That's not my suitcase

Why is it that we have some friends who make us feel good about ourselves, and then we have other friends who always tend to bring us down? And just like a marriage, for better or for worse, we hang in there with the downers for as long as possible. Faithful until the end. These days, many friendships outlast marriages. This makes me wonder...do I make my friends feel good about themselves? Or am I a downer friend? After all, I’m opinionated, pragmatic, and if you ask me a question, I generally tell the truth…as I believe it to be. On the plus side, this means that I will always tell my friends when their mascara is smeared or if they have a poppy seed or a piece of spinach in their teeth. But honesty is not always popular, and sometimes difficult to maintain—especially when a friend is going through a rough time.

When friends have a problem, they generally want you to tell them only what they want to hear—and that’s usually what you do, because you don’t want to cause them more pain. Is this really being a good friend? Or is it just a temporary fix that allows them to feel good, or better, about themselves in the short term? Will this type of "friendship" allow them to grow and learn from past mistakes? Or will a pattern develop that they’re destined to repeat?

One friend easily comes to mind, as she's been married several times. I've suffered along with her through every break-up to the point that I have often brought her issues into my own home. And I can always tell when she's headed for another divorce. I find myself analyzing my own relationship, and letting things bother me that I’ve never had problems with before. And as my friend looks into the mirror and laments that she’s too old and that no one will ever love her again, I start checking out the fine lines beginning to appear around my eyes. Within days, my previously healthy homelife becomes strained from this friend's misplaced emotional baggage.

Three times must be the charm for me—or perhaps I’m just a slow learner. I can read the writing on the wall (or should I say property settlement) for this friend’s latest marriage. It seems that I‘ve finally learned to recognize the negative signs, and am distancing myself emotionally from her relationship woes. Does this mean that I’m not a good friend? She hasn’t even noticed my emotional absence. After all, I’m still here for her—I just don’t jump on her bandwagon quite so enthusiastically and suffer every injustice she feels has been thrust upon her yet again. And, as she vents, cries and genuinely grieves, the fact that my own chest does not tighten up in indignation for her situation allows me to think more clearly. I offer her counsel that is based more on reason than emotion. I wasn’t truthful with her in the past, and this hurt us both. I used to tell her exactly what she wanted to hear—that she was right and he was wrong in every situation. Now, I cautiously give advice that may not be what she wants to hear, but might help her from repeating past mistakes.

You’ve heard the saying, "it takes two to tango." Trust me, this friend has tangoed with the same guy over and over again for years. Their names may be different, but they look, sound, act and think exactly alike. Perhaps my new approach will help her find a different type of guy—one that is better suited for her. Or maybe she'll just think of me as a “downer” friend. But maybe, just maybe my new approach will allow me to truly help a friend in need, while leaving her emotional baggage at her doorstep, not mine. After all, that’s not my suitcase—I already have a full set of my very own western-tooled leather luggage that my husband brought home, another bright orange set my mother gave me when I was a teenager, and an overnight bag my brother left here about four years ago. All this baggage is mine—and sure to be a topic for another day!

© 2005 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Sideways Chica said…
Dear Readers...I have several essays I thought I could polish up for this week, but alas...not to be. I promise a new one next week. Until then, this one was on my mind, and I thought we could all be reminded that we don't have to carry every suitcase we find on our doorstep.

Ciao bellas...enjoy!
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

I hope all is well in your life. And about your post, I'd love to find that bright orange set on my doorstep! Even though I don't normally take on other people's problems as my own, a little bright orange diversion sounds kind of appealing!

Take care, chica.

Hugs,
Betty
Big Dave T said…
You're such an upbeat person, it's hard to believe you could be a bad friend to anybody. We all need upbeat people in our lives.

Anyway, one of my personal philosophies has always been that in marriage, you get who you deserve. Sounds like your friend illustrates this well.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...be careful for what you wish for -- you just might find that Orange Suitcase in the middle of that stunning rose garden! ;)

And yes, all is well - just busy. Several deadlines and getting ready for the impending surgery of husband's knee, including his diet, have been all consuming, but no complaints here.

I read your post and haven't had the time to reply yet, but I will. Actually, it runs parallel to an idea I have for an essay. Something about the journey not being as important as whom you take the journey with...

Ciao bella...have a wonderful week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...thanks for the laugh this morning. Yes, we do tend to get what we deserve. Can't figure how I got so lucky, but then every philosophy has a few exceptions to the rule! ;)

Also, thank you for the kind words. I do try to be a good friend whenever possible. Note the "whenever" and the "possible."

Ciao dude...enjoy the weekend and I'll pop over soon.
Anonymous said…
Oh Teri, this one is so relevant, even now. A friend of mine and I are are trying really hard to get rid of our nearly identical suitcases. Lucky for her, hers is stashed in someone else's closet - mine has locked wheels and refuses to budge. Talk about a headache.

Here's hopin' your busy is good busy and that you have enough time to keep yourself from losing your mind. :)

Crafty
Anonymous said…
As always a very powerful post. Good for you, you sound like a very wise friend.
Been lurking and love your blog! You seem to have the writing gift.
Teri, you couldn't possibly be a "downer" friend. Sometimes, you do have to distance yourself. As for telling the truth-it's easier to remember what you said, if you keep it straight. I'll miss reading next week's column-but since I'm about to fly off-how big is that orange suitcase????
Spicy said…
Teri,
I held on to a friendship for 30 years. Why? Just because we were old friends and grew up together. Finally I had to let it go,,,,it was too draining. On my part, there was too much give and not enough take. It just wasn't fun anymore. It was difficult,,,,not easy to let go, but much healthier.
As usual,you're very thought-provoking.
Kacey said…
Dear Teri, This is not the first essay I read of your's, but it is my very favorite. I have related your thoughts on picking up other people's extra baggage to many friends since this was written. This is just one of the golden analogies from the pen of the great one.
Ballpoint Wren said…
I don't remember this one... forgive me if I read it before and forgot it!

I have an old friend who is going through lots and lots of troubles and I think she's making an enormously wrong decision, but I'm not saying anything about it.

She's been through a lot and I'm glad she's surviving, and I don't have the guts to tell her what I really think about this one issue. Even though it's really important.

I should be a good enough friend to be totally honest, but for some reason I can't.
Callisto said…
I remember this one. I liked it then, but I got a lot more from it this time. Things change. Last reading, I was married, now I'm separated. For a while there, I was trapped in a baggage sorting area. But I'm clear of that now :)

Interesting thing is, I've seen nearly every one of my friends re-examine their own relationship as they watched mine crumble. A couple of my friends even dropped off the radar for a few months, but I understood that they weren't equiped to hear or see the 'bad stuff'. There is only so much baggage each of us can handle at any given moment.

Thanks Teri.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Crafty...I find that sometimes a subject comes back around..and around...and around, such as excess baggage! ;)

And no, I haven't lost my mind yet, but methinks I'm getting closer!

Ciao Bella...always good to hear your voice.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...thank you for lurking and thank you for participating, and finally, thank you for your kind words!

Ciao for now and have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...enjoy your trip chica...and I'm sure that orange suitcase is way too big for you.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...sounds like you're travelin' light, just the way I like too! ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy the week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...yes, I knew this was a favorite of yours and hoped you would still find it amusing, thought provoking and relevant. Well, maybe not the relevant part. ;)

Ciao bella...I've been swamped with no time to pop over and visit. Hope all is well.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...we all have to choose our battles (and hills) wisely. If you are not ready to give it to her straight, then I suggest on the rocks, as it may go down a bit easier, especially if it's a margarita on the rocks. Cheers to you chica, I know you are a good friend to your mates.

Ciao bella...enjoy.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Callisto...so sorry to hear of the separation, but it sounds as if you've put some excess baggage at the curb for the trash man to taketh away. Good for you chica. And yes, there is only so much baggage any of us can handle at one time. That's why I've invested in some new, lightweight pieces that expand only when necessary. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Leann said…
Negativity begets negativity.

I can't imagine you being a bad friend. But, I would rather have honesty above all else. Not all people are like that.

The clouds are nice to visit, but would not want to live there.
Me said…
Teri, sometimes we have no choice but to have those downer friends.i personally try to have fun friends...even some of those become downer friends at times.we are all humans and have this in us, change our moods! i had a freind who gave me bad vibes and made me go into a bad mood whenever i saw her, i could not place it or treat it so i decided to stop being around her, she is a nice person but i think i did not mix well with her!!
i cannot imagine you being a downer friend ever!
you always come up with the nicest topics...love reading you!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...right you are. Clouds are nice for a visit, but eventually they rain down on us. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy those boots.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...you are so right chica. Sometimes we just have to insulate ourselves from the negative ducks and send them flying south! ;)

Ciao bella...good to hear your voice.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred