Put on a happy fake...I mean face!

Let's face it, we've all been in situations where we're supposed to be either happy or sad for a good friend...and the feelings just aren't there. So what do we do? Do we pretend or dare I say fake it? I'm talking about joyous occasions, like weddings and babies—or tragic situations like divorce and death. The major, momentous events—milestones on the everyday path of life. Consider this: Just because it makes us feel better to say something, do we really need to say it? And is it okay to fake it if our intentions are good?

When faced with the announcement of a significant event from a good friend, the golden rules of friendship dictate that we act and react a certain way. It's much the same as the little white lies we tell everyday to people we hardly know. Like, "I love your new hair color," when in fact we don’t. Or "I’ve never seen a cuter baby," when in fact we've seen a lot of cuter babies. We've all done it. We're all guilty. Or are we? Guilty, I mean. The word guilty implies that we've done something morally wrong. Have we? Maybe we've just done the right thing...taken the high road. Why hurt someone's feelings unnecessarily. Take me for instance. I'm known for being honest and direct with my friends. But there are times when even I bite my tongue. And no, as all of my friends dutifully read and critique my columns, I won’t elaborate here.

Weddings are a good example. When a good friend announces that she is getting married, you may not be truly happy for her for a myriad of reasons. Maybe the thought of being a bridesmaid again (and possibly never a bride) has you down. Perhaps it's just the thought of having to throw another bridal luncheon you dread. Or maybe you're just afraid of losing your best friend. Should you keep these thoughts to yourself? Or should you speak up? Unless your friend is about to unknowingly marry an axe murderer (and you know she is not), I suggest that you choose your words wisely. Will it make your best friend feel better to know that her special day is a big "pain in the ass bummer" for you? Make sure that you have her best interest at heart and not your own. Especially if you want to be a part of her life after she's married.

Let's say that a good friend announces that she's pregnant again and is hoping for a boy. She's very excited and happy. You're not. You're thinking about how much she already complains of exhaustion from running after her two little girls. Plus, all of the dirty diapers and sleepless nights she went through the last time around. Then there's that weight she hasn't lost yet. What do you say? Are you going to rain on her parade? As a caring friend you have an obligation to be honest. But maybe this is not an honesty issue. Maybe you are suffering from what I call the "long memory syndrome." This involves our memories being much longer than our friend's memories. For some reason we tend to forget, or gloss over, the details of our own lives, yet we have an uncanny knack for storing away the details of our friends' lives. This is also called self-justification: Making excuses for our life choices—but not for our friends' life choices. Remember, this is her life, not yours. And just because a friend grouses occasionally, doesn't mean it's a permanent situation. Maybe she's just having a bad day. If she forgets, shouldn't you? Besides, life has a way of working itself out. Did I hear someone say nanny?

The "long memory syndrome" also applies to family...especially mom and dad. I have several friends who've told their mother or father (sister or brother) about problems in their relationships throughout the years. And much the same as our good friends, family members also tend to have very long memories...and they rarely hesitate to speak up. They also hold grudges. Once you tell your parents something, you can never forget. You see, many relationship problems can be fixed, and then you move on. But it's difficult to move on when others not only remember the bad, but bring it up over and over again, year after year after year.

Sad news can also take us by surprise. Perhaps you're distraught over the death of your family dog. It was your husband's dog before you married. You always complained that you had to feed him, cleanup after him, and that he took up most of bed, snored all night and tracked dirt in from the backyard every day (note: the word "dog" is interchangeable here). Do you really want your friends to remind you about all of your complaints? You already feel guilty. Besides, you really did love the little beast. Your grief is real. So what should your friends say? Should they remind you that your dog used to get hair all over everybody, and impolitely stick his nose where he shouldn't? Of course not. You want them to reach out and fake it...unless of course, it isn't really the dog that we're talking about and a lot more than nose-sticking was going on.

Perhaps this subject is on my mind because 'tis the season for faking...I mean giving and receiving. Have you been practicing your happy face? How many gifts have you received that you've said you really, really liked, when in fact you don't. How many gifts have you received that you immediately think about re-gifting, or taking to the "white elephant" party? How many gifts have you received that you already have one or two of the same stashed away in a closet or under a bed? Do you accept these gifts graciously, or do you speak up and tell the truth? I'm betting you fake it. Why? Because it's the thought that counts, and you have good manners.

Please don't think that I'm giving you carte blanche to forgo the truth. There's a lot to be said about the virtue of honesty. For the most part, it is the best policy; but not if it means being unnecessarily cruel or petty…and certainly not if it's purely for selfish reasons. We all have high and low points that we share with our friends. Most of the time these friends are appropriately happy (or sad) for us. But sometimes (just like you and I), they fake it. This doesn't mean they've taken the easy way out. Ask any woman and she’ll tell you—faking it is hard work. And don't think that I'm suggesting we surround ourselves with fake friends. Just because you fake it a time or two, doesn't necessarily make you a fake…and it doesn't mean that you always fake it, no matter what my husband says. Besides, if you're really good at it, they'll never know. And what they don't know….

You get my point. It's a sharp one. Use it carefully and sparingly.

Postscript: Happy Holidays to you all - and here's to taking the high road. Oh, and by the way, I really, really love all of my gifts! Really, I do. Ciao, Teri

© 2005 Teresa G.Franta

Comments

Sideways Chica said…
Happy Holidays to all of you. I have posted early, so enjoy! I look forward to reading all of your comments and will get back to each of you as I can throughout the next week. I wish you peace, love and laughter now and always.

Teri Gray Franta
(A rebel with a "claus")
fjl said…
Damn that is just what I hate about all these family vists and stuff, their long memories! Mine keep a note-pad each, I swear. :0)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear fjl...perhaps if you serve a bit more eggnog this year, their memories will fade, or at least be fuzzy until they depart for greener pastures - like home!

Enjoy the Holidays!
Nicole said…
You're right, this is a sticky situation and I'm usually for faking a sentiment if the need arises. Sometimes a friend just needs someone who APPEARS to be on their side, if nothing else.

But this wasn't the case when it came to a specific friend of mine. She was (and unfortunately still is) in a bad marriage. I've been giving her my honest opinion on her relationship since its inception but she's chosen to ignore my advice. Now she's looking to get divorced. So I'm not sure what lesson I should learn from this...
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh Nicole...I wrote about this in "That's not my suitcase." When it comes to the serious issues, honesty is the best policy. Seems as if you knew she was marrying the "proverbial" axe murderer...and you spoke up. You weren't trying to discourage her or bring her down for your personal reasons. Sounds as if you know when to be truthful and when to fake it. As you continue to be a true, honest friend to your soon to be single again friend, remember...that's not your suitcase. Be sure to distance yourself emotionally.

Enjoy the holidays...and I'm not faking it!
You are early I came to post a garlic link in the Cashew Chicken comments and there was tomorrow's eagerly awaited post.

There are so many fine lines to what you wrote that I need not go in to it because you have done such a good job of describing them.

Enjoy your holiday, and YES, I mean that, really.
Kacey said…
Faking it? I thought that was why God made "little white lies" --- to cover any innane remark you could possibly say while attempting to avoid hurting feelings. And, about the ugly baby--- as a former maternity nurse, we called them FLK's (medicalese for funny looking kid). When making a remark was unavoidable, we would say something like, "Now, that's a baby!" I suppose smiling and keeping your mouth shut is either mysterious or "faking it". Merry Christmas, Teri.
Sideways Chica said…
Yes Juliemora, I posted early because it is the holiday season and there are so many extra activities. AGHHHH! But I did get your comment on the Cashew Chicken article, and I left one for you. Thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed the article...unless of course you are "faking it." You have a wonderful Christmas...and we'll see you next week.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Merry Christmas Kacey...and thank you for your insight into the FLK. I will remember it always.

Here's to those little white lies and mysterious smiles that keep us from hurting someone's feelings unnecessarily...and thanks as always for participating.

Ciao for now...
Zoozan said…
I have a lot of friends in theatre and if I go to one of their shows I, of course, go backstage afterwards to see them. If they weren't very good, I usually say something like 'that was an extraordinary performance' or 'that was such an interesting interpretation'

Have a very happy christmas/Chanukah/Kwanzaa :-)love, peace and chocolate
Mrs PC
B.S. said…
I can always count on you for a thought-provoking post, Teri! Faking it is a social grace of which I am particularly aware because of my child. From the time he was barely talking I tried to teach him to express himself honestly, and now I pay the price for that with horror. He shows and tells people exactly what's on his mind, and I mean EXACTLY. That's why it's so crystal clear to me that yes, it is important to fake it some of the time.

A recent experience of mine hammers it home also. During a visit to my father, I decided to fake it with his wife instead of being my usual self. It was difficult at first, but I ended up having the best visit ever, and now she treats me like a daughter. Sort of. I actually look forward to going back for a visit next summer. Let's hear it for faking it!
Sideways Chica said…
Yes Zoonan, you are definitely PC. Your theatre comment reminds me of a friend I've lost contact with. She was soooooo dramatic. She would show up at parties, dinners, backyard BBQ's in some pretty outrageous outfits - and then proceed to ask everyone in attendence how she looked. I remember one time she asked my husband (the least PC person I know), how he liked her outfit, "Isn't it wonderful," she gushed. "Yes, if you're in the circus," he replied." Hmmmm...wonder why we don't hear from her anymore?

Ciao and have a great Christmas!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...I bet my husband was just like your little guy when he was a boy. He gets away with saying the most amazing things (see above response to Zoonan). I usually get blamed for some of his comments. Most of the time, when he's being "so" honest, people assume he's kidding, and they just laugh. Maybe you shouldn't worry about your little guy so much. Everyone loves my husband, everyone except the drama queen that is.


As for your father's wife, I'm glad a little faking paid off. Perhaps eventually she will accept you as you are...don't forget my very sharp point - use it carefully and sparingly.

Keep on whirling Betty, and have a wonderful Christmas!

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Good for you Izzy...a great sense of humor gets us through all sorts of issues in life that could really bring us down. I think humor is one reason that some women are happier than others. Keep on laughing!

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year...see now that's my sense of humor dealing with the current debate on the political correctness of holiday salutations!

Can't wait to see a pic of your new sweatshirt from the stepmom...bring it on!
Angel said…
Delivery is everything and apparently your husband has that down.

I like him already---but not in that awkward, "Stop humping my husband's leg!", kind of way.

I am also a kin to the art of the fake.

Except on those 3 hairy scary hormone days a month when I have no control over what comes out of my mouth.

Yikes.........

****Raise's a white russian in your general direction while pushing you and your husband toward the mistletoe.....******
Sideways Chica said…
Oh Angel..you do have a way with words. I am still laughing (out loud).

Here's to innocent leg-humping, white russians, mistletoe, my husband's good delivery...and you!

Would that we could all be a little angel-esque. Merry Christmas!
Shankari said…
What a phenomenal post! Am sorry I read it so late. Wish I'd checked earlier.

So full of implications... If only I had *some* of these faking skills earlier in life when I got married and discovered in-laws. Being unnecessarily honest (read nasty) was one of my special skills. (Wish I'd met you erlier, Betty!) And so many of my dearest friends- I've had a long period of extreme distrust and discomfort from them before they could reconcile to me and all my non-faking warts!

Heres wishing you, the family and all your friends, a merry Christmas.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...I posted a little early due to the holidays. Glad you finally joined us, I was wondering where you were. Sounds like you go the totally honest route no matter the consequences -- even with the outlaws. Good for you. But don't you ever just fake it a little? Just a teensy weeensy little bit? Hmmm? :)

Enjoy...and here's to your non-faking warts. Me, I'm not so brave.

Ciao for now...and see you next week.
Priyamvada_K said…
So true about family and friends remembering the bad points of a relationship, when one is just venting and trying to move on :)

As for faking it, LOL. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine tells Jerry "Fake. Fake. Fake. Fake", when he recalls some of their - uhm - private moments together and asks if she was faking. Yeah, sometimes faking - no matter where - becomes necessary, to keep the social fabric in one piece.

Happy holidays to you too!

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Happy Holidays Priya...sounds as if you've got the faking thing down pat also. And a good sense of humor!

Here's to moving on!
moderator said…
I think that rather than avoiding the truth, this "faking" it can actually be facing the truth. Such as in facing the truth that others are not so much interested in our "honest" opinion about their choices in life as they are in knowing that we support them anyway. Or in facing the truth that some people either do not know us well enough or do not care enough about us to purchase what we would consider to be an appropriate gift. Or perhaps most difficult, in facing the truth that "honesty" is sometimes more about "me" than the best interest of our friend. We join with you in advocting good manners and a civilized attitude!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Diva Chicks...you always explain things so eloquently, and get right to the point.

Here's to good manners and a civilized attitude...and letting it be all about you, not me!

Happy Holidays and Peace to you and yours...
Chris said…
I couldn't agree with this one more. While I try to be as honest as possible when it comes to the big important stuff, consideration for people's feelings trumps brutal honesty every time.

Another fantastic post, Teri. I really do love your writing style. And that's the truth. Honest! ;)

Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Sideways Chica said…
Chris...that's my point and I'm sticking to it! Brutal honesty only when necessary.

Thank you for joining in Chris...from one writer to another, Happy Holiday to you and your loved ones.
trelif said…
Perfect timing. I needed to hear this right now. : ) Sometimes I need to reconsider with whom I can be totally honest and with whom I must fake ... thankfully I don't have many people who require the kid-gloves. And like another reader said, delivery is everything.

Happy New Year, Teri!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Henri-v...Angel is right, delivery is everything! Timing too! Glad you made it by.

Happy New Year to you also.
Sideways Chica said…
Yes, I hear the quiet breathing of the lurkers...waiting for Friday's post. Well, somehow, with everything going on during the holidays, including a trip to Palm Springs (which included absolutely no sleep and four glorious hours at the Tommy Bahama Bar with my Chicas), I just finished the article for tomorrow. And, I actually like it. Whew...I was getting a bit worried.

So stay tuned for tomorrow's post which is titled..."Why? Because we like it." I'll post around 9 or 10 o'clock this evening, which is Friday on the East Coast.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carolt...I am so glad you have joined in my "round table."
In answer to your question, regarding honesty/faking with husbands or significant others, the word "balance" comes to mind. I believe honesty is always best with those closest to our hearts, but also there are times that our total honesty can devastate our loved ones. If you can get your point across without getting down to all the dirty little hurtful nitty gritties, I find it best.

Ciao for now...and thanks again for joining in and participating.
Lebatron said…
If you're putting more in to the relationship than you're getting out of it, you have a problem.

Women are something else, ya know. Hard to figure out what they want and don't want. If you're having trouble with women, I've posted an article "Pointers for the Dunces" going through some DOs and DON'Ts. Check it out, you may learn something.
Sideways Chica said…
Yes, Lebatron...we reap what we sow. I'll check your "pointers" out when I get the chance.

Thanks for stopping by.

Ciao.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred