari said…
Oops! Botched it reg. Lucille! :(
B.S. said…
Hi Teri! You've inspired me to wonder about the role of games in our lives. I've been an oddball- even as a child, I steered clear of games, especially cards. However, during my adult life, pre-child, I discovered Pictionary. I was good at it and loved it, but took it WAY too seriously. I recall becoming enraged at a boyfriend's mother once, very inappropriately, when she fell short as my Pictionary partner. I had to win at any cost.

You also reminded me of the regular card parties my parents used to hold and attend. This could explain my rejection of such games- I recall the boisterous alcohol-fueled frivolity which kept me awake, or even worse, the "away" games which meant I'd have to endure a sitter. My parents never shared their cards with me- the cards became the enemy.

Teri, it sounds to me as if you enjoy an incredible social life, especially now that you've restored the original "spirit" to your card games!
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh...Betty. Boy do I remember pictionary. By brother was lethal! And it always ended in an argument. Eventually my mom banned us from playing together. As regards social life...I worked 95-hours plus for over 12-years, and I think I am "catching up" for lost time.

Also, for years I didn't write about anything other than what clients paid me two write about. I thought I had dried up inside. Once I started having a life again, the words began to flow. When I am out and about, I hear, overhear and observe things that somehow collide in my brain and eventually end up as an article.

Here's to you, Betty...thank you for sharing.

Sincerely yours...
Sideways Chica said…
You picked a fine time to visit me, Shankari! Thanks for stopping by...and you never know, watch a little poker on TV and you may start yelling "burn and turn" also. Or you could be a card-shark. Trying to hustle me into thinking you can't play. Hmmmm....are you bluffing?

Ciao for now...
Chris said…
Wow. I can see how that would happen, and I am impressed you all managed to pull out of the nasty competitive tailspin.

I'm pretty lousy at most games, other than the standard board games. I have lost just about every game of chess I've ever played, and I am atrocious at cards. I'm a fair pool player and bowler, but am so bad at sports that I developed a life-long aversion to all competetive athletics. You should see the looks I get from other men when I tell them I don't like sports.

The thing is, though, I love to play games, particularly chess and cards. It doesn't matter that I don't win, I just enjoy playing. And let me tell you, there is nothing that annoys an ultra-competetive person more than an opponent who just doesn't care if they win or lose. Often, after a spectacular bit of losing, I will do a little "defeat dance", just to show how funny I think the whole thing is. I have actually disgusted people with that, and have been accused of "not taking it seriously".

Another great post. And I love that you update on Fridays. What a wonderful start to the weekend.

Oh, and I did see your bald frog story. It's way better than mine. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...not so sure about the bald frog story, but thank you anyway.

As regards to your "not-so-sore" loser attitude, I can imagine the frustration of the "I can't really brag now, can I?" winner. I love it.

Here's to the "defeat" dance...and here's to chess. Check anyone?
Angel said…
My Grandpa taught me how to play poker and craps when I was 6.

Spent an awful lot of time at OTB and Saratoga racetrack with him as well.

Sounds awful but they are some of my best memories as he really included me in the events---I was picking winners at the track by reading the horse and jockeys with consistancy by age 12.

Taught the boy wonder seven card no peek at age 4.

We still play poker whenever the holidays or we have more than 24 hours all together.

Very SILLY poker.

Wish I lived in your neighborhood.
Sideways Chica said…
Angel...wish you were here too! Or me there. BTW, my father regularly took me to Santa Anita Racetrack when I was a wee lass, and my mother has only just found out. Crazy, but they are great memories...and perhaps why I always try and look at both sides of a story. I learned a lot hanging out with the guys. No wonder my advertising specialty is motorsports!

We play silly poker with the family also. No chips, we use pistachios...and if I am winning, then my "boys" start eating my pistachios when they "think" I'm not looking.

Ahhhh....fun.

See you soon.
Priyamvada_K said…
That was insightful - on what playing cards teach you.

We never played Poker, but a bunch of us cousins played card games every summer while we were growing up. The loser gets royally teased with all kinds of annoying songs, and the amount of teasing is directly proportionate to the number of games won previously. And if you won all day and lost the last game of the day (as I did once), run for your life :). You'd get teased wherever you go, offered handkerchiefs to "wipe your tears", handed candy "to help poor Ms./Mr. loser feel better" etc.

Cardplaying taught me to be a good sport and withstand teasing.

Priya.
P.S: I feel like part of a get-together every Friday, at your blogsite :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...sounds as if you got your fair share of teasing...and learned a bit too from the games.

I like the Friday get-together too. Unfortunately today I have to go to a holiday function with my chicas, and will be gone until this evening. But I do know that I will hear and see plenty for a new article next week!

I will get back to everybody later tonight...or in the morning. You see, for once, I am not the designated driver.

Until then...please talk amongst yourselves. I can't wait to read (and reply to) all of your comments.

Thanks for your support!
Sarah Beth said…
Aaah, nothing is more fun than getting a few friends at the table for a good game of whatever. I tried to get a Baldersash Bash going with co-workers, but it never quite took off. You're lucky to have such a great circle of friends.

I enjoyed the parallels you drew between poker at the table and poker in life ... and I laughed hysterically at the woman who thought she knew "when to hold 'em, or when to fold 'em."

I believe I have developed quite a little Friday habit. :-)
My dad taught us to play poker around the table for pennies when we were kids. With 4 kids and mom & dad it was always a fun game. Minorly competitve, but never too serious. Now we play on family vacations and at holidays. Had a great drunken game after Thanksgiving dinner. Lots of fun with almost no comptetion. My darling boyfriend has never played poker and still does not understand what went on, but gamely participated. It works really well when the chips are simply chips.

I look forward to Fridays so I can read your new post. If it's o.k., I plan to put you under my permanent links.
Leann said…
That was a wonderful story about family and friendship. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Izzy...your comments are right on the money...or should I say poker chip? How you react to winning or losing says a lot about a person's character. I "bet" I would enjoy playing cards with you.

Here's to gracious winners and good losers.

Ciao...and thanks for stopping by...

P.S. Cranium and Guess-It are my personal favorites.
Sideways Chica said…
Sarah...please don't break your "habit." That would be balderdash! Thanks for coming by and participating in my round table.

Here's to Fridays...

Ciao
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...please link away, and thank you. I remember playing "family" cards with pennies also...great memories that I will always cherish. Thank you for sharing...and take care of that darling boyfriend.

Ciao
Sideways Chica said…
Leann...thank you for being a loyal reader. It makes it all worthwhile when I know someone is reading, appreciating, relating or simply smiling.

Here's to a big grin...

Ciao
Unknown said…
i love your blog terri, you are a very talented writer, best wishes and Christmas hugs from janey in London (but scottish)
www.janeygodley.co.uk
Sideways Chica said…
Janey...really, back at you. You are extraordinary. Have ordered your book.

Everyone, if you have not checked out Janey's blog, please do so...wonderful, funny, as I said, extraordinary.

Ciao my Scottish friend...and Merry Christmas.
Nicole said…
First, I'm really impressed that you're a card shark. :)

Second, I'm psyched that you are (were) in advertising since that was my chosen profession at one point (now I'm a web designer).

Third, I'm amazed that a game of cards amongst friends could turn into something so serious. Good to know, just in case I ever planned my own poker gathering in the hood. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh Nicole...now I can connect the dots. Another advertising maven. so to speak. No wonder you are so clever with words and can read people so easily. Bet you can bluff pretty well too. Hmmmm? Also explains your great site, which I thoroughly enjoy.

And if you ever do plan your own game in the hood...I suggest an hour glass timer. May not be what the pros do in Vegas, but it sure does speed up play...four-hours vs. seven.

Thanks for stopping by...ciao!
Anonymous said…
Fifty buck buy in??? Damn, no wonder no one wanted to lose! hahaha. It just so happens tonight is our monthly poker date. I really look forward to it. I am the only female player as well as the eldest. I gotta tell you tho, those boys have learned (the hard way) not to underestimate Kismet.
Love your blog as well as your parallels (did I spell that correctly?) of life.
So glad you gave up the long work hours and caught up with your muse. I know what long work days will do to you (as evidenced by my lack up posting updates!).

Merrry Christmas.

~K!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kismet...may the poker gods be with you tonight, and may all your bluffs come true. Those poor, poor boys, I would never, ever underestimate you...

Ciao for now...my parallel friend and thanks for stopping by.
fjl said…
Very interesting indeed. So much of my life is holding my cards tight to my chest, as I think you know. I tend to avoid the card table! Yes, no 'cards' with friends. But it's hard to get to that place. It's not a given.
Your Dad sounds innovative and attentive.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...for years I've "held my cards tight to my chest" also, as I think you know. Now, every once in awhile, I let someone peek. Interesting to see their reaction...and it makes life more interesting. ;)

Here's to fathers...and their life lessons.

Thanks for stopping by.

Ciao...
Anonymous said…
I love your story. You always have a little something for everyone. Thank you.
Sideways Chica said…
Amyleez...I'm glad I had something for you. Thanks for stopping by.
DTclarinet said…
Sounds like your father was a good, solid man.

The behavior of your friends involved in obsessive poker playing sounds a lot like mine when I got too involved with blogging. I'm still trying to catch up with alienated friends!

seeyaround, Teri,

glittering,
G
Sideways Chica said…
Garnet...I hope this means that you are feeling better. My father was old-fashioned, and I wish that I knew him better before he died. Having said that, I am fortunate to have the memories that I do.

Thanks for the visit. Ciao
moderator said…
This reminds me of a time when divaguy and I joined a group that got together to play Trivial Pursuit early in our marriage (this was maaaaany years ago, before all the organized competitions that go on now). After a few months, the friendly competitions turned vicious - alliances were made that would put Survivor to shame, blatent accusations of reading answers in advance were made, and friendships and marriages were strained. We decided we liked each other too much for these activites, and decided to skip right to the "fun and games" at home. Glad to hear you salvaged the original intent of your get togethers!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Diva Chicks...not sure if it's safe to say yet that we have "salvaged" our original intent. Only time will tell...literally! The true test will be New Year's Eve. "Should auld aquaintance be forgot.."

Reading answers in advance. Really? I would never even think of that. I'm laughing at the thought. If I ever did something like that it would have to be part of a "practical joke," and all but one person would be in on it. Hope I didn't give you any ideas.

Here's to fun and games of our own. After all, two's company and three's a p.i.t.a.

Ciao Divas...
Sideways Chica said…
Kacey...you have me worried. Where are you chica?
Anonymous said…
Good for you for 'listening' to your life again. "All work and no play" and all that... The weekly articles are great. And kudos for speaking up about poker night.

Having grown up in a game-playing family, I can relate to the escalating viciousness of a regular game. I have mixed memories, but have been able to separate the people from the games. I still really love games.

My son has been playing chess for 2 years, since he was 4. Poor little guy - it's the one game I don't like much, although I taught him (my mistake). He's a sore loser (and winner), poor little guy. It seemed to come with him. He wants to win at any cost.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I still get so excited to get a comment! :) My newbieness is showing.

I'll be back Friday.
Kacey said…
From a bar in Toledo, next to the depot.....Well. actually this is coming from across the river from Toledo... I was in withdrawal without your Friday post, Teri. Hubby and I drove to Ft. Myers on the 9th and back on the 19th.---No computer server there...I digress. I just wanted to mention that the older you get, the more you notice that everything in life becomes a game and the very competitive people have to win. It ain't how you play the game... it's winning that counts! Motor sports?---That's beating the red car at the four-way stop! Eating dinner--- first one done wins--burp! I'm happy that you had a dad, who would teach you the "good" things in life. Keep up your great writing---I smell a book coming. We will be in Florida by New Year's Day for about 4 months and I will be getting a server. You have an avid or rabid fan here. Thanks for missing me!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...your little guy sounds like a little boy I once knew...who has grown up into a pretty gracious winner, and not-so-sore-loser. Give it time.

Thanks for coming by...and keep up the good work!

Ciao...
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh Kacey...so clever. Love your comment and glad you were just 'sans' server and not sick or anything like that.

Yes you were missed...but worth the wait. Competition is everywhere...and here in SoCal at this time of year, try parking a car at South Coast Plaza. The ultimate contest of which I refuse to partake. You see, I know when to walk away, and when to run.

Enjoy Florida and you best be sure you get that server!

Ciao...
That was a great story. It's difficult when friendships get wrapped up into one aspect. It's great that you were able to speak up and change things before it was too late. Fantastic post and blog.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear C.C.: I love your compliment and your concept. Thanks for stopping by.

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
I think it should be Craig "Hellmouth." Especially since I know he is reading this article. No Poker Biatch hat for me!
Sideways Chica said…
Suzysays...play nice, or no poker at all for you! ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Welcome puremood. Back at you. Thanks for stopping by and participating. I post a new article every Friday, so I hope you come back and visit again.

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
I've stayed away from competitive games for a while now - especially with friends. I grew up playing sports and I definitely threw elbows and caused a few bones to break, but when it comes to competing with your friends, it's not worth it. I choose my battles - because I ALWAYS win.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear "A Cat"...yes, choose your battles wisely if you want to win. I know you are a dash (read "very") competitive, so it is best to stay away from those "friendly" games that can turn nasty. Especially since I ALWAYS win also.

Here's to choosing our battles wisely!

Ciao Chica...

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred