I think, therefore I'm anal?

I’m tired of hearing don’t sweat the small stuff. I like the small stuff. I think life is in the details. If you can’t appreciate the details, how can you appropriately appreciate the broad strokes?

I love the paintings by Vincent Van Gogh. I think I appreciate his genius more because I know some of the details behind the canvas…behind the big, thick impressionistic strokes of that Starry Night. Does this make me an “over-thinker,” as a dear friend recently labeled me? Am I compulsive? Anal? Or do I just like the details.

What does “over-thinker” mean anyway? Taken out of context it can mean many things. In my case, my friend means that I see things and then do things to ensure the happiness of others. At least I think this is what my friend means. I think she’s wrong. I’m much more selfish than that. I do things for others because it makes them happy, and this in turn makes me happy…and I like to be happy.

This same friend calls me detail oriented. She’s right. Details hit my radar. I’m one to move quickly and take care of the details before I sit and relax. It’s how I’m programmed and I don’t mind. As I said, I like the details. Once I attend to the details, I completely relax. I believe that details are the foundation of our lives. It’s in the details that we can build our futures, see our hopes and realize our dreams.

I also like easy. It’s the details that I sweat because they’re easy to sweat…easy to take care of, and easy to scratch off my “to do” list. I don’t usually sweat the larger, more difficult stuff. If I take care of the details, then I rarely have anything considered large to sweat. I like it this way. Less drama, fewer emergencies or unpleasant surprises.

This doesn’t mean my life runs like clockwork. It doesn’t, and I wouldn’t want it to—mainly because I enjoy spontaneity and resist rigid structure. So how do I keep up with the details? I don’t know…I just do.

Taking care of the details doesn’t mean big old nasty stuff won’t come my way. It does…and I handle it in the details. When my husband had prostate cancer a few years back, I worried about his welfare and our future, but I was much calmer, more secure in the outcome, because I took care of the details. I did the research, set up the appointments, and took care of the paperwork. I made sure we prepared for the outcome—for better or worse—and discussed the issues and communicated our concerns with each other and the doctors. I guess I sweated the small stuff and let the large stuff, of which I had no control, take care of itself. And it did.

When it came time for my husband’s knee surgery this year, I tried another approach. I didn’t take care of the details (or “over-think” things) as I normally would. My husband told me not to worry. I remember hearing “No brainer…no second consultation necessary,” and “yada…yada…yada.” My bad. While things didn’t work out so well for the knee, some good has come from this experience. My husband has more appreciation for the details…or rather, how I usually take care of them.

Details follow me wherever I go. On a road trip, I may bring some bev naps, paper plates, plastic cups, coffee and a variety of munchies from my kitchen cupboard. I may also take a scented candle, extra roll of paper towels and yes, toilet paper. When I take care of these details, it makes me happy that neither I (nor anyone else) will have to make an unexpected trip to the store. If we choose to go to the store, say for something fun for the cocktail hour, then it’s our choice—but we don’t have to go unless we want to go. This makes me happy. I provide options, choices…and I make things more comfortable for my friends, my family and myself. Does this take much time? No. Effort? No. Does it put me out in any way? Absolutely not. I just apply a few tiny brush strokes with some spare paint.

The same friend who labeled me an “over-thinker” also believes my over-thinking makes me an interesting writer. She says I see things that others don’t. She says I see (and hear) everything, but with different eyes and different ears than the average chica. Perhaps she is right. Maybe my love of details helps me put things into perspective—or at least my perspective.

It’s true, I don’t just stop to smell the roses. I want to know what type of roses they are, who planted them and then cared for them so that one day I could stop and appreciate the loving little details behind their perfume, and whoever attended to those details.

I’m also a doer. I see something that needs doing and I usually do it. Sometimes willingly and other times not so much. Regardless of my state of mind at the time, I usually feel good afterward. I have a sense of accomplishment and the gratification that I did the right thing. Whether it’s lending a hand in the kitchen, writing an essay to make a friend laugh, or preparing for my husband’s surgery, the details are my friends.

The details are the dots that I connect to get the big picture…and ultimately, it’s the big picture that I’m after. Maybe I just have a different point of view with enhanced peripheral vision that leads me through the big canvas of life. While this canvas appears to be made up of big broad strokes, a closer examination reveals that it’s chock full of tiny little intricate details that I cherish.

Some of you may be thinking “compulsive” right now. You may be right. However, I think my love of details relates to my work ethic more than anything else. My work has always been detailed, and I take pride in the details. Therefore, I appreciate the details that others take care of…as much for the comfort and joy they bring, as in the effort behind them. It’s been said that behind every detail is a person, and behind every person that accomplished that detail there are those who will never appreciate that detail. Okay, I just made this up...so now it’s been said. My point is that appreciation of the details is not for everyone—and that’s okay.

We’re all wired differently, thank goodness. We all have separate radars. Mine is more finely tuned to the details and has been my entire life. I don’t expect other people to be as detailed as I am. Nor do I want my attention to detail to cause others to feel disorganized or inefficient. Some people don’t do well with details…and I understand. But do these people understand me? Alas, I fear not. I’ve been likened to the “Energizer Bunny” on more than one occasion. Very few get to see me sleeping peacefully, unencumbered each night, as I usually do, after a long day of taking care of details.

So I ask, “I think, therefore I’m anal?” or, “I think, therefore I’m me?” I guess the answer is in the details.

Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.

~ Ernest Hemingway

Dedicated to my dear (dear) Mrs. Cox…who claims she appreciates this detail-oriented, over-thinker. Me thinks she might be exaggerating a wee bit. I’m not that detailed, and I suspect that she doesn’t really appreciate me and my details all that much either! Ciao Mama!

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Tamarai said…
Large stuff, as you pointed out, really is made up of a series of details. I like the Hemingway quote.

My partner, Kate, reckons that I too think too much. But I am a worrier.

Thankfully, I am learning to think too much in more creative ways and to let go of the worry.

Another good essay, Teri. Thanks. You've made me think. More.
Me said…
A soul searching post !! What type am i??
After taking the time ( a whole ten seconds of thinking!! ) i came to realization that i am more of a detailed person than anything else in everything i do in life..does not matter if i do it right or wrong, have to do it or want to do it..of course i try my best in all good intention to do it as perfect as i can. i just feel that taking care of details is big part of the whole life experience and gives anything we do worth living, for taking care of details gives meaning to anything i do..I love details that make life and situations more comfortable, pleasant and happy. i do believe that details make things, stories, events, or whatever we encounter much more interesting, informative and fun at times depending on it...what would a simple picnic or a wedding reception be without getting into details? what would ensuring the best out there for any health associated situation be without details into options and treatments? what would a love story be worthy of remembering if it did not have details in it? Teri , impressive post, i just love reading your good good detailed articles!! Sorry for my semi detailed comment! Have a wonderful weekend!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...I'm glad I made you think, but not "over-think" I hope. ;)

This Hemingway quote has been a favorite of mine for years. I couldn't think of any better way to sum up the details.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...of course you are detail-oriented. I'm amazed at the details in your posts, and I appreciate them chica!

And yes...this was a soul-searching quest, of which I had to sort through a lot of details. But a well-known columnist reminded me not to be afraid of "exposing" myself to my readers. Consider this a detailed exercise in exposing my canvas of life.

Ciao bella...have a great weekend!
Big Dave T said…
I guess you can be detailed in some ways, but not in others. That would describe me. I can be detail-oriented in planning trips and vacations. But at work, if I did indeed "sweat the small stuff" every day, I could be inundated with paperwork by the end of the week.
Kacey said…
My interpretation of anal retentive is someone who is afraid to let go of their s**t. Far better to be anal retentative, than to walk around with your head up your arse --- which is where many people spend most of their lives. I am a big detail person and enjoyed being an operating room scrub nurse, because of the neat orderliness of setting up the instrument tables and the lovely order of the surgery itself--- rather like a ballet with a new baby as the finale. However, if Vincent had paid attention to the details of his life, he would have wound up staying a minister, instead of setting up an easel and giving us the wonderful broad strokes of "Waterlilies" or "Starry, Starry Night". Instead, he relied on his brother to handle the details for him. We list makers make certain that the "fly by the seat of your pants people" get through life in comfort. We grease their way like mineral oil.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...so true. I guess I know when to let the little stuff go, or at least I hope so! ;)

I must admit that when it comes to doing the dishes, I let the dishwasher do the work, both the machine and my husband! Both do a much better, more detailed job than I. This must mean I have my priorities in order. ;)

Ciao Dave...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I didn't want to say it, but I'm glad you did. I would rather be detailed than not. Those that just let go of everything and let others worry about the consequences have always intrigued me. I had a roommate once who was like this. I can't see how they ever get a good night's sleep.

Ciao bella...here's to not having our heads stuck up our arses! Have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
P.S. to Kacey...Isn't the detail that we might never have had a Starry Night to appreciate wonderful chica? Think how many postcards would never be purchased and sent from Holland. ;)

Ciao again Bella...I was just thinking of details again. Thanks as always for sharpening my point!
as a chica who's always overthinking and making things more difficult than they are, I can relate Teri, and I'm married to mr overthinker-he's worse than I am and yes, his co-workers call him anal. but guess what, he makes very few mistakes, which means more profit for his boss and somehow for him.
my motto-better safe than sorry!
great job!

www.Carine-whatscooking.blogspot.com
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...good for you chica. I don't look at it (at least in my case) as making things more difficult, but easier. I would rather not have to clean up a mess later, ;)

Ciao bella...have a great weekend with Mr. Over-Thinker.
Chris said…
I know why you sweat the details, LLS. It's the same reason I do. Once the details are handled, and it's time to completely relax, we can get our drink on to our hearts' content and not have to worry about having to deal with something when we might not be able.

See, I noticed what's on YOUR radar. ;)

Cheers, darlin'.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...spot on LLB. Although I gave you a few little hints, I think you would have found it anyway!

Cheers back at you...and watch that "inner rage" issue. ;)

Ciao dude...have a good one!
DTclarinet said…
Ah Teri- I see the artist's temperment, one who wants the details AND the big picture, one who is aware of the connections and the discrepencies, but is willing to see the glass half full.

As usual, a good, thought provoking read.

best wishes,
David
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Garnet David...so nice to hear from you. Yes, I think your words ring true...the artists temperment indeed. Here's to the glass half full.

By the way, I wonder about Whirling Betty. Please pass on my best wishes and a big hug to her and the child.

Ciao Garnet...have a great week and thanks for the kind words.
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

This post is wonderful, and so ironic...I sit here in a tiny corner of my basement typing away every day with a print of...you guessed it..."Starry Night" hanging over my desk! The "details" in my earthy color scheme upstairs forced me to relegate the predominantly blue and green peice to the dungeon down here.

As an artist, I am very detail-oriented in my creativity, almost to a fault, as it causes me to take twice (?) the amount of time to finish anything that I start. However, I don't really have time to pay attention to detail anymore when it comes to cleaning my house! I'm lucky if I can get some big, broad strokes in to make it look presentable.

But those aren't the details that matter anyway, as you point out in your article. When it comes to being thoughtful of those that we care about, it's definitely the "little things" that mean the most, wouldn't you agree?

Take good care,
Lisa
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...absolutely I agree. You've "painted" the big picture quite nicely chica...and with plenty 'o detail.

I used to have a print of Starry Night...and a host of other prints I brought back from a trip to Europe a thousand years ago. Each print I purchased meant something to me...and as I was on a limited (very limited) budget, I had to choose carefully. I still have a few of these prints in the closet, but I've given several away through the years. Whenever I come across one of these famous prints (in my closet, in a restaurant, on TV) I always remember the little things...and I always smile.

Ciao Bella...enjoy your Starry Night and have a great week.
Ballpoint Wren said…
I love the details, too, Teri. I can't watch sporting events unless I know a little background on the participants, like how they're winning one for the Gipper, or whatever. Heh!

I'm glad your man appreciates you now! Far better to find that appreciation over a knee problem than a prostate problem!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie...so right you are, and I'm glad you're a detailer too!

I drive my family crazy with Tivo and basketball - especially the Lakers. I want to see every little thing.

Ciao bella...have a great week!
molly said…
Teri, love this post. The title is great all by itself.

It's all in the details, I believe you're right. I don't pay much attention to details in much of my life, but as a practicing OR nurse, I paid lots of attention to detail and that's what made me good at my job. I left no stone unturned and no question unasked in my care of my patients, because a detail left unattended could result in tragedy. A decimal point of medication, a pressure point unprotected - all could lead to harm.

I like the point you make about selfishness - you're good to others because ultimately it makes you feel good. I believe that even the most altruistic of us are motivated by selfishness. Simply put, giving and helping feel good. So doesn't that make a certain amount of selfishness a good and positive thing?

Your words, as always, are wise and wonderful.
Shankari said…
hey, where did my comment go?

*lost in blogosphere*
Teri, you've inspired me! As always, I caught myself thinking, "How could this be twisted into a relationship topic?" (Or maybe it's just that I am twisted, I'm not sure...) So what happens when a detail person is married to someone who works best at the strategic level? (Isn't that a diplomatic way to put it?) I'll have to give this some thought. It'd make a good post or weekly question, I'm sure.

Superbly written as always, Teri!

Ciao back atcha!
Andrew ("To Love, Honor and Dismay")
G said…
Ah, the devil in the details. I have to agree that it's all the little details that make the big picture clear. Wonderful post. I do like how you tie it all in and here's to your hubby's continued good health.

~ G
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Molly...thank you for your kind words, and I'm glad you can relate to my details. Your details sharpened my point in a way that I could not. Details can so often mean the difference between life or death. I appreciate your "no stone unturned" philosophy as I am sure those who have benefited from your expertise do also...even if they don't know it, or even know you.

Here's to you chica - and others like you.

Ciao Bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...Yes, the blogger beast is hungry again and seems to be eating my comments once again.

As I don't know what you said in your original comment, I can only guess. I believe you are one to appreciate the details. I believe you are also a "thinker" and can relate to my details. I believe you think, therefore you are! ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Dr. Andrew...you humble me when you say I have inspired you. I take this as a wonderful compliment. Your question is one that I have pondered often. I look forward to seeing your readers' responses. I am sure if you choose to write about this that it will be enlightening and "detailed." ;)

Ciao Andrew...have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear G...clever chica that you are - you hit upon the hot spot (g-spot) of this article: my husband's health and where we go from here with his knee and all the details we (I) must attend to. Now that I have written this, acknowledged this, I can take off the gloves and fight the not so good and not so clean fight that I must fight. I will take the high road and attend to the details, but I must also be prepared for those professionals who want to reroute our journey to the low road.

Ciao bella...I appreciate your good wishes and your ability to read between the lines. Have a great week.
Leann said…
I'm more of a "big picture" person. I know that attention to details is my acheles(sp) heel. I try and try to get the details and invariably fail at it. It got me into BIG trouble in boot camp. Spent an aweful day at hard core intense exercises to punish me for that lack....obviously it did no good..lol

I totally envy people who can pick up on the small stuff.
Debbie said…
So my question is what does it mean when you look for both but at different times. Now I am concerned about myself, nah not really! HAve a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...as I said, some people don't deal well with the details. It doesn't mean they are inferioir...just different. We need the big picture people and the detailed people. Diversity is a good thing chica...and yes, the details have got me in trouble few times too. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...right and left brained I see. I know several people like this and I think they are all Geminis. ;)

Good luck with your double vision chica...should make life interesting to say the least.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Nicole said…
I wish I could say I "suffered" from all of these "maladies". I've definitely got the over-thinking and the details down but I can't claim to be a doer. You're my hero. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...back at you chica!

I love that you use the term maladies, Very appropriate. Next time I am being too detailed for my friends, I'm going to excuse myself and tell them I've come down with a "Malady." Another term for my glossary. I Love it! Well, that and ass(hats). Ha!

Ciao bella...hope you steer clear of all maladies and ass(hats) this week.
Reach said…
Teri,
You would be the perfect aviator with the attributes you describe; however, I prefer you the writer for your inspirations. Through this time, I have learned so much from your views and thought provoking articles.

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...you humble me. Thank you for such kind words. You always encourage me to "reach" for the stars. With you I have found one. ;)

Ciao for now my friend...and have a great week.
Reach said…
Teri,
In the true spirit of the Samhain "Fire Festival", may your family and you enjoy the Evening of "All Hallows" of the Hallowed day- Happy Halloween.
Sideways Chica said…
Thank you...and back at you. I have just turned out the lights, blown out the candles, turned off the scary sounds and taken off the witch costume. Yes, we were the neighborhood haunted house. ;)

Ciao for now...and Happy Halloween.
Sideways Chica said…
Okay...so I wonder how detailed you all really are. Only Chris noted what was on my radar, albeit with a few hints. What about the rest of you...notice anything different on my radar screen? If you can't see it clearly, then click on it and you'll see what some of my important little details are. ;)
TS said…
You make me happy.

Read lots. Will come back for more.

:)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanmay...glad to hear it, and welcome! I post a new article every Friday.

Ciao for now...and have a great week.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred