Friends don't let friends...

Why do we do things that are bad for us...knowingly? It seems like only yesterday that my mother was covering my face with zinc oxide, telling me to stay out of the sun — that it was bad for my fair Irish skin. Did I follow her advice? Not always. My father smoked and suffered with emphysema. I witnessed the health risks firsthand — yet I took up smoking in my late twenties, and struggle with quitting every few years. I am a mature, intelligent woman. Yet I still smoke and occasionally go out in the sun unprotected.

But that’s me. I’m not looking for any lectures on the perils of smoking — I know all of them. In fact, I knew then what I know now. Will I quit again soon? Yes. Will it last? I don’t know. I’m also fully aware of the effects of sun damage. Would have, could have, and should have comes to mind. I say these words every year as I go to the dermatologist for a skin check-up. But this article is not all about me. So please, don’t send me any helpful hints on beating my smoking habit. I know what I have to do and when; my next annual physical is coming up way too soon for my comfort zone.

I bring this subject up because a good friend is concerned about her upcoming stress test. She is convinced she’ll need to have some type of heart surgery. She had one scare about 10 years ago, and another six years ago. She vowed to make some lifestyle changes both times — after she got a reasonably clean bill of health from her doctor, and a not so reasonable bill from the hospital. Did she change her ways? No. She doesn’t even go in for an annual physical. The caveat is that once her symptoms could no longer be ignored, she visited her cardiologist for the first time in six years. He wanted her to get in for the test on the next available basis, which means as soon as possible. She put the test off for two weeks. Why? Because her schedule is packed with serious matters, and more importantly, she's afraid of bad news and wants time to process.

I’m afraid for this friend also — and frustrated that it’s played out this way. Nevertheless, I will be there for her, without chastising or lecturing. Why? One reason is that I care for her well-being. Another is that I detest hypocrisy and am reminded of the old phrase “the pot calling the kettle black.” The most important reason that I will lend support to this friend is that I am her friend. It seems that many of our friends have distanced themselves from her recently. They're upset that she has let this situation go on for so long with no check-ups or significant lifestyle changes that may have prevented these current health issues. In other words, they think she brought this upon herself. Me? I recognize the situation. It could be my own, or more pointedly, any of our friends. The most vocal has been one friend who drinks (alcohol) on a regular basis and takes medication daily for a thyroid condition. Not only does the medication carry a warning against drinking, her doctor has advised her to stop. Another is a friend who smokes a cigar a day and says that it's much better than smoking cigarettes. I tell him an apple a day keeps the doctor away — not his expensive faux Cuban oral fixations.

My point is that each of us has our own set of weaknesses and vulnerabilities. In time they do catch up with us. We all live in glass houses; some are just made of glass that is more resilient. Over time though, resiliency wears off. The right stone could wreak havoc. I don’t advocate burying our heads in the sand or not speaking up and weighing in when we see friends heading toward a dangerous path. I take the keys when a friend has too much to drink and I cautiously offer advice when I feel it is both needed and justified. However, I try not to judge others, especially my friends — and I don’t want my friends judging me.

Friends are supposed to be friends. Would this friend be there for me, or any of our other friends, if the roles were reversed? Yes. She has been there for each of us on more than one occasion. She knows the true meaning of friendship. She knows that a friend is a person whom one knows, likes, and trusts — a person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade. She is a true-blue, loyal friend who will “go to the mattress” for you. Shouldn’t we do the same for her? Shouldn’t we be true-blue? This doesn’t mean we turn the proverbial blind eye — it simply means we are there for each other; in sickness and in health, through good times and bad. How appropriate — and rich in irony. These days, many friendships outlast marriages. When a marriage goes south, where does one turn for help? To our friends, of course. Our true-blue friends.

As the day approaches for my friend’s stress test, I check in with her often. I try to make her laugh and not worry. I tell our mutual friends to put down their stones...and that their pots and kettles were both black the last time I looked. I remind them of the many times this friend has been there for them. She didn’t lecture, chastise, or judge. I remind them that she left the gun, and took the cannoli, as a true-blue loyal friend would do. Sorry, I couldn’t resist another “Godfather” reference.

So, let’s hear it for true-blue friends. If you have a handful of close friends, it’s said that you’re lucky. I say you're blessed if you have one true-blue friend. I’m blessed and I’ll pass it on. I will take my friend for her stress test next Friday. I will be there for her, good news or bad. After all, friends don’t let friends drive alone — at least not on dangerous roads.

Hmmm? I can't decide what to do now. I'm thinking about sitting outside on my deck for a bit, but then I’ll want a cigarette. If I have one cigarette, I’ll want another. Besides, it’s hot and sunny today, and I’m out of sunscreen. Maybe I’ll get in my car (where I don’t smoke), and go check out that new self-tanning lotion that supposedly doesn’t make you look like orange Naugahyde. If I do that, I’ll probably spill some on the bathroom carpet while applying it, then I’ll get stressed out and have a cigarette. Since I don’t smoke inside my house, I’ll probably end up out on the deck and in the sun anyway. I know, I know...excuses, excuses, excuses. Maybe I’ll just stay home and make soup — in my nice big black kettle, in my nice big (fragile, handle with care) glass house.

Dedicated to my true-blue friend. Give me your keys — I’ll take the cannoli too.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Debbie said…
you can always find out who is in a friendship for the long haul, buy turning to them in a crisis. I just had this converstion with the husband of a friend. He was not happy with one of her friends who seems to want something everytime she called or came around. This friendship has cost alot to maintain. And brings unneeded stress to the marriage. as for how I keep true friends is that I have no expectations as far as what can this person do for me, I think of how this person betters my life. And if they make life unpleasent BYE BYE SISTER.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...sounds like you know the drill. I call those unneeded, not at all true-blue friends, foul weather friends...as in really foul. When things are great you don't hear much, but when things turn to hell in a hand basket, well then, that's another story...and another article for another day.

Thanks for the great comment.

Ciao for now...have a great week.
Anonymous said…
I'm having a hard time adhering to the "Be a friend and shut up" code of conduct. Because I'm starting to realize that I have a very hard time silently watching a friend do something that I know will hurt her in the long run. I feel compelled to say something!

Your posts are always so amazingly timely, Teri.

Just today I was having a discussion with a friend about an argument I had with a mutual friend. This mutual friend is casually dating a guy that she knows there is no future with. Yet she remains with him because she's desperate for companionship. Since I'm the closest to her I end up sharing my opinions (at her request). She, of course, didn't appreciate what I had to say but I figured she needed to hear it since I had her best interests at heart.

Now I'm exploring the "Just listen and keep your mouth shut" method of friendology. But this thinking is totally alien to me so give me some time to let it sink in. ;)
Kacey said…
We must figure the nature of the beast into the "friendship" equation. We usually come scraming into the world as perfectly heathy little beings and start the trek downhill shortly there after. It's all a matter of choices and we all reserve the right to make spectcularly stupid choices. If a person wants to trade off ten years of no fat, no salt, low carb, no eat diet for three years of riotous living. By all means, ---go for it! But,--- don't whine after the riotous living has your liver sticking out someone abut to go into labor or your heartbeat sounds like a cha-cha gone wild. We all choose our poison and have to accept the end result.

Then, as friends, we need to think like the song "Friends" by Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant---

"And friends are friends forever,
When the Lord's the Lord of them,
And a friend will not say never,
Cause the welcome will not end,
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands, we know,
That a lifetime's not too long,
To live as Friends".
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...I think we discussed this before, on another post. Sometimes we can't just shut up...not when we're true-blue. Just because I don't chastise, or lecture, doesn't mean my friends don't know what I think...or that I don't tell them when they are trying to fool themselves...or me. This friend was upset that she was on the receiving end of a lecture from her doctor. I told her that she knew she deserved the lecture, and that was why she was so upset. She knew what I was saying...but I did it in a way that didn't directly criticize her - I was just pointing out the facts.

You are very direct, as I am. Sometimes it is hard to find the middle ground. You may never be able to find that middle ground, and you will have friends that understand...they will know that it is a part of who you are, and respect you for it. They may not like all that you have to say...and they may tell you. But then that's just them being direct also. If we dish it out and serve it chica, we must be able to eat it ourselves as well.

Here's to being a good friend...good in a way that we each can "swallow."

Ciao chica...have a great week, and thanks for always participating.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...wonderful comment, as usual. What can I say? How about you said it sister!

Here's to our individual poisons. May we give them up soon, or at the very least, not complain when they give us up.

I love the song you quote...I just recently heard it while helping a friend pack up her house. I smiled when I saw the lyrics in your comment. Same wavelength again chica.

Ciao friend...have a great week.
BabyGirl said…
In being a friend, I've found, the line drawn of when to keep your mouth shut is much like the 'rule of thumb' for children to use learning when it's ok to tattle...If the person is in immediate danger of life and limb (say playing on the railroad tracks)then tattle if not....just hush.Most people are intellingent enough to already know the consequences of what they're doing and don't need a 'friend' to remind them...only be there when it 'comes home to smack them in the rear'

Great Post Ms. Teri....and just in the nick of time!!~~~ I was putting you up there with the 'Angels who can do no wrong' (great mother, pretty, witty,intellingent...yada,yada,yada) and NOW!! you smoke!!....and sunbathe????~~~acccccccccck. ;)
Angel said…
Hi!

We have recently discussed the friend -- faux friend issue so I won't drudge it all up again.....

Life is all about give and take and hopefully it all balances out in the end.

We just need to keep in mind when we're giving-- to do so with the mind that expects nothing in return.

Hope all works out well for your friend.

Enjoy your weekend!
Chris said…
My god, Teri. Are you my long-lost sister? Every time I read one of your posts, it further cements the ways we are of a kind.

I have a vice or two of my own that I know aren't good for me, but I'm likely not going to stop any time soon. I also make certain mistakes repeatedly, seemingly incapable of learning from them.

In light of that, I try not to judge my friends too harshly, and will make every effort to be there for them when they need me. There are times when I'll say to my wife, or one of my other friends, "Man, so-snd-so is being a total IDIOT!" But then I remember all my own idiot moments, and try harder to be more understanding.

Another great post. I hope all goes well with your friend. Let us know.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Babygirl...I love your comment for may reasons, however, the last part, about intelligence and smoking - well, that just put me away this morning. Thanks, I needed that. I'm still laughing.

I am a work in progress. Some days I embrace my weaknesses and other days my strengths. No denial here. No perfection either. Thank goodness!

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel...well said.

Here's to giving - with a mind that expects nothing in return.

Ciao chica...enjoy the weekend not procrastinating any longer. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear long lost brother, I mean Chris...love the comment. Yes, behind closed doors I grouse a bit now and then. But, like you, I try not to judge others. Doesn't mean I don't have a few opinions...and might express them once in a while. Family and friends only need to read between the lines to find my true, thinly veiled, point of view. :)

Ciao for now...and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Izzy...what an absolutely wonderful comment. Reading about your friends and what you have all been through warmed my heart; especially the delivery room scene.

Here's to true friendships... times nine for Izzy! Have a great week chica.

Ciao.
Anonymous said…
Troubling times are often a ruler for the strength of a friendship. It makes me keenly aware of how important it is to be the kind of friend that I need. I don't always succeed, but I do try to treat people the way I'd want to be treated, often causing me to keep my mouth shut and surrender "the upper hand". Sometimes, I think I'm too aware of my own glass house.

It's eerie how appropriate this week's article is, Teri. Really eerie.

Thanks.

Have a great weekend, and Happy Easter to all who celebrate.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...we can't always succeed, can we? But we can try. You bring up an excellent point...sometimes we do have to step outside our glass houses to weigh in when warranted. Otherwise, we just might bite off our own tongue. Ouch!

Here's to eerie...I like saying it. And I ditto Raynwomaan's Happy Easter to all who celebrate...or should I say "Merry Easter," or "Happy Holidays,"...oops, looks like I stepped out of my glass house for a bit. Better get back inside, quickly.

Ciao...enjoy...enjoy, whatever you do!
Reach said…
Teri,
I do not understand how some people can turn a friendship on and off like a light switch. Friendship is about exceptance of another person, good or bad. A true friend would speak up, if the friendship is based on Respect, both parties will be agreeable to the conversation-with respect.
As for the stress test, does this friend practice any form of calming techniques, like meditation? This can be beneficial in many ways.
I need a "quit smoking pack" partner(s), would there be other regular readers interested? Just a thought.

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...I agree with you about friendships and acceptance, and respect.

Thanks for the calming advice for my friend. I will pass it on. As for the "quit smoking pact," can't count on me. I need to do it alone this time. Good luck to you though...I know it's tough. But when the going get's tough...the tough get going. I think you're a pretty tough guy, given all you've been through.

Here's to friendships without an on and off switch.

Ciao Reach...now I'm going to think of you every time I "reach" for my poison. Perhaps then, I'll have a bit more determination.
Reach said…
LOL, have a good weekend- and stay out of the rain.

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Back at you, Reach.
Leann said…
You're right. A friend is a friend no matter what. It goes back to the "you can choose your friends but not your family". If you can't stand by them, and they you, then where would we be??

I personally draw the line at a friend who whines and whines about the same thing but does not take the steps necessary to fix the problem. Doesn't mean I'm not their friend, just that I limit my time with them.

Perhaps I need to learn a bit of tolerance??
Shankari said…
'take the cannoli too.'?- heheh


Heres to this kind wise and gentle friend of mine- Teri! :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...tolerance is a good thing when warranted. Looking within our own lives, and not calling the kettle of others black, when our own pot is indeed the same shade of black, is the key. No hypocrisy.

Good luck finding the balance Leann. It's not always easy. I would bet that you are a true-blue friend, once you have established a friendship.

Ciao chica...have a great week. Thanks for the great comment.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...finally someone let's me know that they get the cannoli reference. It would be you!

Kind and gentle are not usually adjectives I apply to myself...but it is how I think, so thank you for your "kind and gentle" words.

Ciao chica...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...your situation reminds me of the saying, "Burn me once, shame on me...." You know the rest. I have been burned much the same, but I guess I have the same 12-strike rule, as apparently you do. Loyal til the end...or at least until the money train derails. Hi def plasma anyone? I know you get my reference fellow tainted one. :)

Here's to our friends having our back...and vice versa.

Great comment. Thanks also for the kind words.

Ciao...and have a great week chica.

Postscript: We have a resident blue heron in our hood. Whenever I see this majestic creature, I am reminded of you.
fjl said…
You have a good point here. I think we devalue our own care for all sorts of reasons- we hope we'll be loved enough for someone to point out that we're worth the care. We kind of provoke it in a friend. Also we have a misplaced guilt about taking care of ourselves x Yet guys love to see abit of self care well done.
Mellissa said…
Teri,

Wonderful post - as always ;-)

Happy Easter!!

Mellissa
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...I agree. We should put more value on our own care. Well said, as usual.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Melissa...glad you made it by. Missed you. Thanks for the kind words, and Happy Easter to you.

Ciao for now...enjoy the week.
Kelly said…
What a coincidence! I've just come back from a short trip with 2 very extraordinary young boys and was catching up on some of the blogs I read. I had just posted a little about our trip and in doing so related a story they taught me about friendship.
What an accolade to you that by approaching the subjects that you choose to write about each week tends to draw out such thought provoking responses from everyone who reads it. You are a true blue friend to women in general. Well done!
Tai said…
Oh, I adore my friends, and they love me.

I'm a lucky girl, and so are each one of us that can find a kindred spirit to hold our hand when we need it most...generally that's exactly when we are at our weakest.

Cheers to you for knowing that, and cheers to your friend for giving the same to you.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kelly...thank you so much for recognizing and appreciating my approach. I truly try to write so that everyone gets a little something to sink their teeth into.

Glad you had a wonderful trip. I'll pop over and read about the "story" you mention.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tai...I love your comment. I can tell that you're a "go to the mattress" kind of friend. Good for you...and good for your friends.

Ciao chica...enjoy!
Hi Teri,

Late as usual I am. I mentioned you in a post on my blog. It sort of pertains to this although I had not read yours yet when I wrote it.

It is good not to judge and it is good to be honest. You are a good friend. And an insightful and terrific writer.

JM
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...there you are. It's good to hear from you. And better late than never.

Thank you for your support...and encouragement. It is appreciated.

Take care chica. Ciao for now, and have a great week.
Sarah Beth said…
I will be trying to quit again fairly soon as well. Are you familiar with Aaron Carr's "Quit Smiking the Easy Way"? It's a book that came highly recommended to me, and i think it will actually work. Good luck with it, keep us posted.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Sarah (Somebody Girl)- Ellen Degeneres praises this book and says it really helped her quit. I have been thinking about checking it out. You're comment makes me think I should, so I shall. Amazon here I come. Reach? Are you listening...it may help you also.

Thanks Sarah. :)

Ciao for now chica...
Bored Housewife said…
I love the way you write. It never fails to feel like I'm reading an article in a really good magazine, when I come here.

Very scary for your friend...I hope she decides it's time to change her ways now. Some of us are painfully slow learners, aren't we? :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...thank you. I love that you feel that way.

I think my friend just might change her ways this time. She knows that we are all worried about her health, and her state of mind. I think the helping hands worked...let her know that she wasn't alone, that she had friends who cared, and who would take the cannoli.

Yes, you are so right. Some of us (insert wry smile here) are very slow learners. Maybe we can play a little catch-up.

Ciao chica...thanks for stopping in, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear pervgirl...thank you for your kind words, and passing on my message. I'm glad you could relate.

Ciao for now...have a great week.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
Late this time but wanted to comment anyway.

So true about us doing something knowing its not good for us. Be it a habit like smoking, or even being addicted to a bad relationship....Sometimes we can't help ourselves.

Picking one's battles is key with a friend. Its ok to tell a friend if one thinks they may be harming themselves. But the friendship shouldn't be conditional on their following our advice. We can say our piece and let it rest, knowing the friend is an intelligent person who is aware of his/her choices.

Some people come on too strong like "I'm telling you not to do this, and you'll listen to me if you know what's good".

And that tone somehow strains the relationship....as though the friendship's conditional on us taking the advice. And if we mess up we can't go to these friends, because they'll have this knowing look on their faces and a ready "I told you so".

To me friendship is about sharing, and unconditional support, making room for human weaknesses. Doesn't need to be that two people are clones of each other - and such judgementalism makes want people to run elsewhere.

Anyways, long ramble there :). Basically its my way of saying hi! My vice - chocolate, especially when combined with coffee. Tiramisu, Cafe Mocha, some sort of rich chocolatey coffee cake....sigh! Right now I'll let that thought rest. Gotta control those vices, you know :)

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...so good to hear from you chica. How interesting that I have an article in the works about choosing your battles. :)

Also, what you say is so true...and mirrors my way of thinking. I'm glad you brought up the addiction to bad relationships. I have a friend who has this vice. As to your vices (chocolate, mochas), I have those as well...but I have learned to treat myself occasionally and not go overboard. Soon I hope I can kick the nicotine habit.

Ciao bella...thanks for sharing your take on this subject. Have a great week.
Anonymous said…
Hi Teri, just checking in. Sorry to be so slow and so late and so (insert bad behaviour here)!

I love your article and as usual it leaves me thinking.

Later,
~K!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kismet...how nice to hear from you! I shall not ask about the "bad behaviour," but I do hope you had fun.

Glad you enjoyed my musings...and don't think too hard!

Ciao chica...enjoy the week.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred