If we only knew then...

Remember when our children asked our opinions — and took our advice? Better yet, remember when we just told them what to do? That was that — end of discussion: eat your peas, drink your milk, go to bed, wear a jacket, curfew at 11:00, no driving with friends, and don’t talk back. It was all so easy then, wasn’t it? Actually, I bet we all thought it was difficult at the time and it just seems easier in retrospect. As kids grow up, their issues grow accordingly. As they get older, we have to keep reminding ourselves that they aren’t kids anymore. They are adults — at least they are according to the laws governing our nation. However, this doesn’t mean that they act like adults or even think like adults. It certainly doesn’t mean that parents are ready to let go of parenting.

When the word “adult” is used as a noun, it means one who has attained maturity or legal age. When used as an adjective, it means fully developed and mature. Even the various definitions of this word are at odds with one another. One can be physically mature, and an adult according to the law, but just because one is fully developed biologically it doesn’t meant that he or she is emotionally mature. I know people in their 40s and 50s who haven’t matured emotionally yet, and probably never will. They are kids at heart. Peter Pans, if you will.

Currently, I have several friends struggling with some of the life choices their “kids” have made. One friend is heartbroken over her son’s choice to brand his skin — the skin she lovingly protected from sun and scars for many years — with tattoos. Another is upset about the careless way in which her daughter lives her life — as in one day at a time with no worries or plans for the future. Yet another friend is concerned about the wife his son is about to choose. I would guess that every one of these “kids” has told their parents that it’s their life, and that they’re happy. They’ve probably thrown their parents words right back at them, as in “you always told me you just wanted me to be happy. Well, I’m happy! Isn’t that what matters?” Hmmm...if they only knew now what we know now. Wait a minute. We didn’t know then what we know now. Or did we? Has life and the world changed so much that we actually had all the answers back when we were in our 20s? Or did we get the answers from our parents? Did we acknowledge that our parents were older, wiser and that we could learn from their experiences — and not have to experience everything firsthand? Some of us probably gave our parents the same pain in the hiney that our kids are giving us now. I guess it depends upon our age, our generation, and our parents.

Let me think back. Was my mother happy with everyone I dated? Not so much. Was she happy with the man I ultimately married? Hard to say, she didn’t weigh in, which means that no matter how much she adores my husband now (and she does), she probably had some valid reasons for concern back then. He was a lot older than I was, he had been married before, and had had young children. Yes, he had baggage, but so did I. Yet, my mother never said a word. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that my husband and I had a secret marriage ceremony and told no one in advance of our plans. We didn’t do this to silence any naysayer or to avoid the advice of loved ones — but I guess that’s how it worked out in the end. Thank goodness it worked out well. It’s not always a bed of roses, but it’s always the same bed no matter what — thorns and all.

My mother did steer me clear of some bad relationships, even if I didn’t want to hear (or believe), what she had to say back then. It was also my mother who insisted that I finish college instead of returning to Spain and Portugal to become whatever I thought I would become back then.

What if I had stayed in one of those bad relationships? What if I had returned to Spain and not finished my degree? Would I still be me? Yes, but I wouldn’t be the same me. I believe that we become who we are through our own life experiences. Would I be happy today or happier than I am now? I can’t answer this because I chose door number three, not door number one. My point is that even if I had been in a bad relationship for a long period of time, and even if I had gone to Spain, not finished college and made another life, I still wouldn’t have any regrets. At least not any valid regrets. How can I regret what I don’t know? I couldn’t know then that I was going to meet my husband — or that he would be ten years older, divorced with two young children, and that I would spend most of my life in Southern California behind the Orange Curtain. If I were counting regrets instead of living my life, perhaps I would focus (or obsess)on the fact that my husband had a vasectomy and we never had children together. I don't. The only time this issue ever hits my radar is when other people tell me that it should bother me. When this occurs, the only thing that bothers me is the people telling me what should bother me…as if they know. I always assumed I would have my own biological children, but that wasn’t behind door number three. Furthermore, I don’t know if it was behind door number one or door number two, because I didn’t choose those doors. I could play the “coulda woulda shoulda” game forever. We all could, but why should we? Moreover, why should we play it for our children? Will we still love them if they’re covered in tattoos? I guess it depends upon the tattoos, but probably yes. Will we still love them if they live their life for the moment and not for the future? I guess it depends on if we're financially supporting the moments — and still, the answer is probably yes. Will we still love our children if they marry someone we don’t think is the right mate…and if it ends up in a divorce? I guess it depends upon how stubborn we are, but yes, we will probably still love them and any of the grandchildren that come our way. We shouldn’t confuse disappointment with love. We shouldn’t live life in fear of disappointment. We shouldn’t expect others to agree with our definitions of love, disappointment or happiness.

It may seem as if I am taking the “kid’s” side. Perhaps I am. Perhaps I remember what it was like to be at the kid’s table — faced with these decisions, and feeling these emotions and desires. Perhaps I remember some of the doors I locked because someone else didn’t think that these were the right doors for me. Perhaps I remember doors that I opened just because someone told me not to open them. But maybe, just maybe, I have faith that whatever door we choose is the door we were meant to choose at that time, regardless of the consequences.

Please don’t think I’m advocating tattoos, eloping, or living life with no future plans. I’m not. I’m only remembering what it was like to be a “kid,”or more accurately, a young adult. I’m not saying that every marriage will turn out great. I don’t even know if I have a great marriage. I only know that it works for my husband and me, and that’s what matters. My main point is that even if we take a path that doesn’t get us where we want to be, or where we thought we were going, it doesn’t mean we took the wrong path...we just took a detour. Thank goodness for all my detours; they led indirectly to my husband and my boys. Hmmm? I guess in hindsight mother did know best about that degree, and Spain, and all those bad relationships. One of these days, I’ll have to tell her. I’m sure she doesn’t agree with the many detours I took, or all the doors I chose to open, or the many doors I chose to ignore. She does know that I’m happy, and this makes her happy. After all, she was only worried about my happiness and wellbeing. I know this now, as I worry about the happiness and wellbeing of my boys...biological or not. So, I wonder — if I knew then what I know now, would I still take the same detours? Would I open the same doors? Would I still choose to ignore doors two and three? What do you think?

Dedicated to me…for actually taking the time to think about the past for a moment, but only for a moment. Now, it’s time to cart some more trash out to the curb. The trash man cometh...

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Chris said…
WooHoo! I'm first today! :)

Anyway, another fantastic post. I think our 20s (or our early 20s, at least) is the time when we're supposed to get tattoos, live for the moment and date the wrong people. We all have to go through these things sometime, and it looks way more ridiculous when you try to do it in your 40s.

As you say, these are the detours and distractions that make us who we are. This is how we actually grow into adults and figure out what to do, by learning (often the hard way) what NOT to do.

Another great one, LLS. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris (LLB)...once again we are on the same page. Some lessons are difficult, some lessons take a while to sink in, and some lessons are never learned. Some lessons are with us forever and constant reminders of our willful youth (like those tattoos).

Now I wonder...no, I better not ask. Heck, why not? What type of tattoo did you get in your 20s? And where is it?

Ciao dude...have a great week. Glad you were first!
Tamarai said…
I often wonder what was behind door one and two myself. I am happy with my life and I am not going to imagine what it may have been. I agree that we are where we are because that's how it is meant to be. At the end of the day, I am a happy woman, with a female partner and a fresh tattoo.

Oh... and this is off topic, but I got it in an email today and it stuck with me because of your duck essay:

Why do ducks have webbed feet?
To put out fires.

Why do elephants have flat feet?
To put out burning ducks.
Teri,
I love it! We all worry about our kids, no matter what their age. I know my dear, wonderful parents wonder about choices my sister and I make even now. She sighs when I tell her of some of our older "child's" decisions. She wonders "why don't you say something?"-albeit out loud, to me.
My response, we all need to vent, but as you pointed out, we raise them to be independent adults. We can give our opinion (where the pick you situations comes into play)but we need to let them live their lives, ultimately they either admit to the world or themselves that they are wonderful decision makers or that they goofed!
But it is their choice and if we're wise-we vent to our "girlfriends" and significant others and then SHUT UP!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...here's to you, a happy woman!

I'm glad you understand my point...as in how can we have regrets about something that may never have turned out as we imagined, or desired.

Watch out for those flat footed elephants chica! Not all of them may know the difference between a swan and a duck! You, are definitely a swan. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...I thought you might get a kick out of this one - especially the tattoo bit!

Thanks for weighing in and sharpening my point.

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Kacey said…
Barbra Streisand has a song called "If I Could" --- which is a lovely thing about how we would do anything for our children; "I would teach you all the things I've never learned, I would help you cross the bridges that I've burned ---but, the part of life I gave you isn't mine, I've watched you grow, so I could let you go".

We, as parents, have to open our hands and allow our children to fly freely in the hopes that they will return to us, when they are older and finally as wise as we. Perhaps, we should be grateful that they are born tiny and unable to run away from us for the first few years.

My oldest daughter is having a difficult time allowing me to express opinions as a friend and separating them from scrutiny as her parent. Fortunately, love comes from our hearts, not our brains.
Me said…
"We shouldn't’t confuse disappointment with love." this sums it all!!

all i want for my kids is to be happy.whatever decision they decide on, i accept.i believe in fate and know that it was meant to be. i trust their judgment. i support and respect their wishes. this does not mean that i am a passive parent, but i value their decisions and trust that they know whats best for them and all i have to do is love them always no matter what!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...wonderful, beautiful, so true to life. I remember this song now, and it speaks to my point, as do you, perfectly.

Your children are lucky - and I bet they know this, even if they have a hard time adjusting to the "friendship" of parents that only comes with time, and a job well done by the parents. Kudos to you for your big, wonderful and beautiful heart that sees so much and loves unconditionally.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...how wonderful that you picked out my favorite line of this entire essay!

Your children have the good fortune of having you as their guiding light to find their independence and make their own choices.

Here's to your unconditional support and encouragement to your bambinos chica. You have the confidence to let them go forth and do as they please, because you know that you taught them well. Now, it's time to spoil those grandbabies isn't it?

Ciao bella...have a great week and know that I am thinking of you and your family and all that you are going through at this time.
Me said…
Thanks, you too have a great weekend and stay out of the heat. it is boiling hot here in the chicago area..maybe i will go to the beach if the kids do not come and visit!!
Sideways Chica said…
Back at you Summer ;)
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
We all have those woulda coulda shoulda moments. I'm reminded of a friend's story. Many years ago, she'd said no to a few men who were perfectly decent as friends, treated her well - and for whom she cared - just, not in the romantic way.

She heard endlessly from her mom on why oh why did she not marry one of those guys...whether she was shallow and stupid. Look how you ended up with a loser ex-spouse, her mom told her. Well - parents know just how to push our buttons.

A few years later when she'd gained some wisdom and some battlescars, she was again presented with one of the coulda's.....and decided to try it out (all those ringing voices in her head, you see!). And understood why she couldn't in the first place. Sans the chemistry, none of it felt right - or appropriate....Felt like attempted romance with a brother - was her take on that. One cannot decree one's heart to feel a certain way...even if logic is in favor of a course of action.

What I'm trying to say is - sometimes our instincts are right in the first place. And sometimes they aren't. Such is life.

But that's not to say its not scary to think of my daughter one day making her own decisions *shudder* :)

Priya.
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,
Wow, is this thought-provoking! I certainly believe you chose all the "right" (or "best possible")doors, judging by the fact that you now find yourself with a happy, fun, creative, useful and love-filled life.

Regarding my own door choices, I'm not so sure. As you know, I had some doors to choose from this past week, and I chose the door I'm already using. Is this a missed opportunity or sage financial restraint? Like you, I do have the option of ignoring that non-answerable question. Thank you for showing me that.

Lots of hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...I wrote a few weeks agai that the heart sees what the heart sees. I believe this and I believe there is a reason we choose as we do. If your friend had passed on the not so wonderful Ex Spouse, she would always wonder if she made a mistake, because she only found out he was lousy by choosing him. ;)

Yes, other people know which buttons to push and it's up to us to decide if the buttons are operational or not.

Ciao bella...hope you have a bit more light in your life these days. I think of you often
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...we can never know what we can never know. It's that simple and it's that complicated. Where we go with the choices that we've made is up to us...red light, green light, caution light, or even flashing red light. ;)

By the way, you didn't close that door, you just put a door stop down, which can be removed at any time.

Ciao chica...hugs to you and the child.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...R E S P E C T! Sing it sister. Such sage and wonderful advice. Here's to your grandparents, and here's to you!

I love your animal analogy. I've always found a certain irony in the saying: Human beings are the only animals that need "motivation" to live.

Here's to the wonderful animal kingdom. May we take a few plays from their wild playbook!

Ciao bella...hope all is well in your kingdom. Have a great week.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
I'm touched by your thoughtfulness. I don't know about light, but my kid is back (woohoo). Holding her makes me feel more human....and I'm thankful to have her back. As always, I am careful not to lean on her. My struggles are mine - she has a right to be a kid.

Have a great weekend,
Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...have fun and enjoy. I know you will enjoy the time with your "kid." Take care chica.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...sounds so wonderful. Wish I were going with. I love turtles also. They have always been a favorite. I particularly love the big sea turtles. Some day I will tell my "turtle" story. ;)

Enjoy Chica, enjoy!
Big Dave T said…
Howdy, howdy. I find that my adult kids (early 20s) seem to listen to our advice more now that they are passed the adolescent stage. What was Mark Twain's comment about his father being so dumb he couldn't stand him, when Twain was 13, but how much smarter his father seemed as he got older. Very relevant here.

Hea, if you get a chance, check out my latest blog, as it relates somewhat to your blog here. I'll be interested in your comment.
Sideways Chica said…
Hey Big Dave T ... that Mark Twain quote was a favorite of my mother- in-law. I tried to work it in...but glad I didn't so that you could sharpen my point. Thanks. I will most definitely stop by and see you.

Ciao dude...have a great week!
Kacey said…
Teri, you cute thing --- I forgot to mention that I put up a blog about my childhood this week, but they dated it in June, because that is when I managed to get the picture over here from PhotoBucket. Check it out if you have a minute.
Shankari said…
What a whopper of a post!

Best of all (and I liked all), I loved the dedication to yourself!

To Teri, the proposer of happy women! :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I will head over tomorrow and check it out. I always love when you post something new. Today I have so much to do that I am already late for bed before it's time to actually go to bed. I bet you know what I mean. ;)

Ciao bella...hope you are enjoying your Sunday.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...thank you! I am thrilled that you "got" the dedication.

Ciao bella...have a fantastic week, no matter what!
Leann said…
Hi Teri,

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and we are predestined to follow a life path. I would not trade any experience for the lack thereof. I like who I am because of what I've gone thru.

My own children....how difficult it is to watch them make mistakes and ignore what you say, however each makes their own choice and ends up where they need to be.

I so get tired of hearing my own mother say "You should do this or that" in relatioship to raising my children. They are independent adults (albight perhaps not mentally adult like always) and will have to life with the consequences of each action.

Would I have traded any experience to not have it....NEVER
Sideways Chica said…
Good for you Leann! It's the words "you need to" that send shivers up my spine. ;)

Sounds like you are adjusting just fine and have grown from your recent experiences. If we don't experience, we don't grow, if we don't grow, then we...well, you get my point. Your children are fortunate that you have this philosophy. I bet they know that they have to figure it out...or not!

Ciao bella...take care and have a great week.
Angel said…
Oy--

Kids.

Can't even begin to understand where we start and they end.

What a week, what a kid.

I can only cross my fingers and hope I did the right things.

Thanks for making me remember I'm not alone.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel (of the Dawn)...ditto on the "Oy."

Kacey says it better than I...

"'I've watched you grow, so I could let you go.' We, as parents, have to open our hands and allow our children to fly freely in the hopes that they will return to us, when they are older and finally as wise as we."

I only have one fear...mine will return wiser! Seriously, I am sure you did the right thing...because you did it chica.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Doug Bagley said…
As always, your blog is thought provoking with good things to think about.
My sons are all adults now and for the most part have been good decisions. But the times I don't like their decisions I pretty much keep my mouth shut and do a lot of praying, lol. Seems to have worked well so far.
Thanks again for the thoughts.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...if your son's have just half of your sense of humor, they'll be okay.

Thanks for dropping in...ciao.
I enjoyed that post! Well-written and thoughtful. It discusses a lot of the same issues as another article called Big Bad Dad, which you would probably enjoy.

To Love, Honor and Dismay
-
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Andrew...thank you and welcome to my roundtable. I'll check your site out...sounds intriguing.

I post a new article every Friday. Hope to see you again.

Ciao for now...Big Bad Dad!
Anonymous said…
Hello again,
I loved the article. I think all of our parents did a great job. They didn't kill us in the first 5 years or so. Maybe some regret that they didn't at times, you know, the old "I brought you into this world, I can take you out." I think as women, we raise our children with our hearts, hopeing that we did our best to give them all the things we felt were lacking in our own upbringing. Recently my husband tried to insult me by saying "You're just like your Mother"., to which I replied "thank you".

I know all this will make sense to you. Love you Chica.
Miss Prinny
Thank you so much for visiting To Love, Honor and Dismay and for welcoming me to your roundtable! C'mon back anytime ... the key is under the front mat and I'll leave a light on for you.
Anonymous said…
My mother is riddled with regrets about my childhood, and she frequently apologizes to me for it. I've tried to help her understand that everything I've lived through, including the "bad" choices that *I've* made (for which she blames herself), have made me the woman that I am today. And I'm learning to like me, so I'm able to let go of my regrets. It is my hope that I can let them go enough so that I don't smother my own children with them. While I want my children to have a better childhood than mine, I also know that it won't guarantee them a life of happiness, so it is my job to give them the tools they need to make their own decisions, and hope that they can be content or satisfied, and at best, even happy with the doors they choose to open.

Teri, you've given me a great deal to think about this week, as I've realized that I'm quite between the "kid" side and the "parent" side. It took me a bit longer than the legal age to actually grow up.

Have a great week, Teri!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Miss Prinny...yes, of course I understand. Thank you for sharpening my point. If we all do the best we can, with all we have, then we can do no more.

Ciao bella...take care and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Jarcened...I think I get your point, as in just because it's not one person's cup of tea, doesn't mean another person won't like it. ;)

As for the online dating...if it works for you, great! I am of the Heinz 57 ideology...which is tolerance and respect for the lifestyle choices of others (within reason, of course.) Having said that, I realize we could spend hours debating each person's view of what "within reason" means. Ah well, that's life.

Welcome to my roundtable...I post a new article every Friday.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Rayn...you constantly amaze me. Your life and experience mirrors mine at times. Plus, you always sharpen my point.

I am sure that with the great sensibility and sensitivity you have that your children will grow up into phenomenal adults. ;) Plus, with your love of life to guide them, how could they not find happiness?

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Andrew...back at you! My readers are pretty good at hitting the name link on comments and visiting my other reader's sites, so no need to put an active link in your comment. ;)

Having said that, everyone be sure to check out Andrew's site...

Ciao for now...and thanks for joining in.
Hi! Thanks once again for dropping by my place. Since we seem to be going back and forth (and enjoying the ride) would you consider a link exchange?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Andrew...

Link away and thank you.

Ciao...

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred