I don't, but I do.

At a party recently, someone brought up the “I don’t” trend of older couples. It was said by one friend that there’s not enough motivation anymore to say “I do” if children are not in the master plan. I know several of these couples. I’m not referring to couples who have “his” and/or “her” children. I’m talking about couples who have no children, on either side, and are approaching (or just past) the half century mark. Many have been together for years (and years), and still have not tied the proverbial knot—or have they?

Some of these couples are content with their “single but almost married” status, and others not so much. There’s this one case in which the chica would really like to be married. It’s not the wedding she wants per se, but the ring and its symbolic commitment in the eyes of our society. Her significant other has held out for over eight years. Before the comments come in saying that it’s time for this couple to fish or cut bait...or get off the pot, read on. If you still feel the same way in the end, then so be it.

In each case, love (or the lack thereof) is not the factor keeping these couples from walking down the aisle. Money (or the fear of co-mingling funds) is not the reason either. Once I came to this determination, I was intrigued and surprised. Isn’t love and money (or the love of money) the Holy Grail that we all seek from the moment we learn to say “I want.” And don’t we want to shout out to the Joneses that we have plenty of both? Apparently not. If these couples had planned to have children together, or even if they had children from a previous relationship, I think the “I do’s” would have been done already. As it happens, each of these couples met in their late thirties to mid forties and have steadfastly built their lives together...one “I don’t” after another.

Now one could interject something here about the decline of morality in our society—or the fact that divorce has become so commonplace that it’s eroded the once highly valued, and expected, trips to the altar for young couples in love. Sorry folks, I’m not talking about morality here or the decline of values…nor am I talking about younger couples. Okay…I hear my friends grumbling that their not that old…yet! My response is that age is only a state of mind and it’s not my fault that some of my friends don’t know which state theyre in!

The reason I question the validity of the “I don’t” status of these couples, is the pains they have all taken to ensure the safety, security and well-being of their respective significant others. Several own property together. Others have life insurance policies and trusts naming one another as his or her primary beneficiary. Most have advanced health directives ensuring that their significant other will be by their side in case of an emergency…and able to speak on their behalf if necessary. Wow. I know married couples, with kids, who’ve never even thought about drafting their wills or naming official guardians for their children.

This speaks volumes to me. Think about it. These “I don’t” couples have put the person who stands to inherit everything in charge of ending their life…pulling their plug. In a marriage, this right is usually inherent, unless congress decides to get involved. Nevertheless, these “I don’t” couples aren’t married and they don’t have this given right; yet they’re secure enough in their relationships to commit in writing to a conflict of interest that is based on much more than love, much more than money, and much more than the fear of divorce. These couples are committed in their trust for one another. T-r-u-s-t. A five letter word defined as “reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence.

So, without preaching about morality, without judging, and without questioning their reluctance to make their unions official, I look at these couples with newfound respect and admiration. It takes a lot of trust, a lot of integrity and a lot of confidence to plan for the future, including retirement, illness and ultimately death, with (and for) someone you don’t have to plan for in the eyes of the law...or in the judgmental eyes of society.

It’s true these friends haven’t tied the traditional “knot” of holy matrimony (yet), but if for some reason their relationships ended tomorrow, I’m guessing there would be as much (or more) untying of knots involved as in the dissolution of a traditional union. I’m sure there would be as much heartache as well.

So please…the next time you come across a “mature” couple who “hasn’t committed” themselves traditionally to one another, don’t assume that it’s because they’re unsure of their relationship or not fully committed to one another. It may be that they’re more committed than some married couples…and it’s possible that they’ve given their future together more thought, more consideration and more respect than we married folk. It’s also likely that what we take for granted, they don’t. Sure, there are the sticky issues of health insurance and social security, but the current states of these matters certainly don’t make me feel smug, secure or superior in morality. In fact, these two issues make little old married me feel a bit distrustful and fearful of the future. Therefore, I’m taking a page from these mature, not married couples. It’s time to review my investments, insurance policies, trusts and beneficiaries and make sure my married “knot” is as securely tied as their not married “knots.”

One more thing. Please don’t think I’m advocating “I don’t” versus “I do.” I’m not. I’m just pointing out that we married couples don’t have the corner on love, happiness, integrity, morality…or most importantly, trust. Some trust is instinctive, while other trust is earned. Some trust is fleeting, while other trust lasts forever. There’s the instinctive trust of a newborn in his mother’s arms. There’s the devoted trust of a pet that his owner will always provide. There’s the hopeful trust of a man and a woman when they say “I do,” and then there’s the unique trust of man and a woman when they say, “I don’t, but I do.” And I do trust these friends to know (and choose) what’s best for their relationships and their futures—for better or worse. And I now pronounce them friends for life.

Dedicated to all of my “single but almost married” friends. You know who you are. And to the chica still holding out for the platinum ring...it will come in time, but until then I want you to know that youre already in one of the most committed relationships Ive seen...and Im knotkidding.

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Sideways Chica said…
Dear Readers...I have posted early as I am off to Colorado to freeze my arse off. I look forward to your comments and will get back to each of you when I get back and thaw out. ;)

Ciao for now...and have a great weekend!

P.S. Speaking of the "I do's," I am reminded that this week is the one year anniversary for when I began posting my weekly articles here - and I haven't missed a week. Whew! Thank you all for being such loyal readers and making this worthwhile. I've enjoyed bantering about my musings with you and look forward to bantering with you all in the weeks to come and with new readers as well.
Nicole said…
I have an aunt in almost this exact situation. Even though she's been living with the same man for over a decade they seem to have no intentions of making it "official". I assumed it was because they've both been married before they met each other and decided that scene was not for them.
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

I know several couples that have been together for decades without so much as an "I may" in their future! Of course, their kids were all grown when they became couples, which always makes a big difference. I personally needed to be "legitimate" (for lack of a better word), whether it was because of my Catholic upbringing or, more likely, the fact that we both had small children to be concerned about.

I do promise you that I started to write this week's post earlier today before I read yours, so any similarities are just that...I hope it doesn't look like I'm plagiarizing!! I was telling the story of how my husband and I met and ended up married, so hopefully it will complement what you are so thoughfully describing. Besides, we were in our 30's at the time...mere children!!

Take good care,
Lisa
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...and you may be right. To each his (or her) own is my philosophy. I wonder if they've made provisions for each other. Actually, I was surprised to find out how many people I know (married, single, single in relationships, etc.) who don't have wills or trusts or medical directives - or haven't kept them updated.

Ciao bella...thanks for stopping in and have a great week. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...legit is okay, for whatever reason. My point is simply that some of these couples are actually more committed than a lot of us realize. Also...I was in my early thirties when I married (for the first time)! And yes, some of the motivation came from the fact that my stepsons were very young. ;)

Ciao bella...I'll pop over and see what you've been brewing up.
Me said…
Teri, great read as usual!!
I only knew one couple that was living together and not married. She was in her early 60's and he is in his mid 70's, but i felt that they were committed to each other a lot more than married couples are. When she got sick for couple of years, he was beside her bed and taking care of her to the fullest…when she died he even took her ashes to her home land, talk about real commitment!
As for me personally, i think my background and upbringing will affect my decision about this arrangement and i would want the "legal" commitment more than i need the platinum ring! Have a safe trip and try to enjoy the cold weather.
Ballpoint Wren said…
We know a couple who has lived together for almost 2 decades. They call a marriage license "a piece of paper that doesn't mean anything significant at all."

Then again, they've filed all the other paperwork you mentioned to make sure each other is protected if one of them dies or becomes infirm. Hubby keeps telling them they could've done all that with much less fuss or muss just by getting married.

He's a big teaser, Hubby.
Reach said…
Teri,
I believe the age old and universal recognition of marriage has driven companies to simplify their services. With the rise in the "I don't" couples, came the state's common-law marriage; however, this does not apply to all couples. Thereby forcing a new catagory, which these couples must face every detail in full. Finally, giving an impression of better planning on the couple's part.

Congratulations for the annual achievement! Next month will mark my connection to your site and I can not believe that it has been one year. I like to think, even though I'm 100% "Guy", not only the "Chicas" take something away from your visions and insights.

Reach
how true! my husband has an aunt, with 3 "unions" behind her, but has been happiest with the almost marriage she's been in for the last 10 years. I think it goes back to the saying "what's right for one is not necessarily right for all".
I also have several close chicas, who have never tied the knot, but would've dearly loved too!
another great one!
www.Carine-whatscooking.blogspot.com
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
This is the Age of the Confused. On the one hand, we have the I don'ts who name their partners in their wills, and on the other, we have the I dos who need a prenuptial agreement before they say the words......I'm traditional, though - and it seems a lot simpler to say one is married rather than saying someone's a significant-other-to-whom-you're-almost-married-but-not-officially. What do the "I don't" folks have against marriage, and what is keeping them from tying the knot? In most cases there's some phobia or aversion, or fear of dealing with divorce at the bottom of it. Or a tacit acknowledgement of the fragility of relationships.

As for people not writing wills, this has nothing to do with married/unmarried status. Some of us hate the thought of examining our lives and finances, and planning for our after-death. Yes, this is necessary planning, but is also easy to put off dealing with :).

Hope Colorado is treating you well,
Priya.
Leann said…
O.k., I'll be the one to open the can of worms.

This post EXACTLY states the argument for same sex unions. They are generally more committed than those who've said "I do" and share a ring.

Nuff said.
molly said…
I had a friend, male and not boyfriend, who said that the only reason to get married was to have children. I disagreed. I thought, and continue to think that the only reason to get married is to remain faithful, cause for me, without the promise and ceremony and legality, I don't think I'd have taken it seriously.

After 21 years of marriage I've never strayed. So for me and husband, things have worked out.

I don't personally know of any couples like the ones you talk about, but don't feel myself to be anyone's judge. If it works for them, good. I don't think morality is at issue here. Morality is about good and evil, and being involved in a loving relationship with/without marriage doesn't make you good or evil.

Have a good weekend, stay warm.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...as always you see both sides. This is my point...to each his or her own and marching to our own beat...however we hear it.

Ciao bella...take care and have a great week. And yes, there is a computer with Internet access right next to the fireplace here in the wonderful B&B where I am very comfortably camped out. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie...I know a few like this myself, married, single and single but in long term relationships. In writing this I knew I approached a subject that could be controversial, but I wanted to make a point to my committed "couple" friends - just as I often do to my married friends. I also thought that a few married and single friends might take the cue and get those advanced directives and trusts done, before it's too late. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week with that teaser of a husband.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...Good point. Better planning for all indeed!

I must add that I don't think there is anything "common" about marriage. Still my preference - but then again I consider myself to be pretty darn lucky. Shhhh! Don't tell the husband - I like to keep him guessing a bit! ;)

Ciao my friend...and thanks for being here since "almost" the beginning.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...yep, that's my point. Thanks for sharpening it a bit!

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...yes I agree with you on all counts, except to say that some "commitment" shy people are not always shy of the "commitment," but the process of making a decision. I know one of these guys extremely well. He agonizes over every decision...so the one of marriage is overwhelming to him. He'll get off the pot soon though I think. He's had eight years to get used to the idea. ;)

Ciao bella...have agreat week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...no worries, and no can of worms as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure others might not feel the same, and as this mama doesn't like to preach (at least not too much), I left this subject between the lines for all to see.

I would only say that "more" committed might be "just as committed" in my view. And changing "those" to some would be more appropriate. My circle of friends includes a lot of diversity, which allows me an inside track view and discourages generalization.

Ciao bella...have a great week and enjoy the worms!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Molly...well said chica! If it works for them, indeed. Just because it doesn't work for me...well you know what I mean, you already said it!


I'm 17 years with the same man...married 13. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ciao Bella...and I'm staying plenty warm. Thanks and have a great week.
Kacey said…
Dear Teri, People of my generation married or they had no priviliges of marriage. It was a great way to get a husband --- you want a little, well, give me a little ring.
Really older people today are staying single because finances favor staying single.
With the advent of women's lib, the males among us developed gender confusion. If they can have a convenient woman for sex, cooking, laundry, dishes, child care and she brings in a paycheck, too? ---- What guy in his right mind would give up keeping his own money, owning a motorcycle, a bassboat, playing baseball and bowling, and hunting with the guys just to make said woman legal? I think that if you remain single, you never totally show your real self to your roommate --- he can leave his dirty socks in the dining room and you will pick them up rather than act like a wife and yell.
We just celebrated fifty-three years of marriage a couple of weeks ago. Then, we drove to our Florida home on Thursday in 19 straight hours. We tumbled into bed at 4:00 a.m. and awakened snuggled together in the middle of the queen size bed like a pair o newly weds. Marriage is a lovely safety net for two people, especially at the end of life. The sex might not be as hot, but the love keeps the pilot light glowing.
JaneDoughnut said…
You make a great point with the lengths unmarried couples must go to for the legal benefits of marriage - financial stability, inheritance issues, medical, etc. I do plan to say "I do" at some point - but when my bf and I began to pool our resources in the way you talked about, I felt that said a lot. There's also the shared holidays, families, birthdays, milestones... There are indeed lots of ways outside of marriage to show and build committment.
Debbie said…
This whole concept works for many. But You have to remember those who feel they should always marry. "Take my Dad, four other women did !" ;) He wants to make sure he does not live or die alone, so he keeps trying to find that one. I think this one will do, but he needs to focus on the loving part and not the will she be there part. Work on the relationship and she will always be there. Oh well to each there own (x4).
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...as always you make your valid points and leave me with a smile. ;)

Yes, the roommate sock syndrome is a factor, and the motorcycle and bass boats as well. Yet I know a few reluctant chicas as well. I guess we really never know what goes on behind closed doors...and that's just fine with me as long as we don't have closed minds. Thank you for weighing in with your wise words of experience and wisdom.

Enjoy Florida my friend...and the spooning!

Ciao...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doughnut Jane...welcome! You know what you want and you you appreciate what you have. A wise chica indeed!

I post a new article every Friday. Thanks for stopping by. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...Very funny chica...and wise. Hopefully dear old dad will recognize what you see...and the right one will choose him! ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Koi said…
I couldn't agree more about this marriage not being the end all be all of it all. Both of my parents are on marriage number 3. My Dad has a keeper, my mother on the other hand is miserable and I think only staying for fear of having another failed marriage.

On the unmarried end, I have two beatiful friends who have been together for 5 years and have not tied the not nor plan to. Friends and family keep asking and they keep diverting the question. They come to visit my husband and I once a year and they are every bit as in love and committed as we married folk are.

Marriage a family does not make. It's love that does.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear MamaLilith...Welcome! I keep going back to your words "Marriage a family does not make. It's love that does."

Now why didn't I think of that?

Ciao bella...I post a new article every Friday. Thanks for stopping by. ;)
Chris said…
I think, so long as all the relevant legal hurdles have been ...um... hurdled, the actual exchanging of rings is somewhat irrelevant. At that point, it's more for the sake of symbolism than any practical concern.

Love is strong or weak based on its own merits. Dressing it up and taking it to church won't make it any more or less so.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...I like your take on the hurdling! ;)

I think your comment "merits" a toast: Here's to dressing appropriately, not just dressing up.

Ciao LLB...enjoy!

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred