Get off of my...


I can’t tell you how many times in the last few months I’ve heard someone say, “Life is a highway.” Well, if life is indeed a highway, then some people need to drive a little better. Scratch that. They need to drive a lot better. I’m tired of the road hogs, the tailgaters, the speed demons, the oblivious (to everything but their world) drivers, and the honkers. I’m especially tired of the honkers.
Am I talking about real drivers here or will this be another metaphorical column with ducks and trash? Since I’m currently perturbed with many of the drivers in my neck of the woods and a few people in general, you be the judge. Read between the lines or drive between them. Both work for me.
Let’s start with the road hogs. A road hog is someone who thinks that he or she personally owns the road. They seem as if they’re not paying attention as they hog the road. In actuality, they just won’t make eye contact with other drivers. To do so would be to concede something. What they’re conceding is beyond me. Road hogs never let you in easily. A simple lane change by another person challenges them and can lead to confrontation and road rage. If you speed up, they speed up. If you slow down, they slow down. If you signal, they block.
In life, road hogs take over everything—at home, at work, and even at the gym. They make themselves comfortable and take whatever they want whenever they want—even when it’s not their own home—at the expense and discomfort of others. I pity those who share a home with a road hog. They never ask permission for anything or consider the feelings of others. These wild boars do not place nice. If you get into it with one of them, be careful. They bite.

Bottom line on road hogs: On the road and in life, it’s all about them...never about us. Road hogs always think they have the right of way. They never signal, because they own the road, of course. This isn’t as bad as it seems. In fact, not signaling is a “tell.” Road hogs are predictable and we can head them off at the pass. They’re too tough to roast on a spit, and it would take years to marinate road hogs into tender “car”-nitas! If someone chooses to journey the highway of life with a road hog, I suggest a refresher course in Driver’s Ed…with a professional at the wheel. Otherwise, the next stop could be Road Rage Alley, divorce court…or both.
Next, we have the tailgaters. They’re a real pain in the arse. They’re always on our rear and they never let up on the gas…or allow enough space for safe passage. That’s why the rear-ender is always at fault, rather than the rear-endee. We can tap on our breaks, and still the pesky tailgaters don’t get it. We can slow way down and still they’re zoned in on our rear-ends. The best way to shake a tailgater and avoid a collision is to change lanes carefully and hope that a road hog doesn’t go all piggy on us.
In life, tailgaters are similar to space invaders. They’re the people that come into our lives, and while they don’t actually take over like the road hogs, they never have a clue when they’ve worn out their welcome. Some tailgaters enjoy living vicariously through others…and having other people lead the way. Others are just takers. When they’re out of gas, they never go to a filling station; they just get out their siphoning hose.

Bottom line on tailgaters: On the road and in life, tailgaters are a nuisance. They can hook onto our bumpers forever. We need to make sure that potential tailgaters know the rules of the road from the onset. Otherwise, that siphoning hose will come out and they’ll suck us dry. Altering our course and changing lanes to avoid a tailgater is a lot easier than moving homes. And a lot less expensive.
Speed demons have a very real need for speed. They’re always in a hurry. Life is a race to be ran at full throttle. Filled with stress and aggression, speed demons think that rushing around and passing everyone gets them where they want to go quicker, and more efficiently, than those who go with the flow. In theory, this sounds plausible. In reality, speed demons may enjoy temporary gains, but eventually the relaxed tortoise catches up with the stressed hare at the finish line. I believe tortoises enjoy their road trips more than the hares. Speed demons can ruin the trip for the rest of us. They’re more prone to accidents and fender benders. Often a speed demon can also be a tailgater. A lethal combination...and a really big pain in the arse.
In life, speed demons cause undue stress for themselves and others. They insist that the best route is navigating through life on turbo charge. They don’t appreciate the view in front of them and they hardly notice as life passes them by in the rear view mirror. Life with a speed demon is difficult. They wash and put away our dishes before we’ve finished our meal. They never linger over a cup of coffee (or something stronger) and chat with friends. They’re always worried about rush hour traffic. They’re the ones who leave the concert before the incredible encore, or the game before the unbelievable comeback—all because they just can’t sit still, or stop and smell the roses.

Bottom line on speed demons: On the road and in life, speed demons can permanently alter our course. Rest and relaxation are foreign concepts to these zippy little rabbits. They think they’re being efficient when they speed around, but at what cost? Saving five minutes on the road hardly compares to seeing the winning three-point basket that won the championship. It’s easy to be caught up in the frantic pace of a speed demon. If it’s your lot in life to share the road with one of these bunnies, offer to take the wheel more often. The hare may learn to appreciate a slower pace once in awhile, and if you’re a tortoise, you may learn to speed up on occasion and benefit from the exercise.

The oblivious (to everything but their world) drivers are the most dangerous people on the road. They don’t drive defensively, they don’t drive offensively, and they don’t pay attention. Therefore, we have to constantly be on alert for these cell phone talking, texting, applying makeup, or even shaving on the road drivers. Even when they make a mistake and cut us off, they still don’t hang up the phone or put down the mascara. Sometimes they even honk at us, or give us a blank stare. In my area, I encounter the most of these oblivious drivers behind the wheels of the biggest cars and trucks. Most of us are aware of our blind spots and proceed cautiously when unsure. These spacey folks are in their own world and they barge full speed ahead into the unknown. They’re surrounded by one big blind spot—their own ignorance—and they don’t care.
In life, these oblivious (to everything but their world) drivers wreak havoc on the rest of us. We’re left to clean up their messes while they sleep peacefully, unencumbered by their ignorance and apathy. In the beginning, we can easily be blinded by their seemingly carefree light...and envious of their nonchalant “don’t worry be happy” attitudes. This is temporary blindness, which eventually wears off as we take over the full-time job of worrying about these dependent road dummies.

Bottom line on oblivious (to everything but their world) drivers: Dangerous curves are ahead with these driver’s at the wheel. If we offer to drive, then they get comfortable in the role and so do we. There is no redeeming factor for these drivers. They should have their licenses suspended…and so should we if we take to the highway with them by our side. Hopefully, we can see the red light before we get too comfortable as their caretaker in what is sure to be a co-dependent relationship.

Finally, we get to the honkers. These obnoxious drivers are my pet peeve. They can often present multiple personalities, such as the road hog, tailgater, speed demon, and oblivious (to everything but their world) drivers. Honkers are honkers. They don’t take the time to assess a situation before they lay on the horn. They don’t stop to think that maybe we see something they don’t…like a person in the crosswalk, or a bicyclist in their blind spot. Honkers raise the alarm for everything. They startle us, glare at us and sometimes flip us the bird. Honkers can escalate a situation into Road Rage quicker than any driver can…especially if they honk at a road hog.
In life, honkers are the “what about me” people. They honk at everything. They honk at nothing. And they always look for the negative—if they look at all. Like road hogs, it’s always all about the honkers. False self-importance and over-inflated egos are their high-octane fuels of choice. If they share a personality with the oblivious (to everything in their world) drivers, then they are demanding dependents that will wear us out before the finish line is in view. If we put up with one honk from a honker then shame on them. If we stick around for two or more honks from the same honker, then shame on us.

Bottom line on honkers: Horn works. Try the lights. That’s right, we need to turn on the lights and break these honkers of their nasty habit or disconnect their horn. Otherwise, we’ll end up with a huge (honking) headache throughout our entire journey…whether it be a weekender road trip, an extended vacation, or on the exalted highway of life that I keep hearing so much about.
Well, there you have it. Some simple navigational tools for life. As I said, you can read between my lines, drive between them, or both. All I ask is that you slow down a bit, keep both eyes on the road, put down that cell phone, and get off of my rear-end. And whatever you do—and wherever you go—don’t touch that horn!

© 2005 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Spicy said…
Hi Teri,
I just went back and read 'Can you Imagine', and oh, how I would have loved to have known this strong, courageous lady. What wonderful conversations we would have had.
They just don't make Marvel's anymore.
Just knowing a person like that, makes us want to be a better person. How truly lucky you are to have been touched so deeply and profoundly by Marvel.
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

LOVED this! So creative, and as always, makes you spin your wheels and think!

My first husband was definitely a speed demon on AND off the road! This is the guy who does 60 in a school zone because he might be 9 minutes early instead of 10 if he doesn't. He used to vaccuum under our guests feet at Thanksgiving before they even cut into their turkey. And our yearly Lake George vacation? Always made us leave a day or two early. Why, you ask? Beats me. I don't even think HE knew. He was just always in a rush to go somewhere...but to me it seems like all he's in a rush to do is get to the end of his life!

Take good care,
Lisa
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...thank you. I'm sure that you and Marvelous Marvel would have had a great time together. I am just as certain that I would have loved to chat with your mom.;)

Ciao bella...and chin up. Hang on to that sense of humor.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...well said chica. Sounds like Mr. First was a real "pip." ;)

I'm still scratching my head over the vacuuming before the turkey...but like you, I'm pretty sure I'll get over it. He, on the other hand, not so much!

Ciao Bella...glad you enjoyed my little riff. Have a great week.
Kacey said…
I really think that road aggression is to men what PMS is to women. Put them behind the wheel and let the games begin! It becomes a challenge to see who wins. Can you pass enough cars to get to the next stop light with three extra seconds saved? Last week I watched as a driver passed at 80 mph on the berm of the road. Why is he more important than anyone else who is waiting in the traffic for the lanes to clear up? And tailgating? There should be bumper stickers warning people that sodomy is illegal in this country, so stop shoving your car up my tailpipe! Florida is an amalgam of people from all over the United States and Europe and the red light is just something to blow through on your way to all the important stuff in your over organized life.
Me said…
very well put points...on the road and in life!!
while i drive here in the states i feel like i am driving on vacation for real!! I do not have to think who will be cutting off in front of me, or jumping from my right all the way to my left without signaling, or even honking at me...believe me, people are so blessed to be driving in the states..try driving in other countries..it is much crazier and much more scarier. when i drive in Beirut i have to turn into a ruthless person, i have to do what others do -meaning being a hog, a honker, a tailgater, and a bitch- otherwise i will be honked at, tailgated and maybe pushed off of the road! it is crazy out there..it does feel like you are racing for your life..sometimes it is even discouraging to go out and drive!
Thanks for another insightful perspective.
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

BTW, I read "Can You Imagine?", and thought that it was a beautiful tribute to your MIL, may she rest in peace. What great memories you must have of her!

Take good care,
Lisa
B.S. said…
In your usual thorough and colorful style, you have described exactly why I dislike driving. I love how you unwittingly justified my desire to move downtown where I can ditch the car much of the time. Each one of those driving personalities is here to stay, I'm afraid. Here's to walking, biking and mass transit!

Hugs,
Betty
Sar said…
You should see how it is around here - we have all kinds of wacky drivers, but no one honks! Moving here from honk-aholic NJ, it was really eerie at first.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I see you got my point, as usual. ;)

You ask: "Why is he more important than anyone else who is waiting in the traffic for the lanes to clear up?"

This is exactly how I feel when someone at the gym walks over to where I have been riding the bike for almost an hour. Sits down next to me, then reaches up over my head (and sometimes my face) and turns off the rotating fan. Without asking if I mind. It seems that these road hogs and speed demons think their comfort is more important than ours. Go figure. And I thought I was pretty damn special.

Bottom line: People's driving style reflects their personality, or lack thereof.

Ciao bella...enjoy the ride.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...thank you chica. ;)

Ciao...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...I know what you mean. I have driven in other countries and I agree that it is much different than in the states.

I guess what has taken me by surprise is that where I live used to be a very calm driving environment. Now, I hear all this honking that never occurred before, unless it was for a real emergency.

The other day a woman honked at me. I was stopped, waiting for the policeman standing in front of me to signal me through a fatality accident scene, no doubt caused by a speed demon or road hog. This woman was on her phone, driving a big SUV and could see over my little convertible clearly. Problem was, it didn't register because she was in her own little world. How embarrassed I would have been. Not her. She didn't mind at all that she was honking at all of us where a person had just lost his life...and the police had stopped traffic to clear the scene. And no, I didn't flip her the bird, though the thought did occur to me. I simply said aloud to myself, "Horn works lady, try the lights. Then added a little "idiot" at the end.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...yes chica, I guess I did. ;)

I guess if we try hard enough we can get away from the cars with the road hogs, speed demons, honkers, et. al. But can we truly get away from the Road Hog people? Honker people? Speed demon people? Let me know chica...and you just might have a new neighbor!

Ciao bella...hope you and the child have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Sar...I remember the honking from when I lived in Madrid. No such thing as "sleeping in" in the city! After I returned to the states, someone asked me when I became such an early morning riser. I laughed and said my first morning in Madrid. Recently I returned to Madrid for a visit and was surprised to find the honking was much less, due to the fines imposed.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
B.S. said…
Well, I was going to try not to mention this, but my next door neighbor is a combination of all of your driving personality categories! (And I've never encountered him on the road, thank heavens.) I roll my eyes whenever I hear his manic voice honking its way over to my house. Once he gets here he hogs my time, space and energy, talking fast as blazes, following me around if I dare try to free myself.

The interesting thing about urban neighborhoods, I think, is that neighbors tend to remain more anonymous unless encouraged otherwise. Part of the reason is the greater diversity of population and housing (rentals, condos and mansions intermingled), and part of it is the more transient quality, with people moving in and out frequently. The driving there, which demands the avoidance of pedestrians, is a bit more considerate, too.

Are you packing yet? There's a great house for sale around the corner from the one I want....

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Ahhh Betty...but of course you have it all figured out. And I do believe you are spot on, as usual. ;)

Send me some photos of the your new house chica, and if I do move in next door, I'll try to remain anonymous - which I, like you, prefer. Of course it would be fun to whirl together once in awhile! ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Angel said…
OOoo, I've been gone too long.

This was great and provided me with the chuckles of recognition I needed.

I know a couple peeps I'll be forwarding this post to. Unfortch, they won't get it, but I'll feel better.

Missed you!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel (of my favorite Dawn)...what a wonderful surprise. I've missed you too chica! Glad I provided a few chuckles...and speaking of chuckles, how are you? Send me an email and let me know how it hails in your O.C.

I will tell Suze that you are still "peeping."

Ciao bella...regards to the boy wonder and the hubster as well.
forgot the ones that shouldn't drive!
weaving, snails who intermittedly speed!

www.Carine-whatscooking.blogspot.com
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...I didn't forget them, they just don't irritate me as much as the others! ;) But yes, they can be a nuisance.

By the way. I still remember being in Minnesota for a family reunion of my husband's family. Our boys really got a kick out of the "Minimum" speed limit signs.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Spicy said…
Oh my God, you speak about my son, he is a speed demon and oblivious! When I drive with him,,,he is aggressive,,forever trying to pass someone, and I keep reminding him, we are in no hurry, we'll get there when we get there! On top of that, being half deaf, I swear he is trying to ruin the little hearing I have by blasting music, well, thats what he calls it, and I call it 'nasty assault & battery',,,,,its noise,,loud, angry noise,,,,and on the expressway he is cursing other drivers, while talking on a cell phone, fidgeting with the cd's, sometimes with no hands on the wheel.....and I get this crazy urge to throw myself out of the backseat of the car into the passing lane., anything is better than sitting there taking that kind of abuse.
I would not drive with him by choice, but sometimes I have no choice...
When I complain, he says, I must be getting old if I complain about the music,,,,,,and the more I complain, the faster he drives and the louder he plays the music, so I sit in the back seat....tense, angry, always wondering why I keep doing this to myself,,do I have a suicidal urge? and always promise to never do this again!
I end up stressful, resentful,,exhausted from clenching my teeth, and my fists,,and thank God, I finally found someone to take me and my grandchild to the hospital, and I don't have to age 5 years each time.
They call it 'A' type personality, and I call it ass-hole,,,sorry, but the more you tell them to slow down, the faster they go, why? I don't know,,,,,there is no deadline,,,,,but there is a need to speed, to pass, to push the pedal to the metal, going full-speed down a dead end road!
I thank god he doesn't smoke.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...Congratulations. I see you have the typical teenage son and are surviving. I'm convinced teenagers driving are the reason hair color was invented - to get rid of all the gray hairs they give us. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy the ride and the music. Both will be gone before you know it as your son spreads his wings, or revs his engine, and leaves your protective nest.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Jessica...thank you. Have a great week.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tamar...back at you chica. Unfortunately, I think everyone can relate to road hogs, speed demons, et. al. ;)

Ciao chica...I wish you a safe and happy commute to work, and on the highway of life.
Ballpoint Wren said…
If I honked at you, Teri, I didn't mean to!

I've been honking at people by accident because Tiger messed with my steering wheel adjustment and I'm always trying to put it back when I sit at intersections. Somehow I always manage to honk the dang horn while I'm adjusting it. I've gotten more dirty looks lately.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...I've heard of the accidental tourist, but the accidental honker? Love it chica. Also, it reminds me to have a bit more tolerance. Next time I hear a honk, I'll have to consider that it just might not mean what I think it does.

Ciao bella...have a honking great weekend!
Spicy said…
I have just been tagged by Lisa at A Comforter Is Not A Bedspread,,,,,,,,so I'm tagging you.
The rules are,,,,,pick a book that is closet to you,,,,,go to page 123,,,,,,scroll down to the 5th sentence,,,,,,and post the text from the next 3 sentences...name the book and author,,,,,,and tag 3 people.
Sorry, but Lisa made me do it.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...thank you so much for thinking of me in your game of "tag." I am honored. However I don't play cyberspace tag. I dedicate this site to my one weekly article. I hope you understand. ;)

If I were to play, I am sure that the book I would choose would be "To Kill a Mockingbird." This is my favorite fiction book and my favorite movie of all time.

As to what's on page 23...I have no idea, but I am sure one day I will look it up. When I do, I will share it with you.

Ciao bella...have fun and enjoy.
Dust-bunny said…
Hi, Teri-

I just wanted to note that, being fairly new to the blogging scene, my blog has become somewhat of a "trial and error". I was not aware of "tags" nor what the repercussions of participating in one were until this week. However, I would like to point out that at no time would I tell anyone who to "tag" or insist that they participate at all, and I hope that any good intentions weren't misconstrued as my doing such.

Take good care,
Lisa
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...no worries. I wish I had time to participate...and another site in which to do so. I like the book theme and I like what you selected for yours. ;)

I feel the same about chain letters as I do about tagging...and yet my friends still email them to me in hopes that I won't ruin my luck...or theirs. To date I have yet to pass on one of these emails. And I'm not sure if I've been unlucky or not.

This is my preference...and I don't expect others to feel the same. Thank you though for your concern, but it's not necessary. You and Matty are a part of my own litte sisterhood of sideways chicas. ;)

Ciao Bella.
Anonymous said…
I caught myself tailgating an oblivious driver today (in the literal sense) and thought of this essay. What do you call someone who's always moving toooo sloooowly?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doughnut Jane...I call them pokeys, as in slow pokeys. ;)

Carine called them snails. Take your pick chica, you have plenty of time to decide while you wait for them to get out of the way!

Ciao bella...have a great week.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred