Love thy neighbor…

What should we do when someone wears out their welcome? A friend of mine is currently struggling with a space invader. He has a friend who loves to stop by unannounced. This used to be OK, but lately it’s become a daily habit. My friend is threatening to develop a nasty habit himself — rudeness. He’s dropped subtle hints, then not-so-subtle hints. Neither has worked. It’s not like he can hide from this friend — he lives right next door.

I told him to be direct — just tell him that you need some time to yourself. I got an interesting reaction. I guess some guys have a hard time telling other guys to go away. Next, I suggested that he put a “closed” sign on his door when he doesn’t feel like having company. He thought about this for a moment, but then decided his neighbor would think it was a joke. He also explained that just because he doesn’t want this guy over every day, it doesn’t mean that others aren’t welcome. My friend’s current girlfriend is beyond (way beyond) irritated with the situation.

Then I remembered my own experience with an overly friendly “know no boundaries” neighbor. It was many years ago...and in a different hood. My face actually turned red as I remembered far too many details — details I had tried hard to forget. This was one piece of trash I thought I left at the curb a long time ago. Apparently it got into the recycle bin by mistake. Somewhat alarmed at my flushed appearance, my friend asked me if I was okay. I assured him that I was, but asked him to get me a drink. I told him that I might have a solution to his problem.

As I thought of the time spent in my old neighborhood, it seemed like yesterday...and I flinched. I love where I live now. I always say that my current home is worth a lot more than market value because of my neighbor — my wonderful, beautiful, considerate, respectful, and genuinely nice neighbor. My husband and I live on a corner and only have one house next to our home. There are no houses across the street , or directly below us. In fact, there are only 89 homes in the entire community. This isn’t by accident. We purposely sought out a home that afforded as much privacy as possible. Why? No deep, dark secrets here. We were scarred survivors of the “know no boundaries” neighbor syndrome. We swore that we would never fall into that quagmire again.

Let’s get back to my old hood, so I can throw this away once and for all. We met our “friendly” neighbor two weeks before our move-in day. At first, we were delighted with how friendly he was. After two years, we had another opinion — which we kept to ourselves. We didn’t share our thoughts with each other, or our friendly neighbor for way too long. Everything was fine for the first year. We were friendly, but not too friendly. About a year after we moved into this house, the wife of this friendly guy started working further away from home. After a few weeks she tired of her five hour daily commute. During the week, she began staying with a friend who lived close to her job. Her husband (truly a nice guy in smaller doses) found himself with a lot of free time on his hands. He was lonely, and he didn’t like to be alone — ever. He loved to cook and invited us over often. This was nice, hospitable, neighborly and enjoyable in the beginning. We also reciprocated in kind. Oh what a tangled web we wove. After a few short months, I felt as if we were joined at the hip. It became awkward if my husband and I wanted to dine alone, as this neighbor would look over the fence and see that our grill was warming up. He’d call out to keep the coals going and that he was on his way to throw his steak on with ours. All too soon, he progressed to the “come on over unannounced” stage. I see now that this is where we should have nipped this friendly neighbor in the bud. Alas, we did not. Eventually, this really nice, truly friendly, great guy neighbor bypassed knocking on our front door, or ringing the bell. He would saunter around to the backyard with drink in hand, come in the sliding glass door uninvited, sit down and make himself comfortable. The more comfortable he got, the more uncomfortable it was for me. I yearned for some down time from this friendly neighbor. I also longed for a little together time with my husband. I never expressed this to anyone. I let it go because I was working long hours and I was rarely home. I thought this gave my husband some company while I was off dealing with one deadline or another. I felt selfish resenting this neighbor’s intrusion, so I said and did nothing.

While I was busy not communicating with my husband about this issue, he was busy not communicating with me. He didn’t have any particular reason for not communicating with me, other than he’s just your average guy bear when it comes to expressing himself — especially if it might lead to confrontation. Bottom line: My husband was even more miserable with the situation than I was. He missed his space and just wanted to lie around on the sofa once-in-awhile doing whatever guys do when they lie around. He also missed our alone time. I found out later that our friendly neighbor started running out to greet him as he pulled into the driveway each evening after work. My husband couldn’t even get out of his truck before he had company for the evening.

How did my husband and I finally end up on the same page...and talk about this issue? Or rather, what made my husband finally fess up and deal with our loss of privacy? It involved nudity. Mine. One Saturday morning, I realized that the undies I wanted to wear were in the laundry room downstairs. Since my husband was at the hardware store, I made the decision to dash downstairs in the nude. No one was home for goodness sake, so off I went. I remember feeling a little thrill at the freedom, however momentary...and it was momentary. Yep, you know where this is going. I wasn’t alone. That’s right...the neighbor was coming in through the back sliding glass door at the same moment my husband was coming into the house through the garage. I was stuck in the middle. Talk about an awkward threesome. As I frantically ran for cover, my up-to-this point patient husband finally started communicating — at the top of his lungs. I don’t know if it was my embarrassment that set him off, or his “oh so sophisticated” male thought process telling him that if not for the neighbor’s untimely intrusion, that he might have capitalized on the moment. As I ran up the stairs, I heard him say something about the front door, calling first or at least knocking. I remember thinking that the two’s company and three’s a crowd remark was over the top, but I was not about to but in — pun intended.

Well…our reluctance to not deal with this overly friendly and drop in anytime neighbor really paid off. Now we had an “oh so not friendly at all” neighbor living right next door. He was offended and refused to look at my husband or me ever again. This was fine with me, as I was still embarrassed about our too close for comfort Saturday morning mĂ©nage a trois — which in French, literally means “household of three.” Wow...bet you were thinking I meant something else entirely.

You may also wonder how this story could possibly help my friend with his similar neighbor problem. It's simple. I told him to do what we did. We moved.

Dedicated to all those suffering from the “know no boundaries” neighbor syndrome. "Knock-knock. Who's there? Your neighbor. Your neighbor who? Your neighbor who never knocks silly!"

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Kacey said…
You are so lucky that your darlin' hubby came in the door just as your overly friendly neighbor came in the other one. Can you imagine how awful it would have been to have to stand there buck nekkid while telling the neighbor that his intruding was entirely inappropriate? I am truly amazed that the thought never occurred to him that a young couple might be caught in the buff while appreciating each other in their own "love nest". It was way past time to kick that gooney bird out of your nest. You really could have used some of my "decoy duckess" peacock feathers. (In strategic places, of course) You do have funny tales, Teri! Keep them coming!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...yes, those "Decoy Duckess" peacock feathers would have come in handy. As for thinking we might have needed some alone time, well this neighbor was older, and he was what I call a guy's guy. Poker with the guys, trips with the guys, etc. I bet it never even hit his radar...and I don't think the wife's choice to stay at her friend's was because all because of the commute... ;)

Ciao bella...glad you enjoyed the tale. My husband started to get upset all over again when I read it to him a few days ago. Now, we are just laughing about it. So, I guess it's good that it hit the recycle bin...as we weren't quite through with it yet! Now I am, and off to the curb it goes. The trash man cometh...

Have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...yes, you are lucky. Not just because of your neighbors though...because you are you, and have the outlook on life that you do.

I'm so glad you have great neighbors. I do too...now! I am so glad we moved. It was the right choice for many reasons, and the last straw, wasn't just the last straw...it was a sign. A for sale sign, that is!

Ciao bella...take care of you and the little guy. I'll be thinking of you.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...you made me smile. I am happy for you and for him! The tears are therapeutic, as you well know. Enjoy them...enjoy him.

I am raising a "regular cup" in a toast, wishing you both the best.

Ciao bella...take care.
Angel said…
I do the nakey around the house thing all the time.

This past Tuesday however, I think I might've scarred a young man for life.

Boy Wonder had a couple buddies stay over. One of whom lives right behind us.

BW was still sleeping in his room and the other two left a request for an 11AM wake up.

No prob -- woken, they proceded to trudge to buddy one's house and me into the shower.

Cleane and dry I prance from bathroom to kitchen and there is buddy two-- back on the couch in front of the TV.

Good goddess -- need I say more?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel...I am still laughing. Thanks, I needed that.

Here's to Angels "nakey" prancing...

Good goddess -- need I say more?

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Anonymous said…
Teri,

Luckily this has never happened to me. I'm a fan of having friends who feel comfortable just "popping" in but they always knock first. Recently, I was picking a guy friend up for an event and he didn't answer his phone. So I went to the door, knocked, no answer... So I went in and realized his music was just too loud for him to hear. I stood just inside the front door calling his cell phone for about 5 minutes until he finally heard it. I was laughing as I told him, "I'm in your house." He came out to the door and told me I should have just come back and found him - YEAH RIGHT!

Thanks for the laugh, Teri. Have a great 4th.
Kacey said…
I have to tell you about our conversation around the dinner table last Sunday after church.
It was---"Have your kids ever caught you in "the act"?
My youngest daughter said that her
son was really little and appeared from nowhere one night, so she just said, "Go back to bed!" And he replied, "Okay, but don't be naked, Mom!" He didn't question anything except for the lack of clothing. Children always get to the important things straight away.
Ballpoint Wren said…
Wah! Teri! Hubby says he's sorry and he promises that next time he'll knock.

(LOL to Angel and Kacey! LOL! LOL!)
Sarah Beth said…
that's such a good story! how about no boundaries people in general? oh, it just burns me up when all i want to do is lie on the couch, but somebody's always calling you!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear A Cat...thanks for the laugh yourself! I think you handled your situation inside the boundry lines!

Have a great weekend...and glad you stopped by. Call me sometime chica...

Ciao bella!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...what a great story! Yes, the kids get the important stuff right...and they have long memories! Someday my boys will be teling stories on us...oh, wait -- I think they already are!

Ciao bella...have a great weekend.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren) -- very, very funny chica! Tell hubby to check if my husband is home before he knocks! ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week!
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

This article couldn't be more timely. My inability to set clear boundaries with my next door neighbor has come to the forefront recently. His behavior is bordering on stalking.

Also, I am considering making an offer on a house in the urban neighborhood which I've blogged about. While reading your post I realized that I might get myself into an even worse situation. At least my current neighbors are known, and the stalker is a 73-year-old man who really can't harm me. (Annoy, yes- harm, no.)

Thank you for addressing this topic- I love knowing I'm not the only one!

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Sarah (Somebody girl) - glad you sharpened my point chica. We girls like to lie around also, don't we?

Here's to toeing the line -- the boundary line, that is!

Ciao bella...glad to hear from you. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...when it comes to neighbors, we're all in it together! As for staying put with the stalker you know...I wouldn't worry about this too much. Just be sure to put your boundary stakes out in the new place where there is plenty of light for good visibility, and remember to do a little bud nipping whenever necessary.

Ciao bella...hugs to you and the child! Have a great weekend.

Good luck on the new digs...I know you want this.
Sideways Chica said…
Okay...it appears as if Blogger has once again erased (or not allowed) some comments. AGHHHHH!

Please post again if you like and I will get back to you. Also...have a great weekend!

Teri ;)
Anonymous said…
I'm sure that ex-neighbor refused to look at you two again because he was entirely too embarassed by his intrusion. Not to say he had the smarts to realize that he'd overstayed his welcome but he definitely knew he saw a little too much of you that day. ;)
Leann said…
I've never had the neighbor situation happen, but the dashing for the panties incident brought back this memory.....

My husband and I and our small daughter had been transferred to Viginia in the Air Force and we were staying with another couple until our housing came through. One morning everyone had gone off to work and I was walking around the house naked for a glass of water I believe. As I was in the kitchen the husband (not mine) came back to the house for some reason and as I gazed out of the window and realized I was not going to make it back to the bedroom before he came in the front door, well, it paralyzed me for a moment. As I heard his key in the lock I made a mad dash for the bedroom and KNOW he saw my backside dashing across the house. I was sooo embarassed and needless to say nothing was every said to my husband or his wife regarding that little "incident". Thanks for dredging up that particular memory...LOLOL
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...I believe you are correct chica. Even when we didn't say anything, he had to know how we felt. As for seeing too much of me - yes, he most definitely did!

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...what a great story! I bet the husband (not yours)has told his version to a few people (not the wife) too! I'm glad you can have some fun with it.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
fjl said…
I think the best method is to be from and say how you feel. Outline it. otherwise they never clear off. Some people seem to ask to be told.
Debbie said…
I have not have not had this yet, but have had the oppisite. When I moved into the "City" it was the most unfriendly, unnieghborly feeling ever. I knew none of the nieghbors and when ever I said good morning or some other nice greeting there was rarly a response.Matter of fact most people did not make direct eye contact. This was difficult to learn to deal with as I have lived in gerneraly small towns. I only lasted a year and took my behind and the fellow bottoms of my family to the "burb". Can't wait for the intruding neighbor, I need a good story to tell. (hee hee)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL..I agree - outline the rules clearly and put out the boundary markers!

Ciao chica...thanks for stopping in and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...balance is always a good thing. Not overly friendly and not unfriendly! I must caution you chica...be careful what you ask for...you may get it, and then any "angelesque" nakey prancing into the kitchen is out of the question. Or is it?

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Shankari said…
Hey, where did my comment go?

To repeat, dh has this uncle (not old) who lost his wife in a horrific accident- he just can't stay at home by himself- his neighbours are kind to him - but yes, I wonder how long! Just giving a different perspective- some people just need to reach out more - to fill in the voids in their own homes and lives.

But the boundaries need to be set quite clearly.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...yes, we need to open our doors to those in need, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't knock first. :) Just kidding!

Seriously, chica...I agree with you. We have several friends who always "have a pass." I know you have the same...

Thank you for bringing the other side of the menu to the roundtable. You always have something wise to share...

Ciao bella...have a great weekend.

P.S. Blogger is erasing comments again for some reason...usually means they have a database that's getting full, and soon we will be offline. I hope not...
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
What a funny story! Menage a trois...ROTFL. But a good, cautionary tale.

I learned my lesson on this the hard way too. Not a nice situation to be in....

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...so glad you appreciated by bit of "off color" humor. I bet I get a lot of interesting visitors on my site meter!

Happy you learned your lesson too!

Ciao bella...have a good week and keep looking for that light!
Callisto said…
We have had bad neighbours (party after party after party) for the last three years, but I would prefer this to your friendly guy anyday.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callisto...yes, I think so. Wouldn't it would be great without my friendly guy and your party animals?

Here's to a little respect and consideration for our neighbors!

Ciao chica...have a great week. Hope the neighbor's parties are few!
Chris said…
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That was a great story, and not just for the suggestive visuals. And that was a fantastic punchline at the end. Yet another brilliant example of your gift for wordsmithing.

We've had our share of guests who wore out their welcomes, too. We have something of an open door policy with our friends. If we know they're coming over, they can just walk right in when they get there, no need to knock. If we don't know they're coming, they have to knock first. They all understand and respect the distinction. The few times we've had guests or visitors who wear out their welcome, I have found that simply going about our daily routine while they're there was sufficient to drive them out. We simply acted like they weren't there. We did laundry, cleaned the house, read, watched what we liked on TV, etc. In other words, we did not accommodate our "guest" in any way. We didn't kick them out, we simply did not show even the rudiments of hospitality whenever they showed up. Eventually, simple boredom and the "third wheel" feeling drove them out.

Another awesome post, LLS. Sorry I had to wait so long to read it.

And, um, yeah. Thanks for the visual. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhhh...Chris - you did not disappoint me. I was rather proud of that ending and just knew you would appreciate it. Short and not so sweet.

I also knew you would like my suggestive innuendos. You guys never miss a beat, do you? Thank goodness for the predictability - no need for a road map.

Glad you made it by...it wasn't the same without you Friday, but the wait was worth it.

I think your non-accomodating methodology is pretty wise. I will remember it the next time I have guests who get a little stinky. You know the rule; house guests are like fish - after three days they get a little (or a lot) stinky. ;)

Have a great weekend dude.

Ciao for now...
Kelly said…
*covers Chris' eyes* shame on you lad ;) lol

Great story Teri~~ somehow,before I even got here to read your post this weekend~~ I knew you were going to have something about 'butts' in it. ;) LOL

Hope you and yours have a save and fun holiday.~~ Happy Trails!
Debbie said…
hey if they are that hard up to come peeking in me they deserve what they may/may not see.
Sideways Chica said…
Ah Kelly...now I know where the "but" part came in - have a great week chica, you must have had an influence on me - according to Chris, I do believe it was a good one!

Ciao bella...hope you are having a good one!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...what can I say to that? I believe you have a very good point - and you might be sticking to it!

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Reach said…
Hello Teri,
With a new addition to the "electronics" department, in my home, I can now visit on the weekends. I appreciate your words of encouragement, thank you.

I once had a similar experience; however, I the guy walking in my home and the neighbor, female, walked in on me. I thought about running, but decided the momentum would "highlight" my situation. We just smiled to each other and I turned for the nearest doorway.

Have a great weekend,
Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...so glad to see you! I think, given the circumstances, you may have made the right choice...hope the doorway wasn't too far away though. ;)

Ciao buddy...take care and have a great week!
Anonymous said…
It always seems to be an "all or nothing" proposition with these overly-friendly neighbors, doesn't it? Are they just incredibly dense in their loneliness, that they can't see how intrusive they can be? And why is it so hard to say, "Hey, we need some space"? After all, there's a limit to how far "Mi casa es su casa" extends.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Rayn...so right you are! I have learned how easy it is to say (after my little angelesque nakey prancing episode), that "now's not a good time." Short, simple and to the point. Speaking of points, thanks as always, for sharpening my point chica.

Ciao bella...enjoy the week!
Tamarai said…
oh dear. I am always doing the naked dash and avoiding the postman. I must say that is one sure way to make your feelings clear about him not being welcome. I think it was best that you moved, but sad that it had to come to that.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...the nakey dash can be liberating, can't it. Especially if the postman rings twice! ;)

As for moving...no worries. It was definitely for the better. Just another road bump on life's road that actually veered us back on course this time.

Ciao bella...thanks for stopping by. Enjoy!
Enigma said…
Aaaah. I have a neighbor who I was friendly with, shared things with etc. but she and her husband thought they had the authority to do things on my property they did not ask me about previously. That is a big no-no. I am looking into the very same option that you suggested to your friend, moving.

A good story. Some folks need to know/ remember that ultimately respect is the way to go, regardless of how friendly and easy going your neighbor is.

Kita
Sideways Chica said…
You said it Enigma...it's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Ciao bella...thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred