Or so it appears...

Are we as we perceive ourselves to be, or as others perceive us to be? I think this is an interesting question, and I have no answer other than to say that maybe we’re a bit of both. If others perceive us to be something other than who we think we are, then perhaps we have done something or said something to make them perceive us as who we want to be...or conversely, who we are afraid of becoming.

I ponder these thoughts with a smile — a wry smile — of amusement and bemusement. I recently told my 9-year-old nephew that I was coming to visit him and his family. It happens that my trip coincides with his birthday, which will be celebrated with a party, of course. When he heard I was coming, he immediately told me that his party was going to be special. From the invitations I receive each year, I thought every birthday party he had was special. It seems this one is going to be a bit more grown up — maybe. He’s planning an “American Idol” party, complete with a contest and judges. He asked if I would be a judge, and followed up with... “You can be Paula Abdul.” As I remained silent for a moment, he asked if I was still on the line. I assured him that I was, and then told him that I would be delighted to be a judge. After I hung up the phone, I had an interesting conversation with myself. I wondered why he asked me to be a judge — more specifically, the Paula Abdul judge. Was it just because I’m female? Was it because I have long dark hair? Or, does he think I’m loopy and kooky, as she appears to be on the show? Note that I used the word “appears.” I have no way of knowing if Ms. Abdul is acting or presenting millions of homes with the real thing each night. I don’t care what her story is and I don’t watch the show, but I do care about how my nephew perceives me to be. Why? Because I’m human, female, and self-doubts and insecurities come with the territory. It’s true that I rarely care what other people think of me, but this was my nephew. For some reason this little scenario hit a chord that kept playing over and over in my head, like a bad song you just can’t stop humming, no matter how hard you try.

Eventually, I stopped talking to myself and had some laughs about this with my husband. We decided that being Paula Abdul for an afternoon could have some benefits. One being that I could have a few cocktails and no one would be the wiser. Everyone would assume that I was just acting...or at least I hoped so. Enough. I wasn’t going to over analyze a 10-year-old child’s birthday party, but I was going shopping for a Paula Abdul outfit. I need to dress appropriately, or rather inappropriately for the occasion, don’t I?

I thought I had let this perception issue go. Then, a few days later, I posted an article titled "What's in a name?" I described an evening of surreal proportions and thought that I got the point across that this was a unique party and not something that occurs on a regular basis, at least not in my life. The comments from readers on this article were enlightening. It seems that I made people think about their personal “name” and identity issues, just as I had thought about mine. Somewhere down the line, I saw a few comments that noted what a magical and interesting life I lead, and what interesting friends I must have. Back I went to the perception issue again, but not before telling a few of my friends who had read these comments to get over themselves...that they're really not that interesting.

So I ask once again — are we who we perceive ourselves to be, or as others perceive us to be? I couldn’t get this out of my head, so I asked some one of my friends to describe herself to me, as she perceived herself to be. I told her to ignore physical attributes and stick with personalities, and characteristics. This friend, whom I believe is very stubborn and rarely acquiesces to the wishes of others, told me that she gives in easily and compromises too much. Hmmm? The Paula Abdul thing smacks me in the head again — hard enough to give me a headache. I finally gave up, took an aspirin and filed this article under “in progress.” Then, I packed my bags, gave myself a pedicure and headed out on a vacation in the sunny dry heat of Palm Desert.

If one is mulling over perceptions and appearances, a desert resort in California is the perfect place to sit back, relax and watch the show. After a few days by the pool, I decided to do a little research, with my friend as a willing partner. We would select a few unsuspecting “subjects” and see if we could guess their stories strictly by appearances and perception.

Let’s start with the Poser. My friend and I nicknamed this Sam Elliot look-alike and retro lifeguard wannabe the “Poser” on our third day. He was just too cool for words. He would casually stroll around our pool, stop at the bar, light a smoke...and all without sitting down or getting wet for over an hour. Then just as casually, he would stroll back to another pool area not to be seen for another hour or so. He always had his cell phone clipped to his perfect old-school board shorts. I guess I first noticed him because he was mildly attractive as in an “I know I’ve seen this guy somewhere before” way, as in 30 years ago at Huntington Beach on the life guard tower. The pool that the Poser would eventually wander back to was called commonly referred to as the “kids” pool. This area had mazes and water slides and so many blow-up floaties in the pool that I couldn’t imagine anyone without kids venturing in...even for a short visit. The second thing that made me notice the Poser was the incongruity of the cell phone clipped to his board shorts. The last detail that made this guy hit my radar was his perfect, dare I say “feathered” hair. It was never wet or messy, not even in the 100 degree temperatures. That’s right, he never stepped in the pool to cool off and he never broke a sweat.

After lunch one day, my friend hypothesized about his story. She thought he was here on a guy’s trip and was looking for a hook-up. I ventured that the wife and kids were at the other pool and that he stopped in at our pool to check in on his girlfriend, or girlfriends, via cell phone back home. Seems my friend and I were on the same page...however sordid. My husband was amused with our stories and suggested that maybe the Poser was just trying to do business and check in with his office in a quiet area or clear his head of the shrills and screams from the kid’s pool. We never actually saw the Poser talking on the phone, only listening. While my husband’s theory was probably the most likely, and certainly spoke volumes about my friend's and my trust issues, it wasn’t nearly as entertaining our stories were. I think we may have given the Posers hypothetical “girlfriends” names. Okay, I know we did — Itsy and Bitsy, a blonde and a redhead.

We wondered how this poor guy would feel if he knew what we were thinking about him as he strolled and posed and kept his cool while the rest of us looked like drowned rats. Probably not too happy. Then we laughed at what other people may be thinking about us, as in my husband, my friend, and me. We certainly appeared to be enjoying ourselves. Did others think we were all together…as in all three of us together? We also we wondered which of us was the most perceptive when it came to the Poser’s story. Let’s say my husband was right. Does this mean that the Poser purposely projects himself in a way to make others view him as a player? Does he want to be thought of as a player, even if he isn’t? Maybe he’s just a nice guy who never gives his appearance, nor attire, a thought…and he just happens to look and act like a player. Could it be that my friend and I were completely off track? Of course, we could be wrong. Appearances can be deceiving — we all know this. This guy could be happily married and completely devoted to his wife and kids without any lecherous thoughts of hooking up or extramarital affairs in his future. Possible, but not likely. How do I know? Perhaps it was the way he acted as if he didn’t see any of the poolside hard-bodies, without missing an inch. Perhaps it was the pick-up line he finally tried on a young hard-body at the bar the night before he checked out. Certainly, it was the detached way he treated his wife and children — which I finally saw, as they packed their bags and floaties into their SUV and headed out as one big not so happily ever after family.

Now, you may be thinking that my friend and I were acting pretty catty...and judgmental. If you’re not, you should be. Once again, let me explain. We weren’t really judging. We were hypothesizing. I don’t usually sit around looking at others, wondering what goes on behind their closed doors. I considered this research. I started this perception game so that I could finish this article and find some closure about my own Paula Abdul issue. I also wanted to prove a point. I was successful on our last day at the resort.

Let’s go back to our second-to-last day. There was a nice-looking man in his 40s sitting poolside with two younger children and a darling young woman in her late teens or early 20s. My friend speculated that he must be divorced or separated...and that the young beauty couldn’t be his wife, nor the mother of his children. She witnessed the father and young woman affectionately hugging and cavorting in the pool. The kids called him dad and her by name — not mommy. I glanced over and remarked that they appeared to be having fun and that maybe the young girl was the nanny. My friend remarked that the young girl was obviously his “girlfriend” and that she was young enough to be his daughter...or “niece.” The next day, I was working in the morning and didn’t make it to the pool until after lunch. As I approached my chaise lounge (the one I had staked claim to all week), my friend immediately informed me that she was wrong about the “girlfriend/niece.” I glanced over and saw an attractive older woman, about the age of the man, sitting with man and his “niece.” It seems this older woman was the wife of this man, and that the girl young enough to be his daughter was...well, she was their daughter. We laughed with a bit of shame and embarrassment at our incorrect assumption, and then we put our “perception,” or “misperception” game away. We were one for two and this proved my point. The odds were against us.

It’s dangerous to bet on perceptions — our own, or others. What you see is not always what you get. We shouldn’t jump to conclusions and we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover…even if the cover looks like a poser or a niece. From now on, if I see what I perceive to be a poser, or a niece, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. It’s not my business anyway. In return, I hope others will extend me the same courtesy. If my nephew wants me to be Paula Abdul for a day, then I’ll be Paula Abdul for a day — without worrying about why he chose me to play the ditz and what others may think. Besides, it could have been worse. He could have asked me to be Simon Cowell. If this had happened, I might have wondered if he perceived me to be arrogant, obnoxious and masculine. As I said, I’m human and female. Furthermore, when I write, I write what I want others to read. I focus on what I come across in my life that I think will be of interest to those who tune in. It’s not that my life is extraordinarily interesting, it’s not. I’m just a sideways chica with a different way of “seeing” things, and I can tell a good story...or so it appears.

“Men in general judge more from appearances than from reality. All men have eyes, but few have the gift of penetration” ~Niccolo Machiavelli

Postscript: Things are not always as they seem. Just because someone appears to be something does not make it so. Just because we think of ourselves one way, does not preclude others from thinking of us differently. Glass houses again. Be careful with those stones and assumptions. You know what they say — to assume can easily make an “ass of U and Me.”

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Sideways Chica said…
Dear Readers...

As I am busy getting ready to leave town very early Friday morning, I thought I would post early and let you weigh in as you wish.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy. I will check in as I can.

Ciao chicas and dudes... ;)
Kacey said…
Teri with an "i"---I'd be willing to betcha that your nephew (being only nine) sees you as the female figure with an "i" for knowing what's what. Little does he know that you don't want to play the only "boob" on the show. As for perceptions....they are the things we project as we amble through life. For a really good time, go sit in the mall and watch the world parading past. There was a song in the fifties ...."Standing on the corner, watching all the world go by, standing on the corner, giving all the girls the "i", whoops, I meant eye!"
Oh, yeah, if you are going to be Paula---keep your hands off the little boys!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...very funny chica! I guess I must project a little Paula if what you say is true. My oh my. Maybe it's just because I'm so hip compared to the other adults in his life. Hope my relatives aren't reading this one - oh well, it's true, even if I do say so myself...and I do. ;)

I know that song well...my father used to play it and whistle a long with it.

No worries about the boy toys...I have always gone for the older men.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Me said…
Teri. great post as usual....i am glad you posted it early, i was waiting ALL week for your article. thanks! i love to make assumptions about others..but to myself only. we project ourselves as we want others to see us or know us..we take great details into our looks, the way we behave and the way we treat others..we make our image looks good and sometimes not so good, especially if we want to make a first impression on anyone, at least i do take care of these little details. i could go on forever about how we perceive ourselves and how others perceive us but i get you my friend. you have to let us know how it went playing Paul Abdul at the party...i bet you did great, it does not take much to play her character i think! i am sure your nephew chose you to be Paula because he thinks you are hip and beautiful. have fun and a great weekend.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...thank you. I will be playing Ms. Abdul this Saturday, and I will let you know how it goes. As for the details...isn't that the truth - everything is in the details. ;)

I'm so happy you enjoy my musings here...someday I hope to have them in print. Until then...I will leave you to your assumnptions and perceptions, which I'm sure hit the mark most of the time.

Ciao bella...thanks for "getting" me. Have a great week.
fjl said…
I think when we're at our happiest is when we don't have time to wonder what others might think of us, and we have to move on quick, through the day. Someone will interrupt us and tell us we're stunning. :-)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...good sentiment. I better run...lots to do. Busy, busy, busy...and for the most part, happy! Paula Abdul, you better watch out!

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Good for you Blue Heron! And thanks for the kind words. ;)

Ciao for now you busy chica...
Anonymous said…
Great article Teri! I don't care what anyone says.. EVERYONE cares what other people think of them at some point in time or another, and if they don’t then it might benefit them to start thinking about it. I personally don't much care what strangers think of me but you bet I care what my friends and family think.

I liked your experiment with your friend. It's so interesting the way we perceive ourselves and the way others perceive us. Sometimes it really does pay off to care what others think, because you just might learn something interesting about yourself you never knew before. I think that is called growth. When you can take what another person thinks and apply it to you life and grow and change. Then again, it's a fine line to ride, because not all criticism is helpful. We humans have so many other issues tied in with our perceptions of others, like jealousy and envy, which can really warp our view. Usually when I find I don't like someone I ask my self "why?" If I say it's because they are a know it all I then ask myself "why does that bother me?" and almost always I end up with the answer "because it makes me feel inferior" I then realize that’s their whole intent, and it's their intent to make themselves feel superior. I then understand, and feel sorry for them and my inferior feelings fade.
Criticism is a hard line to decipher. It can be challenging to know what to keep and what to take out with the trash.
Have a great week Teri and smile!:)
Teri, another great one. People watching and making up stories about what we think we're witnessing is always fun. My husband and I did it in New Orleans, but we must have sounded pretty nice! A couple who had been listening to use comment about the crowds, finally turned to us and said "you aren't from around here are you?" No, we replied, we asked if it was our "accents". "no, but you were being way to kind about what was passing by to be one of us!"
That said volumes....
Have a great weekend!
Carine
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Regina...hey there chica. Nice to have you back. I see from your comment that you understand my point! Yes it is sharp...and so are you. I love what you say about the "inferior" issue and the motive of the know it alls.

Ciao bella...and thanks for sharpening my point. Have a great week
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...I bet you and your husband are "the nice couple!" Good for you, and yes it was fun speculating.

Ciao bella...have a great week. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Okay everyone...I'm off to be Paula! I will check in over the weekend. Until then, please leave your comments, discuss amongst yourselves, and I will most definitely get back to each and every one of you when I can. I am eager to read all of your comments.

Ciao for now...don't worry, be happy!
Tamarai said…
Interesting.

I was told by a friend that in my old job they used to call me The Pit Bull behind my back because I was outspoken and didn't let people get away with put downs and cheap tricks.

And I always thought of myself as weak and allowing others to walk all over me.

I guess that people surprise us sometimes, but not as much as we sometimes surprise ourselves.

A lot to think about there, Teri. You've done it again!
Shankari said…
Am guilty of skimming through life and most people through, but it is when things aren't necessarily what they appear to be that one stops and doesn't wish to move on...

I, definitely, am not all what I appear to be! :)
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
Here's an example of assumption/perception for you. I read your full article, but was pondering about Mr.Player as I finished up my reading.

Then I came upon the quote:
“Men in general judge more from appearances than from reality. All men have eyes, but few have the gift of penetration”

With Mr.Player still on my mind, I did a double-take at "gift of penetration" :D. A few secs later it dawned on me that the quote was about the eyes the eyes.

Ah.

Priya-grinning-sheepishly-but-hopelessly.
Reach said…
Teri,
your article so effectively illustrated the general misperceptions we have and hold on others; however, I must wonder how many people equally have and hold misperceptions of themselves? I find, even in my years on this planet, I am still meeting/learning myself as my desires and pleasures continually change.
Additionally, knowing you and Mr. (by the way how is his leg doing) have dated, your nephew has paid the compliment to Mr. "F". After all, Ms Abdul did date a "Prince"- well of sorts and so have you. Oh, and also again, does this mean you will be dancing or leading a cheer at this party? OK, maybe some singing?

Reach
Ballpoint Wren said…
Dear Paula—I mean, TERI—I think your nephew sees you and Ms. Abdul as the most glamorous member of any crew.

And why, oh why, did you not talk your man into sidling up to the Poser and finding out what his story was?

You need to hang out at the pool with Hubby and me! The two of us are much too nosy to let an interesting character like Mr. Poser get by without getting the real dirt on him.
Debbie said…
Priya- so glad to see it was not only me!

I would have to agree with Regina here as yes everyone cares what others think, if we like to admit it or not. first impressions are important, in most cases. And what others think does effect us (as far as we let them). What matters is who these others are. if it is someone we care for then I certainly want to percive me as true to myself as possible. Not only does this allow them to see and feel how much I care but it defintly lets me see if they can handle me (bumps,bruises,and scars) all of which I carry with me. Now as for those "others" who I really care less if they know me, that is a different story, these "special ones" only get very little from me and they can read it how they wish. For example, a bit from my (recent) personal life here....there is a female who thinks it is ok to call my hubby in middle of night, or really at all. I gave hubby chance to clear this up, and then another one as well, he did not make his statement clear enough. After dealing with more calls I decide to talk to her myself. I, very angry and very tired, and very loudly, perceeded to give her a few pieces of my mind(without threats). I made sure to tell her to stop calling and get over herself. Well I guess my anger scared her (GOOD! a perciption I can live with) she threatened to call police (proving her intelligence since she calls in middle of night). This most defintely is a mis-perception I can handle. If I seemed scary to her, good, maybe she needs a little fear in her life right about now. I can work with this;)

ps Miss Teri,
I have forgotten how to change this darn picture but I am working on it.
Leann said…
As usual you hit the nail on the head Teri.

Who I see in myself and who I project to others....let's just say there are multiple personalities at work :-)

Enjoy your Paula gig.

Leann
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Readers...

Very interesting conversation here. I will get back to each of you soon. For now, I am exhausted from being Paula Abdul. I just don't know how she does it! Perhaps with a little help from her friends...
Anonymous said…
Hmmm... I left a comment yesterday. Apparently Blogger was feeling "special", because it wouldn't let me have "raynwomaan" back, and then there were a couple comments that I made that didn't show up. So, I had to settle for ordinary "raynwoman" with only one 'a'. :)

And what I said was: I'd love to hear an account of your Paula Abdul experience. And it must be quite an "out of personality" experience for you, if you find it so exhausting.

As for perception, well, there's a poet, Robert Burns, who wrote a poem "To A Louse". A very long, wordy, Scottish poem it is. But the last stanza, with its so often quoted first lines, seems particularly appropriate here:

O would some Power the gift to give us
To see ourselves as others see us!
It would from many a blunder free us,
And foolish notion:
What airs in dress and gait would leave us,
And even devotion!

Then, all this begs the questions: Should we strive to be as others percieve us? Or should we aim to be as we see ourselves? For myself, I try to be the kind of person that I want to be, with a balance between trying to please myself and consideration for what others think, because, although I place less weight on others' ideas of me as I get older, I am still bound by a strong need for others' approval and acceptance.

And your articles are always so thought-full, considered, and well-written. This one especially so. Thank you, Teri.

I hope the rest of your week is going great, and I look forward to Friday!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Pit Bull...I mean Tanya, great comment. Thank you for your kind words and for sharing!

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...point taken chica. Have a great week.

Ciao...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...yes, I can believe you are a bit of a mystery. Did I mention that I enjoy mysteries.

Here's to your enigmmatic ways chica...hope you're having a great week. Ciao for now.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...the "eyes" have it! Yes, I noted the innuendo myself...and it is an innuendo because I chose to let it stand. Oops, was that a freudian slip?

I better sign off chica before I get myself into more trouble!

Ciao bella...keep your eyes open!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...how you always make me think!

Yes, I was a hit as Ms. Paula, and my Red Coca Cola cup did not hold anything resembling Coca Cola! There was a bit of singing and swaying to the music, but alas, no dancing!

Ciao my friend...we are on the right track with the knee, which included a lot of trips to Los Angeles. Thanks for asking...and back at you. Hope you are progressing as well!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...thank you!

Where oh where were you and your husband when we needed you! I am a bit more circumspect about the privacy of others. Next time I'll snoop a bit better and just introduce myself as "Bonnie." Vicarious living can't hurt once in awhile, can it?

Ciao bella...thanks for the mention in Super Sabado. I haven't got over to read them all yet...still playing catch up!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...no matter which picture you use, I will always know it's you! Glad you cleared up the phone calls, and yes I see you caught the penetration innuendo as well. But of course you would! Or do I mean "wood?" Uh-oh, here I go again gettin myself into trouble!

Ciao chica...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...multiple personalities sounds interesting. I've been accused of this myself, usually by people who just don't know me well enough. By the way, I enjoyed the Paula gig, but was glad to get back to me and my casa!

Ciao bella...take care.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Rayn...what does Blogger know? Theres only one raynwomaan with two a's!

The gig was great and only exhaisting because 11 hyper kids wanted to get up close and personal with Paula for hours! One kid came up, grabbed the top of my hair and pulled as hard as he could. When I jumped out of my chair and yelped in pain he said, "Sorry, I thought it was a wig." Then there was the contest...kids singing songs from my era (to karaoke, thank goodness) with no idea of the tune, etc. It was very cute and fun and the kids had a great time. Not sure my hair will ever be the same, but hey...all in a days work for Ms. Abdul. Ironically in true Abdul Diva fashion, my back hurt latert and I had a great excuse to have another...another cocktail that is!

I love the poem and have read it before...just can't remember the circumstance. Must have been when I dated a Scottish lad I met in Portugal and traveled with him to his home in Glascow. I still have the Robert Burns book he gave me...actually a first edition and very old. Thank you for reminding me and for such wise insight and sharing your wit, intelligence -- and of course sideways-ness!

Ciao bella...long live balance!
Dust-bunny said…
Hi, Teri!

I really enjoyed this entry. I also have a good friend with whom I like to "observe" people with! Scarily enough, a lot of times our perceptions have been right on the money. Other times, there are people we were close with that just blew us away when their real agenda started to emerge!

I was terribly hurt by people like this. Narcissism and pathological lying came into play. But through all of it, I never forgot who I was or what was important to me. What you see is what you get--whether it's a messy house, a kid having trouble in school, or the fact that I gained some weight. I don't hide things in order to present a perfect picture to the world. But the people I knew who did this...well, they have much bigger issues than I can ever attempt to explain. It's all about appearances, even though their private life is falling apart, and now everyone knows it. The best part is, I haven't been in contact with them since we had a fallout last year, and they self-destructed on their own. But their attempts to destroy my image with my family and friends was futile. They are insecure about themselves, and must not like themselves for who they are. These particular people need material possessions to measure their worth. Since I'm not wealthy, I have had to depend on just being who I am to impress people. At first, their need to lie about me to my family angered me. But then I let it go, because I knew what was true and real in my life. I could've gone crazy trying to "prove" to the family that what these people were saying was false. But I eventually realized that nothing that they could say could change the truth about me. Or them...snicker, snicker.

All I know is that I'm proud of what I present to the world, but I'm not being conceited. I just know what's important to me: kindness, friendliness, a caring heart. And those things go alot farther than a life built on lies.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...how well you sharpened my point. Yes, perceptions can be dangerous and we can get hurt when true colors come out. I'm happy that your pilgrimage has brought you full circle to owning who you are and being proud of what you represent and what you present to the rest of the world, including yourself. Very empowering chica. Congratulations.

Here's to kindness, friendliness, a caring heart...is there really anything else?

Ciao bella...enjoy being you and thank you for sharing.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred