A cat in wolf 's clothing.

I'm convinced that no sentence uttered aloud should ever begin with the phrase “Watch out,” unless it involves a life or death situation. I recently came to this conclusion and communicated it quite clearly (and loudly) to my husband as I escaped death (or at least severe injury) by a tiny little woman in a big black SUV. She was talking on her cell phone and checking out her eye makeup in her rearview mirror. My husband told me to “Watch out.” I told him afterward to never (ever) do that to me again. Even now, my heart races as I think how close I came to being parking lot road kill. It’s like Woody Allen says, “I am not afraid of death, I just don’t want to be there when it happens”—to which I add—I’m just a little picky about how, when and where it happens.

Seriously...my near (and potentially very messy) brush with death aside, I'm pretty sure you’re thinking that my husband told me to watch out because he saw the diminutive diva barreling toward me. You're thinking that he saved my life....and that I should be grateful that he was “watching out” for me. You’re thinking that I should thank him for not cashing in on my life insurance policy and hooking up with a more appreciative chica. Wrong.

It was my husband’s fault that I was in the line of fire…or perilously close to being run down in front of my local grocery store. As I casually walked along that day, slightly in front of him, he said “Watch out,” in an urgent tone. It was then that I actually jumped into the path of the SUV and the preoccupied driver. My husband wasn’t warning me about the woman behind the wheel of the big black beast. He wasn’t trying to save me from becoming her new hood ornament. He was worried that I might step on a piece of gum that someone had carelessly spit on the ground.

Okay, I hear the grumblings. Before you all say in unison “It isn’t his fault, he was only trying to be helpful,” let me explain something. This isn’t the first time I’ve “over-corrected” myself into the danger zone stemming from one of my husband’s urgently uttered warnings.

There was the time I ran our boat into the dock because he urgently said, “Watch out.” I was at the helm and swung around too quickly because I thought I must be running over something that I didn’t see. Nope, the sea lions were still safely lounging on a nearby buoy and we had a few thousand dollars in repairs to make to the boat. This “Watch out” referred to his drink that almost fell from the console as a wake from a larger boat drifted toward us. Then there was the time that I slammed on the brakes in the middle of the freeway. Again, I thought his urgent “Watch out” meant we were going to hit something, or something was going to hit us. As it turns out, a lot of somethings nearly hit us, but only after I stopped. We were fortunate and survived unscathed, except for my nerves. What was the husband warning me about this time? There was a highway patrol car seven or so car lengths in front of us, and he thought I was going too fast and might get a ticket.

Please don’t get me wrong. I know I’m fortunate that my husband is always looking out for my welfare…but it’s wearing me out. I have a reoccurring nightmare that I will soon succumb to the “Cry Wolf Syndrome.” Yes, it’s true that I almost met my maker on the plastic bumper of that big black SUV, but that was a fluke. More and more I find myself reacting much slower to these urgently uttered warnings, and this worries me.

I fear that some day my husband will urgently say “Watch out” and I won’t react as quickly as I should to a real danger. I worry that I’m gun shy and have heard this loud blast too many times. I’ve heard him cry wolf, when there was no wolf…only a tiny little shih tzu. I’m afraid I won’t recognize the wolf when it comes for me, and I will be dead and gone, and my husband will be telling everyone, “I don’t know what happened. I told her to ‘Watch out.’”

We’re working on this communication glitch and it’s made me wonder: Why does my husband react so urgently whenever I’m faced with a little situation…and why the same reaction for a bigger, more ominous situation? The simple answer, of course, is that he loves me dearly…and never wants me to be inconvenienced or hurt. For this I am appreciative and blessed. But why does he worry about me so much these days? Do I give off the air of a helpless chica? Do I seem preoccupied, as if I wander through life not paying attention to the details…or the big black SUVs?

I have my own theory. I admit that I can be preoccupied at times, but I am a multi-tasker with excellent peripheral vision. There’s not much that misses my radar. My husband knows this better than anyone else. I think he has an empty nest syndrome and has transferred all of his worry onto me.

His empty nest syndrome doesn’t just encompass our absent boys; it includes pets. We’ve been petless for three years, except for Fred II the amazing Beta fish we inherited from the youngest son a few months ago. Please don’t ask why this fish is amazing, or what happened to the first Fred. Both of these fish belonged to our son...and Fred II is still alive. Need I say more?

I think that it’s time for our household to welcome another pet. This sounds like an easy solution, but alas, it is not. Our hearts have grieved for three years over the loss of our beautiful, smart, funny, messy and noisy parrot. I’ve not been ready to give my heart to another animal. I still feel the pain and I still hurt. Only now do I realize that I've been selfish. While I may not be ready for another pet, my husband is more than ready—and has been for quite some time. No…not for another parrot. Trust me when I say that our bird days are over.

My husband wants another cat. I tell him we need two cats that will keep each other company when we travel. I realize now that I say this because my husband doesn’t want two cats and will never relent...so end of discussion and we remain petless except for the fish. I know that two cats are not the same as one. My husband wants a big old fat tabby to sit in his lap at night. He doesn’t want two cats who play together and ignore him. But it’s not his attachment that worries me. It's mine. Two cats might not expect as much from me, and therefore I might not get as attached as I usually do to our pets. If I don’t get too attached, then I might not hurt as much if something happens to them. There’s another reason I’ve used for not getting another pet. I’ve said many times that it’s not fair to get another pet now because we will be doing some remodeling soon and it might traumatize the animal. I’ve been saying this for two years…with no remodeling on the horizon...or at least on the drawing board. Excuses. I’ve been making excuses because of my loss…my pain. Even as I write this the tears well up in the grief I still harbor for that silly old noisy and messy Macaw.

It’s apparent that I didn’t allow the grieving process to completely process. I’m not saying that I needed to get over my grief by replacing my beloved pet with another pet. I’m saying that I allowed a part of my heart to harden…and hide. I realize that giving love to another animal won’t diminish the crazy love I had for my last pet. It will just be giving love to another animal.

So…I guess I had better get used to the idea that a new member of the family will be here soon. I don’t know where we will find him, or when he will arrive. I do know that this will happen, because I am finally willing. I also know that he will be a “he,” because for some reason I don’t get to cohabitate with females. All boys, always boys. Sons, cats, dogs and birds…never any females. It’s not premeditated; it just works out this way. I’m even convinced the fish is a he, which is probably good, since his name is Fred.

Because it’s my biggest boy—the husband—I worry about most, I will put my fear of attachment aside. It’s for him that I will expose the hidden portion of my heart that’s reserved for the helpless, depend on us for everything, give us so much unconditional love in return, pets that he and I have always had in our lives. Perhaps if my husband has someone (or something) else to worry about, he will be less apt to cry wolf over a tacky piece of gum stuck to the pavement...and maybe, just maybe I will start to listen intently to his urgent warnings once again.

So I will finally let my grieving process complete its cycle...and provide my husband with that additional something to worry about, fret over, and love on a daily basis. I also vow to open up my heart again and I promise to be more careful where I step. I will try to watch out for myself a bit more cautiously than in the past. In return, I hope to hear the cry of “here kitty, kitty” a lot more often than that proverbial, nerve-shattering cry of “wolf!”

Postscript: Wish me luck. If this doesn’t work, then my days are numbered. In my neck 'o the woods there are plenty of preoccupied and diminutive divas barreling down the road in their big black SUVs. They’re dangerous in their pursuit of happiness—I mean their pursuit of the perfect latte, or the perfect hairdresser, or the perfect pair of shoes, or the perfect play date, or the perfect hood ornament. Meow!

Dedicated to all who have ever lost a beloved pet and to those worried about losing their faithful companions soon. I know how you feel. Also...to Fred II. My husband says that only I could make one tiny little Beta, who has survived many (many) brushes with death, high maintenance.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Me said…
Teri, again, very nice post. I enjoyed reading it and here i am the first one to comment on it!! Being on the other side of the earth and the time difference are on my side again!
Just small comments on highlights on your post:
SUV’s and distractions do not mix...
”watch out” said in many different voice tones makes all the difference...but not all the time!! I should learn how and when to use it! i am sure it is a term said out of love not to scare someone off!
Empty nest syndrom is the beginning of the end to someone who is used to having a house full of living lively people called kids! I wish this day would never come my way.
mourning a lost pet i believe is just like mourning someone really dear to your heart...i never tried it but i imagine this is how it is.
Have a great weekend!
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

When I first started to read this post, I thought to myself, "She must be an animal lover. She uses animals as metaphors for certain life situations, and she knows their character well." And then I kept reading, and lo and behold, I discover that you love your animals with all of your heart!

It is definitely true, having two animals takes the emphasis off of us paying ALL the attention to one, and it does make life easier. When you have one, they do tend to become like one of your kids...but is that good or bad? I don't know if I'm as attached to my two dogs as I have been in the past to my single animals, although I will be sad when they eventually depart.

Good luck on your endeavor of finding a new furry (or feathery) companion. Watch out! You're setting yourself up to become attached again!

Take good care,
Lisa
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...thank you for touching on each of my points here chica. Your compassion and insight are wonderful. Of course I poke a little fun at the husband and myself here...but I do think it is important to pay attention to "tone." Too many people are tone deaf. On the other hand, I react to tones and inflections much more than the words that accompany them. I am trying to desensitize myself.

Enjoy the rest of your stay...and enjoy!

Ciao bella!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...yes, I can imagine you know just a little about the animal kingdom. I have always loved my pets as if they were people. And yes, you are right to warn me about the "set-up." I am putting my heart at risk again. But what good is a heart if you don't use all of its capacity, or potential.

Ciao bella...you take care in that wild and wonderful kingdom of your own.
fjl said…
Good expression. I got sprung by this kind of devil this week, 'cat in wolf's clothing.' But you can't help come across them and you mustn't blame yourself when they turn.

( Now I'm rambling!)

xx
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...your comments are always so intriguing. Now you've got me wondering. I'll pop over soon for some tea.

Thanks for the "Watch out" chica.

Ciao for now...and have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Pia...spot on chica. I know that I will always have these wolf cries from my husband, and I also know that it is part of the relationship. I would rather have them than not, because as you say, it gives him license to show his true feelings.

Sharp point. Thanks!

Ciao bella...have a great week.

Ciao...
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
Dropped in to say hi. I haven't owned a pet, but have seen pet owners treat the pet like a child. Must've been hard for you to lose your Macaw.

My friend who battled breast cancer used to say that her dog sat with her the whole time she was sick. Didn't want to play or go out or do anything. Just sat at her bedside with a sad look.

My kid is after me to get a cat. She's checked out books from libraries on various cat breeds, and caring for them, and reads out passages on cat care to me. Me, I'm just content playing with other people's pets. So far I haven't caved to the pressure.

Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...just wait until the big push. I bet you give in eventually.

I had surgery on my arm several years ago...and had to hold the macaw on the other arm...which he wasn't used to. Normally he would have fussed, but he knew I had no choice. When the arm was really painful, he would dance and start to sing so that I would smile and sing with him. Yes, I guess it's time I give in to the pressure.

Thanks for sharing chica...your comment has reminded me of what I received from my pets, not what I gave or lost.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Anonymous said…
Teri,
I must admit I just did one of those suck in my breath things when my sister was driving. I had just remembered something I'd been meaning to tell her, but she thought a big farm implement (so prevalent in rural Iowa at harvest time)was about to hit us.

I promised never to do that to her again, but it's just one of those things that seems to automatically fly out of my mouth.

BTW, your comment about being an optimist reminds me of a T-shirt I saw that reads: I'm not a pessimist, I'm just an optimist with experience.

Keep up the good work, dear Chica.

Sidney
Kacey said…
Dear Teri, I must be related to your husband. In our marriage, I am the one who does the "Watch Out". suck in my breath, slam on an imaginary brake pedal or all of the above while he is driving. I think the problem comes because licensed drivers are watching the road, but are not in control of the vehicle or in your case--- not in control of your body. My husband can tell of several events where I saved both our butts, but he can also tell you of hundreds of times when I just plain drove him nuts with warnings of things he already knew about. (I mean, he knows there is a train crossing the road --- the gates are down and the lights are flashing!) Despite his crabbing about my backseat driving, he does the same thing when I drive on the way to FLorida. We should give this thing a name--- like "Passenger Syndrome" or "Sidekickitis".
We both love animals, but did our grieving when leaving our horse farm ten years ago. We had dozens of quarter-horses over twenty years, several Australian Shepards, many litters of calico cats, a few tiny toy poodles and barn swallows that flew around his head as he led mares and foals to the pastures. If he were a black man, I would have called him Uncle Remus. He cleaned out the barn the last day and then sat on the picnic and looked over the pond --- I was afraid to go out and look at him, I think he was crying. Now, he won't allow another animal into our lives --- it hurts too much to part with them.
Angel said…
Oh dear,

Charlie Parker the stray I was feeding has been AWOL for two weeks now.

I'm certain he became Fischer Cat food and even though I never even got to stroke him, I still miss him and look for him every night.

FYI though --- having two cats would not make it easier not to become attached. I've got three and feel free to ask any one of them.

With the cold weather moving in, I have all three on the bed at night now. No worries of cold toes for me!

Have a great week end ...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Sidney...you have me laughing for several reasons. One being the image of the (now I am laughing out loud) farm implement looming large. And I thought that demise by way of Big Black SUV with a tiny Diva on board was messy!

One of the other reasons for my laughter was hearing from you today. Breath of fresh air chica...farm bred fresh air.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel of the Dawn...oh dear, indeed. Poor Charlie Parker. I know how attached you had become to him.

I know that no matter how many kitties there are, I will be a big sucker and fall head over heels. Just take a look at my high-maintenance little fish!

Ciao Bella...always (always) great to hear your voice. Enjoy those warm tootsies!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I almost missed you chica! No...I could never do that! Wow, I can't imagine how hard it was to leave the horses. It would break my heart. I imagine you had a few sleepless nights.

Also, a bit surpised here. I would think that your husband would be the only one pumping the imaginary brake pedal, trying to keep up with you. But then, you are the worrier, the peacekeeper...and one of my most favorite sideways cyberspace pals. Good thing there's no driving involved... you would push me right in front of that big, black SUV!

Ciao bella...I do hope you are feeling better. ;)
Ballpoint Wren said…
Teri, you ought to ride shotgun with my boys! They're constantly freaking me out:

BOY: "Whoa, MOM!"

ME: (Slamming on the breaks and screaming)

BOY: What are you getting so excited for? I just wanted you to change the radio station.

----------------

And guess what: the word verification is "headxe"! I feel a headxe coming on!
Anonymous said…
I'm with you. I'm not a fan of "Watch out" or even "Look out" unless they're accompanied by details of what to watch out or look out FOR. Otherwise I don't know whether jump, duck or dodge whatever's coming! ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie...very good point chica. I forgot about those days. Like the time the youngest yelled "Fire!" Little did I know it was something from one of his video games and he was just being interactive...not with us, but the Gameboy!

Ciao bella...have a great week and good luck. Er...I wonder. Since we live so close to each other, might I ask what make and color car you drive, just in case I might be trying to avoid another piece of gum some day? ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Nicole...ditto, and ditto again chica.

Ciao bella...have a great week and thanks for stopping by.
Leann said…
Teri,

I feel your pain in the loss of a pet department. I have one cat left (does that tell you anything?) and I swear when he's gone that's IT. No more pets. (Be strong Leann, be strong)

I would have to agree that the empty nest syndrom is probably culpable for your husband's "Watch Out" syndrome.

Good luck with those divas!!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...thank you. I wondered if I was off mark on this one, but I really think a pet will help. At least it gives me hope. ;)

Ciao chica...have a great week and let me know when you get those boots!
Leann said…
Oh....as a post script here...
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never loved at all"
ah, Teri. First, the woman in the SUV, I swear my hubby and I had to deal w/ her this morning when he took me to work-still putting on her make-up while driving!
As for the pets, we are those crazy people who treat ours as if they are truly our babies. I wish you the strength to enjoy any and all new arrivals!

www.Carine-whatscooking.blogspot.com
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...so true chica!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...yes, you know that around here one must always watch out for the mobile makeup parlors, I mean big black SUVs!

Ciao bella...thank you and have a great week.
Reach said…
Teri,
Oh too many pets to speak of; therefore, I would like to address communication. As an "out-sider", my perception is screaming out the word communication on your team. Mr. F. could learn better descriptive warnings, and you learn the simple process of "Stop, Think, React".

I remember when I was a child, we played a game called "Saved your life". The game was played when standing next to a place nobody wanted to venture- like next to a cliff. As person "A" would stand and observe, person "B" would sneak up behind and grab person "A" by pulling them away from said situation. During the pulling session person "B" would scream "Saved your life"! in a reactive state, person "A" would lunge toward the hazard.
Kids!
Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...very interesting. I did try the "Stop" thing, unfortunately it was on the freeway, then I had to "think" fast and "react" even more quickly. Too bad I didn't employ this for the sticky gum debacle. ;)

Seriously though...you made me realize that one must react differently to each situation. Perhaps I should always "look" first, but that takes time...or maybe I should just ask "What???!!!"


I played many games as a child, but not the one you outline. Not sure my gang would have been there for me - I was the only girl, and a pretty tough one at that! The boy's were always trying to one-up me.

Ciao friend...enjoyed your commment. Have a great week.
Shankari said…
In my life, my SO is the worrier- he even told me NOT to cross the road unassisted in the US cuz I'd expect the traffic to come from the 'right' side while it comes from the 'wrong'!!!

He was such a terrible backseat driver that it nearly got us into being messy road kill- and believe or not I don't drive anymore! (Not that I miss it much as I have myself a dedicated driver courtesy dh!)

His concern for me at times makes me strain at the leash but he knows that I am strong enough to disregard most of his nagging and would do my own thing anyway- however much he may remonstrate post facto.

One thing I have persistently refused to do, to his and the kids' sorrow, is to adopt a pet. They 'know' I'd love it but refuse. The way I see it I have enough people who get shares of my heart for me to obsess over and take total unconditional responsibility over yet another creature- big or small. Not set to embark on another issue of preferred shares of my heart!

Heres hoping your heart fills up with the upwelling of love that the pet is set to give and receive.
Debbie said…
ok I can so relate to that. My husband had to stop doing the watch out stuff because I warned him that he may have to walk home if he did That again 0n te=he hightway.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...I see you are a survivor of the "Cry Wolf Syndrome." It can be messy - and do a number on your nerves, and listening capacity. ;)

I wonder chica...how long will you be able to hold out on the pet issue. Keep me posted.

Ciao bella...thanks for lettig me know that I'm not alone on this struggle, and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...yes, I have threatened to pull over, but never actually done it. Food for thought though, and further proof that empty threats never work. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Anonymous said…
my younger sister's name is Terri... are we actually related? because a lot of what i just read here sounds very familiar!

for one thing, your tale of a husband's over use of the phrase "Watch Out". i'm convinced my husband believes me to be the clumsiest and most careless woman on this planet (not without reason, mind you, but still...) i hear watch out if i even LOOK at the street, nevermind try to cross it!

we've been married 21 years now, and i can probably count on one hand the number of times he lets me drive when we're together... despite the fact that i've never gotten a ticket or been in an accident in all that time (if you don't count the time i kind of skidded down an icy hill and sort of slammed into our snow plow guys).

as for your pet situation? well, we lost our beloved Sheltie almost 6 years ago, and, despite the fact that we've got 3 dogs we ADORE, and an onery 19 year old cat, i still moourn the loss of our Teddy Bear and cry when ever i think of him, which is often. oh yeah, we had a Beta fish once, but he died within a week. dogs i can do, fish, not so much.

thank you again for your lovely and gracious comments on my blog and at Sar's! (i'm tellin' you, your caption was hilarious!) and i'll look forward to visiting with you here again, and often!! xoxo
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Neva...welcome! Any time I meet or hear about another chica named Terri (2 r's or 1) it always seems as if we have the same sideways point of view. Must be something in the name. ;)

You husband sounds a bit like mine, not only in the watch out warnings, but also in the way he cares for you. Guess we're pretty lucky. Mind you...I'll never give over the wheel easily, as he learned to drive on one lane roads back in the midwest. If we need to be on time...then I am generally behind the wheel. Seriously, it's not that I go fast. He just tends to be a little pokey at times. In Minnesota, where he is from, our boys and I laughed when we saw "Minimum" Speed Limit signs posted on the freeways. Made so much sense.

Thanks so much for stopping in. I post a new article every Friday.

Ciao bella...have a great week and maybe you can go for three in a row over at Sar's place.
Big Dave T said…
Our dog is 13 going on 14, but my wife has already said she doesn't want another pet. I would. In fact, I'd love a parrot. But if I ever surprised her with something like that, man, watch out.

OOps! (Sorry.)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...Very funny! Watch out indeed.

A word of advice though. You don't surprise someone with a parrot, otherwise you may be the one who gets the surprise, by living solo with the parrott.

Also, no matter how many pets of any type you have ever had, owning a parrot is completely different. Life altering. Very much like having a toddler in perpetuity. It's a life job, and you must be prepared. Just saying...in case you were even a bit serious about the "surprise."

Ciao dude...have a great week and thanks for making it by
Doug Bagley said…
Losing a beloved pet is tough. We always had a family dog when I was growing up and the death of each dog was never easy.
BTW, I crossed a shih tzu with a bulldog. I got a bull-shihtz. I know you're laughing.
Sideways Chica said…
Yes, Doug...I'm not proud of it, but I am laughing. Thanks for the BS. ;)

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Hey there everybody...it has come to my attention that Blogger is randomly eating comments again. Hungry beast!

Please, if your comment disappears, know that I didn't erase it, and try again.

Thanks and sorry ;(
Chris said…
Awww. That's all I can say. I've lost a few pets in my time, and it's always sad. But, as much as I often want to kick the little bastards, I can't imagine life without our two cats. :)

Lots of luck, LLS.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...thank you. The "Awww" was just what I needed. ;)

Enjoy T.L.B.s LLB!

Ciao for now...
G said…
I know that I left a comment on this post! Now whether it was in my head on one of those days when Blogger was being cranky, can't swear to.

Loved this post and can relate. Mostly though, it's how my husband will alarm me for things unncessarily, such as this:

I'm in violin class with my daughter. He calls and says (in a hushed tone) "go outside". I quickly leave the room, "Yes" I ask nervously. "I was going to make chicken and whatever for dinner" Me: "You're kidding right?". After I get over my initial agitation, I'm always more relieved that nothing is really wrong.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear G...yes, I can relate. As you said, the relief usually takes care of everything, unless of course you find yourself in front of a big black SUV looking for a new hood ornament. ;)

And yes...Blogger ate quite a few comments here, and on the new post as well. What can I say? Try again maybe?

Ciao bella...thanks for trying again, and have a great week!

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred