Resolution solution.

Okay, it’s a new year. For some people, it’s a time to reflect on the past and plan for the future. Well-meaning individuals try to institute positive changes by making resolutions for the New Year. The most popular resolutions involve lifestyle changes.

This tradition of making New Year resolutions dates all the way back to 153 BC. The name of the first month of the 365-day solar calendar, January, originates from a mythical Roman king named Janus—the god of beginnings and the guardian of doors and entrances. King Janus had two faces: one in the front and one in the back. He could simultaneously look backward on past events while looking into the future. The first New Year resolutions evolved from ancient Romans asking forgiveness of their enemies. On New Year’s Eve, they would exchange branches from sacred trees to represent good fortune for the recipient in the coming year. * Yeah...pretty similar to the New Year’s Eve parties I’ve attended, except the morning after I always feel like I've been hit on the head with the branch.

As for making resolutions for the New Year, I’m not a fan. Every time I’ve tried to make resolutions in the past, I’ve actually ended up with more bad habits that I started out with in the beginning. Lying, cheating and denial easily come to mind. As in… “Of course, I went to the gym today,” or, “No I did not just have a cigarette,” And “Oh well, at least I cut back…that’s better than nothing, isn’t it?”

This year, it seems that everywhere I look, I see varying lists of the most popular resolutions we Americans allegedly make each year.

1. Quit smoking/drinking/recreational drugs: Most lists have these items separated into individual resolutions. I combined them because if someone has two or more of these habits, they must give them all up at once. Then, they’ll drink more coffee and next year “less caffeine” will be on top of their list.

2. Lose weight and/or start exercising: If someone also lists “quit smoking” as a resolution, scratch “lose weight” off the list right now and just leave “start exercising.” Then next January, no matter how much exercise this someone does this year, “lose weight” will be on the top of his or her list...if they succeed in kicking the habit, that is.

3. Get organized: This is a great resolution because it’s non-specific. It can apply to anything and everything.

4. Go back to school: Again…non-specific. This one actually amuses me because I had this on my long ago lists of resolutions for years. I could actually have a PhD and a doctorate by now.

5. Spend more time with the family: Again, non-specific. I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

6. Try something new or learn something new: Learning to be specific might not be a bad idea.

7. Work on spiritual growth: Really non-specific – or should I say non-denominational?

8. Take a trip/enjoy life more: I really can’t figure out why this one doesn’t rank higher on the popularity list, but after resolutions 1-5, it’s actually more of a New Year necessity than a resolution.

9. Pay off Holiday debt: I assume this means somebody got a new Tivo and Ipod.

10. Get a better job: Again, I assume this means somebody got a new Tivo and Ipod…and maybe even a high def plasma TV, stereo, digital camera, blackberry…

Eventually, after reading the above resolutions for a fifth time, I decided that maybe I should give this New Year thing one more chance. I took these resolutions and adapted them to my life. Why should I reinvent the wheel? I’m just an ordinary chica. Maybe this time will be different. After all, I’m older, and hopefully more mature (and somewhat wiser) than I was in my youthful days of unsuccessful resolution keeping.

First things first. I needed to work on interpretation. I personalized these generic resolutions and made them my own. This involved a little homework. Like the two-faced King Janus, I looked backward and then applied some creative and sideways logic. I quickly realized what my most critical mistake was in making previous New Year resolutions. Specificity. In the past, I wasn’t specific enough. It wasn’t the “breaking” of the resolutions that caused my downfall, it was in the “making” of the resolutions that I had set myself up to fail. Once I realized the error of my ways, it was a piece of cake. It’s amazing what a wee bit of tweaking and justification can do for the soul.

Please read on for my personalized, prioritized, specified, duly-tweaked and justified 2007 New Year Resolutions.

1. Get more organized:

It’s all a matter of interpretation. The new Tivo and Ipod Santa delivered should do the trick. I’ll be more efficient and organized at watching TV and listening to music than ever before.

2. Quit smoking cigars:

This should be relatively easy, as I’ve only smoked one cigar in my life and that was seven years ago. Plus, if I quit before I start, then I’ll never start…right? And that’s one less bad habit to kick in the future.

3. Start exercising my fish:

Fred II, our wonder beta, has been a bit lazy lately and has put on some extra weight. I resolve to plan a morning exercise regimen to get him off the bottom of the bowl. I sure hope he takes the bait.

4. Go back to school:

I'll plan at least one fly-fishing trip with my husband this year and arrange for an accredited guide to school us on the finer points of fly-fishing. If this doesn’t work out then a few golf lessons should suffice.

5. Spend more time with the family:

First, I need to decide which family. I’ll have to get back to you on this one.

6. Try (or learn) something new:

This one is redundant, as I’ve already committed to planning an exercise routine for a beta fish.

7. Work on my spiritual growth:

The fly-fishing trip in resolution 4 above serves double duty. I am never closer to my spirituality than when knee deep in a stream, while wearing my waders and surrounded by breathtaking waterfalls and beautiful scenery. I know just the place. Frying Pan anyone?

8. Take a trip and/or enjoy life more:

See resolutions 1, 4 and 7 above and resolution 9 below.

9. Pay off Holiday debt:

Go to Las Vegas more often. Cha-CHING! Cha-CHING!

10. Get a better job:

Since I work for myself, I’ve decided to change my job title, give myself a raise, and take more time off for watching Tivo, listening to my Ipod, fly-fishing, going to Vegas, exercising my fish and spending more time with the family—once I figure out which family, of course.

Happy New Year everybody. I wish you a wonderfully creative, sideways and loosely interpreted 2007! Or, if the more traditional route floats your boat, then I wish you an amazing parade of traditional boat floating throughout 2007 and beyond!

Postscript: You didn't really think I would share my real resolutions with you now, did you? Rest assured I do have them...and what you don't know can't hurt me!

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

* Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year_resolution

Comments

Being another ordinary chica, I do so agree with making this resolution thing adaptable to our lifestyle. I resolve to be a better grandma this year than last-easy since I wasn't one last year. I should win an award this year. Right?
I resolve to be more romantic at my 26th anniversary this year-again, should be easy to top something like not having been married 26 years before.
I resolve to be less menopausal-getting closer to the end should mean I'll have less symptoms, therefore I should succeed in spades.
How's that????
Carine
www.Carine-whatscooking.blogspot.com
Sideways Chica said…
Very, very good fellow ordinary chica. Me thinks you just might succeed and as Kacey is fond of saying...get a hat trick with all three!

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Anonymous said…
I've also decided not to share most of my resolutions - at least not until I've actually accomplished a little something. Good luck to you in 2007!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Jane Doughnut...I completely understand - and back at you chica!

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

I think I've had the same two resolutions for the last 15 years. Or wait...are those the things that I give up for Lent?!? Either way, I think it's about time I find new ones. Obviously, if they haven't worked out in all these years, I may as well accept the bitter truth and move onto something more productive!

Hope you're more successful at keeping yours than I am! ;)

Take good care,
Lisa
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...too funny chica! Yes, I have a few of those too...the Lent things as well.

Good luck keeping your resolutions. I think Carine has the right idea.

Ciao bella...take care.
Kacey said…
Dear Teri, I keep trying to put in a comment and my new Google blogger won't let me do it! So, I resolve --- to get this damn thing straightened out before I am too old to do it any more. I missed you, Chica, but I'm glad you had a chance to get away,
Leann said…
I try not to make resolutions, they just set you up for failure. I look at the New Year as a chance to do things better, no matter how small. I figure even if they only last for a little while I've had a success of sorts and am happy with it.

My resolution time seems to be around the time my birthday creeps up on me. They it's, "I'm (blank) years old and I'm still doing/being/etc." Time to change. Sometimes it works, sometimes not...lol
Me said…
Teri, i love your post!! sorry it took me a while to read it..too many things to do and take care of in the past couple of weeks, all between trips!
anyway, i have decided that i am not going to have any new year resolutions because i am happy with everything and how i am and all...i know for sure that i am going to go back to the gym soon, i do not need to lose weight, i am happy with my habits, i never quit the school of life, always in contact with family...what else?? i guess this should do it...have a wonderful 2007!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I wondered what was keeping you chica! Hope you get your resolution resolved! FOr some reason I haven't been able to comment on your site either. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week. Hope your Husband is feeling better.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...I like your philosophy...it's sort of like mine. One step at a time and a definite work in progress. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...hard to improve yourself when you're happy! ;)

You are an inspiration to us all!

Ciao bella...have a great week just being you.
Spicy said…
Teri
Loved your post! My resolution is to walk the dog more,,so I got a treadmill, and I'm teaching him to walk on it.

Love Number 5., don't think spending more time with family is conducive to spiritual growth. Family, as in siblings!

Procrastination is my number one resolution, thats why no resolutions so far!
Still working on it.
Have a great 2007!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...that's what I'm talking about! A little sideways logic!

Ciao bella...and back at you on all the good wishes for a great 2007.
fjl said…
I go through all this but only end up resolving to blog more x
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...sounds good to me! ;)

Ciao bella...have a wonderful 2007 and beyond!
Kacey said…
Hi Cute Stuff --- I have a new blog (for my friends---not my family) The new post does have to do with my family, but I'm gonna let you in on my new --- http://BlankityBlog.blogspot.com When I want to write things without my relatives knowing---I'm going to hide out there. Thanks, Kacey
Debbie said…
so sorry the post I mentioned is on the 2 for 1 spot. SORRY!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I will pop in when I get the chance. The intrigue of what you might write minus the watchful eyes of family has me quite curious chica. ;)

Ciao bella...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...I will stop in as soon as I can. ;)

Ciao bella...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Ann...we inherited Fred II from our son in college. I'm afraid to say he was put through the ringer by the time we got him a year ago.

Betas only live 2 to 2 1/2 years, depending upon how much you feed them and other conditions. We feed ours 2 beta gold pellets in the a.m. and 2 in the early evening. I can't imagine feeding ours every few days or so, as he comes to the top of the bowl and asks to be fed...even if it does hasten his death. Our little guy was with our son for a year and now with us for a year, so he is getting close to the Beta Heaven time. For the first year of his life he was fed 3 beta pellets every day in the a.m. only. This was way too boring for me. I needed a higher maintenance pet, as my husband says. Also...I change his water once a week whether or not it looks like it needs it. I use the reverse osmosis water (you can use bottled) and then add the appropriate amounts of the water conditioning drops they sell at the pet store. I also have two plants (one glows in the dark) in the bowl. He loves them and actually sleeps on one of the leafs. My neighbor put live plants in her beta's bowl. I have the colored glass stones in the bottom of the bowl, not gravel. Again, I inherited all of this from the son and due to Fred's age I haven't changed a thing.

Good luck with your beta...and I would encourage you to feed him daily, even if only 2-3 pellets in the a.m. ;)

Ciao bella...and good luck on the sugar thing. Since you said "less" and aren't doing away with it completely, I think you have a good chance. ;)

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred