An “other” mother…

I remember the first day I met him. He was walking with his father and he was only three years old. He was dressed in blue shorts with a red-collared shirt. He was holding his blankie. He looked up at me and said, “Hi. Who are you?” As I answered him, his beautiful blue eyes and his long eyelashes held me spellbound. He was a compact little boy who would take several years to grow into his feet. He was always running, always laughing, and always with blankie in hand. After a few months, he and I were fast friends. He would get so excited to see me that he would throw his blankie — and believe me, that was a big deal. At bedtime, he would beg for just one more story. I can’t tell you how many times I read aloud his favorite, “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie,”* or one of the many Berenstain Bears books.

I remember when this little guy officially became my stepson. It was an honor. Times had changed since I was a child. None of my friends had step-parents. Skip forward twenty years. It seems that my stepson actually felt left out. He was just about the only kid in his class without a step-mom, and now he had one. To him, having three parents was normal. He deftly maneuvered the tricky trail of loving two moms: his real, biological mom, and then me, his “other” mother. I admired him for his big heart. There was plenty of room for everyone, and he never felt conflicted. He just loved. It was that simple. He made being a step-mom special and rewarding. Sure, we battled with each other at times. It was a part of the process...the parenting process.

I helped this free spirit learn how to tie his shoes and how to read. When it was appropriate, I let him drive a car for the first time (my new car). He was a tough one. He was both a rebel and a leader. Talk about marching to your own beat — he marched to his own band. It was challenging to deal with him on disciplinary issues, as we didn’t want to squelch his wonderful, independent spirit. Every year at back-to-school night, his teacher would say “Your son is a great boy. He’s very intelligent, very caring, but he’s very social.” The word social was not a positive. It meant too social. By the time he went to high school, my husband and I would finish the teacher’s sentence, with a “Yeah, we know — he’s social.”

I’ll never forget the time our little rebel couldn’t sleep, stopped eating and complained of an upset stomach for over a week. His mom took him to the doctor and everything checked out fine. This was odd. He was a tough kid. He never complained of discomfort, even when he had a dislocated shoulder. I took him to the beach one afternoon and discovered the cause of his mysterious ailment. He was only 10, but he was suffering from a broken heart. After the beach, we went to lunch and he told me the whole story. It seems that he had a girlfriend (his first). It lasted two weeks and then he broke up with her after he saw her holding hands with another boy. She told him that it was his fault because he didn’t spend enough time with her. He told her that he had Club Hockey after school and homework in the evening. I remember thinking that he just wasn’t ready to fess up to the parents (and the older brother) that he had a girlfriend. In fairness, his time was limited. In addition to sports, he had family obligations - two families worth. Two days after the breakup, the little girl talked him into getting back together. He said he forgave her because she cried. Plus, he liked her and considered her his friend. Here’s where the heart breaks, both his and mine. It seems the little girl only wanted to get back together so that she could officially break it off to save face. He was devastated. He thought she was his friend. He couldn’t understand how someone you cared about could be so cruel — so manipulative. He told me then that he would never ever let this happen again. I almost believed him.

Things became more complicated as this independent spirit collided with puberty. Keeping him challenged and interested in school was also our biggest challenge. Trouble found this kid in the strangest ways. Some of the stories I could tell sound too far-fetched to be true. The rabbit story is a good example — as in the high school mascot that he tackled and accidentally knocked unconscious. This happened at an assembly in front of the entire school, including all of the teachers and the principal. The unconscious rabbit was taken out of the gym on a stretcher and in full costume. I'll never forget the call from the school. The rabbit was undergoing a brain MRI and the rabbit attacker was suspended pending further investigation. Thank goodness that rabbit was okay. When the costume came off, and he could talk, the battered bunny verified that the tackle was prearranged...a part of a senior skit. It was supposed to be funny. I guess my reaction was delayed. But hey, it made a two page spread in the yearbook.

Throughout his high school years, my stepson never dated anyone seriously. Not because the opportunity wasn’t there — he was one of the most popular boys in school. The combination of his winning personality, natural sports ability and good looks had girls calling at all hours. Somehow, he managed to walk the “just friends” tightrope perfectly for four years. We have hundreds of photos of him at Prom, Homecoming, Winter Formal, and other events with beautiful young girls who were all just good friends. There was one he almost fell for...she was very intelligent and beautiful. It was short-lived. He later told me she wasn’t a very caring person, she didn’t have enough heart.

I will always cherish the time I spent with my stepson through the years. He and I traveled to New York for a week when he was 13, and spent a month, after his high school graduation, in France and Spain. His quest was to see every Picasso, Dali and Van Gogh on display — and to hear the music. Guitar was his current passion. We even went to the Paris grave-site of Jim Morrison. I had a different quest. I tried not to “mother” too much. My stepson handled the situation well, including all those pretty girls. There were so many, from all over the world, who wanted to get to know him better. We balanced our time together and we each had fun. We had a deal and we kept it. Whatever happened in Europe was to stay in Europe. This trip will remain with us both forever. Maybe someday we’ll share all of our experiences with the rest of the family. For now, “mums” the word.

It was hard watching the boy go off to college two years ago, but it was time. His first year away from home was rocky. He tried to juggle too many social commitments with classes and homework. No surprise here. My husband and I worked with him on balancing his time. We knew that all study and no play would not work, so we had to get him to understand his commitment to his future, and still allow time enough for fly-fishing or snowboarding. Sophomore year started auspiciously. Then, he met his first true love since that fifth grade heartache. He fell hard. It seemed as if she did too. A year went by and they were still together. He loved her caring heart and spoke of the butterflies he got whenever he saw her. I worried that he was getting serious — too fast and definitely too young. But he was happy and he kept his grades up, so I chalked it up to a college flame that would burn out during the summer. That flame burned brighter (and longer) than any of us expected.

Just before Spring Break, my husband and I were relieved to hear that he and his flame were also “taking a break” from each other. When I asked my stepson what prompted their breakup, he said that his classes were harder this semester and that he had a lot of homework. His girlfriend felt they were drifting apart. It was her suggestion that they cool it for a while, but not see anyone else. He agreed. My “other mother” antennas didn’t care for the plan. I wished it were a clean break with no dangerous loose ends, such as “not see anyone else.” I also worried that this was a bluff on her part to get more attention. But this wasn’t the fifth grade anymore, so I didn’t elaborate.

For a few months everything seemed to be fine. I felt bad for thinking the worst of this young girl — and stupid for worrying. Then one day I heard something in my stepson’s voice that made me ask how things were going with the “just friends” thing. He said it was getting tough, because she really wanted to get back together. He said that he really cared for her, but the break made him see that they weren’t meant to be together...forever. But then he also said he couldn’t stand to see her so sad. Whack! My antennas went crazy. This time I warned him at length. He listened, but I knew his heart. My own heart was heavy as I hung up the phone. Like father like son. He may have wanted to leave the fair early, but he would stay longer than he cared to rather than ruin the good time for someone else.

The call finally came when he should have been studying for finals. He couldn’t eat or sleep and he complained of a terrible stomachache. Sound familiar? Yes, it was fifth grade all over again. It seems that he gave in because she cried and he couldn’t stand to hurt anyone, ever. There was only one problem. It seems that the girlfriend only wanted to get back together with him so that she could officially break it off and get even. She was upset that he agreed with her “take a break” bluff, even though he didn’t know it was a bluff. But that’s not what made him sick. While they were supposedly “taking it slow” and “giving it another try,” she decided to make him jealous with another guy. My stepson’s voice was ten years older than the last time we had this conversation at the beach, but his words were pretty much the same. He thought she was his friend. He couldn’t understand how someone you cared about could be so cruel — so manipulative. He told me that he would never ever let this happen again. This time I was inclined to believe him.

We talked for over an hour. I tried not to get emotional, but I lost it when he asked me, “Why do I have to be this way? Why do I have to care so much? I would never do this to her, whether we were together or not.” Can you believe that he actually thought that something was wrong with him? As I smiled through my tears, I told him that he was perfect...that he has true heart, character and integrity. I told him that she’s the one who has a problem, and better that he should know sooner, rather than later. Before we hung up, I asked him if he remembered the mouse in, “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.” Intrigued, he asked why. I reminded him that many people are like that mouse, as in, “If you give a mouse a cookie, he’s going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he’ll probably ask for a straw. When he’s finished, he’ll ask for a napkin. Then he’ll want...” You get the point. So did my boy. After a long pause, he said, “I’m not the mouse am I?” I said, “No, you’re not the mouse. You’re the cookie, but you’re a tough cookie.” He rewarded me with a “sort of” laugh with a little snort at the end. It was music to my ears.

It looks as if he’ll be home in time for Mother’s Day and “Other Mother’s” Day. I can’t wait to give him a big hug. I’ll probably need to fatten him up a bit. I guess I could give him a cookie…and maybe a glass of milk. I might even throw in a straw, a napkin, and whatever else he wants. Why not? He’s all grown up now. He knows that some butterflies won’t live forever. He also knows that a broken heart hurts worse than a dislocated shoulder.

Postscript: Of course it’s all the girlfriend's fault. What did you expect? Isn’t there only one side to the story when it comes to our own? Besides, this is my “other” mother story and I’m sticking to it.

Dedicated to Mrs. Cox. Thank you for being my sounding board on this one. I owe you a mojito or two, or three, or four...

.*If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Laura Joffe Nemeroff, Illustrated by Felicia Bond

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Chris said…
Damn it, Teri. I'm crying. I'm crying at work and now everyone thinks I'm a spaz. Well, more of a spaz than usual.

That was beautiful. Your son sounds like a great guy. He also reminds me a bit of me in some ways. This line

"He may have wanted to leave the fair early, but he would stay longer than he cared to rather than ruin the good time for someone else."

could easily have been about me. I've suffered through more than one destructive relationship becuase I didn't want to be the one to end it and hurt her feelings, even though I ended up raked over the coals.

You've definitely got yourself a good guy there, and I know he's lucky to have you as one of his moms.

Damn it, I'm still all teary-eyed. This was my favorite post yet. Until next week, I'm sure.

Have a Happy Mother's Day, LLS. :)
Anonymous said…
This one made me cry, Teri.

And telling him he's the cookie... Well, honey, you're just as wonderful as he is.
Anonymous said…
p.s. I don't know why I keep forgetting that Mother's Day is coming up!

Happy Mother's Day to you!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...I wrote you long comment, and then poof, it was gone. I will try again.

Your response to this article has touched me deeply. I kept thinking I had written this essay to my satisfaction, and then I kept re-editing and re-editing. I wanted to be sure I captured the right sentiment to reflect both his and my feelings. I wanted to make it clear that he wasn't a pushover, just a sensitive guy when it comes to matters of the heart. Even last night, when I went to post this essay, after having left it for over 24 hours, I spent another three hours with another rewrite. Funny, the term that comes to mind is "labor," as in giving birth. Ironic, isn't it?

Also, As this only happened Sunday, I did not realize the timliness of this subject as to how it relates to Mother's Day, until I read it to my stepson (the first draft, on Monday afternoon. His reponse was amazing...long, long pause, then some private words I shall not share here but will forever keep in my heart.

By the way, I am not surpised that your sensitive soul responded this way. Your response has validated all my hard work...not just on this article, but for the last 17 years watching over and nurturing my boy.

I am sure I covered other things in my original comment, but for now I have said enough, or I shall start to cry...

Ciao LLB...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...somehow I knew you would like this one. Not so funny, not so clever, just straight from the heart.

Happy Mother's day to you as well.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Anonymous said…
Teri,

Straight from the heart always has a poignant resonance. I'm a stepdaughter, a step mother, a sympthetic, empathetic (nearly empathic) woman, nurturer, and mother - the relationship you describe struck me on so many levels that I'd probably need at least two posts length to adequately express it.

Thanks for this one...

And what do you think? Mother's Day is the perfect excuse for a certain orange cake, yes? :)
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

You have an amazing relationship with your son. I am so blown away that he shares his heartbreaks with you. I've read all the books about parenting boys, so I know how unusual that is, and have a heard time imaging my own son confiding in me that way. He had a girlfriend in first grade, followed by a mysterious breakup which he wouldn't tell me about for all the tea in China. That doesn't bode well, does it? I figured out that he had a girlfriend when he suddenly insisted on taking the schoolbus daily. Then, when he just as suddenly refused to ever board the bus again, I knew it was kaput. All I can do is read the signs and be satisfied with reluctant one-word answers to my prodding. That won't work when he's in college.

Happy Mothers Day !
Reach said…
Teri,
Your words always carry such power; however, today was the exception. With your words, you have redrawn the line and raised the bar, because you have made a connection with my emotions. I, too, am sitting here at work and holding back. Don't need the superiors to see this. LOL

As for your son, I am happy for him. With these experiences, anybody can see that he is living life. Without the "downs", our "ups" will not thoroughly be recognized. We can listen to the famous quotes: "To love and loss", etc; yet the heart does not feel better. And, with each tear or brake of the heart, it becomes stronger, healthier, and able to give that much more. I believe his next love will reap the wonder of a more loving, giving, caring, and nurturing heart and soul, from the man you call son.

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...where is the chef extraordinaire when you need her...Angel of the Dawn, I need that Orange Cake, frosting and all. :)

Ciao bella.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...your comment hits home. A little advice if you will. When receiving the one word answers, change the question. Or more accurately the question style. Ask open-ended questions that can't be answered with a simple yes or no. Usually these questions start with, "Who, What, Where, When, How, Why...or even If." Also, if you get too many "I don't knows," and you already know the answer (i.e. the bus ride issue), then start the question with the premise that you already know the answer, as if the child has already told you, or confided with you. More often than naught, he or she will look puzzled for a moment, then think that they must have already confided in you and just can't remember. Or they will respect your wisdom and "all-knowing" motherly instincts. Either way, the child will usually be relieved to "spill their guts" verbally with someone they love and whom thay know loves them unconditionally, than to spill them later,literally, all by themselves.

Hope this works for you. If it sounds manipulative, then I suppose it is. But sometimes it takes what I prefer to call a little finesse to get to the root of a problem that can only get worse if ignored.

Ciao for now my dear friend. Be well and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach, thank you for your wonderful insight into this "close to the heart" issue. I believe you are right, and I suppose it speaks to my closing remarks that he is all grown up, and that some lessons just need to be learned the hard way, no matter how difficult it is for the parents to endure. We just want to wash away the pain, say "poor baby," and make the "boo-boo" go away. Bandaids only work for so long, and over-protection never works.It's hard out there for a....mother, and an "other mother, and a father, and an "other father."

Thanks again Reach...ciao and have a great week.
fjl said…
I loved your description of the little boy, very real. He was a real boy in the text there.

I think it's that way. They are either very big hearted and devoted whatever, or indifferent, calling the shots. I'd go for yours, anyday.

Yes that girl did look a little heartless in appearance. But what are looks...hhmmm :-)

There are some that do go for the ones that might hurt them, the guys who seem to want to prove themselves to a woman. If she exploits that, it can be ( not to dramatise, but it can be,) disastrous.

I agree with your feelings.
Kacey said…
Happy OtherMother's Day!

You sound like a wonderful step-mother, better than your average mother-mother. But, you do bring tears to the eyes of anyone who has mothered a boy,
Our only son got dumped two weeks before Senior Prom and did not date for two years. Then, he found a girl (a total beast of a girl) and was engaged in a flash. When that broke up suddenly, (his idea after a talk with his dad) he said, "You know, Mom, God is so good." I asked why and he said, "Because, he only let me hurt for a week." Some women are just not meant for our sons and it hurts when they find that to be true.
When #1 grandson went away to college, his steady of four years broke it off in favor of his roommate. Talk about hurting! I sent him an old Jerry Vale song, Pretend You Don't See Her My Heart", because he kept running into her on campus and couldn't figure out how to keep from making an idiot of himself.
Your son sounds just like these two young men with lovely hearts. And, from the looks of your guy's pictures --- the females in question are nuts!
Thanks for a lovely Mother's Day piece.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...your comment touches me. It is easy to describe that is still so much in your heart.

Thank you for your words...I hear you.

Ciao chica...enjoy the week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...back at you chica! Your comment warms my heart. I can relate to your experience and also say that your son sounds wonderful, and I know his mother is too.

He is a good-looking son of a gun, isn't he. Not my genes, but a bit of my direction gleams in those beautiful big blue sensitive eyes.

I look forward to your comment each week. Thank you for being such a loyal and supportive reader.

Ciao bella...enjoy your day on Sunday.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
Allow me to offer another cookie to your son. Make that two - one for the loving mother who wrote this article.

Isn't it amazing that fifth grade or older, our essence doesn't change?

Happy Mother's Day!

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...I am so happy to hear from you. I know your plate is full chica, and I appreciate that you took the time to visit.

I'll take that cookie and pass it on...I am sure it will be well-received and prompt a request for another glass of milk.

Ciao bella...please be well and know that I am thinking of you and your current journey.
Kelly said…
This is absolutely the best story you have written thus far. I am amazed and enriched from reading it. Thank you Teri and Happy Mother's Day to you.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kelly...how interesting that I felt I didn't do it justice and almost didn't post it. Even my brother, my toughest critic (other than I) sent me an email that I broke through the ceiling. Your words of encouragement are appreciated and the fact that it reached your heart warms my own heart.

Take care chica...have a great week. I'll be over soon to check on Hale and Denny. :)
Anonymous said…
It's interesting that you say you heard "something in his voice."

I remember a conversation that I had with my mother back when I was in college. We were chatting about whatever topic had popped up in the conversation when she suddenly asked me "What happened to your boyfriend Michael?" Years have passed, yet I NEVER figured out how she knew that Mike and I hadnic broken up...that is, until now!
Leann said…
I cried for the little boy who could not understand the cruelness of the girl, applauded the young man who does not understand why he feels so deeply. Given what I've heard from you about his father and yourself, it does not surprise me at all.

That you remember those moments in time sez volumes about your relationship with your son.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...thank you so much for sharing this with me. I love that my article brought this moment in time back to you and gave you a bit of insight to your mother's motherly intuition.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...what you say speaks volumes to your tender soul. Thank you for your eloquent comment. Your insight into this story is amazing. Well put chica.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Beautiful. Moved me to tears.

Happy Mother's Day.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...thank you for your wonderful comment. It warms my heart.

Happy Mother's Day to you as well.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Celticlass...Welcome and thank you for your kind words. I've always said that being a stepmom was the hardest thing I've ever done, but the most rewarding!

I post a new article every Friday...I hope you come back again and join in the discussion.

Ciao for now...enjoy the week.
Teri,
I married my husband when his son was 2 and a half. His first wife died of leukemia when his son was 15 months. Shane is now 5 and is the most wonderful little boy! You're writing is so inspiring to me as I strive every day to be a good mother to this little boy and provide all the support and encouragement I can. As he grows, I hope that I can offer the kind of loving support you've clearly provided your step-son and have such a caring and open relationship. I learn more every day what big shoes I have to fill! But I have to say, no matter how overwhelming the job of Mom can be, I love every step of this journey! Thanks for your inspiration!

Maryanne
Anonymous said…
I told you earlier, but since it's actually the day: Happy Mother's Day, Teri!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Maryanne (of the Taylor Family)...welcome! Your story is also an inspiration to me. I've no doubt that you will raise a fine young man with heart, integrity and excellent character. You care...and you love. Your son will know this always and carry it with him throughout his life. The support and encouragement you offer him every day will help shape his life, and even the lives of your future grandchildren.

Enjoy the journey chica...it is a trip well worth taking. For me, it was, and is, the trip of a lifetime.

I post a new article every Friday, and you can find the index to all of my articles on this site over on the sidebar, with three different categories: Affairs of the heart; With friends like these; and Changing with the times...or not!

Ciao for now...enjoy the week, and Happy Mother's Day.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Raynwomaan...you are always so thoughtful chica. Thank you so much for your wonderful wishes, and please let me say "Back at you!"

Ciao bella...
Teri, your son sounds like such a great kid, and what a joy to have such a great relationship with him! You are so fortunate and so is he to have two great moms!

Happy Mother's Day!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Elizabeth...welcome and thank you for stopping by, reading and leaving me such a wonderful comment. I am overwhelmed at the response to this story. It means a lot as it was written straight from the heart -- mine.

I post a new article every Friday. I hope you get the chance to stop by again.

Ciao for now and have a great week...and Happy Mother's day to you too!
Julie said…
This was a wonderful post Teri. I have three sons, and at least two of them I suspect will grow up rather sensitive, as well as charming and funny. (doesn't every mother say that?) I worry about the girls who will break thier heart (ones that were probably much like me in my younger years, I hate to admit) and my ability to just love them and not protect them. Heartache is a learning experience, and it's supposed to hurt. If it didn't, they'd call it something else.

Happy Mothers Day, friend.
Leann said…
Teri,

Hope you've had a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Blessings
Leann
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Jules...thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed my story and shared a bit of yours with the rest of us. I applaud your "eyes wide open" viewpoint. Three sons means three of everything, including the good times. Enjoy the time chica...it may seem like it takes them forever to grow up, but later it feels as if the time just flew by in a flash.


Here's to sensitive, charming and funny...a great combination.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...I certainly have. Thank you for thinking of me, and I do hope you had a great Mother's day also.

I have a friend who travels back and forth to your area, and I always think of you when he heads out on one of these trips.

Ciao for now chica..
Callisto said…
Lovely.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callisto...thank you!

Ciao bella...
Leann said…
Someday you'll have to travel back and forth :-)

You're always welcome.
Sideways Chica said…
Der Blue Heron...thank you, and I am as equally blessed for having him in my life.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...perhaps some day I will. Thank you for the invitation.

Ciao chica...
Doug Bagley said…
Loved your post, nice slice of life. You sound like a great mom, step or otherwise.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...thanks! I appreciate your take on my slice of life.

Ciao for now...and have a great week, or what's left of it.
Debbie said…
I just wanted to say this was a beautiful post.I have a father who is a SERIAL husband (4 down so far), you just further proved what a STEP/OTHER mother should be.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...thank you. I see that you have some experience in this area from the other side of the fence. Your words carry a lot of weight chica. :)

Ciao for now...
Sarah Beth said…
That's such a neat story. Glad you're pushing him to keep his standards high and his head straight ... he'll find her, he sounds like a great guy.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Sarah (somebody girl)...such a great comment. I think you are right, someday he will find her, or vice versa.

Here's to high standards...

Ciao chica...

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred