Say what?

A year ago, I wrote that after taking a much-needed break from long hours and deadlines, I spent a month long pilgrimage in Europe to clear my mind. I also wrote that I ultimately found the clarity and vision that I sought in my own little corner of the world — not in any far-off land . A few months ago, I began to feel as if this same corner was stifling me. Some days I felt as if I couldn’t breathe...as if I needed to escape. Was it because I no longer read as voraciously as in the past? Believe me, I tried. My own voice was so strong that I couldn’t concentrate on the written words of others. I wondered if my desire to flee was because I no longer traveled much and I longed for the diversity that had always energized and nourished my soul. I didn’t have the answer, but I did know that my view was restricted.

I thought about the many wise life choices I had made in the past 12-months. Then I thought about other choices that might be contributing to my angst. For the first time in years, I have let new people into my world. I took down the walls and exposed myself for all to see — from Bangladesh to London to Afghanistan (if my site meter is to be believed). I went out on that limb, and took a risk. The risk I didn’t mind. Perhaps it was the judgment of others that was affecting me. Not from my readers, but from people who should know me, but don’t. No, this was not the cause of my angst, but a symptom to be sure.

Many people, family and friends included, read my essays each week. In recent months, I found myself editing, re-editing and even censoring my thoughts. I labored over every written word as if it might be my last. I worried that I might offend someone — or inadvertently hurt the feelings of a loved one. I recognized that I was ignoring my instincts. The irony punched me in the nose. When I first began writing my essays, I stepped to the edge and threw caution to the wind. I felt that my words were evergreen. Now I worried that I might lose my edge if I didn’t step out from beyond whatever self-imposed walls were confining me. What was happening to me? Why was I “thinking” so much? What happened to my grit? I didn’t know, but it was time I found out.

The most difficult part of this new pilgrimage was that I had to acknowledge that my darling husband had something to do with my malaise, though not knowingly. He is still my biggest fan, and I feel blessed to have him in my life. It was something he said a few months ago, a comment that found a willing target — me. He said that I spent too much time on the computer — writing, responded to my readers, reading other blogs, and working on my book proposal. Let me take a moment and point out that my husband had never said anything like this to me in the 17 years we’ve been together. It was because of his affable, hands-off approach in the past, that I took his comment to heart. I didn’t stop to think that this comment might be tied to his difficult knee surgery that wasn’t as pain-free and easy to recover from as his doctor (and therapist) had led us to believe. I didn’t stop to think that he was taking a lot (really a lot) of medication each day and could have been in an altered state when he made this comment. I didn’t even stop to think that I was already spending more time with him on a daily basis than I had in the last six years combined? I just reacted immediately.

I stopped working early mornings and later in the evening. I tried to accomplish everything, including writing for myself, writing for my clients, taking care of him and the home front, within a given (and drastically shortened) parameter of time. I set myself up to fail. Everything suffered. I became inefficient and disorganized — adjectives not usually found in my playbook. Each morning I arose and took one-step forward. By the end of the day, I felt as if I had taken 10-steps backward. I was exhausted each night, with hardly had anything to show for my effort. I also stopped exercising. I didn’t have time for my daily walk and my weekly classes at the gym. As I look back, I see that time was sufficient; it was me who couldn’t (or wouldn’t) adjust.

As I tried to reinvent myself and adapt to an ill-fitting schedule, every night was the same. My husband would come home from work, fall asleep icing his knee next to me, and we would watch TV. We abandoned our usual walks, soaking in the Jacuzzi or getting together with friends and neighbors. He didn’t feel like doing anything. He was exhausted and his knee hurt. Just getting through his workday was chore enough. So, night after night there we sat. He would fall asleep after an hour or so, and I would continue to sit with him and watch whatever was playing on Tivo.

So, there I sat...by my husband’s side as he slept. Then we went to bed. I didn’t write, catch up on emails, take care of paperwork, or return phone calls. Somewhere along the line, he started to heal — and I started to hurt. I didn’t recognize the signs at first, but eventually I realized that when I shut off the computer, I was shutting off a part of myself — the creative part. My mind was obsessed with the Herculean tasks I would try to accomplish the next day. Sunday nights were the worst, as I tried to leave Monday until Monday arrived. Soon, I dreaded Sunday and felt a slave to Monday — which was the day I allotted in my shortened schedule to write the first draft of an article. The pressure was extreme and I began to turn down lucrative freelance jobs because I didn’t have time.

A few weeks into this new schedule, my husband started coming home for lunch each day. This I encouraged, as he needed to rest his leg and get nourishment he would have skipped if left to his own devices. The problem was that I never knew when he would be home for lunch. He might call and be on the way, and then something would come up and he would be late – sometimes over an hour late. He couldn’t call because would be on the phone putting out fires or didn’t have a cell signal. Generally, this occurred after I rearranged everything to accommodate him and lunch was on the table. I could have been on the way to the gym, or just getting ready to shower, and I would put everything on hold. The things on hold were never revisited that day — except the shower, of course. Eventually, I began to feel the same angst as in the latter days of running my agency. Deadline, deadline, deadline. Everything was a deadline. I became cranky, listless and angry. Writing became a chore.

Every week I forced myself to write at a specific time. It wasn’t working. Before my husband’s comment, I was relaxed and casual with my writing schedule. If I had an idea on a Sunday afternoon, or after dinner, I would sit down for an hour and knock out a few paragraphs...and finish it later. My new, husband-friendly schedule had me constantly worried that I wouldn’t have anything to write, or that if I had a gleam of an idea, the words wouldn’t flow on demand. Then there were the emergencies that would interrupt my schedule and push my writing into Tuesday. This would ruin the entire week. There I was trying to contain my creative side inside a confining, and suffocating, box. It didn’t serve me (or my husband) well.

After a particularly hard week, I finally snapped. No dinner made, no grocery shopping done, and certainly no trips to Costco. My husband thought I was sick. I knew I was. I was sick at heart — bottled up and miserable. I was tired all of the time. Still I didn’t know why. Again, I tried to analyze my situation. Was this angst female related? Was I depressed? Anemic? I started drinking green tea and taking my temperature. I even bought some dark “mood enhancing” chocolate. Nothing, not even the chocolate, worked.

Then we went away for the weekend — we left the hood for the first time in four months. I didn’t experience an epiphany, but I did relax. I also left my laptop at home. The change of scenery (away from my “boxed in” corner) restored a bit of my clarity. My vision improved and I looked at myself from the outside in...and I finally figured it out.

The evening after we returned from our getaway, I told my husband that I needed to work a bit that night, and I hoped he didn’t mind. I explained that I had some deadlines for clients, and an idea for an article that I wanted to outline. He looked at me as if I were crazy. “Why would I mind?” he asked. It was my turn to give him the “are you crazy” look. I reminded him of his comment a few months back. He looked even more puzzled and said he didn’t remember that discussion. I think he said I must have been dreaming. I thought, but didn’t say, “Some dream.”

I guess pain and Vicodin are a potent combination — mood altering to be sure. My husband made an uncharacteristic remark that he doesn’t remember. I took uncharacteristic action and didn’t clarify his meaning, or broach the subject again. Perhaps his comment just referred to that night, or until he was feeling better. Maybe he just said something that he didn’t mean. I know I didn’t hear him incorrectly, as that would be impossible. Whatever he did or didn’t mean, I’m through the worst of it...and so is he. Lest you think I resent these past few months, sitting beside my husband while he slept and recuperated, I don’t. He needed me by his side, whether he admits he asked or not, and I needed to be there.

Later that night, after my husband fell asleep in front of the TV, I wrote...and wrote and wrote. Not this article, but something else — something that had been on my mind, but couldn’t be summoned forth at a predetermined time. The house was quiet, my husband was resting peacefully, and my fingers flew quickly and happily over the keyboard. As the nasty and confining box collapsed, I emerged with my voice intact and the satisfaction that all was well in my little corner of the world once again...and with the man lying asleep on the sofa.

The gloves are off, my indecision gone. I am back. I must apologize to the environmentalists though, of which I am one. I threw that confining box away. I put it in the trash. I would normally put the cardboard in the recycling bin, but I worried that it would end up in the wrong hands. It’s not easy to climb out of a box, especially when you don’t know you’re in one. I wouldn’t want to recycle this journey to anyone — friend or foe.

Dedicated to my husband — I’m so happy you’re feeling better. Let’s take a walk and then soak in the Jacuzzi. I’ll let you take it from there.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Angel said…
OY!

We women are good about jumping right into those boxes. It seems to be hotwired into our genes/jeans.

Glad you beat back the box-- maybe you should have torched it.

Funny, I have this piece that's been writing in my head all week about The Hubster and how he doesn't keep me in a box. Which doesn't stop me from jumping in anyways of my own twisted accord.

I'm going puddle jumping today.

***side note -- I left a comment last week, first one as is this one--don't know what happened to it and hope this one sticks. Will try to remember to call you later -- Tempe is next week..***
Anonymous said…
Teri,

You can be forgiven for not recycling your box. There's too many other boxes out there, so one less is a blessing. :) Sledgehammers, however, for breaking out of the brick boxes that some people get into, are definitely recycleable... I've got one that's nearly ready to pass on, too!

It seems that the more we love a person, the less it works for us to live in a way that we believe they want us to live. I think, in many cases, a person puts themselves in their own box, because they feel that's what their Significant Other wants from them. I think the ability to anticipate someone's needs is a fine trait in a personal assistant, but should stay a Delightful Surprise in relationships.

Something interesting to consider is that, while your husband probably was telling you that he needed you to be with him more, he might also have been expressing a concern for you, that you might need to take a break for yourself, as in, "you're working too hard".

I'm glad you're back, that you've reclaimed your voice and your grit. And the husband sleeping on the sofa? He's probably glad to have you back, too!
Chris said…
Ah, LLS. Once again, you and I find ourselves shipmates on the same boat.

I've also felt my creativity becoming trapped in a box: the box of my novel. While I've enjoyed writing the story, and it has been an incredible experience, sometimes the (self-imposed) pressure of writing a new chapter every day felt stifling. I felt like I couldn't write anything else, and that the novel had taken over my every creative impulse. This was bad, as I had actual freelance work that needed finishing, and I wasn't doing a blessed thing about it.

I tried taking a week off here and there, in the hope that I could use these little "vacations" from the novel to work on the other projects I needed to work on. However, I ended up using my time off to catch up on all the real-life responsibilities I let slip in favor of writing, such as housework. So, my vacation would end, with no freelance work done, and a new chapter "due" the next day.

Fortunately, I posted the final chapter of the novel today. It was extremely satisfying, and I could actually see the lid of the box opening, freeing my creativity for other things.

I'm glad you managed to kick your box, and that you too are back up to full fighting strength. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel (of the Dawn)...glad to hear from you. Sorry about your disappearing comment last week. I wondered what happened to you. I think it happens a lot with blogger.

As to that box...glad to be rid of it, but I can't blame it on my husband. The box was all my doing. It seems that I jumped "in anyways of my own twisted accord." :)

Ciao chica...enjoy the puddles.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
Glad you came out of the box. Free spirits need space for their ideas to breathe, grow, and develop.

At the risk of sounding like a genie, I was in several bottles...er, boxes in my life. Usually its something a person said that sent me into a box. And I remained there due to some misguided sense of obligation - thinking this is what made that person happy.

And one fine day...I'd realize that this choice was stressing me out. And things were feeling worse, not better. I'd feel guilty when I came out of each box - but have realized that to be truly happy and to keep the people around me happy, I need to be true to myself.

I can write a lot on this - I have an entire tower of discarded boxes :).

Hope you had a good mother's day.

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhh...Raynwomaan, by George I think you've got it! Yes, I was working very hard and I overreacted to his comment. Partly, I think because I must have wanted to pull back. Interesting. Thank you for the clarification and insight chica.

Ciao bella...thank you very much. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Yes Chris (LLB), once again we are on the same page of that novel! Thanks for sharing, makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who gets "boxed" in. Hope you've thrown your box away too!

Here's to kicking that box...far, far away from others who might be inclined to climb on in.

Ciao for now friend...have a great week and congratulations on that last chapter.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...we are kindred souls it seems.

"Usually its something a person said that sent me into a box. And I remained there due to some misguided sense of obligation - thinking this is what made that person happy."

So true to life, at least my life. I hope you are currently outside the box...or at least on your way to fresh air.

Ciao bella...take care and be well. I know your current journey is a tough one, thank you for taking the time to reach out and share with us.
Tai said…
It's funny how we contort ourselves to try to conform to an 'imagined' requirement by others.

Congrats to you AND your husband for working through that, it's shows great character and strength to be able to re-visit an issue sometimes.
I am very glad you climbed out of that box. It really does pay to clarify, doesn't it? It's so easy to twist yourself into knots, especially for those you love. And funny (after the fact) that they are not even aware you are doing it. Been there.

It is good you are feeling more yourself. Don't censor what you write. Your instincts appear to be very sound. Trust yourself.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tai...so true. I'm not sure if I conformed to an imagined (or temporary) requirement, or if I turned into a contortionist to shove myself inside the box. I do know that I am happy to be out, gulping in cool, fresh air.

As you say, here's to re-visiting the issue - finally!

Ciao for now...and enjoy the week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...thank you for the wise (and comforting) words. I bet we've all been there and done that. Good to know I didn't censor too much! I did get pretty "knotted" up though. I think all the kinks are gone - at least for now.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Anonymous said…
Hi Teri. I so enjoyed this post. I too have heard that I spend too much time at the computer from both my husband and my 5yo. When I tried to pull back I got writer's block and my posts became fewer and fewer. It just didn't work. So I found a time of day that didn't affect either of them and started carrying a note pad to jot down ideas or sentences as they came to me. It isn't ideal, but it is working for now.

Glad you are able to throw off the box and get back to your 'old self' . Have a great day.


~K!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kismet...thank you so much for sharing. You inspire me.

I have worked on deadline for years and can always write something...especially for clients. So, for me, it's not so much writer's block, but I know when I am in the groove...and that the process is easier, more enjoyable, and I think this is conveyed in the quality of the finished work.

I think I might have to get my audio memory stick out and keep it handy for when the mood strikes and I am unable to strike those keys on the keyboard. Thanks for the reminder...I did this for years while driving in the car from appointment to appointment.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Kelly said…
I know nothing of boxes or husbands for that matter, since I was only married for a mere five years, but something you said about your writing that I'd like to address. You stated that you spend so much time worrying and editing for fear of offending someone and thus squelching some of your creativity. Teri, I may be wrong, but I really think that a really good writer, such as yourself, shouldn't even consider that. I honestly believe that a person reflects their own morals and judgements when writing and if you just let yourself go, write as your heart tells you~ you won't offend just on the principle that you aren't the offending kind. Do you understand what I'm saying?

I hope so. It would be a shame to waste a moment of your creativity as each moment wasted is a moment we won't have to read your writing~~ and I for one am getting old-er dear. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kelly...such a wonderful comment. Thank you. And yes, I know exactly what you are saying.

The operative word is "Spent" time worrying" not "Spend." During the past three months of "captivity" I caught myself holding back several times, which is not my usual M.O. I have never held back in my life. I have already put a stop to this as you will see in next week's post, which, can you believe, is already written. I must edit it and add a few touches, including some photos, but I did not hold back. Not on this one either. I even read it aloud to the Husband.

Ciao bella...your words hit the mark. Have a great weekend and thanks again. Give my regards to Denny.
Reach said…
Teri,
I had no idea, as you left a comment to me; but, how could I?
I will most certainly agree with Kelly, I do not come here for the politics. I am here to read your thoughts! I come to your site, so that, I may understand what is important in your world, and mind, today. You know that I have written about respect; your readers respect you, your thoughts, and concerns.
As I can never speak for others, I hope to never see anything "white-washed" on your site.
So, I am asking, please step out on the ledge and "Take It To The Limit". I know you can raise the bar.

"The only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor; he took my measurement anew every time he saw me, while all the rest went on with their old measurements and expected them to fit me."
(George Bernard Shaw)

My Best for the Weekend-

Reach

PS. Tell hubby I'm still there, as I have just been given more PT. OH, and my pills run out next month-darn
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach..."raise the bar." Now what are you trying to do to me? :)

Yes, I became PC for a short while, even though I don't and won't write of politics of the political kind. My bad indeed.

Don't worry, I may have held back some...but not so much as most would know. I'm still pretty edgy even when I'm a bit dull.

Thanks for the "shoring" up. Needed it today. I promise to "reach" to new heights (or measurements) as I can.

Ciao buddy...have a great week.
Leann said…
Teri,

This post hit such a cord with me and not one I had even realized needed to be hit.

I spend my week barreling towards the weekend hoping for time. Time to rest, time to write, time to read, time......always time.

What I've been missing is that there is no time for ME. I'm so busy focusing on what SHOULD get done that I'm missing out on what I WANT to do or what would sooth my soul.

I looked forward to the time when my children would be out of the home and I could spend time getting to know me and do the things I never had TIME (there's that word again) to do. I'm realizing it's not time I need.

Thank you for this post. I needed to be reminded. To rest my mind, nurture my soul, and feed my body.

Blessings
Leann
Sideways Chica said…
Ah yes Leann...time for you. I forgot about that. I mean time for me that is. Even hair appointments were missed. Glad I helped chica.

Here's to time to rest our minds, nurture our souls, and feed our bodies.

Ciao bella...have a great week, and please take some time out for you!
Ballpoint Wren said…
Dear Teri, isn't it something how just one offhand comment (in their minds) becomes such a huge personal statement (in our minds)? This has happened so many times between Hubby and me. We women can be so self-limiting!
Kacey said…
As usual, your post is outstanding. But, it made me feel strangely sad that all husbands and wives are capable of misunderstanding each other's words or motives. People are always thinking things that do not exist in our mate's conciousness. How can we hurt one another or confine their creativity in a box with a few ill chosen words? I hate to tell you this --- but, your period of confinement sounds like the onset of "senior marriage". In most marriages, each partner would gladly die for the other, but will readily defend their point of view to the death. I think I am sad, because your episode of boxhood sounds so much like ordinary people ---- and you are so far above ordinary! Stay free, Chica!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie...you are so right. It speaks to our heart and of course our respect and consideration of the people we love so much.

By the way, I can no longer access your site...please send me an email and let me know what I need to do.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Yes Kacey...I will fight the good fight. Senior marriage is not upon us yet, but we have been together for almost 17 years. Having said that, I did what I needed to do...and I also used it as an excuse. I know myself well, and I took the easy way out. I will not color it any other way. Just last evening someone told my husband and I that he could not believe we had been together that long. I replied honestly that it felt like only yesterday that my husband crashed my girls night out and literally swept me off my feet. So...no worries here, just a temporary setback that I have learned volumes from...history (or herstory) will not repeat itself any time soon.

Thank you for the very, very, very wise words.

Ciao my special friend...have a great week.
B.S. said…
I'm so glad you're rid of that box, Teri. And I certainly know what you're talking about regarding being careful not to offend anyone with your writing. Because of that issue, only 4 people who actually know me have been given my blog address. I am too much of a chameleon, trying to please (or simply not offend!) whomever. You have your hands full, Chica, with your friends and family all reading your essays! My hat's off to you for that.

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...thank you. You of all people know exactly what I mean. My hat is off to you as well...I love your musings. Take care chica, and let me know when you're ready for that "match."

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sarah Beth said…
Excellent story. Glad you're back on top of your game again.
Sideways Chica said…
Thanks Sarah (somebody girl)...good to have you back also. Hope all is well in your corner of the world. :)

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Tamarai said…
That is so true - when you start living for someone else, you start to disappear. What a powerful article - you've given me something to think about.
fjl said…
We must have the same star. I am kick starting my motivation at the moment. The sun's dried up the rivers recently ( re my application to the casework.) but I'm back on the job again. Creative energy comes in a flood, or there's a biblical type drought. I don't know why that should be. It's hardly helpful when you want to writ for a living! But yes, pressure to create ( or not to) turns of the taps. Like seduction, it's got to be free.
Then there's the whole self discipline thing. Something in us rebels against creating when asked to, I think.
x
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...that was my hope - to share an experience that might help others. Thank you for your kind words.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...so true. Here's to the kick-start, and here's to self motivation and discipline...and blinders, and earplugs...

Ciao bella...enjoy the week, or what's left of it. :)
theCallowQueen said…
Another great article, Teri. What I want to know is how do you handle people who may be upset by what you write.

I've noticed that over the past two years my writing on my blog has become more constricted, less imaginative, and, frankly, more of a chore because I'm editing myself now that word of my blog has spread among friends, family and even co-workers.

Recently, I was pulled aside by someone (who I didn't even know knew about my blog) who asked me to remove a post because reading it made her relive a traumatic event, and she was embarrassed.

I removed the post, even though it was about my experience during the event and my reaction to it--not about her. The event was about her; the post was about me. I didn't name this person, and the only ones who would have any idea of who she was were the people who were there when it happened.

That said, looking back at the entry, there are sections I would have worded differently or deleted if I knew she would read it. But doing so would have stripped away the dressings of character and location.

I almost quit blogging entirely. It's too public. My blog is too known. And I fear I could damage relationships.

But it's in my blood. I enjoy expressing myself through this medium. Any advise on how to temper my writing or responding to the backlash?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callow Queen...I understand your dilemma. I can only tell you what I have done.

When necessary, I take great pains to hide the identity of the people who show up in my articles...other than myself, my husband and my boys. Sometimes I am so good at it that the person I am writing about does not (or maybe refuses to) recognize themself. Denial goes a long way. That being said, I have let everyone know that if I am involved in a situation, or made aware of an issue, that in all likelyhood it will end up in an essay. But I think they figured this out before I did.

Have I offended anyone? Probably. But I feel that I have hidden their identity well enough that they can either choose not to be around me and/or not read my articles.

I do take pains to draw my readers in and let them come to their own conclusions. I have never liked a heavy-handed writing style. I prefer a more subtle, thinly-veiled approach. Sometimes my point is hidden between the lines for all to read if they so choose. I also like to leave a few points for my readers to sharpen. It's like writing a puzzle...everyone needs to pick up the pieces they have and see where they fit.

Hope this helps chica...ciao and have a great week.
theCallowQueen said…
I like the puzzle approach as well. But sometimes the emotions are just too strong and burst through my attempt at creating that veil. Also, while I love the hidden meanings and play of words in my writing, what I find most fascinating is what others read into it. It's like my readers have this certain idea of who I am--or who they'd like for me to be--and cull support for these ideas from between the lines of my text.

Thank you for your thoughts. An understanding nod was just what I needed. (And a place to post my frustration since I obviously could not do so directly on my own blog.)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callow Queen...

" It's like my readers have this certain idea of who I am--or who they'd like for me to be--and cull support for these ideas from between the lines of my text."

Well said chica.

Ciao.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...I love your comment and I understand. In answer to your question, I can only say...we shall see. Now that I am once again out of the box I think I shall have plenty of material to share with my readers.

Good luck chica...Ciao.
Shankari said…
Hmm Back, Teri! To this....

I started blogging as a way out of the box but your post makes me realise that there are other boxes ahead. Thanks for the warning!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...yes,be careful. We can get boxed in without even knowing it. :)

Ciao chica...good to hear from you.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred