Satisfaction guaranteed

Okay…my husband is on a diet. His knee surgery last year caused problems. He’s not as active as he was prior to the surgery—not by a long shot. He can’t walk for extended periods, nor can he ride the step machine or the stationary bike at the gym as he once did. He can’t even play golf. Bottom line: he’s gained weight because he can’t do what he normally does to stay fit—almost. We’ll get to the “almost” in a bit.

A new knee is supposedly the answer to this dilemma. Alas, this begets another dilemma. To get the new knee my husband has to lose weight—or else the operation won’t be successful. Exercise is obviously out of the question, so here we are—counting carbs, calories, fat content and constantly reading labels for taboo ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, trans fat and refined flour. We’ve never done this before. It’s almost like learning a foreign language, except foreign languages aren’t as sneaky as the food labels.

This entire situation sounds miserable for him, doesn’t it? Not so much. You know how it goes…what’s his is mine. By this, of course, I mean the diet. Talk about organizing, reading, and pre-planning. I’ve lost four pounds just trying to keep up with his diet. Plus, I’ve learned things—interesting things, strange things. Things I almost wish I didn’t know. More importantly, I wish he didn’t know.

Yes, I’m getting to the “almost” part that I mentioned above. Before I do though, let me explain some of my late night reading material. Since you’re reading (suffering) along with me this week, I might as well share with you some of the interesting (strange) things I’ve learned about weight loss, diet, metabolism and exercise.

The book, “You On a Diet,” was suggested as a reference book for my husband by a friend. Again, his is mine, and that includes reading the majority of this very different book. Written by two doctors, Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz (of Oprah fame), it’s a compilation of scientific data, myths, and other odds and ends about how the body process and eliminates food, nutrients, fat and protein. There’s also a diet and exercise plan buried in there somewhere. Overall, I suppose it’s an informative and useful diet book. Written in an off-the-cuff manner, it’s a bit too breezy for me. I find it forced at times. Most people will probably like the manner in which the authors present the information. I have to admit that the illustrations fascinate me. Not from any stunning artistic capacity, but from their dark, moody style. I found them depressing and at times confusing. Nevertheless, this isn’t a book review. I’m sure there are plenty of people who will read this book, enjoy it, and benefit from some of the content. Just remember, I believe that in life every benefit comes with a non-benefit to contend with—the lesser of two evils. So read on and let me share some of the “factoids,” “myths,” and data presented in this popular book…and one very specific non-benefit.

(1.) I now know exactly how colonics work...and that a 24-hour fast can achieve the same results without getting “a tube pushed up into your lower intestines (via your back end.)” Hmmm? Think someone should let the trendy Hollywood set in on this factoid?

(2.) I know now why some people have smelly gas, while others don’t. Yes, food plays a big role as I suspected, but there’s a bit more to it. Think refrigerator and baking soda…then think about cleaning out the refrigerator. Also…Beano only works for beans. I wonder how they figured that one out.

(3.) I learned that if you must eat simple sugars, you should never eat them all by themselves. A bit of bread dipped in a smidge of olive oil just prior to eating the simple sugar-laden Ho-Ho will help in the processing of the sugar and reduce cravings for that second, third or fourth Ho-Ho or Oreo. Me? I’d skip the Ho-Ho and Oreo and have more bread and olive oil.

(4.)I thought I knew all about good and bad cholesterol, but now I really know all about good and bad cholesterol. In fact, I might become obsessive. Pass me the eggs please, I’m hungry.

(5.) Agriculture is the first historical event that the authors point to as contributing to the rise of excess pounds in society—not the development of whipped cream in coffee, stationary office jobs, or the development of fast food. Hard to digest? Think of it this way: Once agriculture was established, our ancestors became less nomadic, settled into colonies and then started eating what they wanted, not just what they needed. Makes sense to me. I rarely see a fat animal, unless domesticated.

I found this last bit the most enlightening fact in the book. Wish I could say the same for my husband. Yes, I’m “almost” to the “almost.”

I mentioned earlier that my husband can’t perform any of the routine exercises he used to do prior to the surgery last year. But there is one thing he did prior to surgery (and still does) to get his heart rate up in the stratosphere. You guessed it. It’s a three-letter word that starts with an “s” and ends with an “x.” In this wonderful world of Oz book, there are several references to sex. Four in all: pages 49, 134-135, 203 and 224. My husband found each one without using the index or table of contents. Call it “guydar” or just plain creepy. Ask him about the agriculture thing and he’ll not have a clue, even though I explained it to him three times. Heck, ask him about the Beano and he’ll give you the same blank stare he gave me. We don’t eat beans, so I guess I can cut him some slack on this one.

Speaking of cutting slack, I realize that this diet thing has my husband a bit off kilter. Did I mention he’s not had an ounce of alcohol for several weeks…and won’t for the next six weeks. So yes, I’m giving him a bit of a break. Still, there comes a point—and yes, I do have one.

If the benefits of having sex while trying to lose or maintain weight are presented by any doctor, one-on-one, or in book format to a mass audience, then some prominent disclaimers need to be included by said doctors.

It’s not that I have a problem with the information presented in the book, per se. Although, I was a bit surprised to learn that according to the book “sex and hunger are regulated through the brain chemical NPY.” But did they have to include the bit that said “Satisfying one appetite center, you seem to satisfy the other.” Sure, I want my husband to lose weight and benefit from a successful knee replacement. But at what cost to me? I know how much more work will be on my plate after his surgery. I need to rest up a bit.

Hey now…I hear some grumbling out there. I’m no prude. I enjoy a healthy morning, afternoon or evening of delight. And I want to help my husband lose the weight. So what’s my problem? My husband is on a specific diet that calls for six (SIX) meals a day. Do I need to connect the dots? I’m not saying that he seeks a food substitute for every meal…but you get my point. I wish I didn’t.

What about the knee? Isn’t exercise like this detrimental or painful? Detrimental, perhaps, but our wonderful (and this time I do mean wonderful) doctor informed us that there’s nothing that my husband can do to the knee between now and the surgery to make his job in the operating room any tougher. What about the pain? It seems that while my husband is getting “Va-Va-Va-Voom-Satisifed”—as the good doctors Roizen and Oz so cleverly call it in the book—he feels no pain…and more importantly, no gain. Not a single ounce—morning, noon or night. In fact, he’s consistently losing weight.

So, when people ask him how he’s losing the weight, he tells them about his diet regime; counting carbs, eating protein and not drinking. When they ask if he gets hungry, he tells them no…that he’s completely satisfied. When they ask about his exercise program, he tells them that we have an in-home gym (which we don’t). When they ask about the equipment in our non-existent in-home gym, he smiles and then tells them it’s proprietary…as in “Pro-pri-e-TERI.” He thinks he’s so funny. I guess he is. Can you hear me laughing? Maybe I need to work on it a bit. Stay “Ta-Ta-Ta-Tuned.”

© 2007 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Debbie said…
Hey I am all for a SEX diet! I might stick to one of those! Good luck to your husband and you as well have a great week!!!!
Kacey said…
Oh, my goodness! Six more weeks of this program and you will be so skinny that you'll be able to hide behind a hoe handle! Or you will turn into a nymphomaniac and how will he hadle that after the surgery when he can do damage his knee? My #2 grandson lost 49 pounds in four months to get into the Air Force --- and he tried to to tell us he did it by giving up soda pop, sugars and by working out at the Y for three hours a day. Yeah! Sure he did!












1
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...I guess I didn't think of it quite that way. Silly me. ;)

Thanks for the good wishes chica.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...now I'm laughing. And yes, the after surgery exercise plan has me a bit worried too. But he'll be in so much daily physical therapy (and exhausted) that perhaps he won't need as much physical Teri-py! Gotcha chica! ;)

As for as the Air Force grandson goes...maybe he didn't give up all of his "sugar," if you know what I mean.

Ciao bella...enjoy the weekend!
Reach said…
The "His-Teri-gal" diet. And you're right about the "guydar", who were those authors again that recommend physical exertion?

Unfortunately, I'm reading this as, "heavier people need more lovin. Well, at six doses per day". oops- guydar

I know about the criteria for the replacement, he is so lucky. Additionally, he will be up and running much faster than you think.

Not that I would ever be a Pot speaking to a kettle about color, over any literary post. And, in as much time as I have read your articles, I have never found one "typo"; that is, until tonight. I seriously thought about how this could possibly happen; therefore, "know I know" the events surrounding this passage. -- Your Dieting Prof-reader was hungry and let a little something slip by observation.

This article was fun, thank you.

Reach
Callisto said…
Fun stuff Teri.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...thanks for the fun and encouraging words of support I "now know you know" all about "guydar" and the knee replacement. ;)

Yes, the proof reader/editor was hungry, tired and swamped. I knew I missed something, as I wrote this just before I posted it. Cut it pretty close this week. It will be this way for the next few months. So please, feel free... I appreciate it.

Ciao my friend...have a great week no matter what's on your diet!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callisto...thank you chica. It's so good to hear your voice! I thought I would keep the subject matter light this week. Plus, I just can't get this odd Oz book out of my mind. ;)

Ciao bella...hope all is well in your corner of the blogosphere.
Me said…
Teri, you mentioned that it is not a book review but to me it was..very useful one too! thanks.
i am worried about you, just like Kacey said, you will disappear by the time your husband reaches his goal!
i like the sex diet too! i am going to work it on my husband starting tonight!
Have a wonderful weekend!
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

For those of us outside the realm of matrimony, it's interesting to hear about such a challenge. I'm not sure what to make of it. (I haven't even fooled around with a man since my child was born!)

I found myself focusing on the fact that your husband has to have repeat knee surgery. Once is daunting enough; twice is downright scary. He's lucky to have such a Teri-ffic wife who is willing to go to any lengths(!) with him ;)
Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...yes, I guess it was a book review of sorts. I must say that I did learn learn some interesting information. Kind of like a refresher in Biology 101, and I'm not referring to the S#X parts. ;)

As for me disappearing...no worries. I've already decided that when he is finished with surgery, I will quit smoking. A great motivator! So I guess that's the silver lining to save the lining of my lungs!

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...17 years together, and honestly it blows my mind sometimes. Other times, it only seems like 6-months. ;)

As for the surgery...I must admit I am nervous (really nervous) this time. Perhaps I am just tired, or I've gone through this too many times. You would think it would get easier. But it's never easy to see someone you care so much about in pain...including me!

Ciao bella...thanks for the wonderful support. As for your fooling around comment...I'd say get rid of that alarm clock and let dreams turn into reality real soon chica. Life is a journey, complete with pit stops, detours and road bumps. Might as well partake on a little detour and enjoy the view (and a few bumps. Just hold on tight to the steering wheel and be ready to grab for that emergency brake if necessary. You never know when you'll need it...but then again you'll never know when you don't if you don't take a trip once in awhile - and while you are on the sidelines it might freeze up-- the emergency brake, that is. ;)
boy can I relate, I guess your Steve and I had our "season ending injuries", as my son-in-law calls it, around the same time. While I'm not anticipating surgery, I too have not been as active as b/f 9/5/06. I too have put on several unwanted pounds. I just wish I could say I'm havin more sex-w/ a change in schedules, we're glad to just stay status quo! Although-Hawaii is coming....
Tamarai said…
Don't tell Kate that sex burns of calories. She would leave me for sure. Or maybe I could tell her that this is her way of helping me lose weight? NO? Ok... I have a little vibrating friend that could help.

good luck!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...yes, you do have Hawaii. Hmmmm? I wonder if you'll be "dieting." Hang in there chica...all injuries, whether physical or mental, take time to heal. I think your healing season is on its way. Better get your Bikini packed! ;)

Ciao for now...and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Tanya...I can actually feel Big Dave's wince at that last bit of your comment. It was quite "electrical." ;)

Ciao bella...have a wonderfully stimulating week.
Chris said…
You know, I've been trying to find ways to get a little (lot) more sex in my life, and you just gave me the golden ticket. Sex as weight loss regimen. Brilliant.

Not that I'd expect anything less from you, of course.

Thanks for another (highly) stimulating post. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...that is not quite what I had in mind, but then again, I can't fight "guydar," or if I do, I can always expect to lose. Or gain. Are we still talking about a diet? I give up...

Ciao LLB...hope the golden ticket gets you somewhere. ;)
Big Dave T said…
Now I understand better how the word appetite can relate to both sex AND eating. Hea, I know of another three-letter word that starts with s and ends with x and can send your heart racing. Try playing a sax sometime. Same result. Well, kinda.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...Bingo. I believe I read somewhere in this book (or somewhere else) that music also hits the same area and lifts the level of endorphins, and that promotes a sense of happiness and well-being. I don't know if you are as full after the sax as you are after the other three letter word, but then again, isn't the whole point in both to leave 'em wanting more? ;)

Ciao big guy...enjoy the sax or whatever else you have on this menu this week.
Spicy said…
I'm glad you wrote about the book, now I don't have to buy it.
Finally we can say we know a 'happy dieter'. Have a good weekend!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...yes, my husband is the happiest "dieter" I know. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sarah Beth said…
Hmmmm ... good to know! Sounds like you're learning a lot of, cough, interesting things!

I've been offline for so long now ... this is my first back time in a long time and it's so nice to see you're still posting.

Slowly but surely, I'm blogging again, too, and my site has changed to http://nobodygirl219.blogspot.com.

here's to happy women,
sarah
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Sarah (somebody girl!)...so nice to hear your voice again. As soon as I get the chance I'll pop over and check out your new digs. ;)

Ciao bella...and yes, here's to happy women, old friends and, cough, interesting things!
Where can I get this guydar machine. It sounds useful! :o)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doc Andrew...I'm quite confident you already have one, and you know it dude! ;)

Ciao dear doctor...good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred