The high road…

Curiosity killed the cat…or so I’ve been told. And I can bet this unfortunate kitty was an insecure and meddlesome cat, the kind of cat that just has to be right in the middle of everything—stirring the proverbial pot and doing everything he or she can to seem important. These cats are demanding and annoying.

Why does everyone always pay attention to these insecure cats? The confident and secure cats just sit back and mind their own business—diligently plodding away, doing their work and enjoying life in general—until rudely disrupted by the incessant yapping and silly, shrilly and bothersome screeches of these catty, insecure felines. These noisy cats throw a fit until everyone is worked into their frenzy—and they're never happy until they get their way, which means that the secure cat is locked up…or at the very least, his or her reputation is in question.

Why does confidence get you a bad rap—or incarcerated inside the misperceptions of other people? People are a lot more like animals than most of us would like to admit. Sometimes this is a good thing, but in this case...not so much.

One friend related a compelling cat story that almost ruined her career. An insecure screeching cat had the ears of the new owners of the business this friend worked for just out of college. This chica—a secure and confident feline—was responsible for all of the marketing materials for a national furniture company. She was also responsible for coordination between the sales force and all of the major clients. She arranged, set-up and ran the six annual trade shows that highlighted new products every year. These shows were held in North Carolina, Texas and California. She worked with production on the samples, purchasing on the price lists, and artists, photographers and printers to prepare all of the collateral materials. She worked longer hours than anyone in the company and was one of the few that had earned a college degree.

When the new owners took over the company they didn’t interview the existing employees, or ask them to prepare job descriptions. They simply sat down with one feline that had a few axes to grind—or catnip to steal—and asked her what each person did. This catty, insecure feline told them that my friend handled the personal finances of the previous owners…and that’s all. Needless to say, as one of the six annual shows quickly approached, they found out differently. My friend saved their biggest selling season that year. She was a secure cat. She patiently waited for the new owners to approach her about the upcoming show. When they ignored her and shunned her requests for a meeting to review her position, she quietly, behind the scenes, performed her regular tasks. The new owners actually sent her a memo relating that they knew what she did, as Maggie the Cat had already told them. A month went by and still no one included her in the usual pre-production meetings vital to the upcoming show. She had even heard a few grumblings that she might be let go. So, she stepped it up a notch and began scheduling, arranging and putting everything together for the tradeshow on her own. She had a few birdie friends that whispered in her ear and let her know what Maggie the Cat had said. Instead of confronting this screeching feline, or engaging in a public “she said-she said,” match, she turned the tables and proved to the new owners that she was indispensable. The proof was in the pudding, or rather the kitty kibble. She took the high road, and was not afraid of falling. She had nine lives and knew that this was just the first of many encounters like this that she would experience in her professional career. She was a young cat, hip cat, smart cat, and pretty darn cute cat. She knew that misperceptions would follow her around until she could earn her bones…and outgrow her youthful appearance.

Later, after the show, when the new owners asked her why she hadn’t spoken up, to dispel the misperception that the catty feline had painted for them, she responded that she didn’t think it was worth it…and that the truth would come out in the end.

This episode took place over 10 years ago. I wonder if this approach would prove as effective today. Personally, I think not. The high road is not on as many maps as it used to be. Some people readily believe one person’s story even though they haven’t heard from the source. They must know that they haven’t got all of the facts. They must know that there is always more than one side to any story. But alas, I fear that our society listens to the loudest voices (or meows) they hear…and certainly the voices (and meows) they hear most often. The secure cats aren’t given the respect, or the credit they deserve. Silence is not as golden as it used to be.

So, I ask you…if one is a secure cat, accustomed to taking the high road, and this cat is not used to dignifying misperceptions and absurdities with a response because to do so would give credence to what the catty insecure felines have to say—should this secure old cat (accustomed in her ways) try to learn new routes and throw away her old maps that do include the high road? Should this kitty bring out her claws and take what she considers the low road?

I ask this because another friend has recently gone through an “insecure feline” episode. Thus far, she has taken what she considers the high road. She’s now thinking of finding a new road...somewhere in the middle. Not the low road of the catty felines, but certainly not the high road that she has traveled most often. Have times changed so much that people can’t see the truth? Or is it that they don’t want the truth? As I talk to this friend, I think of future generations...and how boring their journey will be from down below, on the lower roads.

If we don’t want the truth, what will become of our youth? How can they find the high road if it isn’t on the map? And if they never experience the high road, they may never see the stunning views only visible from up on top—the views that encourage us to come back again and again, no matter how arduous or long the journey may be. Perhaps we should start a petition to take back the high road. We could send the petition to Rand McNally, MapQuest and any other company (or person) that tries to tell us where to go. The problem is—are there enough people that still want to travel on the high road? Are there enough secure cats out there who still know the way to the highways and byways of integrity and character...and can they, or will they, show these kittens the way? Call me an optimist, but I think we have a chance. If enough people—and secure cats—weigh in, perhaps the cat pack will follow—or at least click on the link to the high road of days gone by. It’s our future. It’s their future. It’s worth a try. Maybe, just maybe, they’ll learn by example and incorporate the high road into their lives—all nine lives, I hope.

Disclaimer: I love all cats with four legs.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Reach said…
Am I really the first to comment?

Reach
Reach said…
I like to believe, the Cats you speak of will travel with like Cats. Therefore, to these Cats- Intergrity is not a subject/characteristic to sway, climb, or scratch from in seeking new options. While I do believe in thinking "Outside-of-the-Box", I would never think any individual should change their basic person to meet the new challenge. Just find a new avenue, on the high-road, which can take you to your destination; only, utilizing a new view along the way.

Just a thought

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...a very good thought! My worry is that without the examples of taking the high road in front of them, our younger generations will succumb to the constant lure of low road. But of course, you are right. One should not change his or her own standards...just find that new avenue, as you say. ;)

Ciao...and yes, you are the first, as I was late to post the article this week.
Debbie said…
I understand the high road - low road thing, but I also found that some of those "cats" need to be scratched back.
Reach said…
This is my lucky week, then- for being first.

As I have assisted my children with options, each still strive for the high road- to which I am proud of them.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...be careful, some of those cats have sharp claws. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...good for you. Your children are lucky that they will be able to see the view, and appreciate it, from up on top. ;)

Ciao buddy...and have a great weekend.
Anonymous said…
The high road is an important road to take no doubt. But sometimes you do have to stand up to bullies, and if that means taking a low road than so be it.

On a side note, had our country not take the 'low road' in WWII where might the world be now. Just a thought.

My take on it is take the high road till it no longer works. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reggie...yes, I do agree with both you and Debbie. I also believe that we must choose our battles wisely, or we will be battling all of the time. I think that's my real point of this article. Not to roll over and let someone get away with something, but not spend all of our time (our valuable time) giving these catty felines the satisfaction that we care what they say or do. Me...I can bite when necessary, but I reserve the right to bite. ;)

Ciao bella...and have a great week!
Anonymous said…
Very well said Teri. Those are true words of wisdom.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reggie...thank you.
Kacey said…
I have worked with a few catty types, but I knew they were not such pretty kittys --- I could tell from the stench in their litter box. Being non-confrontational, I would just go home and sharpen my claws on my own scratching post. I'm hoping that my grandkids can tell the high road when they see it by the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomand. Morality is becoming a rare and prized quality --- I've always heard that the pendulum can only swing so far in a direction without coming back the other way. Look out Fat Cats of the world --- the pussy cats are waiting their turn in the dawg pound.
Teri,
I *loved* that story. It really sums up what happens to so many people in their work lives. It doesn't seem to matter what any of us do for a living -- what we *really* do is manage our relationships with our co-workers and try to produce results because of (or in this case, in spite of) those relationships. My wife and I consistently talk about taking the high road when issues arise, and afterward we are *always* glad we did.

Thanks for the well written article and have a great weekend!

Andrew
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...very clever chica, and so true to life. I can almost smell the "stench."

I must ask though...how many scratching posts have you gone through chica? And do you never scratch back? I bet you've scratched back before just a little...not for you, but for one of your litter. Hmmm?

Ciao bella...have a great weekend!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Andrew...your conversations with your wife mirror mine with the husband. Always, we are glad we traveled up high to see the view. ;)

Thank you also for your kind words. Wise also...you are spot on with the workplace relationships. I hadn't really thought of it in those terms. I'm glad you enjoyed this week's fare.

Ciao for now Andrew...have a great week.
Ballpoint Wren said…
Hubby has always been a "the truth will out" kind of guy. I try to take the high road, but I always end up telling everybody but the principal players what really happened.

Because I can't keep my mouth SHUT.

Meow!
Ballpoint Wren said…
The new owners actually sent her a memo relating that they knew what she did, as Maggie the Cat had already told them.

The more I think about it, the more I believe this was the perfect opportunity for the secure cat to speak up and outline her job requirements in a professional and unemotional fashion.
Big Dave T said…
This one hits home. I've had several bosses and maybe had trouble with one out of seven. But I know now that it only takes one. I kept quiet too, when I had one of those cats with big claws and a big mouth (call her psycho-cat, cause that's what she was). It ended up in a demotion for me.

I thought that management would eventually see how indispensable I was in my former position, but it never happened. Management, especially those who don't have the time nor desire to manage hands-on themselves, often like psycho-cats with their aggressive attitude towards others.

My suggestion would be that whenever psycho-cats move in, move out. I now have a wonderful job, with wonderful bosses. And if another psycho-cat ever moves in, I can retire. And will.
Shankari said…
My first response when I read this (instinctive!) was Truth will Out - as ballpoint wren has said! :)

But I must also admit that while I always, but always, choose the high road- however hard it may be, it hurts me to see the high-handedness and smugness that usually goes with treading that path.

If I choose a road, it is because that is the best road for ME, because it is the right road for ME, because I can not tread any other path. Let me not be judgemental about those who may not share my road (however much their actions hurt me) because they *chose* that road.

Another thought provoking post, Teri.
Me said…
Teri, as usual i enjoyed reading your writing but been too busy to "think" and write my thoughts...jet lagged but happy to be back home...have a great weekend.
Teri, this is perfect, too many times we women do not support each other! you are so right, if your friend had done the same action today, she probably wouldn't have lasted a few days, let alone survive-a new job would have been a must! Plus, she would have probably concluded on her own it was time to tune up the resume and seek employment elsewhere. A shame that women aren't more supportive of each other, and that "maggie the cat" is still listened too.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...Meow back at you chica!

Yes, I suppose she could have sent the memo then, but there was a communication issue...a language barrier, plus...this friend felt that they probably would not have believed her until they got the pudding, or the cat nip!

Thanks for making me laugh today!
Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Big Dave...Psycho cats, I love it! I think in this day and age that you are correct about moving out when they move in. Choosing battles wisely comes to mind...and weighing whether or not something is worth the effort. Stay in Door #1, or move on to Door #3. Not running, just choosing.

Glad your choice worked out. Beware the psycho cats!

Ciao Big Dave...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...well said chica. Not judging, taking the path most comfortable for us - I agree.

Truth will out does not apply anymore. As I said, we would have to campaign hard to get back to those days, and even though I say we have a chance, I know that it is a slim chance.

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...I only just returned from a trip myself, and I know what you mean! I hope to catch up woth you on your site soon. Until then...take care.

Ciao bella.
Sideways Chica said…
Ah Carine...you hit upon the "Women supportive of other women issue." Yes, it was there, hidden between the lines. I hate to say it, but I will say it because it's the truth...I generally prefer to work with men...or with other women who prefer to work with men. Isn't that terrible? It is my hope that this will change soon. I keep trying...

Ciao chica...have a great weekend.
Leann said…
Teri,

I'm with you on the "You must choose your battles". Most of the time the high road is worth staying on, however every once in awhile you have to move to that low road and get rid of the road kill. Otherwise you have the stench to deal with.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...very vivid (and true) words chica.

Ciao for now...have a great week!
Mellissa said…
Hello Teri,

I have missed you and finally found my way back to your Blog today...

I alternatively lauged and "got it"..I just love your writing!

XOXO,
Ladybug
Anonymous said…
Wow, I wish I could say that I'd take the high road in the situation that your friend was in. That was quite impressive. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Mellissa (Ladybug)...hey there chica! So glad to hear from you.

I am also glad you laughed...I was beginning to wonder if anyone would. Yes, you "got" it and you "got" me and my sideways brain.

Hope all is well in your kingdom...ciao for now, and please stop by again.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...I don't think this approach would work today, so don't feel too bad. Maybe a modified version to deal with the psycho cats, as Big Dave calls them. ;)

Me? I'll still try, but I will choose my battles wisely. Like the barking dog, I'll bite back when necessary...but only when necessary.

Here's to cats and dogs...may they play nice and stop to enjoy the view once in a while.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Julia Buckley said…
Meow. Clever kitties always fiind their way home, I'm sure your friend will work it out.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Julia...Meow back at you! ;)

Yes, clever kitties do find their way home - thanks for the good wishes for this friend.

Ciao bella...have a great week and stop in again.
Tamarai said…
My theory is that those Low Road Cats are jealous cats. They are the vicious sort of feline that scratches and hisses and growls simply for the sake of it.

Secure cats know when to hiss and when to chill in a patch of sun.

I am willing to go find that high road.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...yes, I agree. I'll see you up on top.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
Its tough to stay on the high road always. Takes a calm person to do it - and I admire such people.

On the personal front I try, but sometimes I stray off that path - especially when someone is repeatedly catty to my loved ones. I bite my tongue and bite my tongue, and finally I become Ms.Hellcat-on-steroids and rip them to shreds. Don't know whether this is right or wrong - though some days it feels SO GOOD. On a higher plane, I wish these stupid cats (and its the same ones) won't get under my skin this way.

I admire your optimism - show me the way please!

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...as cats go, I fear I am a "stray" also. I find I have to duck into the alley once in awhile myself. Not sure that my example is one to follow, but I can only say that I try (hard) to choose my battles wisely. Usually this involves standing up for someone else...one of my litter.

I do know and enjoy the vistas from the high road, and have tried to instill these images in my boys' minds. I think all that we can ask for is the patience and wisdom to know when to climb higher - not in fear, but in security, security in the knowledge that is doesn't really matter what someone else says about us, as long as those who matter the most, know the truth. That is the key...those who matter the most.

Ciao bella...glad to count you as a fellow "stray."
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

"...as long as those who matter the most, know the truth..." Agreed, and that includes our own selves.

I unfortunately had to deal with a "Tom-cat" and his feline frau in an insecure cat story that reads like a nighttime soap opera, but can't be written about because there are kittens involved. I will continue to take the high road and believe in myself enough to know that the truth always comes out and these cats will be exposed as the fraudulent felines that they are. They're just jealous because they chose to throw away the map of the high road, and I searched through their garbage and found it...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...yes, I see you know the high road, and are choosing your battles wisely. The devastation of friendly fire, or the hurting of innocent victims is usually not taken into consideration by the insecure and catty felines - or those being fired upon in the heat of the battle. I'm glad you recognize the consequences and have taken up residence where the air is clear and view is not obstructed.

Ciao for now chica...and good luck with that Tom Cat down below.
Sideways Chica said…
Hey everyone...blogger is sluggish today because spammers are out in force leaving spam messages on blogspot sites. Blogger is working on it and blocking them out as we speak. I'm sorry everything is so sluggish. Hopefully it will get back to normal so that I can post tomorrow's article. It's called..."And the beat goes on..."

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred