Shoetree don't bother me

I’m not a man expert, but I am somewhat of a shoe expert—and I’m convinced that there are three types of guys in the world. That’s right; I’ve narrowed it down to just three. There’s the “shoetree” kind of guy; there’s the guy who knows what a shoetree is, but will never use one; and finally, there’s the guy who says, “Shoe tree? Since when do shoes grow on trees?”

As I stood looking at the display of cedar shoetrees in the Nordstrom men’s department recently, these were the thoughts running through my mind. Not sure if I would call it an epiphany. It was more like my own brand of sideways clarity. When I was single, I dated each of these types. So it was that I took an interesting journey down memory lane...with a lot of old shoes walking along beside me.

You can probably guess which type of guy I married, since there I was looking at men’s shoetrees. So perhaps my opinion is biased, but hey…it’s my her-story and I’m sticking to it. Currently, I have two shoetree guys in my life. The eldest stepson is just like dear old dad. The youngest? Not so much. He’s the “I know what it is, but ain’t ever gonna use it” type.

As I left Nordstrom with two new sets of shoetrees, I laughed as I realized how much we can tell about a guy from the way he treats his shoes. And I’m not just talking polish.

Let’s start with the shoetree guy. He always uses shoetrees in his shoes…even his golf shoes. In other words, he takes good care of his shoes.

It’s been my experience that a guy who takes excellent care of his shoes usually takes the same care with other things in his life. He may seem a bit “anal” to some and even emotionally distant, as he’s usually not a great communicator on the personal level. He does try—even though most things related to affairs of the heart leave him confused and frustrated. There’s usually no gray area—just black and white. He’ll listen to reason, if applied with plenty of logic and proof. Yes, the proof for this guy is always in the pudding. He usually excels in his chosen profession and he’s seemingly accommodating, if somewhat manipulative. His “things” are very important to him—including clothes, watches, cars and relationships. In fact, his tangible things are more important to him than your things are. In other words, your shoes don’t matter, unless of course, you’re sharing a closet with him. Be careful. If you leave a pair of shoes lying around where they don’t belong, they just might end up in the trash. Trust me on this one…I speak from experience.

The shoetree guy’s biggest downfall is that he wants everything to be perfect—including the women in his life. He has high expectations and tends to put loved ones on a pedestal. Living with a shoetree guy can be challenging, but rewarding. You might say that you need to scratch beneath the surface to find his “sole.” I encourage you to scratch away. Once exposed, the stable shoetree guy can be a lot of fun. While he may not be the most spontaneous guy, he knows how to enjoy himself as long as he’s wearing the right pair of perfectly groomed shoes. Don’t let his high expectations “shoe” you away. He may seem intimidating at first, but chances are that he’s really a hushpuppy, unless you mess with his shoetrees…or hangars, or closet. Shoetree guy usually stays true to his shoes and knows how to make a commitment. It may take him a while to analyze the situation and decide on the fit; but once he decides on a pair of shoes, he holds on to them and treats them right. He’s in it for the long haul and probably has a pristine pair of Bruno Magli loafers from the late eighties still holding a place of honor in his closet.

Footnote: Some shoetree guys can be real heels, but not my shoetree guys. They’re solid Bohemian leather, from head to toe.

The guy who knows what a shoetree is, but doesn’t care and would never use one, is quite different from the shoetree guy. I call him the favorite guy. Not because he’s my favorite—it’s because he gets a new pair of “favorite” shoes and wears them day and night for weeks on end until he quite literally wears them out. He may periodically give his shoes a shine, but eventually he unceremoniously tosses them in the back of the closet, or the trash, when he’s worn them quite thin. He’s this same way with belts, sweaters—even relationships. He uses his things up—enjoys them to the fullest—and unfortunately shortens their useful lifetime. His downfall is that once his favorites are tattered and worn, he feels remorseful and wishes he had taken better care of them when he had the chance. The remorse is short-lived, but still, it would never occur to him to use shoetrees and change his favorite ways. He just completes the cycle again, including the remorse, and then moves on to a new favorite…which is usually remarkably similar to the old favorite. Sometimes he even has a new favorite pair of shoes waiting in the box before he let’s go of his old pair.

It’s not that the favorite guy is commitment shy. He’ll make a commitment—but it’s usually a short-term commitment, conscious or not. I’ve found that things work out with this guy only if you are patient, go with the flow…and don’t try to make him wear the same pair of shoes for too long. The right pair of shoes is roomy, comfortable and accommodating. One pinch of the toes and this guy is on to a new favorite. He definitely doesn’t like any shoes to cramp his style. Eventually he can settle down with one pair of really great shoes. These shoes need to be up to the challenge and a perfect fit. They need to keep him on his toes. If you have the favorite guy in your life, don’t despair and don’t let him think he’s the only one who can leave shoes in your closet…or under your bed. Things can work out, but you need to be patient, firm and never, under any circumstance, let him walk all over you.

Footnote: When the favorite guy finally falls for one pair of serious shoes, he falls hardhard enough to leave an imprint for life.

Finally, we get to the “fun” guy who thinks shoes grow on trees. This happy go lucky guy lives for the moment. He has a motto—whether he knows it or not. It’s always “easy come, easy go” for this guy. I call him the fun guy because he likes to play. He wants to have fun and enjoy life at all cost. He’s not interested in long-term commitments or serious business. He doesn’t really care how long his shoes, relationships or jobs last as long as he always has the right pair of shoes for every occasion. He does have one thing in common with the Shoetree guy. His shoes are usually in excellent condition. Without a doubt, the fun guy has the most extensive collection of shoes. Some are cast away without a thought, never to be worn again. Since many of his shoes don’t get a lot of wear and tear, upkeep is not a problem. He is constantly trying on new shoes…and doesn’t always buy, if you know what I mean.

Shoes are expensive, but that doesn’t pose a problem for the fun guy. Somehow, he always manages to end up on his feet...while wearing the perfect shoes…or snowboard, or skis, or basketball shoes, hiking boots or stilettos. How does he pay for them? Not a problem. He gets a little help from his friends: Mr. Visa, Mr. MasterCard, Mr. Discovery and Mr. American Express. When he’s all tapped out, he may get a little help from his stiletto of the month. His biggest downfall? Take your pick, but I’ll settle on the fact that he likes to wear a lot of different shoes—sometimes at the same time. Variety is the spice of life for the fun guy. As far as he’s concerned, shoes, relationships and careers do grow on trees. What about commitment? It’s a hike getting there, but many fun guys eventually settle down. There’s always the risk of a broken heel or two, but the journey can be exhilarating. He really knows how to play footsies. My advice for anyone in, or contemplating, a relationship with a fun guy: Make sure you’re not his first, second, or even ninth pair of shoes. And never let him try on for size before checking his wallet. Make sure he has both the funds and the desire to buy. Most of all, be sure the shoes will work in any situation. The key for the fun guy is versatility.

Footnote: Make sure the fun guy knows that you always have your walking shoes handy. Once he gets used to the idea of quality versus quantity, he’ll realize that one pair of really great shoes supersedes a thousand pairs of cheap shoes.

Final word: Shoes don’t necessarily make the man, but a shoetree—or lack thereof—can give you plenty of insight into his sole. As I said, this is my her-story and I’m sticking to it. And yes guys, I hear your rumblings and I see your point. In fact, I’ll raise you a few. The shoetree analogy works quite well for the chicas too. Want to know what type I am? Just check the title of this essay. Shoetree don’t bother me!

© 2007 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Sideways Chica said…
Okay...I'm just having a little fun here. Everyone probably has a different story...and I can't wait to hear them. ;)

I do wonder...how many of you guys use shoetrees and how many of you chicas are with, or have been with, guys who use shoetrees. Do tell please! Did I even get it a little bit right???

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
Yes, you got it right!! My man is for sure a shoetree guy. Me?? for sure i must be a combination of the "fun" type, and my shoes collection can tell so much about it! - and the "shoetree gal"-is this allowed to be two types at one?- enjoy life and be happy but at the same time committed to one person...]
I love love love the analogy...why can't i think the way you do Teri?? Brilliant post!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...I'm so glad you enjoyed. Thanks for the kind words. ;)

As for a combo...sure, why not. As I said, this is my her-story. Each of us is bound to have their own her or his-story. And if the shoe fits...

Speaking of "fit," I'm not surprised you have a shoetree guy in your closet. They're quite a challenge, aren't they? Bit definitely worth breaking in!

Ciao bella...enjoy!
what do you think of one that can be all 3? My guy uses the shoe tree when it's convenient-and for the ones that he's deemed as "not being in this week's line up". then he lines those up in a row, by the bed.
I may only have walkers-but they always wind up on the shoe tree!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...It's my bet that once a shoetree guy always a shoetree guy! As for the walkers...just remember, shoes don't grow on trees -- ever. ;)

Enjoy this week's line-up - which brings me to another point I didn't elaborate on much. When I said shoetree guys are stable, I meant that they're also predictable. And that's not a bad thing, as long as substitutions can be made in the line-up once in a while.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Big Dave T said…
Not sure where I fit in here. I don't know what a shoetree is, but I have personality elements that fit all three categories, I think. See, you shouldn't pigeonhole men. Can't do it. We're all unique. Heh, heh. Somehow I don't think you'll buy that.

I did see a shoetree like the first picture, lots of shoes hanging from a tree. It's there every time I drive to Bay City to see my folks. I wonder what kind of statement the property owner is trying to make.
Chris said…
This was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. You actually managed to pretty concisely cover every guy type out there using, of all things, the f-ing shoetree as your analogy.

This one is a definite keeper. All your posts are brilliant, but this one is particularly sublime.

I, by the way, am the second guy. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...nope, don't buy it big guy! And I wasn't trying to pigeon hole the testosterone...I was just honking at you with a big old shoehorn! You do know what that is, don't you? ;)

Now, as for being a bit of all three: If you were a shoetree guy you would know it and so would the wifey. Perhaps you are a combo of two and three...now that you know what a shoetree really is.

As for the statement of the owner of that tree in Bay City with lots of shoes hanging from it's branches - I think the statement is that he (or she) is definitely of the third category, as in "shoes do in fact grow on trees."

Ciao for now Big Dave and thanks for the laugh!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Christopher...I thought you might get a "kick" out of this one. Thanks for the enthusiasm and kind words.

And of course I knew you were the second guy - the "favorite." I didn't just fall out of the shoe tree you know. You think after more than a year with you that I need to get hit on the head with the shoe tree branch to know that my LLB needs roomy, comfortable and accommodating shoes that don't pinch or cramp his style? Of course not.

I know your shoes need to keep you on your toes. How do I know all that? Because you've already left a big old permanent imprint with me. ;)
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

The only shoetrees I have ever seen belonged to my father. I found them at a very young age while inspecting his closet. They were stored next to the toilet plunger, nowhere near his shoes. I guess that makes him a #2.

None of the men I've been involved with have used shoetrees, unless they did so on the sly. I wonder what that says about me....

My dear chica, I can see that we're never going to have to worry about you running out of new topics to write about!

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...I love this memory of yours. A bit telling if you ask me.

As for running out of topics, I guess not...as something always seems to hit my sideways and twisted radar screen. ;)

As for not having been involved with men who use shoetrees - I've been involved in relationships with at least three. What does that say about little "not so old" and "don't bother with shoetrees" me?

Ciao bella...have a great week of continued clarity.
Anonymous said…
Teri... I'm ashamed to admit my man has more shoes than even I do, but NEITHER of us use shoetrees!! :)

Loved reading your post today - great thought and creativity and even though I am probably out of my league on this one, you're probably right on the money!!

Talk to you soon,
Joy
JaneDoughnut said…
My man actually owns a couple. Huh. I never thought I'd date a guy who used shoe trees.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Joy...well then chica, I would say that two favorites found each other for a lifetime of favors with no shoetrees in their future. ;)

Glad you enjoyed...I was out to have a little fun this week.

Ciao bella...enjoy the favors with your favorite guy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Jane...my sentiments EXACTLY! Plus, I have a few shoetrees in my closet - my single gal closet from years gone by.

Ciao bella...have a great week and don't mess with his shoetrees - unless you want to see some cedar sparks fly.
Spicy said…
Wow! I didn't know people still use those things? I thought that came from the '50's...I have one pair of heels for funerals and the few outings a year on the town, otherwise I live in sneaks.
I once dated a guy who spent more time in the bathroom than I did. At first it was cute, but then it was annoying.
Hmm! You always give me something to think about. Thanks.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...from shoetrees to the bathroom? My, my...we just might have another sideways chica in our midst. We already have quite a few here and I love it. ;)

Ciao bella...and yes, I suppose my guy is a throwback to the 50's - an old soul indeed, but with a young heart and mind. Enjoy the week...and those sneaks.
Kacey said…
I hate the way the "new blogger" is holding me hostage! I try to comment and they make me go back and sign in thru Google and I lose not only my comment, but my train of thought! Sheesh!
Anyway--- I love the way you draw analogies. I am married to a "favorite" type guy, who quit using his shoes trees, but has stuck with me. The reason I married him was not just for the sex, but because his dad owned a shoe store. I love shoes and keep them in their original boxes with the tissue stuffed in the toes. Darling husband, however, has his shoetrees in his sweater drawer and prefers to leave his shoes wherever he takes them off. He gets upset when I pick them up and put them away. After all, he intends to wear them again next week! He still has his Florsheim wing-tips and an original pair of cordovans. (Each pair of Cordovans are made from the rump of one horse.) See how loyal he is --- to horses!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...I haven't switched to new blogger yet, but the day is coming where they will force feed me the new version. ;)

As for your guy...he was once a shoetree guy and is now a favorite guy. I can only surmise that once he found you he found his favorite...and someone who will pick up after him!

And not in a derogatory way, but I agree he is loyal to his horses, and one mare in particular -- Cordovan or not. Dare I say "Ride 'em cowgirl!" ;)

Ciao bella...glad you finally got through to me. Have a great week.
fjl said…
Typical Terry talent. Keep going.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...thank you chica. ;)

Ciao...and have a great week.
Is it public admission time? I have never used a shoe tree. I don't own one. Of course I know what they are. My personality falls halfway between your shoe-tree guy and your "heard of it, don't use it" guy. I like to have my ducks in order, but I definitely relax about things that don't need my attention. Some might call it prioritizing ... I prefer to think of it as surviving by doing what I can and not worrying about the rest.

And if that fails, I just do what my wife says. Takes all the decision-making out of it.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doc Andrew...have wiser words ever been spoken? The wife knows best? ;)

I can see you just as you describe...having your ducks in order. My husband was given little decoy duck ornaments for the Christmas tree many years ago. Do I need to tell you that every year he hangs them "all in a row"? Literally!

Ciao Doc...thanks for the personal "outing." Have a great week.
Seven said…
Sideways,
I take excellent care of my shoes and my wife. Haven't seen or cared about a shoetree in years and years. They still make them? I never understood the point. It doesn't prevent sole wear, it isn't shaped like my feet, my shoes don't spontaneously collapse when I take them off. What exactly is the point of shoetrees???
Fun read, btw.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Seven...and I would expect nothing less of you my friend. ;)

I've never understood the purpose of shoetrees either...even though my husband has a virtual shoetree orchard. This brings me to the most pressing question I have regarding shoetrees...why call them trees? Ah well, it's beyond me.

On a personal level, I'm certainly glad your feet aren't shaped like a shoetree. This would make it awkward at those big Texas summer pool parties. What am I saying? You have your own private pool parties.

Ciao for now...I'm glad you enjoyed. Have a great week.
Anonymous said…
Sideways Chica - I like it.

Y'know, I came 'round last week and left an exceptionally clever and eloquent comment, complete with kool-aid reference and acknowledgement that your wit and wordy-ness are qualities that I can relate to (LLS indeed).

And Blooger ate it.

I love shoes, and I'm quite impressed by an entire essay full of shoe anaologies - today, though, I'm a little sole weary, a little heavy on my feet.

I wonder, too, why trees? And why a shoehorn? One of my Wee Ones says it's more like a shoe scoop or a slipper. I think my fellow is a shoetreeless shoetree fellow. He does insist on having a shoehorn handy. Perhaps if he used a shoetree properly, he wouldn't need a shoehorn? I don't really know. I'm not a shoetree girl. We're quite a pair.

Take care, Teri
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Crafty...yes, you are also a sideways chica, to be sure. I love it!

As for your eaten comment...I fear I have had many of those. For anyone else this has happened to please know that this is a new blogger/old blogger issue and that I have not erased them. ;) I will convert soon, but am prolonging the agony I know I will have to endure.

Love your analogies chica...and yes, the shoehorn name is also confusing. Not a lot of honking. Your wee one is a bit sideways too...and that's a good thing!

Ciao bella...glad you got through! Have a great week Crafty and wee one!
Sideways Chica said…
Okay all...I'm off for a few days and won't be checking in until later in the week.

Please leave your comments if Blogger allows and I will get back to you upon my return.

Ciao for now...
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

First of all--wonderful, creative and amazing post--as usual!! My guy wouldn't dream of using a shoe tree, if he even remembers what they are...but he treats all of his relationships as if he were a shoe tree guy. That's for sure. :)

As for the "eaten comments", I run into this frequently on your blog if I haven't already signed in. FYI, I will tell you that switching to Google was quick and painless, and not at all what I expected. I had no trouble at all!

Now, this is how I handle the blog-monster: I hilight what I've written in your comment box and copy it before I sign in. This way, when your blog eats my comment, I already have it copied and saved, and I just click "paste" into your comment box upon my return. Works every time! :)

PS...I mentioned to Carine that Suite101 is looking for freelance writers, but only for informative-type posts. I'm only familiar with your blog, so if you also write elsewhere about any given "information"-type subject, you may want to pop over there!
robkroese said…
What are these "shoes" of which you speak?

Happy Inappropriate Card Day!
Reach said…
SC,
Wow, this article truly hit the spot- "Spot On", as the Brit's would say.
It is hard to analyze oneself in these catagories, as I fit into each. The fun guy, I love water AND snow skiing but it is difficult to wear my flip flops all the time. Plus, imagine what the shoetree would do to my flip flops- just not a complete fit. I know what a shoetree is and how to utilize their functions, for I have seen them in use. Yet, I do not have any because I believe a pair of shoes are perfect when they come to me and I will always view them in this light. I am a shoetree guy in the fact that I completely care for my shoes. I do keep each pair clean, dry, and polished as needed and I do not wear to many at one time. It's just, since a shoetree is not an issued item, I can not take the chance of failing the inspection.

I have shoes from high-school in my closet that appear new. I loved them then and shall carry those admirations forward from closet to closet. I am not ashamed of my old shoes, though not worn these days, I save them with pride. And the best part, any new shoes that enter my closet have never worried about, or been jealous of my previous shoes. They know upon entry, why I have chosen them to be worn or saved in my wardrobe of hearts.

I am a medium shoetree personality without to many rituals, other than charishing each time I tried them on for size or worn them to a special event- life.
Tamarai said…
I don't have a "fun" guy, I have a "fun" woman.

She definitely has a lot of "sole" to her.

Fab analogy, Teri. Terrific piece, as usual
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...thank you for telling me how easy it is to switch over to new blogger. I'll give it a try as soon as I have the opportunity (read: time). ;)

I know a lot of comments are eaten and hopefully this will alleviate (read: eliminate) the problem!

Glad your guy knows the value of quality shoes chica - and that you know the value of your guy!

Thanks for the 411 on Suite 101...I'll check it out.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Diesel...the shoes that grow on trees, of course! ;)

Thanks for stopping in...and welcome.

Ciao for now...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...but of course you wouldn't risk failing inspection - which makes you a perfect example of a shoetree guy. Did I mention that for some reason I gravitate toward these guys? Guess I'm "reaching" out...or perhaps I'm just a tree hugger. ;)

Glad you enjoyed...and I'm even happier that I provoked some thought with this one - outside the shoebox it seems.

Ciao my friend...I'll check out MS as soon as I can.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...sounds like you two make a good "pair." ;)

Thanks for the kind words chica...great to hear your voice.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Ballpoint Wren said…
Aack! My comment didn't make it in last week! Here's what I said (I must not have pushed the Publish button after I previewed, or something):

Dear Teri, my man owns a couple of shoetrees for his most expensive shoes (from Nordstrom, natch) but before he wears those shoes he has to wipe off the thick layer of dust that always collects on them.

He owns shoes that are older than our marriage (REALLY OLD) and will never dispose of any of them. The only reason they ever disappear is because I sneak them out of the house when he goes on business trips--but only the oldest, most decrepit pairs that really need to be put out of their misery.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie...blogger was eating comments so I finally switched to new blogger. Hopefully this will satisfy the blogger's beastly appetitive. Thanks for commenting again. ;)

Sounds like you have a bit if a shoetree guy...and a keeper, as in a guy who likes to keep everything...and a guy you no doubt will keep for various reasons, regardless of the dust he may collect.

Ciao bella...enjoy!

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred