The sum of the sons...

I never was into math — and I've always disliked equations. I remember the "powers that were" back in my high school days. My parents, teachers, and even boyfriends used to say that math wasn't my strong suit. It wasn't my subject. True enough, but not because of aptitude — because of interest, or lack thereof. I just wasn't that interested in numbers. I'm still not, even though I’m actually quite gifted in math. I will say that numbers certainly intrigue me more now, than back in the days of high school algebra — as a means of communication, not computation. I remember one class primarily because the teacher was gorgeous. He held some type of barefoot water skiing record. I think he was the driver of the boat...not the foot skimmer. Even back then, I remember thinking that his personal life was at "odds" with his profession. Square hole, round peg.

Wow. I haven't thought about high school algebra in two decades. So why now? Don't worry, I'm not about to attempt any "you've got to be kidding," record-setting high jinx. Math is on my mind because I came across an equation that actually interests me. It's derived from something our eldest son said recently. As our family drove off to dinner in his car, a big SUV unexpectedly swerved over into our lane. Christopher, our chauffeur for the night, compensated by scooting over (just a bit) into another lane. Oops. The man next to us (and a good car length behind us) was using his cell phone and unaware of our situation. He gave his horn a long, loud blast to let us know we were out of line, which, of course, we were. Immediately, Chris muttered, "horn works buddy, try the lights," and then he started to laugh. His younger brother, who was along for the ride, chimed in with, "That lady in the Escalade must be blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other. Then we all laughed. Hmmmmm? Where did they learn these "pearls" of wisdom? And what do they have to do with math? Easy. I present to you an equation that directly applies to life. My life. The sum of the sons equals the father.

There are many physical attributes of the boys that remind me of their dad; the line of the brow, or the set of the jaw. Then there's the hair, or the way they sit and smoosh down the back cushions of the sofa...any sofa. These are constant reminders of their father's DNA. But without the mannerisms and the quirky little sayings that my husband learned during his formative years — and has duly passed down to his sons — the formula is incomplete. While not all of these phrases are politically correct in today's society, they speak to my husband's calm (mostly) commentary on life. Christopher could have been angry by the toot of the horn, warranted or unwarranted — and upset with the driver of the big black Escalade that nearly sideswiped us. Yet the horn blast provided a welcome relief from a rather tense moment. We all knew a blast was coming from somewhere...better this than the alternative. Then there was the laughter. And why not? No one was hurt. Who knows why the Escalade came into our lane. It doesn't really matter, does it? Our good "buddy" that sat on his horn gave us a pretty nasty glare as he eventually sped past. All he saw through his squinty glare was a family laughing together. Not at him...and no one flipped him the bird, or called him names. Not that he would have noticed, as he was still on the phone while going 60-per on a busy street. Me? I was proud that Christopher took "the high road."

Our father/son formula intrigues me both in its simplicity and complexity: It's easy to do the math, but not so easy to apply correctly. You see, the boys could have just memorized the words — and the phrases — of their father. Thankfully, they did the math. They learned how to compute the equation and then apply the formula to their lives correctly. Cooly. Calmly.

I wish everyone had a "calm, cool and collected" formula. Recently, I've encountered a lot of angry people. Not at me...just angry in general. On the road, in the grocery store, at the gym. In restaurants, at the coffee house, in the bank and in the drug store. Employees, patrons, everyday ordinary people. Impatient is another word that comes to mind. Angry and impatient. I’m not about to analyze the cause of their angst...because then I might get angry. And that's not my suitcase. I will, however, share an experience.

As I stood in line at the bank recently (yes, I still bank inside the building), I started to tense up as I heard the woman behind me in line sigh (and sigh, and sigh, and sigh), as our wait was prolonged by a customer with several transactions. As each sigh got louder and more emphatic I could actually feel her breath on my neck. I repeatedly tried to inch away from her. True enough, it was a long wait, and we could have done with another teller — but it was what it was. Maybe someone called in sick, or had to leave for an emergency. It didn't really matter, because the end result was that if you wanted to bank inside the building, at that particular time, you had to wait. I chose to wait. The woman behind me chose to spittle on my neck. Yes, I said spittle. With each new (and louder) sigh came a little something extra that still gives me the willies. When I could not inch any further, I turned to her and politely asked if she was okay. Woof! She glared at me as if I were personally responsible for the long wait and then "honked" at me. A big long blast that even caused the security guard to glance our way. She said, "Unlike some people [and I assume she meant me], I have better things to do than wait in line all day." Now I could have taken offense and told her that I had two deadlines to complete by days end, and that I had to meet my husband in twenty minutes at our CPA's office, and that I still had no idea what we would have for dinner that evening — and, by the way, I already missed breakfast and lunch. No, I didn't share my issues and get into a "spittle" contest with her. What I said was, "Horn works lady, try the lights." Then I started to laugh. Guess what? She looked at me for a moment and then she started to laugh. As she meekly attempted to explain her bad day, I interrupted her and said, "No worries. Why don't you go ahead of me?" She declined (as she should have) and waited patiently behind me for the next five minutes, keeping all sighs and spittle to herself, thank goodness.

Back to the family. I was concerned that Christopher might be bothered that I wrote about him so specifically. I read him this article and asked him if he minded. His response? "That and a dime will get you a cup of coffee." Roughly translated (and allowing for about three-bucks of inflation) I believe he meant "What do I care?" My point exactly. Don't sweat the small stuff. I even took it a step further. I clarified my translation. I asked Christopher once more if he was sure he didn't mind. He looked at me and smiled. Then he said, "What's wrong, are you deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other?" Yes, definitely a chip off the old block — which equals no chip on the shoulder. I think this sums up today's "math" lesson rather nicely. Class dismissed.

Dedicated to all of us. The next time we get angry, or impatient, let's not "blow" our horns. Unless, of course, we are in true danger.

Disclaimer: Please, don't take offense at the politically incorrect "blind out of one eye," or "deaf out of one ear" comments, unless, of course, you are. If this is the case, I sincerely apologize for the insensitivity of whomever taught this to my husband , who in turn taught this to our boys, who will I am sure teach it to their children, and so on and so forth.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Callisto said…
Oh, I need to take a lesson from your son (&/or husband), I'm an angry driver sometimes! I think that is how my 3 year old learnt a couple of words he should not know, these are not the things I want to rub off on my kids!

Funny how people tend to chill out once you talk to them, in my case I was in long grocery store line with fully laden trolley and two hyper kids, fun. When the grumbler behind me got vicious, I turned to him, smiled and said "If it helps you can go in front of me", I think he actually thought about saying yes but instead went bright red, said "No thank you" and remained silent thereafter.
Angel said…
Listen lady you're starting to scare me now.

The math thing was amusing~ I spent my schooling calmly explaining to teachers that, "I don't do math". Product of new math and my head didn't work that way. Turns out I can do math--- just my way.

The "smooshing down of the back of the couch" bit had me on my feet. Hubster and the boy wonder have that same affliction. Do your boys also drop into the chairs, sofas, seats? As if they have no control over the landing?

I guess I don't have to tell you that I could've wrote that bit about the angry, frustrated peeps out in the world. But I guess I just did. I don't go inside the bank often----can relate it to the grocery shop lines though.

Really, what's 10 minutes? I use it to mentally slow down. Figure the universe knows better than I do and has given me the opprotunity to do so whether I knew I needed it or not.

Hope your weekend is a slower pace with more meals had than skipped.......

~Dawn
Chris said…
Hah! That's great! I swear, Teri. How is it that you write EXACTLY what I need to read every week? Anger has been a big concern for me recently, specifically mine. I am much more liable to blow up over things I never even used to care about, and I am bothered by my shorter temper. Your post has provided me with the tools (and role-models) I needed to defuse my anger before it blows up.

Once again, thank you for a wonderful start to my weekend. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callisto...I too can be an angry driver. I can drive up in the Los Angeles area all day long and keep my cool. But in the Newport Beach and Laguna areas, I just want to scream, and honk. All because of poor driving skills due to cell phone madness, mommy and me madness, let's watch (and change several times while driving)a DVD madness, BIG SUV don't know how to drive it and can't see out of it madness. Of course, I don't scream or honk. If I do, then someone out there could be saying "Hey lady, horn works, try the lights." And I don't like to be called "lady," which is quite different than being called "a lady," which, of course, I don't mind. Also, you never know when some crazy (I can't take it anymore) driver is going to fly into a fit of road rage.

Thank goodness for my Ipod. But for the grace of "busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin' for a train, feeling near as faded as my jeans...," there go I.

Ciao chica.
B.S. said…
For me, this was quite a tear jerker. At first I didn't know why, then realized it was because of my late grandmother. She was definitely more content than the average person (even though her life as an Irish immigrant had not been an easy one)and her signature quips showed it. Just this week my child has been learning from me one of her oft-uttered phrases: "I SEE said the blind man, who could not see at all" which, of course, she applied, with a smile, to any baffling situation. Many years ago, as our family car approached the driveway, she'd purr, "Home again, home again, jiggety jog." My child often mutters that antiquated phrase as we pull into our driveway. Gram's soothing phrases served as a reminder to the rest of us (who, unlike Gram, were hotheads) that in reality, all is well, so loosen up and smile. Thank heavens for my Gram and your husband! I'll be crying all day.

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel (of the Dawn)...ah yes. The "don't sit down, just drop down or plop down" technique, that's sure to give any one in near distance a slipped disc, and also wreak havoc (I wanted to say "hell," but I am trying to be more P.C.) on the health of your furniture. I know this technique too well. Times three, I might add.

Alas, I have reverted to "prepared meals" the past two weeks. I must get back some semblance of sanity...I'm afraid the preservatives have already starting to affect my reasoning and logic. Who knows? One more prepared meal and I might be the topic of an article somewhere..."California Woman Hijacks SUV and Rips Out DVD Player and Throws it and all DVDs into the Ocean." BTW, she also can't stop talking in abbreviations.

Happy Friday Chica...

Ciao.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...tears of joy I hope - at the tiny glimpse of your gram that lives on within your child. This is what takes my breath away. When I glimpse the father in the son.

Okay...I will share for you and the child a favorite of my husband, and of course now the boys (definitely a guy thing). Please keep in mind that when the youngest was five-years-old (he is almost 20 now), and his stoic grandmother came to visit, we asked that he do the honors with the evening prayer before dinner. Here is what he said...
-------------------------
"One bright morning in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other. Drew their swords and shot one another. Two deaf policemen heard the noise. Came and got them two dead boys."
---------------------------
Now, I sat at the table trying not to laugh, yet worried about my mother-in-law's reaction. After Patrick finished, he duly crossed himself and then looked up at his grandmother with a grin. Smiling, she said..."Why Patrick, how nice. That always was a favorite of your fathers when he was little. Though I don't ever remember him saying it as a prayer."

The sum of the sons (and/or the daughters) equals the father (and/or the mother and/or the grandmother, and/or the grandfather).

Ciao and have a great week chica!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...happy Friday! I never know where an essay will lead me. I start with the first paragraph and then life just flows from there. So...I think it must be that we are similar, all of us. I used to think "Is it just me?" Thank goodness it is not. Thank goodness that I have all of you to keep me grounded.

Also...I post on Fridays so that I feel better on the weekend. I'm glad this works for you as well. :)

Ciao Chris...enjoy! And remember..."Horn works, try the lights!"
Reach said…
Dear Teri,
Friday mornings arrive and I wake with a new enthusiasm. Yes, I admit that I look forward to your new articles.
Geographically speaking, I honestly did not realize that you are familiar with my current area. By that, I mean, I hate to drive the 91 when I was living in Placentia. Glad I moved south.
As for the driving, I leave the yelling and nail bitting to my passengers- yes, I am one of those. However, in my defense, I miss my Jet.
Have a great weekend.

Reach
Anonymous said…
Yes, the furniture thing... In school, guys must've heard it as "Drop, Plop, and Loll". My men do it too.

Your husband and your sons sound rather - hmmm... it seems wise to stay calm and to laugh it off, but is it wisdom, or is it just being "laid back"?

Did you feel outnumbered in your house as your sons grew up?

What interesting math. I have to say, I'm pretty glad that my brother got the anger part of our mother. :) They are the sighers, the "why is it taking so long" complainers. I'm the smiler, the "been a rough day?" commiserater.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...from the sky to the "91" is quite a transition. I understand completely that you would rather fly than drive. I wonder, with all the nail-biting, are you often the designated driver?

If I ever see a "flying" jeep, I shall know that it is either you, or that I am in desperate need of a designated driver. :)

I am so glad that you look forward to Fridays...as do I.

Ciao...Enjoy the weekend.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
Thanks for the new phrases. I usually don't get angry on the road. But staying unruffled is a skill I've had to learn (am a Fire Horse in Chinese Astro - what does that tell you? Yea, speed and passion :).

I do ok most of the time. Have a hard time in personal situations, sometimes. My plan is to marry a man who'll be unruffled by my 2-minute outbursts, and has the patience to see that my temper cools off in 10 mins flat. That's key to being my soulmate and mate, I think.

Now - where did I go, from temper to soulmate...huh. I'll do *that* Math later! :)

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Ah Raynwomaan, hello. Yes, sometimes I do feel outnumbered in my household as I do not have the testosterone necessary to "compete" when the three (plus my brother) are all together. However, I have other elements that allow me to keep up...and once-in-awhile...win! But I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

As for wisdom vs. laid-back, I just don't know. I prefer to take to say wisdom, as they each have a healthy temper...they just temper it...and it usually only surfaces when truly justified and necessary. And they are all high achievers in their fields of interest. They are also generally considerate and respectful of others. For the most part, we have raised them with the "to each his own" attitude. But, I must say, and as you picked up...they are pretty laid-back. Not apathetic, just relaxed. And they do like to laugh. Even at the silliest things. Get them all together and they will laugh for hours, until I finally give in and laugh along with them (or at them), even if I don't know why I am laughing. It is infectious.

Here's to infectious laughter.

Ciao chica...have a great weekend.
Sideways Chica said…
Hello Priya. I must be a fire horse also. Good thing I found my soul mate. Easy math here...so far it's been a pretty good formula.

I wish the same (or better) for you...

Ciao for now...and enjoy the week.
Anonymous said…
I'll raise a glass to infectious laughter! And to knowing the difference between apathy and being 'laid-back'!
Sideways Chica said…
Back at you...I'm just about to go find that glass. I hope I find some infectious laughter somewhere this weekend...and something good to put in that glass!

Ciao for now...
Shankari said…
Wow! This one here is so good (as it always is!). I have to remind myself to use the lights before testing the horn (yes it works a LOT for me!).

The father-son thing now- I promise that my little one is even more like his father's father than the father himself was! He is so kind, so loving and caring that I often wonder how the wisdom of age has seeped into a little kid. Yes, DNA, but it does go further than that. If child be the father of man, it sure is a complicated equation for me to decode- I'm just happy its so!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...your happiness in your son's spirit, like my sons' laughter, is infectious. Would that we could market it and sell it. Then no need for lottery tickets! Actually, some days I feel as if I won the lottery...and then there are the other days! Oh well, with the "son" there always comes a little rain afterward.

Here's to counting our blessings.

Ciao chica...have a good week.
Nicole said…
You know, I'd never even thought of those phrases being politically incorrect. My father used them (and still uses them) all the time. To me they were just innocuous statements people made. But I will definitely watch my own tongue from here on out. ;)
Mellissa said…
Teri,

What a great post, what handsome sons and what a nice bit of humor to end my day.

I will replay this post in my head next time I am feeling a little "honky" and just get over it and move on to making sure my lights work (which is my smile I hope).

Have a great weekend!!!

Mellissa
Leann said…
I will have to remember that saying the next time I'm in line in front of a *sigher*.

I had to remind myself to be calm in the store yesterday. I found myself sighing and instantly made myself STOP that!

I am usually the laid back, don't mind me, take your time, kinda gal. I am human tho, I have my moments.

Driver......I'm probably the one you're wishing would get off the road...lol...no hurry here.

Enjoy your weekend.
Kacey said…
Your boys sound like people I would really love to be around ... must be that you and your husband are really great examples.
If you really want to lose your mind, try driving in southern Florida when all the "golden oldies" are turned loose on the highways. Drivers here act as though "they were born in
the basement and never brought up!"
For Betty--- I think her grandmother meant to say, "I see said the blind man" as he picked up his hammer and saw!
The best thing about retirement is teaching "my honey" not to sweat the small stuff. I pray that the sum of our lives will be reflected in our children and grandchildren.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...how refreshing to hear your father uses these sayings. My husband is originally from Minnesota...what about your Dad?

Ciao for now chica...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Melissa...thank you for your kind words. How funny you should say you will replay this in your head...I had to replay it over and over again today myself, especially when I encountered the late Friday crowd at our local Costco warehouse store. I was hit with baskets twice and then was almost run down in the parking lot by two big SUVs. Then later, a jetta tried to run me over in the parking lot at the gym. I think I was being tested. I just kept saying "Horn works...." over and over again in my mind. I have to say that it worked. I did wish for Reach's flying jeep several times!

Have a wonderful week! Ciao.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...I think we all have our moments. No...you are not the driver that makes me crazy. Taking your time is one thing, not paying attention is another. I'm glad you have a great sense of humor about things. I always do best with a little levity in stressful situations.

Ciao bella...and enjoy the week.
Sideways Chica said…
How clever you are Kacey! No, I think I will pass on the Florida driving. I had a hard enough time in Minnesota a few years back when I encountered "Minimum" Speed Limit signs. Talk about laughter, our boys really got a kick out of that. They still talk of Grandma's 90th B-day "Reunion" and the 3-hour plus roadtrip from the airport...and how we were the only ones in the "fast" lane!

Here's to the sum of the grandparents! May it equal the children, the grandchildren, and great grandchildren!

Ciao my friend...have fun and enjoy those basement drivers.
Sarah Beth said…
I used to be a horn blower, and I must say I was headed down a dark road. Then I started aligning myself with people who have their lights on. Talk about 360 turnaround. And my boyfriend sounds like your husband and sons. A sense of humor is so important! And to think in my formative dating years it wasn't even on my imaginary "list."

Well done.
fjl said…
This was a REALLY nice post Teri. The science, the apology for numeracy and then an innovative analysis. xx nice one. Did you do social science?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear "somebody" girl...I am so happy for your complete "rotation," and that you have found your sense of humor. I know I say it often, but I really believe that a little humor goes a long way in getting us through tough, stressful and unhappy times.

Dare I say that you're boyfriend sounds like a keeper, as do you?

Ciao chica...thanks for turning on the lights.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...thank you for the kind praise. I do the "social" but not so much the science. Having said that, I am a keen observer. And communication of any type, and the sheer existence of methods for communication, have always fascinated me. Be it dolphins, dogs, cats, or people. I am also a pragmatist...I judge on actions not words. I was born this way, and have no choice. The result is that I look to other things, not just words, to find meanings that make sense to me. And it is important to me that I figure things out. Life to me is a puzzle, or a chess game. If this, then what...

Pretty deep for a Saturday afternoon, but I thought it might shed some light on my analysis of what I "see" and how it finds its way to paper, or computer screen. Round hole, square peg doesn't work for me.

Ciao chica...thanks for stopping by.
Anonymous said…
I try not to go into the bank, because at least her, most workers are grossly underpaid, and have tudes that can kill,

When I go to the bank I expect the teller to listen to me when I ask for a check to be certified, not to spend five minutes talking to her friends, and then ask me "how do you want the money?"

Banks happen to be my trigger--so I make sure that I'm extra nice, usually. But when I watch bank employees I realize why they're so many peoples trigger points.

The customer isn't always wrong. Yes the woman behind you was wrong; but she could have had a death in her family, been told her job or something else was in jeopardy

Rage is a societal problem and something that has to be dealt with on many many levels

That said it's just easier to be nice; and you don't risk death
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Pia...such true words. I feel about the post office the way you do about the bank. It is definitely a scary, tense, twilight zone experience.

That's why I tried to make the woman laugh on purpose. We all have bad days, and I, unlike my boys, am not the most patient person. Of course I did want her to stop spitting on my neck too. :)

Thanks for stopping by chica...have a great week.

Ciao.
Anonymous said…
I know it's been a while since I left a message, but you know I read every one. This is so true to Steve and your sons. I am still laughing at the spittle.

Ciao yourself!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear SuzySays...yes, you know us well. And you rememember the day of the "spittle" long before I wrote about it. Thanks for reading...and thanks for taking the time to comment. I miss your little messages! :)

Ciao bella...
Anonymous said…
Dear readers,
I just had contact with Teri Franta, her internet service is fubar. As soon as it is up and running, she will post her new article. She is sorry for the inconvenience.
Miz Prinny
Kacey said…
Inconvenience? What about withdrawal? I'm sorry about your FUBAR, Teri, but we will still be here awaiting the "pearls of wisdom" dropping from your fertile brain. You're getting to be a habit with me! Even my husband gives up playing Solitare on Fridays, so I can have my Franta Fix!

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred