Can you imagine?

Can you imagine living to be 97-years old? Not sick, not ailing...not lonely? Living in good health? Living a good life? Living this way for most of those 97-years? I can't, but my mother-in-law, Marvelous Marvel, did just that. I was only around for 15 of those years, but I wouldn't have missed them for the world. True, the last few years were hard on us all...but that still left 90-plus great years.

It's taken me over a year to able to write this piece, but I made a promise to Marvel. I told her on that last Thanksgiving Day, just a week before her death, that I would write about Marvelous Marvel and remind myself and others what it was like while she was in the world. I promised her that I would never forget her. If I am not as wry or witty...or if there are not as many "read-between-the-line" innuendos as usual, it is out of respect for this woman who touched my life so deeply.

During the last five-years of her wonderful odyssey, I had several conversations with Marvel about the many changes in the world that she had witnessed. We talked of politics, technology and people. We talked of morals and values, and the decline thereof. The world had changed so much during her life span, that after the current Iraq conflict broke out, she stopped watching her beloved CNN. The coverage worried her. She did not understand, and she did not want to. Marvel cast her last ballot in a presidential race in 2004. She was very sad that her candidate did not win. Marvel was almost 13-years-old when the nineteenth amendment (granting women the right to vote) was ratified. She took this right seriously. I remember that after the 2000 presidential election, Marvel was riveted to CNN for days, then weeks, trying to find out who her next President would be. I think this is when she began to give up on understanding the world in which she lived. But Marvel continued on in amazingly good health, as evidently (she said) her god intended. I knew she would slip away soon when most of her days were spent watching reruns of Lawrence Welk and waiting for Jeopardy each evening. You see, her mind was still sharp as a tack. It was sharper than mine on a good day. She didn't miss a beat — until that December morning when her heart beat no more, and it was a blessing.

It was a blessing because Marvel was ready to go — even if we weren't ready to let her go. Her "gang," as she called her group of friends, was long gone. She was the sole survivor. She had outlived her husband by over 20-years, outlived her eldest child by 14-years, survived breast cancer without a glitch in her seventies, had two knee replacements in her late eighties, and had taken care of the less fortunate for years (and years and years). Marvel was very tired. She was ready to rest her weary soul. She was ready to join her old friends and loved ones in a place that she could understand.

Marvel was very religious. She was old school Catholic. She had to endure the personal pain (and embarrassment) of watching three of her children go through divorces, and then remarry. In each case, she did her best to accept (and bond with) her new son and daughters-in-law. I am one of those daughters-in-law.

I remember the first time I met Marvel. Wow. To say I was intimidated is an understatement. She was a direct, straightforward woman who spoke her mind and let you know exactly how she felt — whether you asked or not. Nothing was off-limits. If she wanted to know something, she asked. I had never met anyone like her. She was the matriarch — very regal in her manner and always dressed to the nines. Up until a few years before her death, Marvel still made all of her clothes. They fit her perfectly and conveyed her unique style. She was funny and had a great sense of humor. She loved to tell stories, play cards and dance. Would that she could have passed on the dancing trait to my husband. At least he got her sense of humor — and is a pretty savvy card player himself.

Marvel was also an extraordinary cook and baker. We miss her peanut brittle, English toffee and lemon bars. I attempted her toffee during the holidays this year. It came out okay...and my gang was thrilled. For me it wasn't the same. My scorched hands, ruined kitchen towels, and the smoke alarm going off during the critical stove to cookie sheet transfer might have dampened the experience a bit. Or maybe I just missed getting the toffee from Marvel — every Christmas like clockwork — in a tin that had seen more years than I had. I will make the toffee again, and it will go smoother. The first time, I had Marvel's little voice telling me exactly what I did wrong — after I did it. I've no doubt she'll make sure I get it right the next time. Yes, Marvel's spirit lives on. What was strong in life is strong in death. There is one lesson about the toffee that I learned on my own. I will not buy the Hershey bars a week in advance. They evaporate...or at least that's how my husband explained the half-empty box.

My first trip to visit Marvel in Sun City, Arizona was interesting. She was 82. She decided that I bore enough of a resemblance to my husband's first wife that she would just introduce me to her friends as her son's wife (the previous one), and no one would be the wiser...about his divorce, that is. If this didn't work, she was going to introduce me as her manicurist. Let me interject here. My husband had been separated for almost two years when I met him, with the divorce imminent. In other words, I was not a home wrecker. Boy did I feel like one that day. And yes, my husband has a few years on me, and no, we weren't married at the time. Also, I was not a manicurist, nor have I ever been one. However, who was I to argue with the matriarch? I was taught to respect my elders...and, as Marvel said, "Most of these folks don't see, hear or remember too well anyway." Before going along with her plan, I looked to my husband for support. He was speechless. So, dazed and confused, we went with the flow until the first encounter with one of Marvel's many friends. It was with a 90-year-old man who had known the family for at least 30-years. When the matriarch started to introduce me as my husband's (previous) wife, and by her name (not mine), he said "Marvel, are you losing your mind? This isn't Steve's wife. Don't you remember? They're divorced. I just got a Christmas card last week. This must be his new girlfriend. You need to get to the doctor and have your eyes checked again." Whew! I was saved by Henry — a charming little man who still had an eye for the ladies — and could most definitely tell one chica from another.

I have many favorite Marvel stories, but one that I will share here embodies her no-nonsense approach to life. When she had breast cancer she opted for a double mastectomy. A 70-year-old widow, with no intention of ever being romantically involved again, she told the doctor not to mess around. "Take them both," she told him. "I don’t need them anymore." Now, let's skip forward about 20-years. When Marvel was 90, she called me up in what my husband calls a tithy. She was upset with her new young doctor, and this doctor was just as upset with her. I asked Marvel what had happened. She said, "You know that corn that has been bothering me...on my right baby toe?" I wonder if you can you guess where I'm going with this? Yes, that's right. Marvel asked the doctor to cut off her right baby toe because she was tired of fussing with that bothersome corn. "After all," she told him, "I don’t need it anymore." Can you imagine this 30-something doctor's reaction? Had he only known Marvel a little better, he wouldn't have been surprised at all. In fact, he may have laughed...and done as she asked. Rest assured that when Marvel finally decided to continue her odyssey...as she joined her husband, friends and daughter in the afterworld, she did so with both baby toes intact. I remember telling her not to worry, that this was for the best — that she might want to dance again someday. Marvel is dancing, this I know. She's also watching over her family — reminding us of right and wrong, shaking that right index finger at us when we get too impressed with ourselves — or with modern technology.

I mention technology because the one conversation with Marvel I hold dearest involves modern advances that came about in the final years of her amazing journey. I thought she would be impressed with the Internet. Nope. I thought e-mail would thrill her. Not so much. What about VCRs, DVDs, Tivo and Ipods? Wrong again. No matter what new invention came about — no matter how state-of-the-art, Marvel remained unimpressed. One day, I finally asked her..."Why don't any of these modern conveniences impress you?" She looked at me and smiled. Then she explained that while these things might make my life more convenient, and enjoyable, they really didn't matter much to her. As for computers, e-mail and text messaging, she said she would rather hear someone's voice...or get a personal note the old fashioned way — handwritten and delivered by the mailman. Then she spoke of her days with no telephone. She believed that the telephone was much more impressive than any other communication device that she had known in her lifetime. As for VCRs, DVDs, Tivo and Ipods, she said they all paled in comparison to the advent and refinement of electricity, the radio and then, of course, television — all of which she had lived without, at some point, in her lifetime. There was a brief comment about the microwave oven. She thought it might deserve an honorable mention. I attribute this to Marvel's fondness of popcorn. In those last few years, this was a treat she could still make for herself...in her microwave, of course.

I've had over a year to put Marvel's assessment of our modern conveniences into perspective. How interesting her musings were — and how ignorant I was. To think that a woman who had lived so long, a woman who could remember what it was like to live without electricity, indoor plumbing, a washing machine, a dryer, a refrigerator, a dish washer and a television, would be impressed with the World Wide Web. As usual, Marvel had the last word...and I believe she was right. Nothing we invent today (nor I suspect in the future) will ever be as significant as electricity and, as Marvel emphatically pointed out, indoor plumbing.

So, each time I turn on my computer, I count my blessings. I try not to get too impressed with myself, nor with any technological advance that can't replace my Toto Quiet Flush toilet, with soft close lid. When a new invention does comes along, I remember this special lady's words on that beautiful October afternoon. Then I remind myself (once again) that I've yet to see in my lifetime any modern marvel that comes close to my Marvelous Marvel. Guar-an-teed!

In memory of Marvel: I miss you. May your little golden shoe be filled with the many coins that I’m sure you've won — playing poker and bridge with all your old friends in your new home.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Sideways Chica said…
Dear Readers...I have posted early as I will be unable to post later this evening.

Also, I touch a bit on politics...but it is not my intention, nor do I encourage this to be taken as a political commentary, nor commented on as such. It is simply "my" story about an extraordinary woman that I was lucky enough to have in my life for fifteen years.

Enjoy!
Kacey said…
You have touched on the angst that hovers ever closer to us as we age --- sometimes, not too gracefully. We want to go clear to the very end having fun all the way, but our aging bodies get ever less agile and our minds get calcified like our joints. I heard Tammy Faye Baker say last week, "I'm not afraid to die, but I just don't want to be there when it happens!" I say, "Amen!" Your Marvelous Marvel sounds like a barrel of fun --- how lucky you were to be the second "First Mrs. Steve". I'm left wishing that I knew you better, because your writings and tributes to family and friends make me wish you were my kid! You have a lovely heart, Chica.
Debbie said…
Marvelous Marvel is no doubt THRILLED with you tribute to her. I for one can not wait to hear more. Elder stories are the best, they remember everything.
Blessings!
Anonymous said…
Wow, you're right. There's no way I can imagine what it's like to go without the invention that powers 99% of the inventions we've come to know today. Geez, the stuff we take advantage on a daily basis. It's MIND-BLOWING!

(By the way, my blog address has changed. it's now: http://nicolemart.badtofu.com)
Anonymous said…
Teri, each Friday, I come here expecting an amazing article, and each week, I'm blown away with how you outdo yourself. This one takes the cake (an orange cake. With orange frosting).

Through the course of your article, I fell in love with Marvelous Marvel. She reminded me strongly of my own Mother-In-Law, who is 76, with all her own teeth and in remarkable health. These lovely, vibrant matriarchs are so precious. Thank you for sharing this tribute.

The story of the toffee reminded me of my Nanny, my Mom's Mother. She was always in ill health, and knew she wouldn't outlive her children. She and I would talk a lot while she made her famous biscuits, and one day, she asked me if there was anything of hers that I wanted when she died. I was 16 at the time, and not really sure what to make of that, so I gave her a wide smile, and said, "Yes! I want your biscuit-making ability". She died a bit over two years later, and for the first family dinner afterwards, I made the biscuits. Teri, I could *feel* my Nanny telling me what to do. Nearly everyone at the table was in tears when those biscuits turned out just like hers. Keep trying the toffee. Marvelous Marvel will help you get it right.
Chris said…
I am in complete agreement with Raynwomaan. I love Marvelous Marvel. And, like Rayn, she reminds me of my own grandmother.

I've always wanted to sit down with her and talk about all that she's seen in her life, but I feel like I'm being insulting, like I'm treating her as some sort of historical artifact. But maybe that's just me being weird. Fortunately, my grandma is used to that. ;) Oh, and I have a food story too! My grandma used to make this casserole that was the most amazing tasting meal you've ever had in your life. She usually made it when we went camping. Well, a few years ago I asked for the recipe, and, while mine is nowhere near as good as hers, I think I might be getting close. I've been thinking of making it for her, to see if it passes muster.

This was a wonderful post, as all of yours are. Thank you so much for sharing the story of this remarkable woman.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I am so happy that you enjoyed this story. I was hoping you would.

As for being your kid...I am honored, flattered. Back at you. Mutual adoption. Sounds good to me!

Ciao bella...heres to having fun all the way.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...I agree. I love to ask, and then listen, to stories of those who have lived much more than I.

Thanks for stopping by. Ciao for now..
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...mind blowing it is. No kidding...everytime I turn on my computer now, I think WOW. And no, I can't even begin to imagine what life would be like without all those modern conveniences we take for granted.

Thanks for your new address. I was wondering...

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Okay my dear Raynwomaan...I cried over several parts of my story. And now you brought those tears right back up there with your wonderful biscuits. Wonderful. Thank you for sharing, and for appreciating "Can you imagine?"

BTW, Orange Cake - Fabulous! Marvel would be proud!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...I think if you sat down with your grandma and asked her to tell you some stories about her life, that she would feel flattered. Go for it! I think you will really enjoy it.

Also, I am so happy that you could connect with this story. It is a special one for me...and was not easy to write, polish, polish again, polish again, and then let go...In fact, I am sure I will continue to edit and work on it this entire week that it is featured.

Ciao for now...have a great week.
B.S. said…
I love Marvel's sense of humor- deciding that you looked enough like the 1st wife to pass you off as her is one of the funniest real-life stories I've heard in a long time. I'm willing to bet that it's that sense of humor which helped her to outlive nearly everybody! You also touched on one of the aspects of growing older which scares me, which is having to watch more and more loved ones die, and in her case, even her eldest child. I guess it's that strong sense of humor which carried Marvel and balanced out the tough times.

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...how wise you are. Yes, I do believe her sense of humor helped Marvel through many tough situations that others wouldn't have been able to survive.

She was a strong, proud woman who lived life instead of letting life live her. If you know what I mean.

I love the manicurist bit also...never could figure out where that came from. Did I look like a manicurist, or what! Guess I'll never know...but I will always enjoy the memory, even if it wasn't so "funny" at the time.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Shankari said…
Teri,

Thanks for sharing a story w/ her joys, her badges and all! :)
Sideways Chica said…
My dear Shankari...you are very welcome. Thank you for enjoying her story.

Ciao chica...have a great week!
Tai said…
"What was strong in life is strong in death."

What a perfectly beautiful sentence.

I never got to know my own grandmothers well...it's a pity, because I feel like a sort of 'missed out' on some really important experiences.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tai...welcome and thank you. It's important for me to tell you about this sentence you love. It's the first sentence I wrote when I started this article several months ago. While it eventually was moved down...protected on both sides with other verbage, it remains my favorite, and it remains the heart of this story. It also makes me get a catch in my throat each time I read it.

The fact that this sentence spoke to you, as it does to me, is heartwarming indeed. Thank you for warming my heart today.

I post a new article every Friday. Hope to see you back again.

Ciao for now...
Reach said…
Teri,
Today's article was tough for me. You reminded me of time, in my life, where I lost somebody. My grandfather, Otto, born in the year 1900, had a goal to live 100 years. He, too, fell short of those years by less than a handfull.

This is all I can say,

Have a great weekend

T
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...I am touched by your love of your grandfather. I am sure he is watching over you as Marvel is of her loved ones. I also know how you feel, because this was a tough one to write...and post.

Here's to Marvel and Otto!

Take care and have a great week.


Ciao.
Reach said…
Teri,
I was so moved by your post, I decided to follow your lead and I am posting about Otto.

Here is to Marvel and Otto!

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Good for you Reach!
Leann said…
What a poignant story. I love listening to the elderly, they have experiences we cannot even begin to imagine. There's no way the world wide web compares to the invention of electricity or the car or the color t.v. etc.

What a wonderful tribute to a fabulous lady. Should we all live with such dignity.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...thank you so much for your wonderful comment. Poignant is such a wonderfully descriptive word for "my" story of a truly fabulous woman.

BTW, I love the new photo.

Here's to living with "such" dignity.

Ciao chica...have a great week!
Priyamvada_K said…
What a lovely lady! And to know that she had witnessed so much of history is wonderful in its own right. Touching story, and tribute. May the marvelous lady rest in peace.

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
There you are Priya... I am so happy you took the time to read (and enjoy) my story on a "lovely lady."

Thank you for your kind words and please take care. I hope that all is better in your corner of the world.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
fjl said…
This is a lovely, touching post, touching on a very interesting era.
For me, witnesses to the eras so many years ago are very valuable indeed. Marvel sounds like such a one xx
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...thank you. You and I are alike in so many ways. I appreciate your lovely comment.

Here's to those valuable eras so many years ago...may we not forget them, and may we learn from them.

Ciao bella...and have a great week.
Angel said…
I can imagine and do so every day!

My great gran lived to 92 and we had a lot in common.

I am shooting for 108 which will be 2069 ~ I'm just saying....
Sarah Beth said…
Teri,

Thanks for the note. I'm feeling a little better. Marvel's insights on modern technology are really interesting. Modern society often has this arrogance ... we're always vying to out-do past inventions, trying to get better and better, but Marvel's right, it will never be like a first phone call or having electricity for the first time (well, unless, of course, if we end up settling people on the moon, then I might have to rephrase that).

Excellent story.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel...I don't plan to be around in 2069, I'm just saying. :)
However, I will keep an eye on you! Somebody has to, now don't they? BTW, I bet you'll do it too...make it to 108!

Enjoy the ride, all the way chica!

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Sarah (Somebody Girl)...I'll go to the moon when they have Toto Quiet Flush toilets with soft close lids. Until then, I'm earth bound and will make do with what I have.

Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed the article...and Marvel's perspective. :)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...your "Gram" sounds like a lovely woman. How lucky you were to have her in your life for so long. She is smiling down on you...as Marvel is on her loved ones.

Here's to your Gram's wonderful summers on Block Island!

Ciao chica...have a great week.
What a lovely tribute. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading.
Doug Bagley said…
She sounds like she was a great lady, one I would have loved to have met and chatted with for hours. Thanks for sharing.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...I was pretty sure you were still reading. But I also know that you (and Izzy and Callisto) usually comment more on the "With Friends Like These..." articles. Hopefully I'll serve one up to you soon. My friends have been behaving rather well these days...maybe I'll have to stir the pot. ;-)

Thanks for reading...and enjoying "my" Marvel story. Good to hear from you.

Ciao chica...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...welcome and thank you for the kind words. No doubt you would have enjoyed a chat with Marvelous Marvel. She was quite entertaining...and quite a character.

I post a new article every Friday. Hope you can stop by again.

Ciao for now...
BabyGirl said…
After reading your beautiful tribute..I don't know who was more blessed..you for knowing her...or her for knowing you.
God Bless.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Babygirl...thank you. I am so glad you stopped by. I think where Marvel was concerned, there were a lot of blessings to be shared. But I know that I am a better person for having known her...and I will never forget her.

I hope you visit my round table again. I post a new article every Friday.
Debbie said…
Miss Teri, I had to just say that you always make sure to make everyone welcome and special. Do you realize what a special person that makes you? Keep on sharing your Light.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...thank you for your "welcome" comment. Thank you also for joining in and enjoying my "light."

Ciao chica...have a great day.
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhh...there you are Izzy. Your Great Aunt Dots sounds like she was a wonderful lady. How lucky you were to have her...and how wise to appreciate having her in your life.

Here's to sneezing through that box of chocolates! I love it.

Ciao bella...thanks for making it by and enjoying my story.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Izzy...

P.S. I do like your new picture, but I also miss seeing your smiling face. :-)

Teri

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred