Does anybody really know what time it is?

On a recent trip to visit our son in college, my husband and I needed to adjust our watches to accommodate for a new time zone. Not just the hour time difference in Colorado, or the difference between our sons 10 minutes and our 10 minutes...we needed to adjust for the time difference between our son’s life and our lives and the thought processes and priorities that our differences entail.

You see, there have been times when we haven’t adjusted our watches...and frustration, anger and hurt feelings ensued. There have been times when we’ve been focused on our timetable and priorities and totally consumed with our timing. There have also been times when our son has been tuned into his timetable and completely ignored our time zone. I learned this lesson long ago—and I mentally adjusted my watch before we left for the airport. My husband...not so much.

Our destination for the weekend was “The Republic of Boulder.” It’s not officially a republic, but it’s called this by many Coloradans in recognition of the liberal lifestyle of this little blue city in a big red state. It’s also home to the University of Colorado at Boulder, better know as the Buffaloes. Surrounded by stunning landscape, including breathtaking views of the famous flat irons, the road to Boulder beckons you through the valley and into what is definitely a quaint college town. Victorian architecture abounds, as do frat houses, eateries of all ethnicities and stores full of Tibetan wares. On our second day in Boulder, my husband pointed out an “Old Tibet” store. I remarked that there might be more of Tibet on Boulder’s Pearl Street Promenade than anywhere else in the world, except Tibet, of course. I love these stores and generally walk through each one admiring the handcrafted goods and enjoying the frankincense that eventually overtakes my senses and invariably puts me into a buying induced state. I always come home from one of these trips with a variety of scarves, purses, belts, jewelry and other easy to pack gifts for friends and family.

After landing at the Denver Airport, we attempted to connect with our son via cell phone It took a few tries as he was not answering his phone. His voicemail, which holds at least 25 messages, was full. I laughed when my husband wondered aloud why our son’s voicemail was full. I think this was my first clue that my husband had yet to adjust his watch. I simply remarked that of course his mailbox is full. Eventually our son saw one of my five “missed calls” and called us as we were in route to Boulder in the rental car. He sounded congested...and said he was hungry.

We arrived at our bed and breakfast within an hour. Five minutes later our hungry son was on the porch with my husband. He looked a bit thin, but my heart warmed as I glanced out the window and saw father and son hug. I stood back admiring the view. It was a poignant moment that made me catch my breath. I remembered this familiar view from years gone by...and had almost forgotten how wonderful it was.

Soon enough, I got a huge bear hug from the boy and we headed off to eat lunch at a wonderful café just off the promenade. As we walked and talked, I could tell that our son was more relaxed than I had seen him in a while. Even though he was coming down with a cold, his eyes were clear and his heart was full of appreciation that we were there. I could sense the same feelings in my husband.

It was at lunch that our son told us about the “paint can through his bedroom window” incident. It seems that all of his bedding was covered in gray paint. After lunch we took an expensive tour of Bed, Bath and Beyond...for two and a half hours. While we were in route to the store, my husband remarked that we would be in and out of there in a flash. I remained silent as I once again realized that he hadn’t adjusted his watch to our son’s time zone. I wasn’t going to tell him that the nap he desperately needed, after only three hours of sleep the night before, would not happen for at least another two hours.

Now one could ask (and rightly so) why we spent so much time with our twenty year old son in a store that sells house wares, which are generally not a high priority ticket for college students. The answer lies in our son—and his very specific and defined ideas on what he likes—right down to the color, texture, feel and quality. Yes, our second son is much more detailed than anyone, save me, gives him credit for being. It’s true that his older brother is more organized, but the younger son knows what he wants and won’t settle for less. Cost is not the factor...or time. It’s comfort, both physically and visually that always takes precedence.

After more than two hours of picking out sheets, a duvet and a down comforter, including a down feather top mattress cover, we piled everything into our son’s truck and headed back toward our B & B—or so we thought. At one point, our son started to make an unexpected left turn. My husband quickly asked where he was going. Our son replied that he was taking us to his house (which he shares with nine other students) so we could see it and help him put together his new bedding. I felt, not heard, the groan from my husband as his much-needed nap was pushed back even further. I softly touched his knee and he remained silent. Just as we were turning toward our son’s “not a frat house, but a frat house,” his phone rang and we were saved by the bell…or rather by whatever song it was that blasted from his pocket. It seems he needed to meet up with some friends for a study group. Next thing you know, we were back at our B& B and, after arranging for our son to pick us up at 8:00 p.m. for dinner that night, my husband was napping comfortably, but not so silently. Me? I escaped the noise and headed out to do my part in freeing Tibet...by my patronage, of course, of the old Tibet, the new Tibet and the Tibet of tomorrow that dominates the Pearl Street Promenade. My favorite purchase is a multi-colored scarf made from 100% recycled silk with a tag that proudly says “handcrafted in Nepal.” I bought it as a gift, but a few hours later it casually hung around my neck. This was my symbolic gesture that I was on Boulder time. Well, that and the “Free Tibet” bumper sticker that came with the scarf.

When I finally returned to the B & B, I only had a few minutes to freshen up before our son was to arrive and drive us to his favorite Italian Restaurant. When the phone rang at 10 minutes after eight and our son asked where we were, I casually glanced at my husband and said, “Waiting for you to pick us up.” As our son explained that he thought we were picking him up, I saw the look on my husband’s face. He already had one cocktail and was thinking that he was the only driver insured for the rental car. Our driving meant that he would have no more cocktails that evening. This was his dilemma. My concern was the limited parking in front of the B & B, and how hard it would be later to find a spot close by...and not governed by one of those confusing “no parking anytime except…” signs. Regardless of our individual concerns, I quickly said we’ll be there in 10…and our son said make it 20 so that he could take a shower. As I hung up the phone, I quickly told my husband (before he could say a word) to adjust his watch immediately. I explained that we were now on Patrick time...and when in Rome, or Boulder...or any college town for that matter...you know the rest.

Off we went to our son’s house. We helped him put together his bed and clean up the paint mess. We also met a few of his roommates. We finally arrived (over a half-hour late) for our dinner reservation. We got the best table in the house with a wonderful waiter...and the food was delicious. Even though it was well past my husband’s normal bedtime, it was over dessert that he and his watch finally started ticking on our son’s time zone. They were perfectly synchronized as they devoured the Banana’s Foster Crepes in the center of the table. Just like at home, all it took was a little ice cream to bring them together.

From that point on, it was my husband who forged ahead with gusto, and if not with complete understanding, then with respect and consideration for our son’s time zone. Even the next day’s three-hour trip to Costco trip, complete with two overflowing baskets, didn’t bother him. In fact, he enjoyed it, and he enjoyed seeing what our son likes these days. As they walked the aisles, side by side, they were in perfect step. No more jet lag. Just father and son out fooling around...and eating every free sample and weighing in afterward on what each liked best.

I grinned when they stopped to admire some watches in a display case. It was then that I thought to myself… “Does anybody really know what time it is?” It’s a lyric from a Chicago song, but its Colorado timing was perfect. I got to see father and son come together once again...and acknowledge that my little boy is not so little anymore, nor is he a boy—and my husband, big and responsible as he is, is still a little boy at heart.

Time is an interesting concept. Simple and complex, it involves our past, our present and our future. It can keep people apart and it can bring people together. And it changes constantly. As we were packing our bags into our rental car to leave for the airport, our son made sure we knew the best route back to the airport, and the most convenient location of a gas station. His timing was perfect. Seems he had adjusted a bit over the weekend to our time zone and priorities. He didn’t even rib us about getting to the airport two hours early.

We can’t set our watches to accommodate one another all of the time, but we can allow a bit of leeway for jet lag, daylight saving time and different priorities. We taught our son to be independent and to march to the beat of his own drummer. Why then should we expect him to keep our time? Indeed. Why would we expect anyone to keep our time…when something different invariably winds each of our watches? We never know what makes someone else “tick,” and sometimes finding out involves setting back the clock or moving it forward. Or…we can just stay in the same time zone and miss one heck of a journey.

So yes, we had a great “time” in the “Republic of Boulder.” I brought back something special from this trip…other than my multi-colored scarf. I brought back a new, more adjustable watch, as did my husband. Time is relative, just ask Einstein. It speeds up or slows down depending on how fast one thing is moving. So, the next time someone asks me what time it is, my answer will be, “What time would you like, my watch is adjustable.”

After all, “Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?”

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

"Just like at home, all it took was a little ice cream to bring them together."

Awwww... Is that another version of "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach"? Sounds like a great visit, Teri! And good for you for recognizing the different time zones.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Pia...yes, time can stand still. I've had a few scary "standing still" moments myself. And the passage of time is just that. What I aim to remember is that it passes differently in just about every corner of the world, every household, and as you say, in every mind.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Andrew...check out that new photo. Looking good Doc!

In answer to your question, yes. With only testosterone in my household, food is definitely a common denominator that brings all together...with ice cream as the ringer! In fact, I've already started a new article for next week all about food.

Ciao my friend...have a great week!
A Cat said…
Thanks for the warm thoughts this morning, Teri. I miss you all!!!
Kacey said…
Your son has hit upon something I have been trying to express to my darlin' hubby recently. That is.... I need visual comfort in my life. Blight on the landscape hurts my inner soul....I love beauty and time is short after seventy. Here's hoping that the world cleans up it's act while we still have a few minutes to enjoy that which our eyes behold. Quick, Cinderella, midnight approaches!
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

This post was especially meaningful to me because I have spent a lot of time in Boulder, so I had the added benefit of mental illustrations to your story.

And the content also hit home. My son's clock has never run at the same speed as mine. I am starting to learn to adjust mine so that we can exit the house in the morning without tantrums (mine or his).

Even your details were relevant to my life- just this week, I, Betty, a non-shopper, spent untold hours driving around the city in search of the perfect down comforter, which I then would not purchase until I found an acceptable duvet with just the right thread count AND color. My 9-year-old son, eager to abort the endless spree, selected the duvet, which did turn out to be perfect. The feather bed/glorified mattress topper will have to wait until next week, when we've recovered from this week's search. I don't even want to start thinking about the pillows yet.

Hugs,
Betty
Sar said…
I know what time it is - time for you to come join my 11-11 bash, Teri! :)
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

Isn't it funny how everyone's clock is different? I always say that my in-laws are in a completely different time zone altogether, as they are never less than two hours late to anything! Now we know better; we tell them to come at 6 when we mean 8. That way they show up at 8:30 (and I'm not kidding)!

Take good care,
Lisa
All families seem to have "time" issues. The older I become, the less observant I am at the time. Our own darling son came to pick me up this evening and was miffed because I was still heavily involved in a project I just couldn't leave until Monday. I knew if I didn't finish, a weekend of "not-quite-senior moments" would takeover and I wouldn't remember what I was supposed to do! I'm sure my son wanted me to do more than re-set my clock! LOL

www.Carine-whatscooking.blogspot.com
Reach said…
Teri,
In my humble opinion- this article was perfection! Wow, as you brought together something from my past and relayed it to something of my present. As timing is everything, this could not have come at a more opportune "Time".

It is fantastic the "Boys" had a good time together, in the city that Mork resides. Did I just age myself?

OK, recycled Silk? I may have been born at night, but not last night- somebody please explain how that one works? Does the silk worm mind?

Anyway, my best to you and yours-

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear A Cat...silly old alley cat, I sent you email over a week ago...and yes, we miss you too chica. ;)

I know you enjoyed (as you always do) reading about the family. You would love Boulder...perfect for your time zone too.

Ciao Bella...take care.
Sideways Chica said…
Kacey...if anyone understands visual comfort, it's me. I think that's where the boy gets it from. Something may feel comfortable, but it also has to be comfortable to the eye...and to the soul. Trust me...he did his best to comfort his soul while we were there. We did too!

Ciao Cinderella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
My dear Betty...how happy I am to hear from you. ;)

Yes, I can see that you do know Boulder. I like that you could visualize along with my words. Boulder is a very unique town.

I also think it's very interesting that you and I have been on similar shopping sprees...and I hate shopping too! About those pillows, thank goodness they were spared the paint. We might still be in Bed, Bath and Beyond trying out, touching, smelling, etc.

Also, congratulations on synchronizing your watch with the child's. It took a while to figire it out on our end, and then when they leave home we tend to forget. Don't blink too many times dear friend, as I can tell you first hand that the "time" flies by.

Ciao bella...hugs, hugs, and more hugs!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Sar...I came, I commented and I enjoyed. Thanks for the invite chica!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...we have friends like this. We always ask them to bring the desert - never the appetizers. ;)

Sounds like you have the timing down perfectly chica.

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Carine...I know what you mean. I lose track of time also - especially when I'm on a deadline!

Your son will learn to handle it -- as roles eventually reverse themselves. Don't worry until he gets you an egg timer! What am I thinking. You're the cook extraordinaire...you already have an egg timer!

Ciao Bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...thank you. ;) This one was special, as are all my essays about the family.

Mork? Mork who?! Just kidding big guy. As for the recycled silk, that gave me pause as well, but I was afraid to ask. Not the silk worm mind you, but the clerks!

Ciao my friend...thank you so much for your kind words. And do please have a great "time" doing whatever you're doing!
Ballpoint Wren said…
Paint can through the window? Poor kid! I don't think either of my boys would ever willingly spend more than 5 minutes in Bed, Bath & Beyond, though. Heh!

My youngest has a time zone all of his own. I tend to slide into it myself, which drives his brother and his dad insane. I wonder where the kid gets it?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...where indeed? Just like our youngest, I always go for comfort first...and I too have my own schedule. Both rebels in our own minds I suppose. ;)

As for the paint...just you wait. All these things come to those that have boys, of this I am convinced!

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Leann said…
"liberal lifestyle" brings back a memory of a visit to Boulder in which a girlfriend and I were seeking a place to swim. We were directed (by a local business person) to a reservoir just outside of town. After getting our towels and sunscreen out and making ourselves comfortable, it wasn't too long before we were joined by other sun worshippers. NUDE sun worshippers. Seems the local watering hole was a nude beach. What fun the clerk at the business must have been having at our expense. We were barely 18 and needless to say, did not partake of that particular location for very long.

I am still learning to adjust to my daughter's sense of time. I'm a "go in and get what you need and out again" person and she's a "oh I need to pick up this or that and spend hours making decisions" person. I must always gear up for those particular adventures with her.

It's nice to hear the visit with your son went well and your husband learned to slow down a bit.

Blessings
Leann
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...I'm not a bit surprised by your almost skinny dipping experience in the Republic of Boulder. I'll have to relate this to my son and see if it still exists...and if by chance he's been there! ;)

Sound like you and your daughter are working out the "timing." Patience is a virtue...an overrated one as far as some are concerned, but I'm sure you two will synchronize your watches soon.

Ciao bella...good to hear from you.
Big Dave T said…
Reminds me of my college days when I studied the cultural differences of various nationalities. The differences in how peoples of various lands dealt with time and schedules were amazing.

I'd write more, but it's time for my siesta.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...I wouldn't want to cut in on your siesta "time." Just be sure to leave a little "time" for the fiesta as well. ;)

Your study sounds interesting. I've always been enthralled with the concept of communication and languages. Not so different than the time issue I suspect. Without the correct timing then communication suffers , and without proper communication timing loses it's value. Wow...pretty deep for a Sunday afternoon in the hood. Think I'll join you in that siesta...figuratively, of course.

Ciao big Dave...hope you're feeling better, and it's good to hear your "voice" again.
JaneDoughnut said…
Paint can through the windows? Apparently this is some sort of weird frat tradition that needs to end. A friend of mine still has scars from a paint can thrown into their house, landing in the fireplace and exploding.

As far as getting our time adjusted - yeah, I could stand to do that myself. I'm on my own "event time" and constantly run late.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doughnutjane...yes, our son was fortunate to not have been home at the time. Even though he suspects who did it, he has no proof and as he lives right next door to a frat, it was written off as a "harmless" prank. Not so harmless if you ask me and my bank account. ;)

Ciao bella...and good luck with your "timing."
G said…
I so relate to your son's appreciation of quality. It is for this reason that I prefer to shop alone (experience has taught me that it's the best way).

Oh I shop for gifts the same way. It's to be expected - after all we don't choose things that we don't like as gifts.

You know - I think I'll just throw my watch out altogether :) Fun post, Teri.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear G...actually I should fess up. I gave up wearing a watch years ago. I lived on deadline after deadline with big clocks on the office walls, a clock in my car and on my phone and computer. I took the time off my wrist and lightened my load a bit...and I haven't looked back, but I have had a few interesting conversations that started when I had to ask someone if they knew what time it was. Where do you think I got the closing line to this essay?

Ciao bella...take care and have a great week.
Debbie said…
Time what the heck is that? I always feel as if I am on someone else's time... One day I will get this stuff figured out. Sorry I have been MIA for a while again Time is Run on someone else's schedule.
Me said…
i have been in a zombie time zone in the past week!!
sorry i have not commented before on this post, i feel like a student missing doing her homework...for real!
very warm post and very nice things you said about your relationship with your son, so nice! have a great night and hope that i wont miss my assignment next week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...no worries. I knew you would be back in "time." ;)

Ciao bella...hope you get to slow down a bit and enjoy something on your own time this week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...and the zombies. I hope you catch up with yourself soon. I know the feeling. ;)

Also...I think you will enjoy this Friday's post...as you so enjoy cooking. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week and please get all of your homework done!
Debbie said…
alright I figured it out HOW TO REALLY MESS UP YOUR "TIME". remember I was not having any time. Ok so now I got sick and I feel even more confused and strange not doing all the things I was doing before. Oh boy! and I am frightened of what awaits me when I do return to "real" time. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...getting sick does mess up our time, but it is also our body's way of saying "time" out. If only we could get our minds and the real world to go along with the program. ;)

Ciao bella...feel better soon.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred