Oh no! I'm Invited!

(This article was originally posted November of 2005. I know that some of you have already read it, but I know that many of you have not. I wish you all a wonderful, safe and delicious Thanksgiving. And now, I am off to Hollywoodland to enjoy the view and my brother's hospitality...and yes, I am bringing the dessert!)

Why is it that the invitations we don’t get can be as agonizing as the ones we do receive? We’ve all experienced the pain of not getting an invitation. Like the Christmas party that all of your friends were invited to, but not you. How about the time when several of your friends got together for a movie—without calling you? This always hurts, so we put on a good show and say that we were busy and wouldn’t have been able to go anyway—even if we weren’t and we could have. Sometimes not being invited is due to miscommunication. Someone was supposed to call, but forgot. Perhaps the invitation was truly lost in the mail. Other times, you just weren’t invited. As hurtful as this is, there are times that I wish certain invitations had been lost in the mail, or someone had forgotten to make the call.

Holiday invitations may be the most hazardous of all. My Thanksgiving one year involved an invitation to a friend’s house. She said, “come for dinner, you’ll have fun.” I thought about it for a few days and decided that it would be nice not to get up at dawn and cook and clean all day. When I called her back and told her that my husband and I would be there, I also asked what I could bring. Of course, I expected her to have me bring something, but I was stunned when she said, “Great, there will be 22 of us. Can you bring an extra turkey, some rolls, a hot hors d'oeuvre and your famous creamed corn?” I had already committed, so what could I do? So I got up at five in the morning on Thanksgiving day and started stuffing the darn bird. Everything except the rolls had to be cooked (and packed) for the hour plus trip to my friend’s house. Once I arrived, I never left the kitchen until it was time to go. Of course, I was the designated driver. Did I mention that I even made the gravy and whipped the potatoes because the hostess had a little too much pre-dinner vino? Why couldn’t I bring the pies, like her sister? I would have made sure that there was plenty of pumpkin to go around. I ended up with mincemeat. Adding insult to injury, I didn’t get any of my turkey—or even any leftover turkey for the traditional day-after sandwiches. Despite all of the aggression that I took out on that darn bird, it actually turned out quite nice, or so I was told.

Inviting relatives to visit for extended periods of time can also spell out disaster. One friend invited her parents to stay with her for a month last summer. I tried to tell her that a month was a long time, but she was sure that everything would be perfect, and that her parents would help her get some projects done around her house. Let’s just say that there was a lot done around her house, but very few of the items were on her “to do” list. The parents arrived on a Friday. On the following Monday my friend left for work as the painters arrived to paint the exterior of her house. She had chosen a nice mellow Tuscany mocha. Imagine her reaction when she arrived home to a bright yellow (gasp!) house. Apparently her parents thought the brown was boring and decided to surprise her with something a bit more festive. Mission accomplished. Not only was my friend surprised, she received a nasty letter from her Homeowners’ Association for not using an approved color. Again, insult to injury—especially since she had to pay to have it all done over in her original, approved color. It couldn’t get any worse than this she thought. Wrong! Two days after her house received the Easter egg treatment, she came home to find her mother beaming with pride. “Wait until you see your closet,” says mom. Keep in mind that this friend has an enviable collection of shoes. They’re stored meticulously in their original boxes, sorted by season and color. My friend actually hyperventilated as she ran to her prized walk-in closet. She burst into tears (which her mother interpreted as gratitude) when she saw the plastic shoe holders her parents had attached to the walls. Her beloved Jimmy Choos and Manolo Blahniks occupied every last slot. As she tried to calm down, she thought that perhaps she was overreacting. After all, she could take down the racks and put her shoes back in their boxes after her parents left. Before she could ask where the boxes were, her still beaming mother gave her a receipt and the four bucks that her shoe boxes netted at the local recycling center. (triple gasp!) You’ve heard the saying that likens out-of-town guests to fish—after a few days, they get a little stinky. My friend has refined the formula. She insists that after three days and two nights tops, it’s time for the fish to swim home. Needless to say, Mamma and Papa Fish haven’t been back to visit their daughter—nor are there any invitations on the horizon.

I've extended a few invitations that I regret. Like the time I invited my brother’s girlfriend to house-sit for me. This involved a cat that was to be fed twice a day and taking out the trash. Thank goodness she didn’t take out the trash—or the cat would have starved.

Sometimes informal invitations get me down. Spontaneity is probably one of my best and worst traits. Occasionally I commit to going out, or having friends over, and then as the date gets closer, I begin to regret—and sometimes resent—the commitment. Face it, when we make plans, they sound good at the time. This doesn’t mean that when the date actually arrives that we’re still in the mood for what we planned days or even weeks ago. I never cancel and end up having a good time in spite of my reservations. But later is better than sooner in my book. I’m always up for the last minute road trip or casual get-together. Waiting until the last minute is not without risk, as you may end up alone. Last minute can also be exiting—like reaching into a grab bag. You never know what you’re going to get. Whatever it is, there's no time to dread it—you just do it. If you end up alone, then you can always catch up on a good book, rent that movie you missed with your friends, or spend some quality time with your significant other.

I wasn’t sure how to end this article, but I’ve found that if you let things sit for a bit, they'll often work themselves out on their own. Yesterday I called a friend to ask when she wanted to get together for dinner to celebrate her birthday. We usually celebrate our birthdays together every year at a nice restaurant—and we always split the bill. My bet is that we won’t split the bill this year. My friend wasn’t home when I called, so I left a message with her roommate. Evidently something was lost in translation. My friend just called back and told me that she would love to have me take her out for her birthday. Another invitation gone awry, and I’ll pay dearly. I do have some consolation though. My house isn’t Easter egg yellow, all my shoes are still in their original boxes, and my cat is alive and well. I do have one question though. If I’m paying for dinner, does my friend still get the gift I already bought for her?

© 2005 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Happy Thanksgiving! We decided on only having 18 and food courtesy of Claim Jumper and tableware from the designer Dixie!
www.Carine-whatscooking.blogspot.com
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

WOW...those parents...that is just unbelievably nervy!! And being nervy about such personal choices as the color of one's house, and raiding one's closet. That is pretty darn scary.

Your turkey friend was quite a pip also, and I don't know if I'd be going out of my way to speak to someone who took that much advantage of me and who was so very thoughtless.

I guess we all live and learn, so I hope that you have a perfect Thanksgiving this year being just where you want to be! Enjoy!

Take good care,
Lisa
Julie said…
This year for Thanksgiving I am going to my aunts house, sans children- and spending the holiday with my siblings. I heard that my aunt called my sister- today, wednesday evening- and asked her to bring a ham. What ever happened to a side dish? Maybe some drinks or a pie. Guests bring sides, not main courses!!! Happy Thanksgiving chica!
Happy Thanksgiving Teri!
Me said…
Have a wonderful time and a happy Thanksgiving!!
i am hving 35 people at my house, i have been working for a week to get things ready and done. the two turkeys are in the oven already and it is only 7 am!!!
it is so exciting and great time of the year for me. this is my all time favorite holiday!! i am sure everyone will have a great time!
Happy Holiday Season to you and yours!
Leann said…
I'm commitment phobic. Dont' know where it came from but it sends me into a panic. I don't want to accept or offer for fear of......I have no idea!!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and holiday season.

Blessings
Leann
Kacey said…
I am a pie maker supreme. My husband brags about my prowess with crust to everyone, but that usually makes me the officially invited pie maker for thirty-five people. Today, I declined invitations from two different groups with the excuse that we were going to eat with friends in Ocala. That means we drove three hours each way, but I got out of making those darn pies! Guess what? It's Thanksgiving and we have no pie --- I could cry. Happy Thanksgiving, Teri!
Sideways Chica said…
Hey there everybody...I'm back but pooped! one more party tonight and I will officially turn into a pumpkin - pie that is!

I'll get back to each of you as soon as I can recover from the tryptophan overdose from yesterday and today. ;)

Ciao for now...
B.S. said…
Well, of course whirlingbetty has an odd story about being invited to Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. I couldn't reach the host to find out what he wanted me to bring, so I took matters into my own hands. Having learned that very few people appreciate my tofu peanut butter amaranth gruel, I decided to try a no-fail fudge recipe for the sweet tooths (sweet teeth?) at the table. Well, Betty managed to fail the fudge. It somehow turned out like taffy. Unable to extract it from the pan, I tried to pull out stringy spoonfuls of the mess onto wax paper. Even my child was appalled. Just before we all sat down for dinner, I tossed the embarrassing goo into the trash. Everyone seemed relieved.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hugs,
Betty
Shankari said…
Happy Pumpkins chica-kin! :)
Spicy said…
Found your blog through Time Goes by, and I love it......!
So much in common, but you say it so well.
Thank you.
Matty
http://runningonempty-matty.blogspot.com
fjl said…
So am I still coming to your party then darlin? :-)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...I have a hard time imagining you with take out for Thanksgiving, but if anyone can carry it off, you can. ;)

Hope your day was filled with laughter and love. Ciao Bella.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...a pip indeed! ;)

It's said that it takes all kinds...and it does. We can't pick our family, but we can pick our friends. I'm thankful that any of them still speak to me after reading what I write each week! Does that make me a pip?

Ciao bella...hope you and your family and friends had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Jules...I hope the ham was worth it! Also...I feel better that it's not just me.

Ciao Bella...hope you are enjoying the season. I also hope your sister got some of her ham...for leftovers too.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doc Andrew...back at you!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...now why didn't I get the invite to your dinner! Must have got lost in the mail. ;)

I'm sure your day was wonderful...and now I am sure you must be a bit tired. Be well bella. Ciao.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...I know just what you mean! They say that admitting is the first step...I just can't "commit" to that second or third step. ;)

Hope your day was great chica...perhaps you wore your new boots?

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I bet those 35 people who didn't get your pie also shed a tear or two! ;)

Hope the day in Ocala was wonderful...and I know you made a pie and hid it away at home for you and the man. Or at least I hope you did!

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...I guess "no fail" means different things to different people. I know that any time I see a "no-fail" recipe that I steer clear. I tend to complicate things a bit. Like green bean casserole, or my late MIL's English Toffee.

Regardless, I bet you had a wonderful day. Hugs to you and the child, and thanks for sharing your day. I needed the smile. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...back at ya baby!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...welcome! Thanks for coming by and participating. I post a new article each week. This was the first time I have ever recycled...but I liked the theme.

Ciao chica...hope your turkey day was great and when I get a moment I'll stop by and say hi.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...I think you just did chica! ;)

Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and I wish you much laughter and love.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Doug Bagley said…
I agree with Leann, I hate making commitments for I fear if I change my mind or something comes up after I've committed, I'm stuck with either honoring my commitment or coming up with an excuse to excuse myself. Not good, huh? LOL.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...Good to hear from you, and I understand your commitment issues. I do hope you committed and had a great time on Thanksgiving though. I did! ;)

Ciao for now...and have a great week. 'Tis the season for making commitments - enjoy!
Priyamvada_K said…
"Why couldn’t I bring the pies, like her sister? I would have made sure that there was plenty of pumpkin to go around. I ended up with mincemeat."

Dear Teri,
LOL at the metaphors. Must've been a tiresome day. Why couldn't you bring the pies....hmmmm, maybe because you didn't make your offer specific. As in, "Can I bring some pie? Or would you rather I bring a side dish - how about creamed corn?"

Looks like the word something in "Can I bring something?" can be dangerous. Thanks for the warning :-)

Hope you had a nice holiday,
Priya.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...words of wisdom indeed! Next time I will specifically be specific! Actually this year I was...and the pies were a hit. They weren't Kacey's homemade pies, but then again it appears that no one got Kacey's wonderful creations this year. ;(

Ciao bella...and back at you on the nice Thanksgiving. I had a great time.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred