Please...keep the change.

How many times have you heard someone say, “I thought I could change him” or, “I thought she would change?” Trying to change people seems to be a national pastime. I say “trying,” because that’s all it is…an attempt, which is generally unsuccessful. I remember a friend in college who was convinced that she could change a gay friend of ours—if he would just have sex with her. Just like that, she believed that she had the power to change his sexuality. So confident (and relentless) in her quest was she, that our gay friend transferred to another college—without putting her theory to test, and without leaving a forwarding address. Hmmm…I wonder why?

Think about it. How many success stories have you heard? Sure, you may get your significant other to wear the clothes you pick out, including those stylish Italian loafers. But isn’t this just window dressing? The same old model with a new coat of wax? When the wax wears off, and you’re not around, I’m betting the window dressing stays in the closet and those ratty shoes and torn jeans take center stage.

So why then do we try to change other people? I had a boyfriend who unsuccessfully tried to change me once. He gave me a Coach bag for my birthday. I thought it was great—until he informed me that he purchased the largest bag available so that I would be more organized. Not could, but would. It seems that he had actually looked in my old purse (which is another matter entirely). The Coach bag is now considered retro—and it’s still new in the box. Like a leopard, I held on to my original, unorganized spots...and let go of the boyfriend.

You can't force change. It happens at its own pace. It’s a natural progression. Seasons change, the time changes, and exchange rates change. People do not usually change at the will of others. Perhaps my purse is more organized today than it was back then, but it has nothing to do with someone showing me the error of my ways. It has to do with my state of mind—and the fact that I reported a credit card lost, which I found two months later at the bottom of my not-so-organized purse. Like I said…natural progression.

Then there are the "Popeyes." You know, using the old "I yam what I yam" line to get away with everything. At a small dinner party recently, a friend announced that he left a note on his wife's pillow that morning. Evidently, she was mad about something he had done the night before. He wouldn’t share "the deed," and his wife was in the powder room. But what this friend wanted to share with everyone—what he was so proud of—was what he wrote on this note. Was it an apology to his wife for his actions? No. Was it an explanation? Well, of sorts. The note said, “I am not perfect. I never have been perfect. You know this, so why do you expect me to be perfect now?” I guess he gave her a “perfectly” valid explanation for his actions and I'm sure this is why he is currently sleeping on their “perfectly” comfortable sofa instead of in their "perfectly" comfortable bed. Note to “not-so-perfect” husband: Nobody really expects perfection, so don’t be so proud of your not-so-perfect status…it’s a little creepy.

I suppose this subject is on my mind because any day now I expect to hear from a good friend that he and his girlfriend broke up. Why? Because “she tried to change him.” This friend knows that his girlfriend doesn’t like the way he dresses, how much he drinks, or his beautiful collection of antique furniture. But...he thinks that just because his girlfriend doesn’t nag him (his words), that she loves him as he is…and doesn’t expect him to change. I know better. She’s simply biding her time. Bide. Bide. Bide. Eventually, she’ll make her move. Bit by bit she’ll try to make little changes that won’t set off any alarms. It won’t work. First comes the smoke, then the three-alarm fire. Only then, will my antique-loving, Jack Daniels-sipping, comfortably-dressed friend change. Not his clothes, not his drinking habits, and certainly not his décor. He’ll simply change girlfriends! Then, she’ll call me up and say, “I don’t know what happened, I love him so much, and I really thought I could change him.” Then he’ll call me up and say, “Hey, I’ve met a new girl. Let’s get together for a few drinks. Dress casual—jeans, sweats, and let’s do it at my place. I have a new antique chest I want to show you.” Yes, I foresee only one change here—the name of his new girl. For her sake, I hope she's into antiques.

Isn't it time to accept that what we see is generally what we get. Maybe we can put this "changing people" thing to bed for good. I propose a written declaration. One that says something like this… “If I, (your name here), ever pursue a relationship with the premise that I can and will change the other person to be more to my liking, then I deserve what I get. My bad, my bed, I’ll lie in it. Furthermore, I promise that I will never, ever, under any circumstance call up my friends and say, ‘I thought I could change him’ or ‘her.’” Why? Because you can’t. Just like Popeye, he is who he is. If Olive Oyl couldn’t change him after all these years, what makes you think that you can? For that matter, Ms. Oyl doesn't appear to have changed much either.

So gals (and guys), the moral of this story is to always look smart. If you need new glasses, get them, don’t ever wear tinted glasses inside, always keep your glasses clean, and finally, don’t ever stare into the sun. If it is true that "what we see is what we get," let’s make darn sure that we “see” what we’re getting…and getting into. Oh, I almost forgot—always give your eyes a chance to "settle in." Looks can be deceiving, actions too...especially for the first six months. And if you accidentally (or otherwise) hook-up with a toad—with no metamorphosis in sight—you know know the rules. Your bed and your bad...or should I say your lily pad!

© 2005 Teresa G. Franta

Ribbitt: note to my husband. This doesn't mean you can dress the way you want every day. Let's compromise. 60/40...guess who gets the 60? Here's a hint...it's not you!

Comments

Sarah Beth said…
Thoroughly enjoyed your essay!
Sideways Chica said…
Thanks Sarah...and welcome! I am still working out the bugs and editing this article. May all be different in the morning.

Ciao for now!

P.S. I post a new article every Friday. Hope to see you again sometime.
Priyamvada_K said…
Teri,
Enjoyed reading this. However, I sympathize with the guy who wrote "I'm not perfect". Must've put up with a perfection-seeking woman for a LONG time, then wrote this out of sheer frustration. Probably loves her, and wishes she'd accept him as-is.

Priya.
http://priyamanaval.blogspot.com
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...I understand your sympathy for my "Popeye" friend, and perhaps there is some truth in this that I have not allowed myself to recognize. But, for the most part, Popeye's wife puts up with a lot from her spinach-eating man. And we all love him as he is...most of the time. It's just that sometimes a little "Brutus" shows up.

Ciao for now...
Kacey said…
I still love anything you put in print! Keep going, Teri. In regards to changing people, the only ones who can be changed are babies and incontinent oldies. Why change what is was you fell in love (or heat) with --- you might not like the wishy-washy person that appears after your make-over? If you fell for a dominant alpha male, would you really enjoy having a "Barney Fife" around for the rest of your life?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I wouldn't have it any other way! Here's to the alpha males and females of the world. And the "Barney Fifes" also. To each his (or her) own is my motto.

Thanks for your support!

Ciao for now...
Priyamvada_K said…
Teri,
Was hesitating to write this, but after seeing your reply, decided to anyway. On "Popeye", here's a link to something I wrote a while back:

http://priyamanaval.blogspot.com/2005/04/lovers-caveat.html

So you can see why I sympathize with him.

Popeye Priya ;).
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhh Priya...loved your link. Thank you for sharing. Yes I agree with you. I also know that the pursuit of perfection can make us crazy, and sad...and it is a fruitless and unnecessary quest. No one should try to "perfect" others...it's just not right. I know from experience the "pressure" of trying to be the perfect wife, daughter, mother, writer and boss. The point I was trying to make though, is that some people do or say things and then hide behind the "I yam what I yam" excuse. Sometimes it's just too convenient.

Thank you for joining in my round table. You make me think...and entertain a different point of view...and that's what my site is all about. BTW, my Popeye friend will be so happy you sympathize with him. I'll be sure to tell him.

Here's to happy (not perfect) women!

Ciao,
Priyamvada_K said…
Ah. I get the point about using it as a coverall for everything. Thanks for the comment in my blogspot.

Indeed, your site is an interesting discussion place.

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Priya...you are so welcome... always!
B.S. said…
Hi Teri,

I recognized myself as Popeye from the past. I remember pleading repeatedly with a boyfriend for him to accept me as "I yam." He was asking for things (like more attention) I couldn't deliver because I just wasn't that into him. Looking back, I'm not proud of my behavior. It would have been better to have honestly told him I couldn't give what he wanted because the commitment wasn't there, not because "I yam what I yam." Yes, the boyfriend ideally would have accepted me as I am, but I was insincerely involved, and that was the point. When I am sincerely committed, I am capable, I think, of giving the guy enough attention.

You know, Teri, I had never thought of it this way before. Thank you for stirring me.

Ciao,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...we have all probably done this before, I know that I have. But you explain it best. "Insincerely involved." I love it. Can't wait to use this phrase in an article...if you don't mind.

Keep on whirling...

Ciao,
Nicole said…
It seems like it would be a lot less stress on us women to STOP trying to change the ones we're with.

But maybe it's something in our genes -- no matter how much we try, most of us can't help but try to make at least a few tweaks. ;)

Either way, the best thing we can probably do is determine who we're looking for BEFORE we get into a relationship. That way, hopefully we'll be happy with who we get?
Sideways Chica said…
Well said Nicole! I think you have something about the Genes...but I spell it jeans, as I am always trying to get my husband into jeans a little more "with it."

Ciao for now, and thanks for stopping by...
moderator said…
Ah, the eternal quest to change the human being into the ideal. For all the talk about tolerance and diversity in our society, as individuals we have very little patience with the human-ness of those closest to us. It requires so much more of one to sustain a relationship with another person than it does to pursue a constant image improvement campaign on that individual. Sad to say, there are many people who do want that Stepford wife/husband/friend - someone who will meet their needs, but won't be a bother by having any of their own needs.
Sideways Chica said…
Diva Chicks...well said, and so true. Here's to tolerance and diversity!

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
Good article Teri. You made me think again! I really like the discussion. So many things to consider from all sides. I have to think some more before I venture an opinion. I just wanted you to know that I was here. Thinking. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kyra...don't think too hard. You might decide to change something that doesn't need changing. Maybe things are perfect the way they are.

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
No surprise for me under the tree this year. I can guess that Santa's bringing me a new pair of shoes and a new pair of levis. :)
Sideways Chica said…
To the "patient husband:

I see you finally learned to make a comment on my site. Be careful...you might not get anything under the tree.
Shankari said…
hahaha!
Atl(e)ast, you got the husband to post. Mine still doesn't! If theres one thing which we've learnt in this relationship, 16 years and we're NOT separated is that we need to stop changing each other!
If this is indeed a sample of the Friday posts, I here every Saturday morning! Our Sat. mornings in India would be closer to your Friday nights!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...

You caught us! 16-years is a great accomplishment. Congratulations! Having said that, I'm not sure I want the self-acclaimed "patient husband" reading my posts. But, since he wants to, I'm not about to try and "change" his mind!

Ciao...and have a great Saturday.
Leann said…
I found your blog through a comment you left on one of my "regulars" and thoroughly enjoyed it. After being in two relationships where I thought I could "change" them, I now realize people only change when they want to, not because YOU want them to. My bad for not learning that sooner.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...welcome and thanks for stopping by. I agree that if change is to occur, then there must be self-motivation. Don't feel bad for "your bad." I firmly believe in "better late than never."

I post a new article every Friday...I hope you stop by and visit again.

Ciao for now...and here's to keeping the change!
fjl said…
Thanks x
I think it's all about passing someone over, and not seeing what they truly have to give. Ever get frustrated for being passed over or misunderstood? I know I do. And guess what- it's at those times I can list the folk who want me to change.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear fjl...very good point.

Very few people "get" me...and I cherish the ones that do. My sense of humor, my sense of right and wrong, my dreams and goals. I think this is true for everyone to a degree.

Here's to a very short list of those who don't get us, and those who want us to change.

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
Good topic. I agree to *here's to diversity and tolerance.* God knows my friends are tolerant of me. That's why they are my friends. This includes my husband. He is my best friend.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Suzysays...you are a lucky woman. Here's to good friends, and knowing the difference!

Ciao for now...
DTclarinet said…
Teri, this is my first time here. what fun ruminations. wonderful writing. whirling betty says you post weekly. I'm thinking of switching to that schecule, too.

Good point about the "I'm not perfect" excuse. I have to be careful, sometimes I use it.

seey,
Garnet
Sideways Chica said…
Garnet...welcome. Thank you for your kind words, and back at you! I love whirling betty. Since my site is not really a blog, but more of a "forum," weekly postings allow me the time to write (and rewrite) an in-depth article, get my photography done for the article, and then do my other writing jobs to earn necessary money...and also have some semblance of a life. Weekly also allows a nice discussion to get going for the next 7-days. Honestly, I have learned so much from the comments...and I think others have also.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope to see you here again. I post on Fridays.

Ciao for now...
Heartcrossings said…
So totally agree with that. One lesson I learnt from my divorce is never to marry a someone you feel compelled to change.

If you cannot accept each other in peace as is it's best to move on and find someone who you will not need to reform.

We both tried to change each other until the person became who we liked a lot better. Turns out that I chose to leave well before the makeover was complete.
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh....heartcrossings, good to hear from you. So sorry you had to learn this lesson at the expense of a relationship. But it does sound as if you learned it well. Others reading your post, who may be entertaining a relationship based on future "changes," may learn from your lesson as well. Thank you so much for sharing.

Here's to you.

Ciao.
Anonymous said…
LOL at the lily pad. Great post.
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh...amyleez. I've missed you. Welcome back, and I am only too happy to oblige with the occasional rhyming pun...just for fun!

Ciao for now...
fjl said…
Yes, that is certainly a good remedy for unhappiness! it's true that we cherish those who 'recognise us', but why should it be so rare..?
Men recognise one another so much more easily- although they're just as quick to condemn one another, on the other hand.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear fjl...frustrating I know. We think we have it all figured out and then it "changes."

It's as I said..."Here's to a very short list of those who don't get us, and those who want us to change." Let's add...And the wisdom to recognize and cherish those who do "get" us. Male or female.

Thanks for popping back in...
Angel said…
It's quite simple really-----we need to teach ourselves and the youngsters to "SEE" people as they are and not what we think they could be.

Fall in love with the real and toss out the fantasy.

If you have to create the ideal then it's not....um, ideal.

Yay for over simplification!
Anonymous said…
Hi Teri,
I'm enjoying the discussion here. I like it when blogs give us something to think about and discuss. Good job.

~K!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kismet...welcome. The discussion always amazes me.

Please be sure to check out the sites of the participants as well. They are amazing also. I post a new article every Friday. Come back and join in anytime.

BTW, I also hate when anyone reads "MY" magazine before I do.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel...I knew I could count on you to bring up a point I had completely left out. Yes' let's teach the children well. I can tell that you and the "hubster" have the real thing and that you fell in love with the "real" not the ideal. Well done, and thanks for sharing with us.

Here's to the real, not the ideal! (this reminds me of your recent post...Barbie anyone?)

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Izzy...welcome and thanks for stopping by and "participating." I don't understand why some feel the need to "change" other people. Tolerance starts at home. I believe in what I call the "Heinz 57" rule. If we were all the same, how boring would that be...and I believe this applies to all facets of life.

Here's to the Heinz 57 rule...may it catch on worldwide.

I post a new article every Friday. Hope you come back and visit again.

Ciao...
Hi Teri,

I really like your writing and thanks for visiting my embryo.

Juliemora
Sideways Chica said…
Welcome Julimora...and back at you. I post a new article every Friday, and I hope you visit again!

Re embryo...one thing is for sure...it will grow. Have fun.

Ciao for now...
Sarah said…
Nice blog! I learned about it from your post on Dave Barry's blog. I've added it to my list of faves.

-scat
B.S. said…
Hi again Teri,
I finally checked in to read your comments! I'd be most honored if you would use my phrase someday.

Looking forward to Friday (your new post)!
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Welcome Scat...and thanks for stopping by and participating. I post a new article every Friday, so I hope to see you back again. This Friday article will be..."The Games People Play"...about the perils of playing games competitively with friends...for money!

Ciao...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...glad you came back by. Thanks for the new catchphrase. I will use it carefully...and sincerely.

Here's to being sincerely involved...and speaking up when we aren't!

Ciao chica...
Chris said…
Wow. That was a great essay. I'm new here, only one post in, and I'm already loving this blog. You have a great style and a wonderful way with words.

Off to read more...
Sideways Chica said…
Welcome Chris! Thanks for stopping by and participating. I post a new article every Friday...

My site may be called "Here's to Happy Women," but it's not just for women. You see we all have a vested interest in Happy Women...don't we? So stop by and visit anytime.

New article goes up just after midnight. It's called "The Games People Play."

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
I'm so curious. Do you ladies go looking for clothes or shoes that don't fit you or the occasion? I can't imagine going looking for a man for a relationship that I would have to change. I'll grant you it may be tempting sometimes, but I don't think it's ever wise.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Jean...welcome! I agree...trying to change someone is not wise, nor does it work. My point is that we shouldn't go trying to change someone...but unfortunately some people do try, and try and try and try....

Ciao chica...thanks for stopping by - and enjoy!

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred