Do these pants make me look fat?

If we have to ask, then we already know the answer. Why then do we ask the question? For false reassurance? For the truth? Either way it’s a lose-lose situation. It's not even a real question. We only ask this faux question if we think the pants make us look fat. Therefore, it doesn’t matter what anyone else has to say. Yes or no, only our opinion counts. Those who are drawn into this sticky web are doomed, whether they tell a little white lie or the truth. A lie is a lie, white or not. Once we know someone has lied to us — and believe me, we do know — we start to wonder what else rings false. The truth can be just as dangerous. It often leads to hurt feelings, frustration, and sadly, “lights out” in the bedroom. Sure, the truth may lead to a few sessions on the treadmill, but the truth also hurts. It will continue to sting long after the offended bootie has been chiseled and toned. Gone...but definitely not forgotten.

You can relax — obsession with our bodies and staying fit is not my focus. It’s the obsession we have with our weaknesses that intrigues me. It’s like pointing out a blemish or a cold sore that we’ve just spent 20 minutes trying to conceal. Maybe, with all our artistic effort, it will slide by unnoticed. Not if we point it out — and that’s generally what we do. We focus on our flaws. We pick at them, let them fester, then we try a little camouflage. Finally, after all that, we point them out anyway. So why bother with the cover-up?

Negativity comes to mind...and the fact that we are the harshest critics to our own selves. We can just as easily point out our strengths, but we usually don’t. We can say “do these pants do justice to my firm muscular thighs that I’ve spent hours toning at the gym?” Okay, so I exaggerate to make a point. But we can balance things out a bit and direct the focus to something that makes us feel good about ourselves, instead of something that we dislike, or something that makes us feel self-conscious. We don’t always have to make that play and point out our flaws. Besides, so what if “baby's got back” — there are some people who like an ample bootie. Did I hear someone say J. Lo?

It's true that we may view our individual flaws and weaknesses through a microscope, but others may not give them a first thought, much less a second glance. This isn’t just a girl thing. I recently complimented a friend on his new mustache. He immediately told me that his hairstylist trimmed it incorrectly and that it wasn’t straight. Next thing you know, I’m staring at his mustache as if it’s going to explode. Another recent encounter involved an older gentleman whom I met for the first time a few months back. I mentioned our first meeting and told him that I remembered his great hat. Big mistake. Immediately his hand flew to his hair (smoothing, patting, primping) and he says “Why do you say that? Is my hair a mess?” Truthfully, his hair was rather windblown, but I hadn’t noticed — until he pointed it out. I was much more interested in his gentle green eyes and friendly smile. Now I’m stuck with the vision of the hair... and the knowledge of his insecurity.

I've got a new plan. I’ve decided to stop playing the pick and fester game. I'm going to put a more positive spin on my thoughts, words and actions. I resolve to stop pointing out my flaws — physically, emotionally and professionally. I resolve to take a compliment when given — no ifs, ands or BUTTS — just thank you very much. I also resolve to play to my strengths, while quietly (and privately) working on my weaknesses. If I am more positive, it will improve my outlook, and thus, the outlook of those around me. Do I think that I'm a negative person? No, but one can always be more positive. I recognize that I am a work in progress. It’s the nitty (really gritty) details of my progress report I intend to keep to myself.

I challenge you to do the same. The next time we start to ask some poor, unsuspecting soul if our pants make us look fat, let’s not. Let’s focus on our positive assets, which may include an engaging smile, beautiful eyes or a loving spirit. The next time we start to point out our flaws, let’s not. Let’s give a little credit to other people — let them look upon us objectively. If beauty is indeed in the eyes of the beholder, then let them behold us from their point of view, not ours. After all, they won’t be nearly as critical as we are. That's a good thing, because I’m having one heck of a bad hair day. Thank goodness I look great in hats. At least I think I do. Oh well, I didn’t say it was going to be easy.

Postscript:

Some parting advice...

Chicas: If you think a pair of pants makes you look fat, then take them off immediately (if possible) and put something else on that makes you feel better about yourself. If you wear a pair of “I think these make me look fat so it doesn’t matter what anyone else says anyway" pants, you’ll feel self-conscious, then you'll get cranky. Eventually you may even start a senseless argument with your significant other about some issue that you don’t care about anyway. Trust me on this, I know...and so does my significant other.

Guys: If you're ever asked this faux question, feign sleep or run. Whatever you do, don't tell the truth, but don't lie either.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Angel said…
That's funny!

The DIN article I did about Cali, which you haven't seen yet, has the -- "Do these jeans make my butt . etc" in it.

Now I must send it to you with the pics.

Awww, funny.
Anonymous said…
This was a good one, Teri.

I make it a habit to answer the Question honestly, but with a great deal of tact. Because you're right, the asker always has their own answer in mind. I've been shopping with a friend who would always ask that Question, and I usually answer with something along these lines (and always with honesty): "The shorts you're wearing emphasize your rear. The ones you just tried on flatter your legs." Or I'll tell her that the cut is great for her, that a different color could change the look to her eyes. It takes a great deal of creativity to distract another person from their insecurities. It can be done, though.

It's harder, though, to resist pointing out our own flaws. In a weird way, we're trying to protect ourselves from the very hurt we end up inflicting on ourselves. Is it any easier to take it from ourselves that from someone else? If someone else notices what we're self-conscious about, they usually don't say anything.

Besides, Teri, you're a gorgeous, classy, intuitive, and strong woman... I can't imagine any flaws that you could possibly have. ;)
Chris said…
As a man who likes generous curves AND an ample bottom on a woman, when I'm asked that question, I can honestly answer, "Those pants make you look sexy".

I then make the point that to truly guage the pants' contribution to her overall appearance, I'd need to get a look with the pants off. Of course, then the shirt throws off my perspective, so that usually needs to go, and you know, the bra and panties are a little distracting, so let's have them off too.

Then I'm jealous that she's the only one naked, so I join her, and the next thing you know, I'm doing a pretty good job of showing her just how much I appreciate her body. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel...can't wait! Please send over the DIN article, pictures and all.

Ciao chica...have a great week. No Blah Humbugs!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...Where were you with this advise when I needed it? I used to go shopping with my friends and it drove me crazy. SO I quit going with them a few years back. Now, I know how to say things other than "Yes, your butt looks fat in those pants." :)

Ciao chica...have a great week and thank you for the compliment! However, I do have my flaws and weaknesses just like everyine else - but now I can't talk about it anymore.
Sideways Chica said…
Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris...(can you see me shaking my head?)

It is only 7:15 a.m. here and I have a pretty good idea what you'll be doing this weekend. Did I hear anyone say babysitter? :)

Ciao LLB...thanks for the bit of erotica, I think. I would tell you to enjoy your weekend, but I'm already quite sure that you intend to.
Chris said…
Heh. Was I working a little too blue for this early in the morning? ;)

Sadly, such activity is not likely this weekend. My lovely wife has a bit of a head cold.

But that doesn't mean I can't ogle. ;)
Kacey said…
Obviously, this is a question asked by a sweet young thing. A better one should be, "Does my fat make me look bigger or fluffier?" By the time you are ancient, your big butt has taken a southern plunge and you now have fat dimples behind your knees. I agree with you that these questions are not meant for friends --- only a relection of our mental anguish in seeing a manatee in our boudoir mirror.(And wearing your best jeans!) A good rule would be --- Never ask a question, if the possible answer will hurt you or tick you off!
Reach said…
Teri,
In the past, when asked this question, I have brought up the positive attributes while hoping to redirect the conversation topic. As a guy, it has proven successful on many occasions, plus, I do not like to be in the "hot" seat.

As I read your article, today; I am reminded of Polonius when he said, "This above all: to thine own self be true,/And it must follow, as the night the day,/Thou cans't not be false to any man"- Hamlet (ll.78-80).

Additionally, a wise friend once told me, "If closely examining the Mona Lisa, a truly beautiful piece of Art, one will find flaws; however, by standing back for the full picture view, one will see the beauty- that is."

Reach
Anonymous said…
There ya go, Teri! Flaws and weakness like everybody else, who need to forget that THEY have flaws and weaknesses (me? I'm perfect... just ask my mirror. ha!). You're gorgeous, classy, funny, sexy, intuitive, and a number of other wonderfully positive things... and you can't contradict me, because to do so would be to point out the flaws that you're imagining, thereby breaking the resolutions you made not 24 hours ago. Let us just enjoy how beautiful you are. It's what keeps us coming back.

;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...oogle away! You might want to get a little sudafed also. Just in case. ;)

Ciao...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...dimples are cute, or so I've heard! I love your "take" chica.

Here's to your good rule...think it through before we ask the question.

Ciao for now...have a great week my wise friend.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...I think Shakespeare might have got it a bit wrong. See my revision below...

-----
This above all: to thine own self be true,/And it must follow, as the night the day,/Thou cans't not be false to any woman - and thou cans't tell her the truth in certain situations either!"- Terihamlet :) (ll.78-80).
----

Oh well, I shouldn't really criticize the Bard - after all, he did have all the men playing the women's roles didn't he? Think Juliet ever asked Romeo if her butt looked fat? To "see" or not to "see," all of the bootie, that is.

Love the comment and insight as always Reach. Ciao buddy, and enjoy the week,
Sideways Chica said…
Okay dear Raynwomaan...no comment. My lips are sealed, even the one with the big fat cold sore. Oops! I really just meant to say "Thank you very much!" This is going to be tougher than I thought!

Ciao bella...
Reach said…
Teri,
I do hope you had a "chuckle" over my comment- as I am certain you did.
LOL
Have a good weekend
Reach
PS this sunday is the "surf" lesson day for the Canadians at Newport, by the pier.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...yes, you definitely got the reaction from me that you wanted. That's why I hit the ball back into your court. Pretty good backhand, if I do say so myself. ;)

If I'm out near the pier Sunday, I'll keep an eye out for the Canadians, a shark and a flying jeep. Sounds good, eh?

Ciao.
Leann said…
I enjoyed that post Teri. You are so right. I've many a time vowed to take compliments in stride and simply say thank you. I am still a work in progress. My first reaction is to say, oh thanks, but's it just......... you get the idea :-) Thanks for the reminder to accept and appreciate.
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhh. Dear LeAnn...you get my point. The real point. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Ciao my fellow work in progress...have a great week.
Callisto said…
I spent ages doing my hair for a lunch date last week. When I got there, all 3 of my friends were extremely complimentary and for ONCE I managed to keep my response to a simple "Thank you", instead of the usual "Shame about the rest of the time" or similar.

Thanks Teri.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callisto...good for you, that's what I'm talking about!

Ciao chica...have a great week!
Kelly said…
Having worked in the industry for several years that involved the most beautiful of women and men and also the MOST FRAGILE of egos in the universe~~I have learned to just smile and say "ahhhhhh my love,you of all people shouldn't have to ask"~~~ that said~~ I've seen some mighty big rear ends fit into some mighty small jeans;)~~ BUTT (pun intended) as they looked once more in the mirror~~they did so with a smile.

Isn't smiling what life is all about???? ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kelly...you bet. Here's to smiling, it's much easier and a lot more fun than the alternative. Also, thanks for the new answer. I can't wait to try it out next time someone asks me one of these sticky faux questions.

Ciao bella...have a great week!

:)
Debbie said…
Miss Teri,
I wanted to say two things, I was thrilled when that stupid song about "I like big butts", I believe it was "Baby Got Back", and then with my flaws, I am just softer and rounder then some. Have a great week.
Hi Teresa,
I think having a nice ass is great. I love a man with a nice ass ;-) At least it gives you something to grab, eh? By the way, I'm now blogging at a new address here http://www.soulkadee.com
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...good for you! Here's to being thrilled with our assets.

Ciao for now...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya Shah...As I said in my article, some like an ample bootie. And yes, there is something to be said for big assets...handles and all.

Here's to "each his (or her) own" preferences in the asset department.

Ciao for now...enjoy the week.

P.S. Please call me "Teri" :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...there you go! That's exactly what I'm talking about. Pretty is as pretty does. It sounds as if the estrogen fest gang has it all under control...zits and all!

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Doug Bagley said…
Great food for thought as they say. I'm glad I stopped by and read your post. Thanks, and you're right about the "do these make my butt look fat?" question. Man, I hat those kind of questions, LOL.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...it's kind of like a wife asking her husband which of her friends he might hook up with if she weren't in the picture. :)

Ciao for now...have a great week.
Oh yes...people need to learn to not only accept compliments, but they need to learn to be able to accept who they are and what makes them who they are...good or bad.

I was at a bar a few months back, while using the restroom I hear two chicas at the sink, one telling the other, "Look at my rat's nest, I'm having the worst hair day ever."
As I flushed the toilet and exited the stall, I couldn't help but laugh...very loudly...(as was my girlfriend in another stall).
Of course, the chicas turned around to give their best dirty looks at the girls that just laughed out loud at them.
But as I headed in their direction for the sink, I said, "Hey Karry, cancer sucks, I'm like having the worst NO HAIR DAY EVER!"
Needless to say, the looks on their faces were priceless.
Of course, after they "Oh my god'd" and "We're so sorry'd"...I apologized for joking at their expense and explained that I just really wanted to shock them into being thankful for what they had.
That very same night...while my friend and I talked with the two bald guys next to us at the bar, another two blonde-bronze-bimbette chicas walked up to us..."visibly rescuing them from talking to the only bald chick in the bar"...after a few minutes, I introduced myself, pointed to my bald head and said, "A word to the wise, take it from me...stay away from the Wolf Tanning Beds."
The looks on their faces went beyond topping the gals in the restroom...sadly, they walked away very disturbed, as I'm sure they'd been to a tanning bed earlier that very day. I don't think the thought of caner ever entered their minds. But it was damn funny any way.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Boobless Brigade Master...welcome and thanks for stopping by and participating. Your attitude is wonderful...would that you could bottle it and sell it...but maybe it's better that you give it away. Love the tanning bed riff.

I like your site and I truly admire your spirit. I post a new article each Friday. Hope you stop back by again.

Ciao for now...and have a great week.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred