Why? Because we like it.

There's nothing more comforting than an old favorite - an old favorite sweatshirt that's soft and faded with a few holes here and there, threadbare jeans that never let you (or your backside) down, comfortable friends that you've known for just about forever, and that one song that makes you glance around (to be sure that no one is looking) as you turn up the volume and transport yourself to an imaginary stage, with an imaginary microphone, for the best imaginary performance ever. We even have our old favorite foods. Some we still eat on a regular basis. Others, like Mom's macaroni and cheese, are left out in the cold - until a crises arises. I don't know about you, but I always crave mac and cheese when I'm feeling blue.

I have one friend who puts on the classic Paul Newman movie Cool Hand Luke whenever he's feeling down. Since I've known him, he’s worn out two VHS copies and is working on the DVD. Of course, I've known him a long time. Once I asked him, "Why this movie? Why not rent a new movie...one you haven't seen, or one that will make you laugh?" He explained that Newman's character is stubborn like himself, and he can relate. And that it always lightens his mood. "This movie is about principle," he said. "Standing up for what you believe in." A little deep for me, but it works for him, which is all that matters. It's his old favorite, and this I understand completely. I have a ragged old red sweatshirt from the HofbrÀuhaus in Germany that should have been tossed out years ago. Instead, it holds a place of honor in my closet. And, like the good vibes my friend gets from his favorite movie, this sweatshirt always makes me feel good. It reminds me of me a thousand years ago - traipsing through Europe with my college roommates. Unfortunately, like my friend's favorite movie, my sweatshirt is now a private affair. Carefully guarded and not for public display.

But why not? For public display, I mean. Must we eat our mac and cheese in private? If our old favorites make us feel so good, why do we feel embarrassed when we seek them out? My friend hasn't clued his new girl into his Cool Hand Luke matinees, and if anyone happens to see me in my old sweatshirt, I immediately apologize for its condition and quickly change into something different - something more fashionable and certainly less worn. Shouldn't we embrace our old favorites? Perhaps pay homage for all the comfort they've provided over the years? Or does our desire to be "cool" outweigh everything else? Maybe if we admit to our weaknesses and vulnerabilities, others may get to know the true "us." Isn't this what we want? Friends who get us and like us for who we are?

My best friend offers up a good example of keeping old favorites under wrap. Several months ago she was given free front row tickets to either U2 or Jimmy Buffett. One or the other, but not both. She agonized over her decision. She felt that she should take the U2 tickets because in many circles Bono is "the man," and certainly a very hip choice. But wait a minute, we're talking about old favorites here. Yes, my friend likes Bono and has for years, but her favorite performer of all time is Jimmy Buffett. She knows every one of his songs by heart, and is even on the cover of one of his albums. There in the audience, arms raised in allegiance with fellow parrotheads, she is most definitely "fins to the right." Should have been a no-brainer. Alas, it was not. Instead of deciding on her own, she asked her "new friend" which concert he would prefer. Oops. He said U2. Such a dilemma - and front row tickets no less. Finally, unable to admit to her new guy that she really wanted to see Jimmy Buffett - and that he was not only her old favorite, but her most favorite entertainer of all time, she fabricated (p.c. for lied) a scheduling conflict for the night of the U2 concert, and chose the Jimmy Buffett tickets instead. Crises averted. She got what she wanted and her secret was safe. Everything worked out perfectly.

Or did it? U2 came to town first...before Jimmy. When the reviews came out, they all hailed an incredible once-in-a-lifetime performance by Bono and his crew. This was just days before the Buffett concert. My friend was despondent. She said she blew it big time. Instead of being excited to see old Jimmy again, all she could think about was missing the concert of the year - front row center. It was plain to see that there were no parrothead hats, shark fins, or even Hawaiian shirts in her wardrobe plans for Jimmy's sold-out Orange County performance. She didn't even go to the ritual tailgate party, which is always the tailgate party of the year here in the O. C.

She did go to the concert, however. And bright and early the next morning she called. Bursting with excitement, she gave me a play-by-play of the evening. The concert was fantastic - and she and her new friend had a great time together. It seems that she finally let loose about halfway through the performance and began singing out loud - along with everyone else in the audience - including her date. Her new guy got an earful, and something interesting happened. He found out that her old favorite is Jimmy Buffet and she found out that his old favorite is Jimmy Buffet. To think that they almost missed the boat to Margaritaville because they were both too worried about what the other might think. What a shame that my friend let her desire to look better to the outside world outweigh her desire to feel better on the inside. She should have trusted in old Jimmy - he's always a hard act to follow.

We all have hard acts to follow...our old favorites. Clothes, songs, food, movies, books - even people. Just because we find some new favorites along the way, there's no reason to cast aside our old faithfuls. Nor does it mean we're stuck in the past - or we're uncool. It simply means that we like what we like. Period.

Therefore, I’ve decided to invite a few friends over. After all, it's five o'clock somewhere. I think I'll wear my old red sweatshirt, serve up some mac and cheese, and put on a little Jimmy Buffett. Come on over and sing out loud. If I don't answer the door right away, please be patient. I might be looking for my lost shaker of salt...

Happy New Year to all... and here's to "auld" friends and "auld" favorites. May they be one and the same.

Dedicated to Su-Z-Q. © 2005 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

B.S. said…
Good morning, Teri! I'm now scanning for thoughts of my many favorites: my best friend back home whom I met in 7th grade, my worn but irreplaceable recliner/rocker in front of my living room window which most respectable people would have ditched years ago, my mother's macaroni and cheese and tomato recipe, and shoes!! I have a lifelong habit of attaching to certain pairs of shoes. Last year I had a pair of black Sporto boots which I wore into the ground. Finally, the sole became loose and actually tripped me repeatedly when I tried to walk. Throwing those out was truly painful.

I have an old red sweatshirt too! I almost threw it out last year, but especially after reading your post, I'm glad I didn't! In fact, I think I'll wear it to your party!
Chris said…
Awesome! I have an old tye-dye t-shirt that a good friend gave me almost 20 years ago. I can't actually wear it anymore, it's so threadbare, but I'll never throw it out. It's my magic shirt.
Sideways Chica said…
Good Morning Betty! Here's to thinking about our favorite things! We can't help but smile...and feel good. Come on over, red sweatshirt and all. I think I just remembered where I put the salt shaker. Oh, one more thing. Can you bring that irreplaceable recliner? I'll get it back to you in about 10 years!

Happy New Year!
Sideways Chica said…
Let's hear it for Chris and his tye-dye t-shirt! Chris, I really can't (read shouldn't) wear my sweatshirt either. But I do. Notice no photos of said sweatshirt in it's current, sad, threadbare condition. I'm such a maniac about it that I don't want to "subject" it to any undue "flash" damage. Hey, to me it's a Mona Lisa...to everyone else it's an eyesore. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and I think your tye-dye t-shirt looks fabulous. A Van Gogh perhaps.

Thanks for coming to my party...

Happy New Year!
Anonymous said…
I think perhaps there are some things that are not meant to be shared with everyone - but that comes from the privilege of having shared over 30 years of life with my best friend and husband. I don't have to "explain" when I have my tatty law school sweatshirt on, or why I still cry at the end of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir or why I laugh hysterically when a plate of fudge appears. He knows why. Some experiences are from another time and place that can't be "explained."

Your friend with the concert tickets had a different problem, in that she broke a cardinal rule of engagement - don't offer a man a choice if you don't want him to make one. Ever. ;->

That said, it can be fun to reveal tidbits to trusted friends - sometimes their expressions alone are priceless!
Sideways Chica said…
Fantastic Diva Leigh...first I smile because I forgot how much I loved the "Ghost and Mrs. Muir." I need to find it on DVD. Second, I laugh hysterically at...

"...don't offer a man a choice if you don't want him to make one. Ever."

Sorry Chris...nothing personal, but that's pretty darn laugh-out-loud funny!

Wow, what a great party. All you have to do is invite the right people...and I did. Thanks for stopping by, and Happy New Year Diva Chicks!
Sideways Chica said…
Hey Izzy: Here's to Casey Jones...drivin that train. The Dead are a favorite of mine as well. I think "weird" is a state of mind. I choose to be "weird" sometimes also. We can be weird together!

Enjoy your next "soak" with Dazed and Confused, and Happy New Year to you and yours.

P.S. I am listening to "French" pop rock right now. My family knows that I am weird. Next I'll listen to a little Van Morrison, then Mellencamp, then Bobby Darin's Live at the Copa CD, and I'll finish off with a little Dean Martin.
Unknown said…
Happy New Year Teri...great blog.
Sideways Chica said…
Welcome Anthony! Happy New Year to you too. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words. I post a new article every Friday. Hope to see you back again sometime.

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
You made me smile in one of those "I remember" ways. I just returned from a trip "back home" where I revisited a few places, people, and of course - memories. It's the old faces and friendships that are the most comforting of all. I can't tell you how amazing it was to meet an old friend for lunch - there wasn't a quiet moment. Maybe this time I won't let the past go - I don't want to.
Sideways Chica said…
Hello "a cat"...it's been a while and I'm glad you're back. Sounds as if the trip home to NJ brought you together with some old friends and old favorites. Also sounds as if you got a nice big serving of mac and cheese. Nothing like it, is there?

Happy New Year...and here's to comfort food.

Talk to you soon!
Priyamvada_K said…
I seldom hang on to old stuff. Maybe something someone gave me, but those stuff I wear proudly....thinking hard what I must like and save from others' eyes. Maybe memories of a few kisses of yore ;). Now those I can't describe and won't ever videotape myself giving or receiving anytime.

But I guess that fits the bill :D

Happy New Year!

A-very-blushing-Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhh...Priya, you have taken us to another level entirely. Favorite moments, stolen glances, cherished intimate memories. We all have these special memories that visit us here and there. Some more than others it seems. Hmmmm?

Have a Happy New Year, and here's to our favorite private thoughts and memories...may they remain private.

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
I've always held on to a few momentos from favorute concerts or special events. I put them in a box and now and again I get the box out and go through the ticket stubs, programs, t-shirts and other odds and ends and I always smile at the memories. Probably much like your red sweatshirt Teri. I'm headed for the closet now to revisit some favorite old times. Thanks for the memories. Have a great new year.
Sideways Chica said…
Hey Kyra...good to hear from you. Where have you been Chica? Speaking of momentos, I still have a treasured "T" from an Eagles concert that I will never let go. Also have stubs, programs, matches, and a few menus. I haven't "visited" them in years. Maybe it's time to take a jaunt down memory lane.

Here's to our personal treasures...road markers on the path of life.

Ciao Bella...
Anonymous said…
Another fine Friday post. All of my "old favorites" are relatively new. The oldest I have are the little mementos from my trip to Greece 10 years ago. I had to reach adulthood before I could really explore what I like... and Dean Martin (!) aaahhhh. So, my favorite red sweatshirt hasn't yet become unpresentable, but I'm looking forward to that time, and wearing as much as possible to hasten the day. :)
fjl said…
CS Lewis of oxford, Narnia author, defined true happiness and spiritual strength as being able to casually, indifferently and freely like what you like, since it's a simple, unassuming defense against vanity and the need to please others who're socially adept, but spiritually a no no. If you love what you love, whatever it may be, you're safe with friends who actually love you.
Happy new year.
Sideways Chica said…
Happy New Year Raynwomaan...sounds as if you're living life right. If all of your old favorites are relatively new, then things just keep getting better. Way to go!

Here's to your red sweatshirt, Whirling Betty's, and mine!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear fjl...happy new year! Interesting that you speak about Narnia...I received the DVD for Christmas and plan to watch tomorrow.

Here's to the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe, and loving what we love, because we love it...or him, or her!

Ciao Chica...
Another fine post. I have several T's from when I sailed a few oceans back in the 80's. They're not just momentos, but badges of survival. I love Kraft Mac & Cheese. I ate a lot of it when things were lean in college 'cause it was only $.25 a box! I can't afford the calories nowadays, but every once in a while I eat it on the sly. Same with SpaghettiOs. These are definitely not fasionable foods, even for kids these days.
fortieswomen said…
I just came across your writings. Interesting that at our age we have such a gift with reflection.

I have an old sweatshirt too :)

Mayra
***************
http://fortieswomen.blogspot.com/
Sideways Chica said…
Welcome Mayra...and thanks for stopping by and participating. Hmmmmm? What makes you think I'm in my forties? Darn! I must have given it away somehow. :)

I post a new article every Friday. I hope you come back again soon.

Here's to your old sweatshirt!

Ciao...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...good to hear from you. Here's to sailing the seas and those survival badges! I love the sea. BTW, we still have the old Kraft mac and cheese in the cupboard for when the "boys" are home. They don't seem to care about fashion, especially when it comes to food. They like what they like.

Enjoy those SpaghettiOs, and of course, have a very happy new year.

Ciao Bella...
Anonymous said…
I was just wondering if I'm an old favorite. Be careful how you answer the old part! Looking forward to a great New Year's Eve. No Poker Biatch hat for me!
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh...you've been lurking SuzySays. Not going to even mention the "old" thing. If I don't wear the hat tonight, and you don't wear the hat tonight, it will be a prosperous new year before it even starts.

Thanks for reading, thanks for your friendship.
Kacey said…
Teri -- You are beginning to be one of my favorite old things! We left Ohio on Thursday morning and arrived in Ft. Myers Friday, late afternoon. Imagine my chagrin when I realized that I missed your Friday morning epistle. After borrowing a friend's computer, I see that you have had 26 posts already, you are getting to be so popular --- I am glad to have discovered you when you were in your early period! As to favorites, most of our truly comforting things go back to our childhoods --- when we were young and carefree. So, when things start getting hairy in our "adult" lives, we dive back into our childhoods and become "carefree" once again. I think I'll get out those Laura Ingalls Wilder books once more before I die. My biggest old comfort thing is my darlin husband, who is always there for me --- unless I am being "bitchy"! I get my phone line on Wednesday, so I'll be alble to read your next essay. Can't wait! Ciao
Shankari said…
Hi Teri! And a happy New year to you and your family.

My last post(!) of 2005 also referred to some *old stuff*, which I love, though I may not have ever had it.

According to the husband, I just love the idea of having a sewing machine but wouldn't know what to do with one and so, practical me would never actually go out and buy it. Dare me someone, to flaunt what I don't have but love! ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...glad you got "hooked" up and could join the party! You are so right about revisiting our childhood, and like you, my favorite old thing is my husband. He makes me laugh everyday and keeps me from taking myself (and others) too seriously.

Here's to life on the prairie, and I am sure you have time to revisit the Ingalls a few more times. Me, I plan to re-read all of my old Nancy Drew books. I forgot all about them until your post, so thanks for the wonderful memories they conjured up for me on this New Year's Eve.

Happy New Year to you and your family. May it be bring you good health, happiness, joy, laughter and peace.

Ciao chica...
Sideways Chica said…
Happy New Year Shankari! I love that your old favorites are things you do not actually have. Very inspiring.

Here's to the idea of having a sewing machine, but not.

Ciao for now...
Julie said…
Hi Teri. Just found your blog and just the title drew me in. I have my old favorites. I have a big green night shirt that I used to sleep in, and now I just put it on and wear it on days that I don't want to get dressed but I still have to get out of bed. Sometimes it's the mac and cheese that recenters my aching mind, or sometimes I just buy some doritos and frito-lay nacho cheese sauce and eat until the hurting stops. My symbolic ThumbSucking.
Sideways Chica said…
Welcome Jules...and thanks for stopping by and participating. Happy New Year also. I post a new article every Friday. Hope to see you back again sometime.

Here's to your green nightshirt and symbolic thumbsucking...I love it!

Ciao for now...
Nicole said…
Mmmmmm...just reading this makes me wanna go curl up in my pjs with a heaping bowl of some type of sinful pasta and lounge all afternoon. YUMMY!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carolt...Welcome. Thanks for stopping by and participating. Interesting that you mention making ourselves happy. I was just talking about this with a group of my chicas. Specifically about women and men who look to others for their happiness. I have always maintained that if you are happy, and you must make yourself happy, then others are happy to be around you. Nothing healthy or longlasting comes from seeking happiness through others. Give and you shall receive was the consensus. I am sure this will be a topic for an article soon.

And yes, we can control our behavior, if not our emotions. But every once in awhile, we erupt...and at the right times, this can be healthy also. Not good to hold too much in. I usually take a walk on the beach and meditate. If beach not handy, I count silently to myself...sometimes to a hundred!

Thanks again for stopping by. I post a new article every Friday. Hope to see you back again sometime.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Good to hear from you again Brooke. Happy New Year. I understand only too well your penchant for that favorite Fruit of the Loom Tee. Good for you venturing out in public with your old favorite. Beauty shines from within...and in your case from behind that soft comfy Fruit of the Loom Tee.

Here's to your Tee! May you wear it proudly.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...do you have enough of that sinful pasta for two? I'll be right over in my favorite PJs!

Have a Happy New Year!

P.S. Still can't find that shaker of salt. Any idea where I put it?
Zoozan said…
I am nearly (not quite) at the age where comfort is more important than looks.

My favourite old item of clothing for total comfort is a long, soft, grey, hooded dress that I wear around the house. Makes me feel all snuggly
Sideways Chica said…
Happy New Year Zoonan...snugly works for me as well! Here's to your long, soft, grey, hooded dress. Sounds like you are just as attached to it as I am to my old red sweatshirt.

Ciao for now, and hope to see you here again next week.
Angel said…
OOoooo good post.

I recently replaced my low, black, ChuckyT 's of the last 13 years with a new pair---the girl in the shop was amazed at how worn they were and I was amazed at all the little changes in the new pair---

Same classic looks just subtle little changes in fit.

I have a box full of concert Tees I hope to frame someday with matching albums.

And a pair of jammie pants that are so thin I can't even wear them out of the bedroom.

Bread fresh out of the oven with real butter---if ever I am out on a ledge ready to jump---this would get me back inside.
Sideways Chica said…
Happy New Year Angel! Those jammie pants sound wonderful. When you're tired of them, send them my way. And 13-years on the ChuckyT's is a lot of mileage...if they those shoes could talk, I'd be first in line to hear what they had to say!

Here's to coming in from that cold ledge to bread fresh out of the oven with real butter...and mac and cheese, of course.

Ciao chica.
Angel said…
*phew*

Timing is, ummm, a minute by minute thing.

Glad I didn't step in it.

Oh no she didn't------Mac & Cheese too????

That's right up there with kicking puppies, pinching kittens and poking old folks with sticks!
Sideways Chica said…
Yes Angel, even the mac and cheese isn't safe anymore.

Here's to great timing. Yours!

Ciao chica...
Kacey said…
Hi Teri --- I just had my internet installed --- was in withdrawal big time. But, I just had to mention that the author of the "Nancy Drew" books was a little old lady from Toledo, who died a short time ago. She was always surprised that people were interested in her and that people came from all over to have their original copies signed by the author. Just think --- that will be happening to you soon! Clapping!
Sideways Chica said…
Kacey...you are such a great cheerleader! Thank you. And like Angel, your timing and delivery is excellent. Glad you are hooked up. I'm working on tomorrow's post and having a bit of a problem with the photo installation...keep your fingers crossed!

See you tomorrow!
Katie said…
Peapod. I had this stuffed (vegetable) animal that fit perfectly under the crook of my arm when I slept. Boyfriend made me get rid of it when we moved in together, and ok, it is a little weird, but if you saw how well it just fit there like a little football.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Pink Lemonade Diva...oh no, you didn't really give up your favorite peapod did you? Well, I hope he was worth it.

Here's to compromise...sometimes we just have to.

Thanks for stopping by. I post a new article every Friday. Hope to see you again.

Ciao...

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred