Cheers, beers and leers!

I recently came across a catalog my husband had set aside rather than toss in the recycle bin with the thousands of other catalogs that arrive this time of year. I was intrigued with this catalog on two counts. One reason was that my husband, who throws everything away, actually saved it—and the other reason was the tag line prominently printed in big block letters on the front cover. It said, “STUFF GUYS WANT.”

What woman could resist such a direct challenge? Not me. I sat down and started perusing the pages of this catalog in hopes of finding out what kind of stuff guys really want. After all, this could be my chance to find the perfect gift for my husband this year. Boy was I surprised. If this catalog is true to its word, and its pages accurately reflect stuff guys really want, then my husband is sure to be disappointed come Christmas morning.

After digesting this “stuff” for a while, I decided to make a Christmas list of my own—of all the stuff my husband apparently wants because he is a guy, but he is not getting because I am not a guy and I really can’t believe anyone, guy or not, would want any of this stuff. Of course, I (not a guy) may be off-track here. After all, these items are boldly displayed with full color professional photography in a catalog that’s been around for a while. If this stuff doesn’t sell…it wouldn’t be in the catalog. Right?

Read on and I’ll share some of this stuff, including the descriptive copy, that caught my eye…or rather, my ire.

Stuff Guys Want

(and My Husband’s Not Getting)

1. Remote Control Bartender – “keep the drinks flowing while you relax.”

Besides the many obvious problems with this item, I can’t help but wonder who puts the drinks in the remote control car and sends them to the recipients. It can’t be the “guy,” because he is busy “relaxing.” This means that a woman somewhere could be complicit.

2. The Beer Tender – “This ingenious device keeps your beer cold, at hand, illuminated, and is sure to drastically reduce your trips to the fridge.”

This makes perfect sense. Getting up and moving about while drinking could kill the buzz. It’s much better to empty all the cans and bottles of beer from the fridge into a contraption that sits on the table, right next to us before we start drinking. What’s next? A Lazy-Boy Port-a-potty? Quick…where’s the number for the patent attorney? Maybe I can get it in the catalog in time for next Christmas.

3. The Cruzin Cooler – “…the Cruzin Cooler can save your back on long days. It holds up to 24 beverage cans plus plenty of ice, and its powerful 500 watt electric motor can actually travel up to 15 miles [13 m.p.h.] on a charge.”

When the 24 pack is gone, the Remote Control Bartender can deliver more…and more…and more. Apparently for this vehicle, all you need is a license to chill.

4. Belt Buckle Bottle Opener – “Whether it’s 10:00 a.m. and the tailgate party is hitting its stride, or it’s 5:00 o’clock and happy hour is in full swing, these buckles add the extra something to any ensemble. …they are sure to spark up some conversation the next time someone asks for a bottle opener.”

I wonder if they work on twist-off bottles. Just imagine how many wrist injuries could be avoided with the Belt Buckle Bottle Opener at 10:00 a.m. in the morning! This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase Buckle up.

5. Motorized Pool Lounger – “Take control of your pool! Now you can patrol those guest infested waters while you relax.”

Of course, this little gem comes complete with two steerable motors and a conveniently located joystick control to go forward, backwards or to spin on a dime and head back to the poolside bar without exerting a single muscle! Did I mention the built-in cupholder, armrests and backrest? I’m sure next year’s model will boast a built-in high def plasma T.V.

6. Remote Control Drink Float – “The hand-held remote let’s you direct the Drink Float exactly where you want it, without even moving from your lounge chair.”

Wow. I guess this means that the guy with the Motorized Pool Lounger doesn’t have to bother with his joystick. Wouldn’t want to overuse the joystick. What am I thinking? After all that drinking, the joystick is no longer a joystick.

Can you detect a theme here? Cheers, beers and leers! Lest you think this catalog offers only alcohol-related gifts, rest assured there’s plenty of other “stuff guys want.” There’s the Fish Net Leg Lamp, which has nothing to do with fish, the Firepod pocket hand warmer (which actually serves a purpose), the Jack Daniels Keychain flask, the Old World Globe Bar, and the bourbon-flavored BBQ Sauces. Oops, strike the last three…they’re also alcohol-related, and I believe on backorder until after the holidays. And why wouldn’t we want a flask attached to our keychain? Makes perfect sense to me.

I could go on like this for hours. There’s so much “stuff guys want” that it boggles the mind. In honor of full disclosure, I want to add that this catalog also offers another keychain: the Keychain Breathalyzer/CO detector. It seems the witty copywriter for all the other “stuff” was out sick or on vacation the day this item was added. The description says, “Simply push a button, blow into the inhaler, and this handy breathalyzer let’s you know if you’ve been over served!” Hmmm? What’s wrong with this picture? Firstly, the person who has been “over served,” no doubt by the Remote Control Drink Float, Motorized Pool Lounger, Belt Buckle Bottle Opener, the Cruzin Cooler and the Beer Tender, would still be in possession of his (or her) keys to use the Keychain Breathalyzer. Secondly, where’s the smart copy that boasts how lit you can get while relaxing all day and not exerting a muscle…and still get home safely!

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m no teetotaler. I enjoy a cocktail as much as most people. But in moderation and hardly ever at 10:00 a.m. in the morning. Plus, those people who know me well also know that it wouldn’t be the Holiday season if I didn’t get a little sarcastic with Corporate America and Madison Avenue.

However, all sarcasm aside…I urge everyone to drink and drive responsibly during the Holidays and beyond. If we have to stop and wonder if we’ve had enough—or too much—then we’ve probably had enough—or too much. We should hand over the keys to someone who hasn’t been “over served,” or call a cab.

My point, and I do have one, is moderation and good sense. Neither of which is in the best interest of Corporate America and Madison Avenue. Their goal is a healthy bottom line regardless of the consequences. Your hiney and those of your loved ones are the “bottom lines” that truly count.

Before you raise another glass of “cheer,” please stop and think. Someone you care about, someone I care about, someone he cares about and someone she cares about are on the road right now. Why take a chance when we have everything to lose? Please drink, drive and buy responsibly. The economy can take the hit...but our loved ones can’t.

Brought to you by C.W.A.M.A.A.S.C.A., cynical writers against Madison Avenue and sometimes Corporate America.

© 2005 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

what no "watch winder" for 15 items? that's the stuff mine wants and isn't going to get, not even for his 50th!
love it Teri!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...my husband got the watch winder from Sharper Image last year for his almost 30-year old Rolex. Of course, the "boys" gave it to him. Guess what...it doesn't work! He'll just have to keep winding it manually, but I think he can handle it. Plus, my theme for this article was obviously booze related. Although booze does wind a lot of watches ! ;)

Happy Holidays chica. Glad you enjoyed.

Ciao for now.
Kacey said…
I have this weird picture of some dude floating around in the pool hanging onto his "joystick". There are places in this country where you can get arrested for that! What have men done to gain the reputation of beer guzzling swine? The catalog business would never suceed, if the men didn't like the association of heavy drinking with manhood. I'm hoping that people enjoy their Christmas without slipping into an alcohol induced coma. Merry Christmas Chica and your Chico!
Big Dave T said…
You're cruel, Teri. All that great stuff and YOU DIDNT MENTION THE NAME OF THE CATALOG! I actually got that keychain flask as a secret Santa gift at work. We men agree it was one of the better gifts we got at work this year.

Now c'mon. Be fair. Check out the top of your blog page here. It's says "Here's to Happy Woman" with a picture of a trio of cocktails. Don't we men deserve a little happiness too in our lives?

Have a great holiday and wishing you the best in 2007.
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

I don't know about anyone else, but I laughed out loud at the "Cruzin' Cooler"!! I actually think my husband would love this, although he's more of a martini guy himself.

Last summer, I picked up my son's fairly-new flip-flops to put them in his room, when I noticed something really strange on the bottom of them, like a peice of metal in a recessed circle. I showed it to my husband, and he said, "Hon, it's a bottle opener! You know, when you're hanging out on the beach, and you lose your bottle opener, you can just flip your shoe over!" Well, stupid me. A woman would never come up with something as unsanitary as a bottle opener located on the bottom of a shoe that may have stepped in who-knows-what.

...Only a "Y" chromosome, that's all I have to say.

Teri, have a great holiday, I hear you have an anniversary and I think a birthday as well? Many happy returns and stay away from any drunks on coolers!

Take good care,
Lisa
B.S. said…
OK, Teri, brace yourself- I actually have a "Cruzin' Cooler" parked in my garage. Last summer the child became obsessed with motorized scooters- all I heard about for several weeks was motorized scooters and how he HAD to have one, so Betty consulted the internet for advice on safe scooters for children. That's how I learned of the existence of the Cruzin' Cooler, and I just about died laughing. Well, before long it was delivered to our doorstep, and the child has been happily riding it up and down the driveway ever since. He only crashed it once, and nobody was hurt. His friends love it too. They never even think of hauling beverages, not even juice boxes, in it, although once, come to think of it, the Chihuahua was unhappy cargo inside the cooler. I'm not sure what place the Cruzin' Cooler will have in our lives once the child learns about things like beer. Anyway, truth be known, I was horrified at myself after I placed the order for this item, but I have grown quite fond of it. It has brought hours of pleasure to my child, it has brought him outdoors, and it is a motorized vehicle which does not pollute. But then again, we are not using it for its intended purpose!!!

Hugs,
Betty
Spicy said…
Teri,
Some men don't drink, honest to God! I know what men secretly want, no lie.......and thats a blow-up doll! Really! Go ahead and ask him!
Well, if she can serve drinks and cook, that's a plus.
Cheers!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...you and me both my dear Sideways Chica (the original)! Honestly I was just having fun with this article, but after I started putting it together I couldn't resist myself. It took on a life of its own. All in good fun...and moderation, of course.

Be safe and enjoy!

Ciao bella...Merry Chiristmas!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...you got me! Of course, I was only having fun with this because of the tag line on the cover of the catalog, and I don't want to give out the name of the catalog because I'm not so sure they would like what I have to say. But...I'm sure you already know (because you are a guy) that these items are available all over the internet...just a google away!Secretly (SHHH! Don't tell anyone)a few of these items seem pretty nifty. All of them together? Not so much!

Enjoy your keychain flask...seems your Secret Santa really knows what guys want!

Ciao for now...enjoy the Holidays!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...seems as if the Cruzin Cooler is a popular item. Even Whirling Betty has one! ;)

As for the bottle opener on the bottom of the flip flop, I am "floored," and yes the pun is intended! Y-chromosome indeed!

Ciao Bella...hope Santa brings you and yours all the stuff you "guys" want! Enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
My dear Betty...I so did not expect this from you. But I have to say that for some reason it pleases me to know you have a Cruzin Cooler! I am still laughing at what your reaction must have been when you read this article. Bet the child is the envy of all the "guys." Yep, Madison Avenue knows what to do...hook 'em young and get their brand loyalty. ;)

And of course I know you did all of the safety homework, and I am impressed. But...just because a child can operate it safely doesn't mean we grownups can.

Ciao bella...enjoy the Holidays and say hello to Garnet David (and remind him please that I was the first (I believe) to call him this. ;) HUGS!!!!!!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...maybe we should take a survey. Nope...I don't think so. If that's the case I just soooooo don't want to know. And I dare not ask, because it just might "blow up" in my face! ;)

Ciao bella...Happy Holidays! ENJOY!
Spicy said…
Teri
Just had to do it, I got memed, so I tagged you,,,,,just check my latest post. I'm sure you could come up with 50, uh, I meant 5 things??
lol.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...thank you so much for thinking of me, I am honored. But...unfortunately I don't participate in the tagging game. I only post my articles here weekly. Hope you don't mind chica. ;)

Having said that...what do you mean 50 things?! What could you possibly be referring to? I already fessed up to the Disneyland thing. What else could there be? Who's been talking to you? Those records were supposed to be sealed! ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy the game. I enjoyed reading your post. (Simon? Really?)
Chris said…
Hmm. Speaking as a guy, I have to say that catalog was hardly comprehensive. Not enough T&A related merchandise. ;)

Though honestly, we menfolk are simple creatures. When in doubt, the answer is always sex. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Now Christopher (yes, Christopher)...do you really think we "womenfolk" don't know this? Of course I speak of the "sex" thing. As for the "simple" thing, I highly disagree LLB. There's nothing simple about you. ;)

And as you seem to "get" me quite well, you know that I never really like to point out the obvious in my articles. Never challenging enough for me. As for the "T & A" thing my friend, it was quite simply too easy of a target. Dare I say "X" marks the spot?

Ciao for now my not so simple friend. Hope you get that "stuff" we womenfolk know you really want! Enjoy the Holidays and beyond.
fjl said…
Merry Christmas and enjoy the break.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...back at you chica! Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Ciao bella...ENJOY!
Leann said…
I'm not sure what my reaction would be to seeing a grown man riding a cooler around. Lord willing I'll never have to know..lol

Have a wonderful holiday
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...I'm right there with you chica. However, I would like to see Betty's child having some fun mixing it up on the Cruizin Cooler. If Lisa gets one for her guy, then I think I might have to have a photo of that one too!

Ciao Bella...hope the boots are fitting fine! Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones. ;)
Sheesh. What ever happened to keeping it simple? You put the eggnog in the fridge, then when you want a drink you take it out and pour it in a glass. Or maybe I just don't want the "stuff guys want."

Merry Christmas Teri, and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Andrew
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doc Andrew...very well (and simply) said my friend. Eggnog indeed! ;)

Have a wonderful Christmas and the happiest New Year. Ciao for now...
Me said…
Wishing you and your loved ones a great holiday season and a very happy 2007!
May 2007 brings us all Health, Wealth, Happiness and much needed Peace on earth.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...back at you chica! May all things wonderful come your way. ENJOY!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I have to tell you that my family and I have had soooooo much fun with the B-day CD you sent me. ZOOM ZOOM chica! Thank you so much for being my favorite sideways stalker! ;)
Ballpoint Wren said…
Heh, Teri, I think we've gotten that catalog before. I think you automatically get signed up for it with a subscription to Sports Illustrated.

Somehow it magically disappeared, though, along with the Victoria's Secret catalog.

Who knows where they are right now? Probably partying under a bed somewhere, the Cruzin Cooler and the Remote Control Bartender with the push-up bras and the slinky panties, and it's a sad, sad world when our catalogs have more fun than we do.

But what I wanted to say was thank you for all the fun insights this year and send you a Merry Christmas to you and your man!

Love,
Bonnie
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie...isn't that funny (strange, not Ha Ha) that in our house the VS catalogs never make an early exit either.;)

I love your storyline about the party going on with the push-up bra and the Cruzin Cooler...perhaps it should be called "Adult Toy Story, Part One." Who am I kidding? There's probably a movie with this title already -- and I don't think it is as innocent as your little plot. Or is it chica? I guess it depends on whether or not a pizza gets delivered, or the postman rings twice!

Seriously...thank you for all of the mentions this year and also for broadening my horizon with your other cyberspace friends. And thank you for participating in my roundtable. I love your sense 'o humor...and your "take" on life. You are also a sideways chica. I have enjoyed getting to know your world - including (especially) Mojo. I seem to relate well with your innocent little pup. You are so funny, so smart and so very witty...please keep on writing, taking pictures, making comics, making movies and providing us with those games!

I wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year.

Ciao bella...
Bored Housewife said…
Merriest of Holidays to you, Happy Woman!

I think that magazine was targeting an audience of men from whom all the stereotypes are derived...ugh. Here's to NOT being married to one of them!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...ditto chica! Great to hear from you and the merriest of Holidays right back atcha!

Ciao bella...I see you're not so bored anymore! ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Readers...I will be out of touch until after the first. Be safe and be happy.

See you in 2007! And happy New Year!
Debbie said…
here's a note... Maybe all the dui violators should have to drive a pretty pink verson of the Scooter/cooler thingy and nothing else.
Anonymous said…
The interesting thing about this catalog is that it comes at exactly the same time that so many corporate companies are hawking their "Lose Weight for pennies an hour" programs! Sure, buy gadgets designed to let you lazily enjoy your alcohol-induced, beached whale-esque stupor, while you channel surf hearing about, "Look at me, I'm in a size 2!"

No wonder guys want these gadgets. :)

Happy New Year to all, and to all a safe night!
G said…
Teri, Happy New Year and best to you in the new year. ~ G
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...great idea chica! Have a great New Year.

Ciao bella.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Crafty Switchwitch...welcome! Funny thing - when I started writing this essay I was going for the "Why America keeps getting bigger" theme! Guess you read between the lines chica.

Ciao bella...have a great week and Happy New Year!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear G...back at you chica. I've been crazy lately but hope to slow down and check in on your musings soon. ;)

Ciao bella...and Happy New Year and beyond!

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred