If a tree falls in a forest...

A friend of mine was depressed, and no one knew. How can this be? She was angry all the time and disgruntled with almost anything that happened (good or bad). Then she started not answering the door, or the phone - even though she was at home. These things we knew. We didn't know she was depressed, or what caused her to turn into someone we hardly recognized - and in my case, sometimes feared. Well, fear is a strong word, but I'm telling you, she could be pretty darn nasty at times. Now if I were a man (sorry guys), I know what I would most likely chalk this behavior up to...but no, too late in life for that. Too late for that "other" thing too.

After about two months of this behavior, with a few good spells in between to throw us off track, I finally started mentioning this friend's uncharacteristic behavior to our other friends...one by one, and on the sly. You see, this depressed (and angry) friend, is our "unofficial" leader, or rather our link - how we all know one another. She's the one who always listens to our problems and invariably gets to the "meat" of the matter. She is (or used to be) our wise, seemingly unflappable touchstone. It seemed like anarchy (betrayal) to even hint that our little Miss Sunshine, who was usually ready with the grin, laugh, joke...and more often than naught, the "right" answer to every question, might have a problem of her own. After all, how could she have a problem and not know? Easy. When you're in the middle of the game, it's hard to know the score. Which is appropriate, as this friend hates watching sports of any kind. Football anyone?

So one evening, when a serious issue arose with another friend, I took the opportunity (albeit rather hesitantly - and a bit fearfully) to tell this friend that I knew, and that all of our other friends knew, that she too was suffering. That she had a problem. I told her that we were all here for her and that we knew she was a little "broken" at the moment. I also told her that we wanted to help her, but no one knew how to help her just yet. So I said that we would all work it out together. I also shared that one of our friends felt that her "funk" was due to the death of her beloved cat last October. You see, after getting the calendar out (finally) and doing a little CSI (Vegas-style), we traced her angst back to a particularly sad day for this friend. Even though she had repeatedly assured us that she was fine back then, it's now obvious that she wasn't. But we believed her. Or rather we wanted to believe her, so we did.

So here I was, telling our angry, emotionally "bottled up" friend that we didn't believe her anymore. We sat in her car in front of my house. She was behind the wheel, and the engine was still running. I held my breath for her to tell me that she was fine, that nothing was wrong, and that she certainly didn't need our help, because after all, she was little Miss Sunshine - the life of every party, and my muse. I waited for her to toss me out, drive away, and never speak to me again. But a funny thing happened. Nothing. She took a deep breath and said nothing - at first. Then I saw her shoulders relax for the first time in weeks, and she looked at me and said, "Thank you, I was wondering what the hell was wrong with me...and if anyone had noticed." Score 10 for this friend and zero for us, her friends, for not speaking up sooner and telling her the score. She felt so much better just acknowledging the cause, and the catalyst of her anger. We discussed that she wasn't sleeping well or eating right, because of her "grief," and that this was exasperating the situation. Two easily corrected issues that she has already taken steps to improve. Almost immediately (the next day), I noticed a difference in my muse. The sun was shining once again. We laughed about how we were all afraid to call her...because we never knew when her evil twin, Dr. Jekyll's Mr. Hyde, was in residence. She talked about her frustration and anger at not being able to figure out her problem (and the cause) on her own. Having never gone through anything like this before, she was puzzled, surprised, and enlightened. Most of all, she was relieved. She told me about how angry it made her that she couldn't be the sunshine that we were used to...and that she felt we counted on. So she stayed away. Our social butterfly, gad-about town, locked herself in a self-imposed prison, because she couldn't force what had always come to her so naturally. I told her that sunshine or not, she just needed to be herself and come down and play only when she felt the desire. And that we would understand when she didn’t join in, or when she did and the sun wasn't shining as brightly as usual; but we weren't going to let her stay in lock-up just because she couldn't be the life of the party.

This friend is on the mend, but her situation reminds me that so often when strong people fall, they fall hard. The noise is deafening, with obvious and visible injuries for all to see - if we are willing to look. Why is it then that we tend not to notice...or even acknowledge that these strong people might need help? Why don't we go out on that limb more often? Or at least let these strong oak trees know that we think they might have a problem - and offer our assistance? Even if our assistance is only lending an ear, and providing a sounding board. Is it because these strong people push us away - or perhaps because we respect their privacy and their independence? Maybe we feel that they don't want our help. When, then, can we be sure of the right time to intercede - if ever? After all, is it really our business? Or are we just being "nosey parkers," like that irritating busybody neighbor, Gladys, from the 60's television classic Bewitched. Heaven forbid that we make a mountain out of a mole hill. How embarrassing to tread where we shouldn’t...perhaps when we should. How happy I am that I risked embarrassment...and "stepped up to the plate." Sorry, I just couldn’t resist another sports reference...because I know that my friends, including little Miss Sunshine, will laugh. And yes, I want them to laugh and laugh and laugh.

There's a saying that you can't see the forest for the trees. We have another friend who needs our help. In her case, we couldn't see the tree for the forest. But the other night I heard a noise, and recognized the sound of a falling tree. This beloved oak tree needs help - and I've already told her the score, according to my scorecard. I suppose I should recognize that I've gone out on that proverbial limb to "take sides." To weigh in and be her sounding board. I'm sorry that taking sides is necessary...and I'm sorry that it's called "taking sides." Just because we reach out to one person, doesn't mean that we necessarily condemn the other. It only means that we care, and that we know our strengths. That we reach out to the one who needs us (and our strengths) the most...the one that we can help the best. I believe you understand that I'm talking about the break-up of a marriage. While it is sad, it's also time...before further damage is done. I know my strengths, and I think I can help this fallen tree get back on her feet...and be strong. To once again stand tall and proud, to grow new roots, and establish herself anew in a friendly forest that welcomes her with open arms. I can't wait for the spring - to see all of her new branches, loaded down with healthy, intricate, and beautiful new leaves. And I’m eager to see her funny, bright little "sprout" flourish - as children are more resilient than we think.

How does that other saying go? If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear, does it really make a sound? Yes, yes and yes. All we have to do is listen.

Dedicated to my strong Brazilian oak tree...I am listening. Here's to the spring, to the thaw, and to new roots - new beginnings.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

fjl said…
That's an excellent metaphor that completely sums up a tragic situation. We're both into those metaphors this posting! :-)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...yes, the metaphor allows an easier method to speak of difficult subjects. I'll have to pop over and check out your metaphors today. :)

Ciao chica...
Angel said…
Wow---

I commented first thing this morning and--poof--it's gone?

What I said earlier was---

Teri-

I could write volumns on this.

And someday I will and I already have a title for the book.

Imagine if you can the horror of this:

The rest of the forest picks up their roots, turns their backs and leaves.

Thanks for being the kind of tree that always extends a helping branch not matter how tentatively.

Your friends are very lucky.

Thanks Teri!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Readers...Blogger is having problems and sometimes messages are not recording or are being deleted mysteriously - not only on my site, but on other blogspot sites as well. Please know that I am not deleting your comments...and if your message disappears, please post again as Angel has.

Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel...thank you for commenting again. The same thing happened to me on your site, Chris's site and Whirling Betty's. Poof! My comment was gone.

Having said that...thank you for understanding the depth of my article. I wrote it like a fiend on Sunday, and did not move from my chair for four hours. I needed to write it as much for myself, as for my two troubled friends.

Thanks for being my cyber-friend. I am lucky to have you in my corner.

Ciao chica...
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
What a thought-provoking and thoughtful post! I am moved, and don't even know what to say.

Its good that you reached out when you did, and offered support when you did.... May your tribe increase!

From now on I will listen to the sound of falling trees even more, and go out on a limb. Thanks, Teri!

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...yes, do listen for those falling trees...and "hear" what they have to say...or in some cases "not" say.

Thanks for listening to me today...I guess I needed a sounding board. :)

Ciao bella...
Anonymous said…
Oh Teri, this one was well-spoken, eloquent. My intuition tells me that you're going to touch many a heart with this one. Strong, supportive friends are so important.

Brava!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...here's to your inspiration. And yes, I am not always sarcastic...but it is my security blanket, if you get my drift. :-)

Thanks for reading, participating, and for your kind, kind words.

Ciao for now chica...
Kacey said…
But, Dear Teri --- This is where I came in! You picked up a suitcase that was not yours. You are still into carrying other people's baggage and I am glad you are. I'm still wondering how you know when the time is right to blast into another person's life and let them know that you heard their tree creaking in the wind or do you wait until the roots are exposed? Keep posting, that I may live vicariously through your metaphors.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...yes. you are right. I did pick up a suitcase, but I am only carrying it (as you say)from the house to the car. I have not claimed ownership, and have no intention (please let me be strong) of transferring the contents to my home...making them my issues.

So wise you are chica...you never miss a beat. So, maybe we should dance. Let's do. A little Sam Cooke anyone?

Ciao bella...
Reach said…
Teri,
I am very fortunate to have discovered this area of your world. Thank you.
I can witness your growth as others grow beside you. Your foundation and strengths support others as your insights grow. As I read your article, I can see your growth.
Your Metephor is a perfect example of your "forrest" of friends. In each case, you have demonstrated an ability to remain "grounded" and use the strength of your "root system". And now, your "roots" will grow, in conjunction, and create a network for all "trees" in your "forrest" of friends to nurture from. Then, not standing alone, the "forrest" will endure each and every storm that passes.
In nature, the forrest will require a tragic fire for growth. Therefore, each "tree" will return stronger, healthier, and more steady due to strengths of the "root" system created by the "trees".
Just a thought.
Reach
Anonymous said…
Your friend is very lucky to have you; too often we don't notice when our friends are becoming depressed, or refuse to see it, because she has always been the one to see everybody elses problems
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...I'm glad you're in my "world" here also. And, right you are about the growing. It's when we stop growing that we have the problems...because then we close our minds and stop learning...letting new ideas in - and growing from our mistakes and those of our loved ones, our forests, so to speak.

Thanks for joining in...I can certainly learn a lot from you, and your experiences.

Here's to growth...and staying "grounded."
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhh Pia...so accurate about not noticing what is right there in front of us. Sometimes I feel that life is like a magician's act; all smoke and mirrors, and up to the audience to figure out the "trick."

Thanks for joining the discussion. You have a way of getting right to the "meat of the matter," like my friend, little Miss Sunshine.

See you over at your place soon!
What a wonderful essay. You are a fine friend and your "trees" are lucky to have you as you are them. I think it is very clear that you are not 'carrying the load' but rather offering 'temporary shoring up.'

Wasn't Mr. Hyde the evil twin?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora. I am still laughing out loud...wait, still laughing. Boy I needed that, and right you are...the evil Mr. Hyde it should be.

Thanks for the support... and "catching" my mistake. Uh-oh, was that another sports reference?

Ciao chica...
Shankari said…
Guess what!? It seems you have written my story. Your friend sounds so much like me and eventhough, I did tell my friends, even though they wanted to help, they just couldn't. Made me wonder if I have some deficiency in accepting help or whether my closest friends can't reach out to that inner grieving me? Whatever, I had to pull myself by the bootstraps all by my self :( But the big thing is, I've been able to to a major extent and yes, it hasn't affected my realationship with my friends. They still look to me as a pillar of support!

One of the great things about blogging is that I've been able to reach out to 'virtual' friends to vent! Thanks.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...I'm so glad you were able to heal thyself, and that you are still that strong pillar for your friends.

I am so happy that you could relate to my article...makes me happy that I shared.

Ciao for now my virtual friend...
moderator said…
I think this happens a lot in our society, first, because we are all so "busy" with our lives that we don't focus on what is really going on with others or ourselves as much as we should, second, because we are so busy putting on that "front" that our lives are just perfect,thankyouverymuch, that we won't let others in, and finally, because we don't think we know how to help someone else. You have hit on the true answer - we have to be there for each other, to be strong when we are needed, and to accept help when we need it. It's not about weakness or strength, it's about life.

Diva Leigh
Mellissa said…
Teri,

What a beautifully written piece about what friendships really are! You were not afraid to finally reach in and grab her by the collar and hold on to her in that raging current.

I identify a lot with friend number 1. I hope she finds her balance and happiness again soon! I love the analogy about the trees in this as well.

Simply beautiful - like the friend you are!

Mellissa
Sideways Chica said…
Hello Divas...I've missed you! Yes, we all get too busy and wrapped up in our own issues that we forget to be there for each other. Then there is the "front." It is so hard to push through boundaries, when we should....and take the risk. Friendship is trust...and where there is trust, there is risk. We risk our hearts and feelings.

Here's to taking the risk. Reach out and "trust" someone.
Nicole said…
It's funny how an entire situation can develop out of one or two erroneous assumptions. Jack assumes that Jill is having a bad day so he avoids her. So Jill eventually becomes angry at Jack for giving her the silent treatment. I've been in that situation so many times it's almost laughable.

But it's great that you finally extended the olive branch and approached your friend about her the problems she was dealig with. I'm sure it was a huge weight off of her shoulders to realize that you were there for her. That's what really made the difference. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Hello Mellissa...I am lucky to have such a diverse forest that accepts me, as I'm not the most normal tree around. For this I try to give back to my fellow trees the best way I can. I make them laugh, smile, and shake their heads whenever possible, with a few snorts and groans here and there.

Friend #1 is doing great. And it's just nine days since our "talk." But we're keeping an eye on her...we've seen these good spells before. This one feels different though.

I wish you all the sunshine I can find Mellissa, and send it your way...let me know if you ever want to visit my crazy forest. We like ladybugs.

Ciao bella...
Sideways Chica said…
Yes Nicole, sometimes only the olive branch will do...and yes, knowing that we knew, and weren't going to keep silent any longer, made all the difference to this friend. As I told Mellissa, we aren't out of the "woods" yet, and my "fallen" tree is still pretty bruised up...but we're on a good path now. But I'm dropping bread crumbs, just in case.

Ciao for now...
B.S. said…
Hi Teri! I can just imagine what it took to summon the courage to have that talk with friend #1. I am going to file away this story in case I ever find myself in a similar situation. It's worth the risk, you have shown, and I know from my own experience how important it was for her to have your support, especially unsolicited.

This subject is serious. I have known too many people who have taken their own lives. Thank you for addressing it.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Izzy...you are lucky, as I'm sure you know, to have such a wonderful support group. It's so important to have an outlet such as this. I'm glad you recognize the value of your friends. They're lucky to have you too.

Ciao chica...
Sideways Chica said…
Good Morning Betty...friendships are strange sometimes. Friend #1 didn't ask for help...but of course, she did: Every time she was nasty or grumpy and all the things she is not. She was basically throwing it in our faces for weeks. I'm just glad it's working out well (so far).

As for the lost, desperate souls who have taken their own lives - would that we could go back and change things, but alas, we can not. But we can try to keep it from happening again, by listening (and recognizing) the signs of depresssion...or the signs of a friend in trouble.

Thanks for stopping by!

Ciao bella...
B.S. said…
You have reminded me of a concept I read about several years ago which stuck with me: each action (or behavior) is either an expression of love or a cry for love. It's from A Course in Miracles. Your friend's atypical (nasty) behavior does indeed sound like a cry for love, which, fortunately, you heard.
Chris said…
It sounds like, not only do you have a wonderful group of friends, but that you are yourself a very great and special friend to those around you. An excellent post. I am again reminded to be more mindful of those I love. Thank you. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...I'm going to research "A Course in Miracles." and see what I can find on the web. Sounds very intriguing. Thanks for the tip.

Also, thanks for posting your original comment again. I now know that several comments were lost on my last article as well. Sorry guys and dolls... I've sent a support email to Blogger.

Ciao and enjoy the weekend with the child and your wild, crazy, bundle of naturally motivated "chalupa anyone" doggy.

Teri
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...I may not be the greatest friend, but I am loyal - as in "going to the mat" for a friend or loved one when necessary.

Here's to being more mindful of those we love.

Ciao for now...
Leann said…
Teri,

Having been that tree, thank the heavens for people with acute hearing who actually hear us falling :-)
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh Leann...hopefully before you hit the ground. Once "grounded" it's a bit more of a challenge. I hope you are doing well...and that new roots are beginning to develop. :)

Thanks for coming by and joining in the discussion.

Here's to your friends and their acute hearing.

Ciao for now chica...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Brooke...so glad you joined in. I suppose that I've been that tree also. It's nice to have a support group to lean on if need be. I'm happy for you that you've found yours. I bet you give as good as you get. Hmmmmmm?

Take care and we'll see you soon.

Ciao chica...
Anonymous said…
But does the tree always fall? I guess I'm still in denial that I will one day break. For now I will stand tall and I'll go down fighting. I know I have friends around me that will hear.

Glad to be back in ring.
Sideways Chica said…
There you are "A-Cat" - no the tree doesn't always fall. It leans, it sways, and sometimes it stands perfectly still. It all depends upon what is the characteristic behavior for a particular tree. If a quiet tree gets noisy, or vice versa, then we should check it out...

Glad you're back in the ring too. Here's to the good fight!

Ciao chica...
Anonymous said…
Thanks for visitng my site A Heart's Mind. Looking around on your site, you have clearly demostrated the power of the photo essay and engaging your readers with comments. You are building a solid foundation from he combination of writing and photography. Great Work
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lance...Welcome and thank you for your kind words, I post a new article every Friday. Hope to see you again in my round table.

Ciao for now...
Unknown said…
Fabulous. I can relate on so many levels and thank you for writing about it so beautifully.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kept Woman...welcome and thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm happy that you could relate, and am appreciative of your kind words.

I post an article every Friday - I hope you pop in again. I will definitely stop by your place soon. I just have to see what the "kept woman" is all about. :)

Ciao...
DTclarinet said…
Teri- I have a friend who says it's none of his business how others feel, as long as it's not his fault. We all know how sometimes people lash out at those trying to help. But as in your story, it's important to take that chance, or take sides, if it helps someone in need.

yes, it's often the strong ones who are the quietest.

I'm glad the sun is shining again. Here's to strong roots and friends.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Garnet (David)...thank you for your supportive words. I think when we help those that need us, we help ourselves. That doesn't mean that we can always help someone in need, nor will we. Hopefully we will look to our strengths, and go from there.


Ahhhh....life can be such a crapshoot. I love it!
Imelda said…
Teri, this post hit very close to home, which is why I'm having so much trouble composing a comment.

I guess the most important thing I can say right now is: THANKYOU

Cheers!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Imelda...you are welcome. I suspect that you are a very strong Oak. One that is the foundation for many other trees in your forest. Hmmmm?

If you need me, come back here and see me, to this post. I am a good listener...

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred