Hat trick anyone?

I was riding the recumbent bike at the gym the other day when a woman in her mid-sixties sat down next to me. As she started to pedal, she looked over and asked me what my hat said. I glanced in the mirror and smiled as I realized it was a baseball cap from an old corporate client of mine — “old” as in back when I had my agency. I don’t wear this hat often and must have grabbed it by mistake as I hustled out the door to beat the morning gym rush. As I thought of my agency, I felt a bit nostalgic, but I told the woman the name of the client, and what the cap said. Then I followed up with, “I didn’t realize I was wearing this hat.” Now it was her turn to smile. She turned to me with a mischievous grin and said, “That’s life isn’t it? We never know which hat we’re wearing.” There were several gym rats within hearing distance and we all laughed. I heard an “Amen” from a woman on the treadmill. She had on a beanie hat.

As I left the gym that day, I thought about all of the hats I’ve worn in my life — whether I knew I was wearing them or not. As I tried to mentally put labels on each hat, I realized that this exercise required pen and paper. My first entry was “My mother’s daughter and my father’s little girl.” From there I felt as if I went on an amazing journey of recognition and awakening (or rather re-awakening). I tried to remember all of the hats I wore as a child. There were many, including my favorite Easter bonnet, and the white (as in always visible) Bell motorcycle helmet I wore while dirt bike riding with my family in the desert. Next I moved on to “someone’s sister, someone’s granddaughter, someone’s niece... .” I worked through my list chronologically. For instance, I didn’t list “someone’s aunt” until I became someone’s aunt. I covered the entire hat rack, including student hats, career hats, girlfriend hats, wife hats and my cherished “other” mother (as in step-mom) hats.

For me, this exercise was fun. I love hats and wear them often. I get some ribbing from friends who think of me as a dash eccentric, but I also get considerable compliments. Either way, it doesn’t matter. I choose to wear hats because I like them. In high school and college, I wore berets, news caps and other fun little numbers that are back in style today. I have my favorite fly-fishing hat. It’s an Australian Outback hat that I’ve worn for over 16-years — it has an Indian nickel headband and many great flies at the ready. My point is that I wear many hats. Some hats I put on purposely and others, not so much.

It’s like Forrest Gump’s (or rather, his mother’s) philosophy... “life is like a box of chocolates.” For me, life is one huge hatbox and has been for as long as I can remember. Like that metaphorical box of chocolates, my hatbox is pretty much the same. I never know what I’m going to get.

Every day we’re called upon to wear many hats — mother, father, daughter, son, sister, brother, friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, boss, employee. Whatever hat we wear is who we are at that given moment. Sometimes we wear several hats simultaneously. Sometimes we go hatless. I know from experience that whenever I go hatless that my hair flies everywhere and if the weather is nice I’m in danger of getting a sunburned nose. I usually enjoy my rare hatless days, as these are the carefree times when I don’t worry about everything and everyone in my life. I’ve learned to cherish the moments and keep rubber bands and zinc oxide handy for those blustery and sunny days. Sometimes though, when a hatless day comes on the heels of several days of wearing (and changing) many hats, I can get flustered and not know what to do with myself.

Father’s Day was one of those days. My stepsons spent the day with my husband and me. They came early and we had breakfast at a favorite Mexican restaurant. After we returned home, the boys and their father relaxed, napped and watched the U.S. Open. It was just like old times. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon watching golf on TV. This time though, there was hardly enough room on the sectional for all of those long legs. Later, the boys went to the grocery store and bought food for dinner. Then they proceeded to cook a fabulous meal, complete with sautéed shrimp appetizers and fruit and toffee for dessert. They also did the clean-up afterward. I was given one rule, but it was a biggie. I could only help (or offer advice) if they asked me. I helped them find the right pots and pans, and I took inventory before they went to the store while they wrote out their shopping list. I even found the baster for the grill, but I was not allowed to wear the “mother” hat or the “supervisor” hat. I was especially not allowed to wear the “critique” hat. I bit my tongue a few times, and then became resigned to my hatless predicament. Eventually, I wondered up to the loft with my husband and took a nap. I rarely nap, but this was a good one. There were no hats to get in my way. When I awoke, I had a few more queries from the boys as to where to find things, or which plates to use. At some point, I wandered into the kitchen and put on a hat that I didn’t know I owned — the “automatic pilot” hat. Then I returned to the loft to wait with my husband for what was beginning to smell like a wonderful meal. Not two minutes later, the 24-year-old came up and asked me why I turned off the oven. At first, I looked up at him with a blank stare. Then it dawned on me. While wearing the automatic pilot hat, I turned off the oven with the baked potatoes still cooking inside. No harm done. The potatoes came out perfectly an hour later, thanks to the big white (I’m in charge) chef’s hat our son was wearing at the time.

We ate outside on the deck and enjoyed a wonderful meal. I was in excellent company. My husband had his “proud father” hat perched jauntily on his head and the boys had on their “didn’t we do good” hats. The boys also wore another hat that evening. I realized that the eldest son was now a man, and the youngest was well on his way.

I’m glad that I did my hat exercise before Father’s Day, and took this journey into my past. It’s prepared me for my next project — sorting through my hat collection. I’ll pass some hats on, toss other hats out, and put a few away for a rainy day. I realize that wearing too many hats can cause us to live our lives on automatic pilot. We may not see something as clearly as we would if we just gave our hats a rest. I know that variety is supposed to be the spice of life, but too many hats is just too many hats. We’re apt to put them on even when we shouldn’t. It’s like that box of chocolates. We may not know what we’re going to get, but one thing is guaranteed. If we keep the box around for too long, whatever we get will be stale. There’s an expiration date for everything.

I've decided to keep only three of my hats handy. I’ll keep my “friend” hat on the hat rack. I know it will get a lot of use. I’ll pack my “mother” hat away for rainy days, as my boys are now my friends and need very little mothering. I will also wear my “friend” hat with my husband more often, because he’s my best friend. My fly-fishing hat will stay in its place of honor because it has special meaning to my family and me. The third hat that stays, I will keep to myself. I've learned that not all hats are meant to be worn in public. What about my other hats — as in daughter, sister, aunt, or writer? How will I get by without them? I’m not sure, but I think I’ll brave the elements and go hatless for a while. I may get wet, I may get sunburned, and I may get flustered. There’s also the chance that I may gain some clarity and see things that I’ve been missing while navigating my life on automatic pilot. Yes, I think I’ll take my chances. The “puck” stops here. That’s my hat trick. What’s yours?

Dedicated to the wise woman in the gym. I don’t know her name, nor have I seen her since. I do know that if I ever see her again that I owe her a big heartfelt thank you. Also, here's to the Dads. I hope you all had a great day!

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Kacey said…
Dear Teri ... I can't believe that you collect metaphorical hats. I have spent the last twenty years collecting real hats from wherever I travel. They are used as decorations in our bedroom (all piled willy-nilly on the wardrobe). I don't wear them, because I look awful in hats ...but, I love them for the stories they tell.
As young adults, we waited for our parent's generatiion to hand over the reins as the horses ran the course of life in a world we anticipated to be ours. Alas, there we sat with our "cowboy hats" perched atop our heads and watched as the power behind the reins was transferred from our parents directly to our children. I've always thought of my generation as the filling of a sandwich being squeezed from both directions. Now that the kids are in full control of the buggy, I think we've reached our expiration date and need to hang up our "hats".
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I love hats and wear them often...literally and figuratively. I have no intention of ever hanging up my hats completely. I will just monitor their usage and keep no more than three handy at a time. It's when I start wearing five and six all at one time that I know I have a problem. ;)

As for handing over the reins...I think they "take" them these days. I'll be holding on lightly for a while I think.

Plus...I intend to find more hats. I think that I have so many now that I don't leave room for some that could really liven things up and provide some fun and enjoyment.

Ciao bella...have a great hat-less week!
Anonymous said…
Good luck on your new, hatless endeavor. Well, maybe it's really "hat light"? ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...back at you. I have a feeling you wear a few hats as well.

Ciao chica...have a great week!
Angel said…
AHHH!

Now I have to make a hat list.

So good to put aside the bloody gardening hat for a couple days though.

*runs off to make list*
Shankari said…
Hi Teri!

What a lovely post. It held out the metaphorical mirror to me- the mirror I never peep into. And guess what? I couldn't see my self at all - under all those metaphorical hats! Guess I NEED to doff a few now and then. A more than mere metaphorical Hats-off for another thought provoking post ;)
Chris said…
Hee hee. You have quite the knack for metaphor, LLS. :)

My Father's Day was good. I wore two hats at the same time that day, my Dad hat and my Son hat. But they're both ball caps, so I turned one backwards and I looked like Sherlock Holmes. Yes, I am currently wearing my Dork hat. ;)

Another excellent post. I wear enough hats in the course of a week that I'm thinking it might be time to organize my hatrack as well. Thanks for the inspiration. :)
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

I'm so sorry I missed you last week. Of course I read your post but was in too much turmoil to comment. Suffice it to say it was a rough week, due to the irrational behavior of the child's father.

This post brought back a fond memory of the hat I wore constantly during high school. Back then, I didn't have the problem of too many hats! We adults, though, have a lot to think about after reading this piece. I think I'll make a list, too!

Lots of hugs,
Betty
T.H. Elliott said…
I might have to come up with a list of my own. I only have two real hats, a baseball cap and a Fedora. I wonder what that says about my metaphorical hats?

I'll also have to try the hat-less idea. I know I need to put away the impatient guy hat, and the angry-man hat. If only it were as easy as taking off a real hat.

Enjoyed the post!
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh...Angel of the Dawn, I see you took off the "get the house ready for sale gardening hat" for a wee moment to stop by. Before I even clicken on comments this morning I knew you were here!

Missed you chica, and look forward to the "organic farming" hat stories to come from your side of the East Coast Orange County.

Ciao bella...have fun with your list! Also...I do hope you have some R & R in your future soon. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...doff away, it feels good, metaphorically speaking of course! By the way, I had the same mirror problem as you. I could have bought a larger mirror...but the hat trick seemed like a lot more fun!

Ciao bella...have a great hat-less week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...hee hee back at you! I love the "dork hat." I think this is one we should all wear more often. Never hurts to lighten things up and poke a little fun at ourselves - especially for those of use who tend to take ourselves a bit too seriously (like me!)

Ciao LLB, I mean my dear Watson...so happy you could wear both father/son hats at the same time. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...yes, somehow I knew you were here last week. I also guessed that you were dealing with a lame duck or a quack. I see my intuition was correct.

Hope your "duck" of a duck has flown south. If not, you may want to don the "I am woman hear me roar" hat for a bit. If so, please feel free to roar away whenever necessary. We will all understand.

Ciao bella...have a great week and be well. Hugs to you and the child.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear T.H. ... Welcome! I am so glad you came by. I always love it when another guy shows up to balance out the "chica" ratio. My site may say for "happy women," but I do think you guys have a vested interest in happy chicas as well.

I absolutely love that you brought up the "impatient guy" and angry man hat. We can all learn from your comment. Thank you for sharpening my point. ;)

I post a new article each week and look forward to seeing you here (and at Reach's place) again soon.

Ciao for now...have a great week and if you hear from Reach, let him know that I'm worried about him.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
Simplifying one's life by getting rid of some hats seems like a good idea. I need to think about how to apply that to my life :)

Thanks for the thought-provoking post - and you do have a way with metaphors!

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...it's easy. Just take it "one hat at a time" chica.

Thank you for enjoying...I guess I do love the metaphors. Whenever something happens, as in the woman's comment in the gym, my mind just automatically goes there. I am also fond of irony. When I can match the two together, metaphorically speaking of course, then I am a happy chica myself!

Ciao bella...take a look at your hat rack and remember to put some of them away for rainy days! ;)
fjl said…
Definitely, definitley the Brit in you coming out. Or perhaps the emerald Isle. And the need for tea becomes apparent. :-)
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhh yes FJL...perhaps I need to keep my "tea" hat next to my tea caddy!

When I lived in Madrid a thousand years ago, I had a british roommate...Linda. She was amazing.

Ciao bella...have a great week, Careful with the ducks.
Callisto said…
Teri,

Thank you for the timely reminder that I can change hats now and then!

And how funny is Chris's 2 hat/dork comment "...so I turned one backwards and I looked like Sherlock Holmes"

xx
Doug Bagley said…
You know, I have a hat that says (actually it says nothing. It doesn't know how to speak...yet), "Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over." What that has to do with what you wrote in your blog I have know idea, lol.
As always you've laid down some terrific things to think about.
And thanks for your kind words about my site.
Sideways Chica said…
Yes Callisto...that Chris is pretty funny, isn't he! Hmmmmm? perhaps his last name is really Watson. Maybe he smokes a pipe? What exactly do we know about this Spontaneous Fiction guy? Funny, sensitive, caring, talented writer and an overall good egg...even if a bit scrambled! ;)

Ciao bella...have a great!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...I like the idea of the "incognito" hat. It can lead to many possibilities!

Thanks for joining in...the testoterone level is getting higher...and I love it!

Ciao...and have a great week!
moderator said…
I think you have hit on a very important aspect of modern life - we all have too many hats shoved into a box and on our heads. And how easy it is for an important hat to slip to the bottom, unnoticed. Going through the hat box isn't unlike going through an old box of photos.
Leann said…
When I moved to Alaska and left all my hats behind I learned that I was at a loss for several months going "hatless" as it were. I've since become comfortable wearing new, but fewer hats. I've once again found my "friend" hat and wear that one often. There are a few still on the shelf that are growing cobwebs and spouting dust, so hopefully soon, I'll be able to remedy that.
Nan said…
Well, we are SOOO on the same page. A couple of months ago I sat down and made a list of my "Top Hats" meaning that I listed all the roles I've played in my own and other's lives. It was a good exercise for reminding myself of all I am and have done. I have many hats, so far, but I'm not done with finding new hats.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leigh...ahhhh, yes - the lost hat. I've lost a few in my time and partly because I was too busy wearing another. This was especially difficult when I had my agency. The wife, mother and friend hat would slip to the bottom of the pile all too often. Thank goodness I realized it before it was too late. :)

Ciao chica...thanks for stopping by and sharpening my point. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...could be a movie, as in "Hatless in Alaska." Perhaps we could get Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan to play the leads. ;)

Glad you found the friend hat again...although I doubt you misplaced it for long.

Ciao bella...enjoy the week and thanks for weighing in!
Sideways Chica said…
Nan...Ditto what you said! I look forward to exploring some new hats too.

Enjoy the journey, I know I intend to do so.

Ciao chica...glad you came back by! Have a great week.
Anonymous said…
My hat collection is a bit out of sorts...

but I love how your mind works. The box of chocolates, and the hat boxes. Your knack for metaphor is enviable. An excellent article.

A cake (and other things) has kept me busy lately. It's no orange cake, but people seemed to enjoy it anyway. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Rayn...you made my day! I'm so glad you stopped to comment. Thank you for your kind words and back at you! I recently made your cake and everyone wanted the recipe. I said "no," of course. I intend to make it for 4th of July!

I hope your hat collection gets sorted out soon...until then, my hat's off to you!

Ciao bella...thanks for coming out to play!

P.S. I see that you and I were both killed off by our very talented spontaneous author. At least I am in good company! ;)
Debbie said…
bravo again Teri!!
I on the other hand think I would like to have the box of chocolates.
I do not need anymore hats and they occupy too much space.....
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...yes, I agree on the chocolates. My weakness. Or at least one of them. ;)

Thanks for the kind words...so glad you made it by.

Ciao bella...have a great week - and enjoy the chocolates!
Kelly said…
You forgot to mention your 'writer hat'~~ which judging by the way you write and your clarity of thought process~ has to be one of the better hats you own.
You never cease to amaze me with how well you methaphorical put into words such basic observations. Another great thought and post!!
*shakes head in disbelief*
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kelly...I only (and briefly) mention my writer's hat in the last paragraph. Just a slight mention on purpose, as I have chosen to go hat-less with my writing. No automatic pilot. I am busy working on a project that requires a bit of sideways thinking...and a hat just gets in the way. ;)

Thank you for your kind and wonderful words. I value the source tremendously.

Ciao bella...hope you have sorted through your hat collection also. I don't know how you do it - wear so many hats, and wear them all well!

Have a great week.
Anonymous said…
Hey, Hey, Hey,

Very interesting article this week. I really never thought about it much, but I've been doing the "hat trick" for many years, some of them I have already discarded, some I keep for sentimental reasons, and some are absolutely necessary to survive. I know your many readers have many of the same hats in their collections. My favorite one, is "for women only" that is our secret to survival one. :)

Thanks for another great revalation!

Miz Prinny
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Miz Prinny...very well said chica. Thank you for getting out your pencil sharpener and sharpening my point. Yes, the for women only hat is an interesting design. Shhhh! Don't tell the guys!
Ahhh, who am I kidding? Just like the "oh so comfortable" bra, and seatbelt, they probably invented it!

Okay guys...settle down now, I'm just kidding. :)

Actually I would be more interested in getting my hands on the "for guys only" hat. Maybe it's the incognito hat that Doug talks about.

Ciao bella...enjoy the week. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...I couldn't agree more. I forgot my cell phone recently and after being panicked for a moment, I loved the solitude and the hatless prediciament I found myself in.

Good for you...I'm so glad you came by.

Ciao bella...enjoy the hats you do wear - literally and figuratively.
Anonymous said…
Oh Teri, you're so lucky you can wear hats. I certainly don't have a 'hat head'. But my daughter has so I don't where she got it from. But me, I've tried every kind of hats and I gave up. Oh I wear them when I'm in the sun but I surely don't look my best. Maybe because my hair is short? Who knows.

And I love your post and tonight before going to bed, I will do the 'hat exercise', it's a good way to look at our lives.
Thanks
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lise...good to see you and hear from you! Hats aren't for everyone...at least the real hats!

I'm glad you're doing the "hat excercise." I found it very therapuetic...and enlightening.

Have a great weekend in that wonderful little town of yours.

Ciao chica...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...I am so sad to hear this news. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you will wear this hat gracefully. Please know that I am here for you.

I have a friend who I haven't seen in a while who's son is 9 years old. At three, the child was diagnosed with autism after having some immunization shots. He and his wife sought out some alternate therapy and have devoted their life to "getting their boy back." I do know that their road has been challenging (to say the least), but I also know that every little step of progress rewarded them in their efforts.

My best to you and your little guy.


Teri
Reach said…
Teri,

I did not wish to stop by, without saying hello.

I very much enjoyed last week's article, as it carries forward many events traveling in my life at this very time.

I trust all is well with you and I hope it remains this way.

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach... I am so glad to hear from you! I do hope you are getting better. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to check in. It's just not the same without you! I hope you get your "ducks in a row."

Ciao cyber buddy...please take care and be well.
Debbie said…
BH- so sorry to hear about your little man, the only positive I can offer right now is (and I am sure you are doing all the research) there have been great advancements in study in this area and that there is a vast amount you can work with. Good luck.
Amy said…
Happy 4th Teri!

Amy
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Amy...back at you chica! Good to hear from you. Did you wear your Uncle Sam Hat today? Whatever you did, I hope it was good for the soul.

Ciao bella...have a great week!
maria said…
Dear Teri,

In my early twenty I had this
gorgeous baby blue powder spring
coat and wore a beret of the
same color with it.

With my little waist of 23" and
"a la Sophia Loren" hips, I got
more looks and comments that I can
count.

Too bad,mother nature had to come
in and thicken my waist and all the
rest.

Oh well! At least I have a wonderful memory........

Warmly,
Marie
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Maria...I must ask, do you still have the hat? ;)

I remember my days of berets in college and beyond. I still wear them here and there - but mostly there!

Ciao bella...have a great week and thanks for stopping in and saying hello. It's great to hear from you.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred