Carry-out at Costco? Not me!

As I ended a phone conversation with my mother recently, I told her I was off to Costco — a nearby warehouse store. She asked what was on my list. My mother wouldn't ordinarily ask this question, but as it was late afternoon on a Friday, she was surprised I was going to venture out among the pre-weekend shopping crowds. You see, I detest shopping in these mega stores at any time...and she knows this. Plus, she knew I had dinner plans with friends that evening at their home. So no, she wasn't being nosy, she was just curious as to what on earth could get me to go to Costco when I was just about an hour short of starting my weekend. I laughed and told her that it wasn’t anything special (such as a television, or a new computer). I told her I was going for paper towels, facial tissue, and window cleaner. She said, "Oh, you're doing your windows this weekend." Again, I laughed and told her no. I explained that we were almost out of these items and that I didn’t want to run out completely. I could almost visualize the big question mark hanging over her head as we finally said goodbye and hung-up. I knew she was wondering why I didn't just wait for a better time...with less crowds. I imagined her thinking, "So what if you run out of paper towels? You can always fill in from the local hardware store or grocery store." And she would be right, as this is normally what I would do.

All the way to Costco (about a 10 or 15-minute drive), I felt guilty. Was this guilt because I felt the need to buy 36-rolls of paper towels at one time — or, because I chose to hoard a full year's worth of Windex? No. Perhaps I should have felt guilty for not shopping locally, but I do. Shop locally, that is. I make a point of purchasing specific items at our local hardware store, grocery stores and boutiques. My husband and I have discussed this subject, and we sincerely try to support our local neighborhood as much as possible — paper towels, tissue, and Windex aside. The reason I felt guilty is that I wouldn't admit to myself, much less to my mother, that these items were just an excuse. I was going to Costco, on a busy Friday afternoon, to get a prepackaged, refrigerated, jalapeno artichoke "cheater's" dip. You just put it in a shallow glass container, broil it for 20-minutes, add some Triscuits (also from Costco), and you have a great hors d'oeuvre. It's always a big hit...and the glass container needs very little washing, as there's never any dip left. Now, if I have "sold" you on this dip and you are off to buy a container or two, please wait and read on. Then if you feel the need to dash off to Costco and face the crowds, then fine...and bon appetit.

Traffic was a little congested, but I finally arrived at Costco and found a somewhat safe parking place about a quarter of a mile away. I hiked to the entry doors while dodging cars and baskets, dug out my membership card to gain entrance, and took about 35 minutes to purchase various items, including my contribution to that evening's dinner — the cheater's dip. Still feeling a bit guilty, I checked out and moved toward the two huge exit doors, which were flanked on either side by official Costco personnel waiting to check receipts.

Maybe it was my mood, or perhaps I was still a bit concussed from running into a friend's sliding glass door the weekend before. Whatever the reason, I felt as if I had run into that slider once again. Not physically, but the sudden impact sure felt the same. It made my head throb, and I was certainly embarrassed. Standing there, in the middle of the exit pathway, I couldn't move. My 36-rolls of paper towels and I stood transfixed by a new display...which was sandwiched between carpet and an assorted pile of tires. This proverbial "closed, not open" sliding glass door mocked my big bag of potato chips and put my huge container of sour cream to shame, not to mention the number it did on my extra large bag of Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies. Okay, so I picked up a few other items while I was there. Blame it on the guilt.

Back to the display. Wow. I was stunned and appalled. A bit angry too. As I stood there, unable to proceed toward the two huge doors, out into the beckoning bright light of glorious sunshine that called to me...urging me to keep on going, the other shoppers rushed to get in line for their final checkpoint. Every basket overflowed with various bulk-buy items and cheater's food. Finally, I heard a voice, and I realized it was mine. It was my wonderful little inner voice coming to my rescue, helping me through an unexpected "I can't believe what I see" situation, as it usually does. "Really?" my little voice said. "Is this what life has come to? Caskets in Costco? What's next? Drive through cremation?"

It's taken me years to discover a fitting example for the phrase "adding insult to injury." Thank you, Costco. I find caskets appropriately injurious, and I find having them on display in Costco inappropriately insulting. I've also concluded that whoever decided that we need to shop for caskets in a wholesale warehouse (where we buy milk, eggs and bread...computers, televisions and vodka) has a sick sense of humor — or is just plain stupid. Why else would they put the display on our way out? How's that for irony? "Checking out" at Costco now takes on an entirely new meaning. What about those pre-prepared hot meals they offer? Yes, carry-out at Costco can now imply that you're bringing home hot delicious rotisserie chicken...or something else...something much less appetizing.

Eventually, as my inner voice and I settled down, I started to walk away from my internal collision with these coffin samples. As I was maneuvering my basket back into the flow of traffic, an elderly couple walked up beside the display. The husband told the wife that perhaps they should stop and take a look. Her posture showed obvious reluctance...but she cautiously proceeded. This is when I felt the embarrassment. I was an intruder in what should have been a private affair. I guess that's my point. How could I be an intruder in such a public setting? Next came my anger. Then I felt a shudder course through my body and I was overtaken by an overwhelming sadness that this couple's weekly outing to Costco brought them unexpectedly face-to-face with their mortality. He looked wistful. She looked sad. Their basket was loaded with the basics, including cranberry juice, vitamins, health bars, orange juice, milk, water, fruit, paper towels, tissue and toilet paper. It also looked as if they might have a special evening planned, because there were steaks, potatoes, a bottle of wine and a yummy-looking chocolate cake sitting prominently on top of the pile. It was the cake that "did me in." As the husband took a brochure and turned toward the "final exit," I heard the wife softly say, "We shouldn’t have bought the cake. It's not good for us." Maybe it was my imagination, but I felt that their evening wasn't going to be as cheery as they had once anticipated. I felt that their hopes had been unexpectedly buried — six feet under — due to Costco's desire to provide us with everything we need (or at least, we will need someday) — in one spot, and for the right price. Too bad someone didn't consider that price and convenience isn't everything. Perhaps they did...and price and convenience still won out.

Either way, I find caskets in Costco beyond the pale — out of line and most definitely insensitive. There are some things that should never be...ever. Things that don't fit and shouldn't be forced. Like that square peg in the round hole. Yes, if we keep forcing it, or sand it a little, eventually it may work...but it will never be a good fit. And it will never be right. Plus, we run the risk of getting used to living with these ill-fitting examples of a life gone mad. Therefore, I am speaking up. I am weighing in. My answer is not to just complain. My answer is to do something about this — or rather, do nothing. As in, don't buy caskets from Costco. Lest you think I place the blame solely on those wiley "powers that be" at Costco, I don't. We take some of the blame. It's that price and convenience issue again. And we all understand supply and demand. It's key to successful selling strategies. Costco provides the supply, and we provide the demand. While certainly there will always be a need for caskets, I don’t think we should demand they be in our local mega stores. In fact, we should demand they are not. We should step up and let our money talk. Let us be heard before it's too late...and one of our relatives goes to Costco, to purchase our final resting place, without partaking in delicious and decadent chocolate cake. Whew! Almost fell off the soap box.

In closing, I want to share that I took my cheater's dip to the dinner party and it was a hit. When I told the hostess it was from Costco and that I should have made my own artichoke dip, the one I used to make, she said, "Why would you? This is great, it's easier and it takes less time, plus everyone loves it." Why would I, indeed? Did it really take less time to schlep over to Costco? No. Was it more convenient? No. Was it really as good as my dip — or better? Not really. It was just different. What about the feeling of accomplishment? We can't discount that, as we have everything else in our lives, can we? It's been a long time, but I do remember that wonderful feeling I used to get when someone complimented my homemade dip. Sure, I felt great that it was enjoyed by all...but I also felt pride that I made it myself...and didn't just "discover" it. It was mine, and no one else could duplicate it — unless I gave away my mother's secret ingredient.

So, let's do some real cooking — on our own, and in our own (not-so-inconvenient) kitchens. Let's open our sliding glass doors, step out into the sunshine and do a little shopping locally. Otherwise, we may find ourselves buying eggs, bread, cookies, chips, juice, computers, televisions and vodka in a mortuary some day. All well and fine if you're planning one hell of a wake. But, as you know, we can't take it with us. So I leave you with this modified nursery rhyme: No Triscuits, no caskets...and no artichoke dip in my Costco basket.

Postscript:

I make no promises on the cake. I'm only human. Regardless of convenience and cost, that cake is pretty darn good. Also, I think it's admirable that I refrained from any “over my dead body” references...don't you?

Dedicated to local stores, boutiques and independent proprietors everywhere (including mortuaries). May they stay where they are and continue to provide their unique supply of goods to meet our unique supply of demands.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

moderator said…
Hah! It's not Friday yet, but I will be appalled with you in the future!

Ok, this is what comes immediately to mind: Caskets???? WTF????

I, too, hate shopping at these mega stores. There is just so...much...stuff...over...so...much...area. There has to be a line, even for gluttonous conspicuous consumption, and I think Costco has crossed it.

Are pigs flying?
Nicole said…
Well, looking at this through the eyes of a coldhearted business man, one could argue that Costco is only doing what any good corporation strives to do: provide for their customers.

Apparently it doesn't matter much whether those customers are living or dead...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Diva Leigh...WTF, indeed! I do believe pigs are flying somewhere.

Yes, I posted early because last week cable went down and I was so frustrated that I decided to not tempt fate...or at least Cox Cable.

Ciao Divas...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...laugh out loud funny! I am still laughing. It's been a tough week and I needed that. Thank you.

"Final" word: I guess money talks and BS walks...dead or alive.

Ciao chica...hope all is well in your world. Have not had time to "blog" lately, as the home life has been a bit crazy.
Angel said…
OOooo~ let's have an artichoke dip war!

Or not.

Let's look at the bright side, or the far side in my case....

You can pack a lot of triscuts in a casket for the trip home!

From Costco I mean, not in the biblical sense. And why we're on the subject--- I do believe they'd take offense if you showed up with anything less than YOUR home made dip at the pearly gates, especially that it will most likely be poker night.

Isn't every night poker night in heaven?

No caskets for me period!

I am being cremated and shot up in fireworks---fireworks make people happy......and cover their ears (there's a joke there..).
Anonymous said…
Live in Manhattan without a car--so I always shop local

As for cooking, in Manhattan you sacrfice things--I sacrificed a good working kitchen for an extra half bath

Really ready to live like a real adult
Sideways Chica said…
Okay Angel (of the Dawn)..."Some triscuits, no caskets in your Costco basket!

Hope you're not offended, and may it be many, many, many and many more years away...but can I light the match and be the one to say, "Let the fireworks begin?" One hell of a wake I say...with Vodka, Guinness, and of course my favorite Disarrono. :)

Ciao chica...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Pia...yes, I completely understand the "extra half bath" priority. In fact, I once (a long time ago) put a coffe maker in mine...as my studio was so small that only one person could fit in the kitchen at a time.

I bet you would shop "locally" regardless of location, necessity and convenience. Hmmmm?

Ciao for now and thanks for stopping by.
theCallowQueen said…
Caskets. I'm surprised, thought I shouldn't be. I worked as a cashier at a Sam's Club part time during college. I lasted four months (and have rarely stepped into a Sam Walton store since).

I'd like to say that my boycott of Wal-Mart was purely about me sticking up for the little mom and pop shops. But in that were true, you'd think this boycott would extend to all big warehouse-like stores.

Last year, however, I ended up with a Costco card in my hand. I reasoned that Costco, unlike Walton et al., is known as a very good employer. And I'm still working on a pretty limited budget--my roommate even more so, so buying toilet paper, paper towels and granola bars in bulk could be forgiven, right?

Maybe, but I still feel the guilt.
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh, Dear Callow Queen...good to hear from you. And yes, I still buy (and will continue to buy) many items at Costco. Cost is a factor...and sometimes convenience as well.

Moderation is "my" message to self. And good taste (or lack of thereof) is my message to Costco. I would think they (Costco) have a healthy enough bottom line that they don't need to pander to the terminally ill, or grieving. Who else would purchase a coffin? It's not as though you would purchase it and then save it for a rainy day, is it? Really, they already have the pharmacy...isn't that enough?

Ciao chica...have a great weekend and enjoy those granola bars...I buy the Zone bars, and yes, I get them from Costco.

:)
Priyamvada_K said…
Supermarkets are getting weirder by the minute. "Shop till you drop" takes on a whole new meaning after reading your article. And looks like if anyone...errr...drops, they have handy caskets to "check them out" too. Whew! What a brainiac, the guy who thought of it is!

Did you mention decadent chocolate cake? Dreaming of it already....Love chocolate, especially dark.

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...love the "shop til you drop." Very clever chica. Now why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah...I was trying to "be good." I know how any mention of the "D-word" spooks some. (Are you listening Shankari?)

Here's to the Brain-iacs of the world...may they get a clue. BTW, I noticed you assumed it was a "guy" who thought this up. Hmmmm? Was this a "slip-up?" "Freudian?" Or did you mean what you wrote, exactly as you wrote it? I couldn't resist...just teasing you.

Ciao for now...and have a great week?
Angel said…
Teri~~~

You might have to draw straws for that and I take no offense.

I figure it should be a good and prper Irish wake that lasts at least 4 days.

I'm not ready to die but I'm no longer running in fear from it---mostly. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel...at least 4-days! Probably more.

BTW, in a case like this, I'm not sure if the shortest straw or the longest straw would take the honors. Knowing you, it would be colored straws, or some other variation.

Ciao chica. Here's to not running -mostly. See you soon.
Shankari said…
Got here earlier this time- yes, I sure AM listening now- however morbid this seems.

Glad this one here offends as many people as it offended you and me!
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
It was a slip up *sheepish grin*. "Guy" now stands corrected to "person".

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...good for you. Let the "offended" stand together and be heard...before it is too late, that is.

Ciao chica...have a great week and thank you for listening. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...you stand "corrected." And I love the "sheepish grin."

Ciao...
Callisto said…
I too like to shop locally as I can walk to the shops with the stroller (supporting local business whilst getting exercise).
I would be annoyed and freaked out to find caskets in a "supermarket". But personally I am not surprised, they start stocking Easter eggs the week after Christmas don't they! I guess Costco could not resist stocking the item they know EVERYBODY will need some day...ca ching.
B.S. said…
Hah! You just solved my dilemna. I had been trying to decide whether to renew my Sam's Club membership or switch to Costco. Since Sam's hasn't yet caught on to the casket craze, I'll renew.

But you know what? I still feel lousy every time I go there. Stores like that are always located smack in the middle of the worst traffic nightmares. Besides, I hate feeling like an "uber consumer". (Hey, there's a catchy phrase!) I keep remembering one time about a year agao when I set out for Sam's. Usually I don't feel sick until I actually set foot in the store, but this particular time the nausea hit en route. It was so bad that I had to turn around and go home. I know you can understand that!

Hugs,
Betty
Reach said…
Caskets? They don't even fit in the shopping cart. What were they thinking? Not to be morbid, should those not be displayed in the nursery?

Honestly, the couple who crossed paths with you remain on my mind. That is sad.

And, cheating in the kitchen is just.....wrong. I make 7 bean dip or bruschette from scratch, and people recognize it.

Good post, Thank you Teri.

Reach
Kacey said…
Oh Chica, you take the cake! Some of your posts are great examples of sideways thinking. Caskets might bother you youngins', but for "golden oldies" it might just be like picking out a new mattress. I can just picture the little old lady trying to decide between the pale pink satin with rosebuds or the "go with everything beige". The trouble with funerals is that the person of honor never gets to express their taste in decor. Funeral homes depend on the fact that the newly bereaved family members will go whole hog and pick the silver casket with the pure silk lining out of guilt for never having visited dad and mom this year. That old couple didn't mind Costco having caskets --- it's sort of like a busman's holiday. (I'd be willing to bet that a poll among oldies would show that they think about death almost daily.)
Now that I have cheered you up --- check out the prices for multi rolls of paper towels and and toilet tissue at your local grpcery. They are all starting to carry the big lots to compete with "big box" stores --- and you don't need a membership card!
I read about this a while back and found it interesting. the proof is in the pudding: if no one buys they will disappear. Have you written a letter to Costco? I know that sometimes it seems futile, but I have written to Target and several of my friends and I are boycotting them because of their pharmacy policies (Plan B). If you wrote to them and provided a link here for anyone who feels the same way, isn't that a powerful form of protest?

I live in a very small comunity where buyinf locally can have a huge impact. I try, but economics and basic supply still have me travelling an hour to Costco and megastores on [well planned] occasions.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callisto...ca-ching indeed. Anything for the buck. Hopefully the buck stops here. I would love to live in an area where I could walk, not drive, to do the shopping. Just the exercise sounds great. One day, I borrowed a friends pedometer when I went to Costco. It was a quick trip and I still walked over two miles! So, I guess there is something to be said for that - except the scenery wasn't much.

Ciao bella...and thanks for stopping by. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...hmmmm? Uber consumer. It does have an interesting ring...maybe like Callisto's ca-ching.

I have some friends who belongs to Sam's, and they get some items for me that Costco doesn't have, and I do the same for them at Costco. I'll not tell them about the caskets...you never know, and I don't want to tempt fate.

I completely understand the mega-store sickness...I'm a dash claustrophobic, and I always think what on earth (literally) would happen if there were an earthquake. Actually, my least favorite is Toys R Us...with the goods stacked to the rafters.

Anyway, enjoy Sam's...they have a great big bottle of Disarronno, which I do like on occasion, with a little club soda and a twist of lemon.

Ciao chica...hope all is well in your world. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Of course you wouldn't cheat Reach. And such a kind heart to worry about the old couple. But, if we take Kacey's advice, they weren't sad at all. I hope not, but it still doesn't change the way I feel about those coffins. As I said...my Famous Amos were really put to shame.

Hope you are doing well...I do keep a look out for a flying jeep. If I ever see one, I shall know who the pilot is...

Ciao for now...and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...Sideways thinking is okay by me...just as long as it's not horizontal, on my back, and holding a bunch of daisys "thinking," in a "pale pink satin with rosebuds or the "go with everything beige" box! Like Angel...it's the ashes to ashes route for me. Also, once I "bite the dust" I'm Catalina Island bound, as it's "just 26-miles across the sea." Now there...not nearly as morbid as caskets in Costco.

And no...you take the cake chica. Really, I mean it. Take that darn cake away from me!!

Ciao bella...have a great week in your "winter" wonderland.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...

Yes, the "proof is in the pudding." I also find that too many cooks...you know the rest. In this case, I think too many cooks "cooked" up an awful dish from a terrible recipe. Hopefully, as you say, it will fail to meet the (I hope) discriminating tastes of our local consumers. Our Costco is a a test store for this item, but these little goodies are also offered (in detail) on the Costco Website.

Enjoy your well-thought out and planned trips to the mega stores. I still shop in mega stores...and will continue to do so. In moderation. I just wanted to be heard on this issue and find out "Is it just me?" Thank goodness it is not.

Ciao bella...enjoy the week.
Leann said…
I personally am HoRRIFIED that Costco would stoop to selling caskets in it's store.

That type of decision is suppose to be personal and shared with those you love, not the masses that inhabit warehouse stores!

Appaling.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...no secret how I feel. I agree. Appalling.

Here's to sharing this very personal matter with those you love...privately.

Ciao for now chica...have a great week.
Chris said…
Fially, I'm able to comment. A pox upon Blogger's meddlesome wonkiness!

Does Costco have a display model of said casket available? Because if so, I will (in your honor) go to my local Costco and up the ante of crass consumerism by climbing in to "make sure it fits". Hell, I'd try on one of those wretched jackets before I bought it, I'm certainly not going to buy a whole casket without trying it on.

My point being, maybe they don't realize how horribly offensive they're being. Sometimes the right visual can really bring home a point, is all I'm saying.

;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...your comment is so timely, even if you think you're a little late.

My husband usually does the water run to Costco, for his office and the home. His knee is not doing so well, thanks to an overzealous physical therapist. So...after writing this article, and sharing my thoughts about mega stores, and how I hate going to them anytime, especially with crowds, I was forced to go today. Sunday. Yes, I was there among all of the "family" outings. "On my way out," after "checking out," I passed by the display and looked over at the brochures. It was then that I saw order forms that I missed the first time round. I thought I might get one and take a photo and add it to my post. Before I could make a move, a couple behind me gasped. The woman turned to her husband...then looked at me...and with pain and shock, she pointed to a pink sample coffin, with a rose on the corner, and said "that's my mother's casket. I don't believe it!

I didn't hang around, I left as she went up to touch the display.

Need I say more? Except, no Chris. I have yet to see a full scale casket in Costco, but at this rate who knows?

Glad you could finally post, and thanks for the nice email the other day.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...you raise so many compelling points...and yes, I have to admit the site of the caddy with the casket atop made me laugh - until I realized that this could very well happen at some point in the future. To make my point, I use the "casket in the basket" phrase. For now it appears that these coffins are an "order" item only...with the display samples in select stores.

I admire your determination and willpower. I don't often visit these stores you mention (once a year or less typically)...but if I have to go (or think I do), then I go. I don't do WalMart any time...so now I feel as if I have a very good reason. I will have to rethink my Sam's/Costco barter situation with my friends.

Ciao for now Blue Heron...have a great week and thanks for stopping by.
Anonymous said…
I've been chewing on this one since Friday. I flabbergasted about the caskets for sale in Costco... but more than that, my mind kept returning to the same rant that I emphatically did NOT want to put in your comments! So I've been trying to pare down my thoughts to the subject at hand. And I've not been very successful. The idea of caskets in any setting - nonbiodegradeable, airtight boxes to bury a shell of a human in -

I promised myself I wouldn't rant, so I'll leave it with this: As always, Teri, your article is so eloquent. I'm looking forward to this week's article. :)

Oh, and I thought of you today. I was making a couple cakes for co-workers of my mother. One has that orange frosting on it, and it was SOOO good! I almost had to smack myself to keep from licking the spoon!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...perhaps this is another reason I felt compelled to write this article. I am a bit claustrophobic...and the thought of...well, you know where I'm going with this.

I am going to make cake this weekend. Yeah! And shame on you...what good is making a homemade cake with orange frosting if you don't lick the spoon?

Ciao for now chica...glad you finally posted a comment. I wondered where you were, and now I know.
DeAnn said…
I had no idea Costco was in the funeral business. That creeps me out more than a little.

Also, I love that you illustrate your posts. I don't think I've told you that before.
Anonymous said…
Oh, Teri, the frosting won out... I had some leftover after I got the cake decorated. And I ate some! Let me know how yours turns out.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Deann...thanks for the kind words...and yes, it creeps me out too. :)

Ciao for now chica...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...Good for you! I decided to let Angel do the honors. I will let you know...

Ciao chica...
Iris said…
I found your blog very interesting and humerous. Because you have a sense of humor, may I suggest you read www.pushthewheel.com. Go to the archives. I wrote a very embarrasing and humerous true story of what happened to me at Costco. Please let me know if you thought it hystericle.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred