Her cup runneth over…

Summer is usually the most popular time of the year for family reunions. I don’t have a reunion scheduled this year, but many of my friends have already gone and returned, while others are busy preparing physically and mentally for their family gatherings.

Some friends packed their bags and left reluctantly. They viewed their reunion as an obligation. It wasn’t a vacation — it was something they had to do. They fully expected to have a terrible time and they did. As one friend put it, “It’s a short trip to hell, especially when you know your destination.” I guess if we’re expecting the worst, we just may get it — partly because we have inside knowledge and past experience to guide us, and partly because we’re looking for it.

Sure, I recognize the never to be completely understood and sometimes scary dynamics of “family.” I also understand the philosophy behind the phrase “Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.” Nevertheless, family is family — no matter how we try to spin it. Good friends are good friends, but nothing really replaces family — maddening and frustrating though they can be at times. On the other hand, I know several people who have no real family. They long for these family gatherings and reunions that others take for granted. The grass always appears greener on the other side of the fence, especially if the fence represents family.

I write this essay with one special friend in mind. She was dreading her family reunion for a specific reason. She wasn’t worried about sibling rivalry, or that her family might judge her lifestyle choices, or that her husband might not fit in with her family. She wasn’t worried about the size of the mosquitoes she might encounter, nor was she bothered by the high humidity and triple digit temperatures lying in wait at her final destination. She dreaded her reunion because she recently had news that her elderly father had terminal cancer. She feared that this reunion might be the last time she saw him in relatively good health. She also knew that she would have to leave him after the reunion, knowing she might not seem him again before the onset of his illness ravaged his sharp mind and took away his last bit of independence. She knew that her father had lived a long and full life, but regardless of his age, this was her dad and she knew that she couldn’t be there during his final days. She packed her bags and mosquito repellent and left with a heavy heart.

I didn’t hear from this friend while she was gone. I know she is a strong chica on the outside, but her heart is tender. I was concerned that she might have a difficult time coping with the situation. Due to financial commitments and family obligations at home, she couldn’t stay longer than two weeks. I worried that she would be bedside with her father the entire time, beating herself up with guilt because she hadn’t spent much time with him in the last few years. Each day, I sent positive thoughts her way and hoped that she was receiving my signal.

During this same time, I heard from other friends who were attending their reunions. The weather was there and he wished I were beautiful, joked one wise guy. Another friend was stuck in a basement hiding from tornadoes, while others were being eaten alive by bugs they swore could wear saddles and be ridden in a “Ripley’s Believe it or Not” rodeo. One friend complained that all she heard about was what a disappointment she was to her family, and how she never lived up to her potential...and why on earth would she want to live in California, dealing with the traffic and surrounded by the desperate housewives and spoiled children so prominently portrayed on TV. Yes, it’s true. Even some of my friends abroad think that everyone behind the Orange Curtain serves up “margs” in bikinis (even at night), and has a fancy pool house designed for illicit “hooking-up.” I won’t even discuss gardeners here, except to say that entire generations of foreigners now think that a California gardening job comes with wonderful benefits, and I’m not talking about health care.

Two days after my friend with the terminally ill father returned from her trip, I mustered up the nerve to call her. I expected her to be down in the dumps and sad. What a wonderful surprise I encountered. My friend was laughing as she picked up the phone. For the next half an hour, she entertained me with wonderful stories about her trip. She and her siblings “kidnapped” her father and took him (and all of his various medical hook-ups) everywhere he wanted to go for the entire two weeks. This included amusement parks, restaurants and two trips to Wal-Mart. They had backyard barbecues often and then returned her father to his nursing home after his curfew. She laughed at the glee her father took in “breaking” his curfew. This lead them to conversations about the curfews my friend broke as a teenager — and how her brothers and sisters ratted her out. She was tickled that her father weighed in and told her that he always knew — even before the snitches got to him. Every day of her trip was spent making the most of these two weeks with her family, and every evening was spent laughing about their day with bits and pieces of the past interspersed in a positive manner.

Now, one might say that it’s easy to peruse the past in a positive light, when everyone grew up rosy — all warm and fuzzy. I happen to know this isn’t the case. This friend (and her brothers and sisters) had a tough childhood. How then, did her family manage to have such a wonderful time? They were also dealing with the impending death of her father, while feeling the tragic loss of the eldest sister a year ago. How did they laugh about the past when not all of their past was good? Were they wearing rose-colored glasses for the sake of the father? Were they in denial because they didn’t spend every moment sniping (and swiping) at each other about their past? Absolutely not. They were in acceptance — acceptance that their family (with all its imperfections) is the family that was chosen for them. They, in turn, chose to keep their family as friends and confidants no matter their differences. They accepted that not everything turned up rosy, but it did turn up — and they did turn out okay in the end.

Before we ended our conversation that day, I told this friend that I admired her spirit and attitude and that I envied her steadfast loyalty to her family, and her ability to see everything and everyone for what and who they are — in a nonjudgmental manner. This is true. I admire her ability to not cast stones nor dwell on the past. I told her that I did not, however, envy her the 20 or more mosquito bites she brought home as souvenirs. She trumped me yet again. She told me that she knew when and where each of these bites occurred during her trip. She said she would be sad when they were gone...and that she would always remember her father teasing her about her sensitive “California” skin, and telling her that she better get some calamine lotion on those bites before she swelled up like a balloon.

The glass is half-full for this friend and her family...even though each chooses to fill their glass with something different. Her brothers and sisters may be convinced that her glass is half-full with a “marg,” and that’s just fine with her. She knows the truth — her glass is filled to the top with wonderful memories of a great family reunion. In fact, her cup runneth over…

Postscript: There are many people who actually enjoy getting together with their family. Kudos to you! Those people dreading their reunions may want to pick a play from my friend’s play book and have some fun...in spite of yourself, or your brother, or your sister, or your aunt, or your uncle, or you cousin, or your mother, or your father...or your outlaws. Let’s not take ourselves too seriously. Let's embrace the time we have with our families and find some common ground — even if only for a few days every five years or so. We might not know what we’re missing until it’s too late.

One more thing. Tongue biting doesn’t work real well, and can be rather painful. A good friend told me that if all “they” think we do in California is sit around and drink margaritas in our fancy pool houses...then “Let them drink margs!” Yep, she took Margaritaville with her and all of the antagonism from past reunions just “wasted” away.

Dedicated to my “chocolate” friend. Here’s to you chica.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Anonymous said…
I must say that I had no idea there were so many California stereotypes. The things I learn on this blog!

Sage advice for anyone dealing with less than ideal family situations. Thanks for the post. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...one only has to be from California (a native) to know all of the stereotypes. A thousand years ago, when I lived in Madrid, Ronald Reagan (just an ex "B" movie star to my Spanish friends) was getting ready to take over the office of president of the United States. Didn't help that the previous president was a peanut farmer. Spain was a new democracy and this just didn't make sense to my friends there. Boy did I take a lot of ribbing. Interesting how time and location can change perspective. ;)

Oh...and "Dallas" was the only American TV show on in Spain at the time. My friends were all shocked that I did not know who shot J.R. - after all, I was from California, which is where Hollywood is and all of the big studios. And yes, if you came from California they all thought you smoked pot and traveled around in a multi-colored van listening to the Grateful Dead.

So...yes, I am used to the California sterotypes, although I must say I prefer our sterotypes of old vs. the new "desperate" types.

Ciao bella...thanks for the memories. Glad you enjoyed the article. Have a great week.
Tamarai said…
Good for your friend! It's great that she can be so positive about her situation.

My dad has emphysema and not much time left on the clock. He has already reached the stage in which his independence has been taken from him by the disease. I saw him three years ago and he looked healthy and was relatively active. This year, it was a different picture.

I am glad that 3 years ago, I stayed up late with him, I am glad we ate chips (fries) with Worcestershire sauce splashed on them, I am glad I went grocery shopping with him, even though it annoyed me at the time. I am glad we sat in his kitchen and had coffee and cigarettes and chatted about nothing.

This time around, I drove him to the supermarket and watched him get around with a portable oxygen tank. There were no chips and worcestershire sauce. He didn't talk much, but just wanted my presence in the house. He still smokes and we had cigs and coffee as usual and it warmed him that I wasn't angry that he still smoked and that I didn't judge him for it. He was glad that I didn't nag or pester him about it. There was nothing that quitting would do for him now anyway.

The last day of my stay we sat in his study and spoke about conspiracy theories. When I left, I cried like a little child.

But I tell you what, I am grateful for each minute we had, even if we didn't talk and just watched movies on TV.

Each minute was a blessing, as I am sure your friend will attest, and strangely all the hard feelings and rubbish didn't matter anymore.
Chris said…
Once again, you hit me with a very relevant post.

Last week, as I mentioned, I helped my grandmother move. This meant I was spending the day with my parents, my brother and my aunt & uncle (and my grandmother, obviously). Now, I am definitely the goofball of my generation in my family. Family gatherings (of which there are many), usually devolve into a game of "Pick on Christopher". I actually enjoy this, and generally up my goofiness to encourage new heights of "abuse".

I also have many good friends, the family I've made over the years (Hmmm, they usually end up busting my chops too...). They were also present last week, only that particular family was waiting for me at my house when I returned home. I was tired, achy, sweaty and filthy and all I wanted was a shower. Most of them were half-drunk, and just wanted to know where the charcoal was. See, knowing I'd be wiped out, my friends just went ahead and fired up the grill for me, taking charge of the BBQ duties so I could collapse on the couch after my shower.

I don't really have a point here, except to say that I love both of my familes, and feel very blessed to have them in my life. :)

Oh, and I should give a shout out to the newest family I'm building: my network of blogger buddies, who have been a constant source of support and encouragement to me this past year.

Thanks, LLS. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...thank you for sharing with us such a intimate part of your life.

I love your words...

"Each minute was a blessing, as I am sure your friend will attest, and strangely all the hard feelings and rubbish didn't matter anymore."

Wonderful chica. I'm glad you have these memories.

Ciao bella...take care.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris (LLB)...seems as if you hit the jackpot twice! Two great families! ;)

I am intrigued that you write "I am definitely the goofball of my generation in my family." Hmmmmm? It's the "my generation" that gets me. So, which goofy ancestor do you take after? And did you ever meet him or her? I only ask because I have been told the same about myself...

Ciao dude...thanks for showing that the best of both worlds is attainable! Have a great weekend.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...I'm so glad you brought up the "appearance" issue. As you say, there is always someone who focuses on the superficial. I love (not) the comments such as ..."When did you start wearing your hair that way?" Or, "Have you lost weight?," when in fact you've gained weight.

School reunions are another issue completely. I've never gone to any of mine. Not because I dreaded them, but I was always traveling. I really wanted to make it to the 20th...but then they didn't have one. Guess the others weren't that much fun after all. ;)

Ciao chica...enjoy!
Angel said…
Lordy --

I can't think past today hardly, but a family reunion is something else on my planning table as well as a documentary that will include interviews done at the reunion.

Why -- because I want to share my pain. I kiiiddd.

Because people should know that they are not alone in their dysfunctions.

"Dysfunction Junction--- What's your Function?"

Anyone remember those shorts?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel (of the Dawn)...no pain, no gain! ;)

I think the new normal is dysfunction. Actually, I think the old normal was dysfunction as well...people don't care about pretense as much as they used to, and they are more open with their issues - sometimes too open if you ask me! Guess that's one reason why blogging is so popular.

I remember the shorts but I thought it was ... Conjunction junction. What's your function? (Schoolhouse Rock.) Must say, I prefer your version. Sounds like something from Saturday Night Live.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Anonymous said…
It's the oddballs like us who put the "fun" in dysfunctional.

Another beautiful article, Teri. My words of wisdom seem to be taking a vacation this week. Perhaps from too much tongue biting.

Yay for your friend's good time, and yay for the family we choose, and yay for acceptance of what is.

Have a lovely weekend!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Rayn...very good point chica! Here's to the "fun" in dysfunctional!

Also, I've heard that tequila is a good remedy for tongue biting. Wait, or does that loosen the tongue? Oh well, if you find out, please let me know. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy the week!
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
I was thinking "whats so bad about a family reunion" until I read Blue Heron's comment.

A "reunion" with my father's side of the family....er, how shall I say this? Wild horses can definitely drag me to one, but have to keep running behind me to keep me there :D. Weddings in the family were chockful of such people, whom we have to invite or we're breaking Indian tradition. These people delighted in creating controversies for small things, relished asking uncomfortable questions, demanded this that and the other thing for deigning to visit on us. Then they also wanted 'respect' as in deference - when we have just about exhausted all our energies trying to stay non-violent.

Sometimes I thank my stars for staying in the US, far from my father's side relatives :) - and I'm sticking to my stand.

Family is family, though - and to me family is my birth family - defects and all - and a few chosen ones from extended family.

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...good for you! I'm glad you're in the states also. ;)

Thanks also to Blue Heron for sharpening my point and cluing Priya in! I didn't want to put all the bad examples of what can happen at a family reunion in the article...then it might look as if I knew all about it first hand!

Ciao bella...I trust you are reaching for the light. Be well.
Ballpoint Wren said…
I think family reunions were the reason someone invented that rule about the weather being the safest topic for discussion.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...I think you may be right! Good point.

So...how's the weather down your way? It's hot and humid here. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

Yep, acceptance and non-judgment definitely would pretty much guarantee positive results. I don't know this from actual experience, mind you.....but I recognize the wisdom in your friend's approach to her reunion. Now I wish I had a reunion to attend!

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Yes, dear Betty...I knew you would. I thought of you reading this article, as I wrote it. ;)

Here's to acceptance and non-judgement and those positive results.

Ciao bella...take care and have a great weekend with the child.
Kacey said…
Isn't it funny that the family member who has moved to the ends of the earth and not kept in touch, is the big hero at the family reunion? Those who work in the fields daily are in the kitchen cooking for the threshers, when harvest time comes! I just hope that when I get older and become a valuable memory to my family, that they will take me to a better place than "Wallyworld".
Your writings are so great --- I wish you were here. I know you are beautiful!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I'm still laughing! How right you are...not necesarily about the beautiful part, but about the heroes and the threshers!

Here's to finding a better place than Wallyworld!

Ciao bella...thanks as always for being encouraging and supportive, and so darn funny!
Kacey said…
P.S. I forgot to say that when I saw the title, "Her Cup Runneth Over" --- I thought she must have really big tatas. I am so happy that you are not reduced to getting into Oprah's area of expertise. LOL
Sideways Chica said…
Kacey...glad I'm not the only one - I thought of this also. Too much of a cheap shot, although she does have rather abundant tatas!

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Teri,
I understand your friend. As my parents get on in age and seem to be getting more fragile, it is with some fear that when I see them that I will not know whether or not they will be "up" for the gathering of the small clan that we are. They have begun hiding health facts from my sister and I, which scares the two of us. After the visit, we are always elated and happy that whatever we did, we had a good time doing it. Even if all it was was lunch!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...as I said, you may not know what you're missing until it is too late...or gone. Sounds as if you already know this and make every moment count. Good for you chica!

Ciao bella...thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.
Shankari said…
Hi Teri

As time passes and I have lost a few family members, I am so grateful to be a part of these reunions, even if the others don't feel the same way! :p

Am much more tolerant now than was ever.

Thanks for the post.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...kudos to you! Here's to tolerance. It's a good thing!

Ciao chica...have a great week and thanks for stopping by.
Debbie said…
mmmm, chocolate. Did I see chocolate? Oh wait we are discussing families, our own. I think sometimes I would rather have CHOCOLATE!! I just keep hoping I learn what ever it is that I am suppose to learn from the family members in my life. Some are harder to deal with but when you live a few states away it makes it easier. Then there are others who I miss so terribly. Those are the ones who I hate living so far away.
fjl said…
Is the answer that your family are the people you choose, and who choose you in return? Some family are very much dumped on us, I think ;-)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...yes, the chocolate was to "sweeten" the pot! Sounds like you have the normal family, with a bit of both, as in some get on your nerves a bit, and others you love to be around. Glad you handle it well.

Ciao bella...enjoy the chocolate and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...semantics I guess. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Anonymous said…
Dear Teri,
Thanks for the understanding comments. It goes to show ya,that maturity has nothing to do with years. As for "family" I would glady choose you to be part of mine.

Thanks for the "chocolate".
Love ya,
Miz Prinny
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Miz Prinny...You are very welcome chica. Glad you enjoyed the chocolate. ;)

Ciao bella...take care and keep me posted.
Doug Bagley said…
Hey teri,
I'm finally back online and will have a fresh post Monday as usual.
Thanks for your patience.
Me said…
i love family reunions..i wish we have more of them. there are not enough occasions to get together with the family. i adore my in laws family, they love each other so much but they also love to gossip about each other with every little thing, the funny thing is that they all trust me and tell me things about the others and ask me to keep the secret, which i do faithfully ,i like to stay neutral and at peace with everyone, and most of all, i do not like to hurt their feelings. I love them all , they are genuine and full of real goodness.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...glad you are back. Missed your testosterone. ;)

Ciao dude...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...ah, yes. The gossip. Always entertaining, but only if we stay neutral, as you say. ;)

Here's to genuine and full of goodness!

Ciao bella...take care.
Sideways Chica said…
Okay everyone. I had a meeting that lasted until very late. I will post my new article in the morning. I am too tired to post and tweak now...but never fear, the article is ready, but I'm not. ;)

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred