Beware the freezer burn!

At the grocery store recently, an older “gentleman” checker took my basket from the line I was waiting in and pulled it over into another line. There was a backup with several customers waiting and only one check stand open. He was doing the right thing by bringing the next person in line over before he opened his register. I was in a hurry and grateful for his consideration.

As he ran my items over the scanner he asked if I were having a party. I replied, “Yes, just a small gathering with my girlfriends.” What came next made me laugh. He asked if we were having a bridge party. I told him no, and explained that I play cards a lot, but not bridge. I said that the get-together was to watch the season premiere of Nip Tuck. It was his turn to laugh, and he did. Then he said, “Boy, I got that all wrong, didn’t I?”

As this friendly checker went on to explain that he asked about the bridge because that’s what his mother and her lady friends used to do years ago, I laughed again. He also laughed. You see, this nice checker is a semi-retiree in his late sixties. I could see from his expression that he had heard about Nip Tuck and its raciness. His thinking of me and my chicas in the same train of thought as his mother and her lady friends playing bridge was amusing to us both. Nope, I told him that I was sure my little gathering would be nothing like his mother’s bridge parties. As I left the store, I made a mental note to seek his line out in the future. He was a nice guy and a gentleman, even if he did have me confused with somebody else. Or did he?

Later in the day, as I prepared a quiche and a pasta salad for my friends, I had my first hot flash. At least I think it was. I came to this conclusion as my husband walked into the kitchen and asked me why I had my head in the freezer. Of course, I told him that I was looking for something...but I don’t think he believed me. I also told him that maybe it was time for me to take some bridge lessons.

Okay, a few of you out there may be grumbling that bridge and hot flashes don’t necessarily go together. Please, bear with me as I’m not in my right state of mind and am more than likely estrogen deficient. Like PMS, a woman suffering hot flashes can be dangerous. In my delusional state, with my makeup running down my face and my eyelashes stiff with a fresh coat of frost, I somehow equated the gentleman checker’s bridge statement from earlier in the day as a sign of aging—getting old. As I finally climbed out of the freezer and reached up to flick some frost from my bangs, I noticed that my husband was quietly backing out of the kitchen, never once taking his eyes from my face, nor the vegetable knife I was still clutching from when I chopped the ingredients for the salad and the quiche. Smart man. He must have recognized the “dangerous curve ahead” sign. Maybe something from his past prepared him for this moment. Or maybe this danger sign is recognizable in any language.

Okay, so I’m a poker, backgammon and gin rummy girl. I came of age with margaritas and daiquiris, not Stoli on the rocks with an olive...or scotch and soda with twist. Hard liquor and bridge denote an earlier era in my mind—my parents era, and their parents before them. I know that I’m wrong, but it’s my perception...and my her-story. My bridge metaphor is just that—a metaphorical bridge to help me recognize that the doctors and tests must be wrong. I must be perimenopausal. There, I said it. Or actually, I wrote it.

After this little freezer episode, I had to touch up my icy and now streaked makeup and blow-dry the ice chunks out of my hair. I was appropriately thawed and feeling much better as my first guests arrived. I had planned to tell them about my hot flash episode...and the gentlemen checker thinking that we were getting together for a little bridge party. I knew it would bring a laugh all around. Before I could say a word, another hot flash hit me and it was much worse than the first one. As I tried to remain cool, calm and collected, the hot flash worsened. I moved (shoved) my husband out of the way as he was getting ice and preparing drinks for our guests, then I unceremoniously stuck my head in the freezer again.

As I tried to mentally will my makeup not to run again, and blink my eyes so they wouldn’t succumb to freezer burn, I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. I reluctantly pulled my head out of the freezer. Through the frost that was layering my twice done eyelashes, I looked directly into the eyes of one of my good friends. She had moistened a kitchen towel with cold water and compressed it onto the back of my neck. I started to ask how she knew, but then I stopped myself as the answer to my unasked question was evident. She’d been there, and done that. It was a poignant moment, because I had been thinking that this friend had not been herself lately and had actually been a little frosty with me on a few occasions. I had wondered what I did or said to upset her. I also suspected that she had been wondering the same about me. As she ushered me carefully to a chair, I knew in that instant that I had not done or said anything to upset her. And I was incorrect in another assumption. She hadn’t been there and done that, as in the past tense. She’s right there with me, sticking her head in the freezer and biting her tongue when those temperamental little Fahrenheit aliens invade at will.

Soon after I cooled off, and my other guests arrived, we all laughed about my first freezer burn, and shared a few stories about the change of life. I found out that most of my friends are already there and that I was the last hold-out. I also found out that the asthma medication I take can worsen the affects...and actually bring on a hot flash. Wow. I wish we had shared these stories earlier. I also wonder who came up with the term “change of life.” If these two little episodes are any indication, this term seems a bit tame. I think “Mutation of life,” with the kicker “Say goodbye to life as you know it and get ready for freezer burn” is more appropriate.

As I think back on this evening I am reminded of a funny story that someone told me several months ago. It doesn’t seem quite as funny now. It was about a woman going through "The change." She was at a party and it was raining outside. She had a hot flash and disappeared into the crowd. Eventually people noticed her absence and started looking for her. After searching the house with the party in full swing, this woman was discovered outside, with her shirt off, screaming, not singing, in the rain. Now that I can relate to this woman’s misery, I’ve decided to dress in layers this winter—especially if I plan to attend a party on a rainy evening.

Before my friends and I finally settled in to watch the gory, sordid and dramatic nips and tucks that brought us together in the first place, we decided to lay some ground rules for dealing with mutants like my friend and me. We decided whenever a friend goes through the “mutation” it’s necessary to cut them a little slack. Don’t be overly sensitive and don’t be too quick to judge...and definitely don’t be thinking that every barbed comment is aimed at you. Sometimes the mutants just can’t help it, and other times they’re not even aware they’ve done or said something unpleasant. We’re not asking for carte blanche on bad behavior for the mutants, We’re just saying that if you can’t stand the heat of a hot flash, then don’t sit too close to the fire for awhile...or you just might get your eyebrows singed. And whatever you do, if you get burnt during one of these flaming episodes, don’t take it personally.

I admit that I’m a newbie to all of this, but I do have one more bit of advice to impart on this subject. Beware the freezer burn, it can be a bitch. And guys, so can we. You might want to take a page from my husband’s playbook. If you see a woman with her head stuck in a freezer, and if she’s holding a knife—especially if she’s holding a knife—be afraid, be very, very afraid. Whatever you do, don’t ask her to give you some ice while she’s in there.

Me? I’m off to get some drugs. I have no intention of going through this alone. And if I don’t get some help soon I’m sure that’s where I’ll be—alone, in a locked and padded cell. After the drug therapy, I’ll return home, put some ice in a glass and pour my husband a drink. I think he’s going to need one, or two, or three... . I think it’s going to be a long, hot winter. So, bottom’s up everybody. I’ll provide the blender, the berries and the rum, if someone else would be so kind as to get the ice.

Postscript: I think the term “menopause” is also out of whack. Think about it: Men–O–Pause. Is it a warning to men to tell them to think, or pause for a moment, before they react to something a menopausal woman has said or done, or a reminder for women that they will pause for awhile and become more like men. Either way, I don’t care for the term and I’ll not use it. If anyone wants to know, I am Teri, not Peri, Mutant-O-Pausal.

Dedicated to Mrs. Cox…this one’s for you chica. Thanks for the cold compress.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Tamarai said…
I also don't like the term menopause. It's not like anything is pausing, is it? It's coming to a grinding halt!

Not there yet... have some way to go, but being gay and sharing a house with my partner when we are both premenstrual is hellish enough... Can't wait to see what happens when we both go through the menopause!
Debbie said…
I just do not believe someone who watches Nip/Tuck could ever have hot flashes, and being that it is you, NEVER!! No matter what, you have a very young spirit. Maybe the Hot flashes are due to the anticpation of those naked men on the show. Enjoy your weekend!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...times one is enough in the same household. Times two...well, good luck chica!

Having said that, I know that my asthma medication can be adding fuel to fire (literally), however the "mutation" is coming and as hard as it is to admit it, write about it, and even laugh about it, I know that if I do, I will take myself with a salt shaker of salt, and hopefully others will also. ;)

Ciao bella...stay tuned and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...Yes, Nip Tuck is heat inducing, but it's my other "mutant" friend who gets the flashes from Nip Tuck. She is enamored with "Christian" and the rest of us go along for the ride. It's a fun ride though! ;)

Thank you for not believing. I do think I have a young spirit and I never really think of myself in terms of age.

Ciao chica...have a great week!
Kacey said…
I once read that 10% of women fly through "the change" with ease, 80% have symptoms --- but can tolerate it and 10% go through "hell on wheels". Looks like you are riding in on a scooter, Sweetie. I had my innards ripped out at 46 and the only thing I noticed was the lack of sanitary products in the vanity. Just call me "Lucky"! But, think of all the poor women who lived and fried before the advent of A/C and freezers or Premarin and knowledgeable doctors. No wonder so many of them took to their couches with attacks of the vapors! I wonder if you can buy those "cooling blankets" they have in hospitals for extremely high temperatures.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement. A scooter is okay, but I'm hoping for one with training wheels! ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

Great post, and timely as well! I've been asking my friends at work all week if they're feeling hot, and thank God they've all said "yes, it's really hot in here" every time...I was beginning to worry...although the youngest woman there is 38, and the rest are all men, who are always hot anyway! Uh-oh...might be time for the black cohosh.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...thank you! Now, whenever I think it might be hot, I look around at other people to see if they appear hot before I ask the "Is it hot in here" question. Both "flashes" coincided with medication, but just in case, I'm getting ready. I wouldn't want to run out of ice. ;)

Ciao bella...take care and have a great week.
Anonymous said…
Great post, Teri. I'm not quite ready for "the change" yet but I could totally feel those hot flashes from the way you described them.

Good luck getting through this. Not that you need it. ;)
Oh Teri,
Welcome to the wonderful world of menopause! (peri, whatever)I am so there. I must have 6 hotflashes a day and several that wake me at night. I was promised 7 years or so, but it's been 11! And I can't take another single drug-if I could, I'd want a pain pill that doesn't make me puke for my broken foot! pass the ice pack for the hotflashes!
Me said…
Teri, another straight to the point post that touches big times on our reality!! i love it..
Men-a-Pause...my poor husband suffered a little with it...I was pausing on him night after night, but thankfully he understood.
It all started when I was about 44. My hot flashes used to come and go, days and nights but not that bothersome....I would wake up at night and time them, just like timing contractions..funny..I decided against any HRT and my treatment consisted of lots of working out and lots of cold ice water..it worked like a charm on me..I am almost 50 and I feel good about myself , my body and the change...to my surprise all the symptoms stopped couple of years ago and I am getting my youth back..as getting my monthly friend visits regularly..it is a miracle that I am so thankful for!!!! hope it will go easy on you and the rest of all the women that are going through it and will go through it. It is not that big of a change if you think of it positively... think of it as a normal physical change that has to happen otherwise you will be abnormal if it does not...and we all want to be normal.. it is just a short period of your life and it will take you to the next chapter of your life that would be just as exciting as the rest...Best of luck!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...thanks, and not to worry. You have a long time before you get there...and I'm not really sure that I'm actually there yet because of the medication I take, however I do know one thing...itsa comin!

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...sorry to hear about your broken foot -- and your hot flashes! When it rains it pours chica. Hope you can get through while keeping your shirt on!

Ciao bella...take care and feel better.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...I hope to take a page from your playbook. I love your attitude and philosophy.

Of course, typical me...I wonder what I will learn about during this time, what I can write about, and above all else...what I can laugh about! ;)

Ciao bella...thank you for the cold compress also! That ice water idea is great!
fjl said…
Wow! beginning of a new era. Thanks for being so honest and funny.
In a way , it's kinda romantic, as you're going through a vulnerable hormonal stage and it can't but evoke the other emotional/hormonal situations of early life which were full of vulnerability and hope. If you're with someone who loved you and you have his children and he's tender towards you at this phase, and wants to understand it, that's precious. Or am I asking for the moon here as usual.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...no, not the moon -- but maybe a few stars! ;)

Actually I read this essay to the husband and he laughed. He is a pretty considerate guy overall, and caring.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I will embrace what you say.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Ballpoint Wren said…
Teri, the picture of you with your head in the freezer made me LAUGH!

Goodness knows, I'm right behind you.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...have to admit that it made me laugh also - although not at the time. I'll keep an eye out for you in my rear view mirror chica. Maybe one of us can make it to the finish line and cheer the other one on! ;)

Ciao bella...thanks as always for stopping by. I'll be over soon to check out Super Sabado.
Anonymous said…
Well Girl,
I laughed and laughed all the way through your post. You do have a way with words my girl, and I hope you never lose your gift.
I had the enlightening experience you speak of, or not, of going through this mutation in one day. One day I was me, but not doing so good in the "female" parts of me, so the good Dr. helped me out by changeing me in one fell swoop.
The next day, I was I guess I should call it. . . different.
At first I thought I was regaining my freedom. Freedom from all those "things" so openly displayed in the middle aisle of almost every grocery store in America. No one explained about the mood swings, the hot flashes (more like heat waves)dry skin, memory, and hair loss. Surprise, surprise!!!
My only consolation is that my wonderful husband seems to be having PMS and other disturbing, but vaguely familiar symptoms and I can't find a Dr. to give him "relief" by performing the life saving/changeing operation on him. Now who's "on the R_G.? . . .there is a "GOD"
Believe me, with all those wonderful and understanding friends you have, you will sail through this with the same determination you always have, and who knows, perhaps you will come up with a workable solution for many, many women. You have already started with providing a wonderfully wacky sense of humor.
Love ya.
Miss Prinny
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Miss Prinny...the fact that I made you laugh is reason enough for admitting the ugly truth to myself, that yes, I am getting older.

Having said that, I in turn laughed at your PMS story. The ayes have it, as in yes, I agree, some guys have it...PMS that is. Maybe you should slip a little midol in his ice cream. ;)

Ciao bella...hope all is well in your neck 'o the woods.
Doug Bagley said…
Hey, age is a state of mine...wish I knew what state I left mine in.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...funny! I agree 100%.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
If any of you are looking for an article that made a brief, accidental appearance here yesterday and part of today, it will be reposted this Friday...with your comments intact.

Thanks...

Teri
Anonymous said…
Hi, just stumbled across your blog - love it! Looking forward to following your posts.
Julia
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Julia...welcome! And thank you. I post a new article every Friday. Please feel free to drop in anytime and weigh in on my "sideways" musings. Past articles are categorized over on the sidebar. Feel free to browse.

Ciao chica...have a great week.
JulesinParadise said…
I love your blog. I found you through your comment on mine and you are a screech! What a delight. You brought back so many memories of my (almost gone) hot flashes and moreover my grandmother's bridge club and the wonderful women who smelled of lovely talc. Thanks, Jules
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Jules...thank you and welcome! I'm so glad you could relate, but I am a bit envious of the "almost gone." Oh well...that just means that you can help me along. Cold compress anyone? ;)

Ciao bella...I post a new article every Friday. Hope you stop back in again.
molly said…
Darlin' I hear ya. In my neighborhood all the white haired ladies play mah jong, but I refuse to succumb. I'm piling my saggy boobs into the nearest push-up bra, talking my husband into buying a motorcycle, and roaring off into the sunset. How bad can hot flashes be with the wind blowing in your face? I'll be sure to let you know.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Molly...sing it sister! You've provided me with an image to live up to. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ciao bella...enjoy getting "on the road again." ;)
Leann said…
Teri,

Go down with that knife in your hand and your hiney on a harley!!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...back at you chica!

Ciao bella...have a great week. ;)
Reach said…
Teri,
Though I've not, yet, experienced this behaviour; I do think I have been going to the wrong parties.
Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...give it time. And remember, beware the woman with the head on the freezer (especially if she's holding a knife, or any other sharp or dangerous item). ;)

Ciao buddy...and don't worry about going to the wrong parties. This party wasn't what I would call "right," just a little sideways.
Anonymous said…
Dear Teri,

Oh my goodness, I know exactly how you feel! I'm not crazy! Your writing is really wonderful - funny and warm. I'm interested to know what asthma medication you referred to in your post. I take a couple of different asthma meds; it never occurred to me that any of them might be contributing to this strange phenomenon called a "hot flash." Love the "Teri Mutant-O-Pausal" - I can relate. Thanks.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Beth...Welcome! No, you're not crazy. ;)

One medication is Advair, but I believe the offending hot flash enabler is the primatene.

Glad you enjoyed my musings...please stop in again.

Ciao chica...have a great week.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred