There’s no taste like home

Recently, I inadvertently sent my son contraband. The custom officials confiscated the forbidden goods, but I’m certain they didn’t just toss it away, unless it was while tossing a nice green salad—a nice big and expensive salad.

I was trying to give our youngest a little taste of home—home, home on the ranch. He’s in Australia for a semester and won’t be back until the end of July. Needless to say, he’s having the time of his life, but once in awhile he gets a twinge of homesickness. Not so much for us folks back home, but for the flavor of home. When I spoke with him a few weeks back, he said he was missing Mexican food—more specifically, salsa and tortillas. Then he said he was missing his favorite salad dressing—Ranch dressing. As his birthday was coming up (and Easter), I decided to send him a care package...knowing it would be expensive. I justified the cost by telling myself that at least he would eat a few greens with his Fosters.

So off my husband and I went to my not-so-favorite (still carrying coffins at the exit) warehouse store. We bought the big (jumbo) two-pack of Ranch dressing and the gigantic container of salsa. The gigantic salsa container weighed five pounds. Next, we stopped by UPS and asked about the shipping. They weighed the Salsa, which was less than the two Ranch Dressing bottles. It would be almost a hundred bucks for the salsa alone. I added canned Ortega chilies and flour and corn tortillas, as well as Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and a variety of Easter candies—and of course the seven pounds of Ranch dressing. Total charge out the door—$165. As I signed the credit card receipt, I rationalized once more that it was our boys 21st birthday—and the first time we’ve been away from him for so long. In other words, it was worth it.

Both my husband and I felt a parental sense of satisfaction as the clerk labeled the box and readied it for shipping. We also included a generous check in his birthday card. All in all, it was a costly day. But we smiled as we drove back home…anticipating the pleasure our boy would receive from every bite of salsa and Ranch dressing over the next four months.

Skip forward eight days. When we heard from our young wanderer that the package had arrived and that he’d already plowed through a substantial amount of chocolate and salsa, I asked about the Ranch dressing. He hesitated and then said he hadn’t made a salad yet. When I asked if everything arrived in good condition, he responded in the affirmative, but didn’t elaborate. This was not like him. He’s not the yes, no, or maybe son who takes after his father…he’s my storyteller. Finally, I asked if he was feeling okay. When he said he was, I patiently remained quiet, waiting for more—as I’ve learned to do with him. Finally, he fessed up and told me an interesting story.

It seems as if Australia has some of the most stringent custom laws in the world. I broke an importing regulation and then unwittingly led them straight to the contraband. The culprit was eggs. I didn’t send any eggs, unless you count the Cadbury chocolate eggs I included at the last minute. However, I did send two gigundo bottles of Ranch dressing that cost at least $65 in postage costs alone. The eggs in the processed dressing are a no-no. I wryly thought of the day I sent the package and the clerk at UPS helped pack it up. He laughed at the big bottles of dressing, and then told me to be sure to include a detailed list of all contents on the custom’s paperwork that was later attached to the box. The clerk was the expert, or so I thought. I did what he asked. I listed processed salsa, processed salad dressing, and miscellaneous Easter candies. My big X marked the spot. Now I know "what can Brown do for you."

Yes, I admit that I felt bad my son didn’t get to enjoy the costly dressing. But then he very maturely, and respectfully, explained that Australia is a very healthy country—they work hard to keep it that way, and they have certain custom rules he wasn’t aware of when he asked that I send the dressing. I could tell he was worried that I was upset at the cost of sending something he didn’t receive…and something he asked me to send. But I wasn’t upset with him, or Australia. I was a bit miffed that the UPS clerk didn’t know better, and didn’t advise me not to send the dressing. Mostly though, I was upset with myself for not thinking of just sending lightweight packets of the dried mix and telling our son to read the directions and buy the buttermilk at his local market.

Later, as I was relating this story to a friend, I had another thought…and I laughed. And this is the story I'm sticking to. I’m actually happy the custom officials confiscated the contraband. And no, I’ll not send our boy any of the dried packets of Ranch mix either. Everything worked out just right. It was an expensive lesson, but one I’ll not soon forget as both my boys continue to mature and wander the world. You see, Dorothy had it right. Whether it’s Kansas, California, or Australia, there’s really no place—and no taste—like home. If our bambinos can readily find the flavor of home they crave from a gigundo shatterproof bottle of dressing from their local warehouse store, what will bring them back home to our doorstep? What will bring them back home to the ranch? Even if just for a quick visit. Now, I wonder if there are any restrictions on shipping shoes to Australia. Think I'll check with Fed Ex this time. Ruby slippers anyone?

© 2007 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Spicy said…
Absence does make the heart grow fonder,,,,,,for Moms cooking! Our sons are worth every cent.,and its the thought that counts. Money well spent.
Have a great Easter!
Sideways Chica said…
Thanks Matty...money well spent indeed! Have a happy Easter chica. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy!
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

I didn't know that ranch dressing had anything to do with eggs! It's good to know, since my child also prefers ranch and will undoubtedly be globe trotting someday! But now you've got me thinking (as usual) and I'm going to make sure I establish some clear favorites that'll keep him coming back once he grows up. Cheese pizza can be found even on uninhabited tropical islands, so I'm going to have to start expanding his preferences a bit, I see. My tofu/miso/brocolli gruel has not impressed him as of yet.

Hugs,
Betty
Ballpoint Wren said…
Ah, Teri, that would've kept me up at night! Dang!

I sent two packages out last week (one to Manitoba) and one to Illinois) but they still haven't arrived yet, and I'm losing sleep over THAT.

But you are 100% correct. You want to have a little something to entice them to come home.
Amazing where lessons come from isn't it!
Me said…
Teri, All in all, i am glad you are not mad at the cost or the shipped ranch not getting there!! Life lessons never stop, no matter how old we get. I have learned to live with whatever there is available in the country I am at...I improvise a lot, which makes life and food interesting and fun !! Necessity is the mother of all inventions!
Kacey said…
Foreign countries are a whole different ballgame. We should be so proud of our postal service. A couple of years ago I sent two packages to Argentina for some missionary's kids. They were $75.00 each + $25.00 to mail them. I had to list the contents on the outside. EAch had a Disney Tee shirt, Dinosaur books for the little boy, Pre-School children's books for the girl, Pixie Sticks, girlie hair do-dads, yo yos, MatchBox cars, Candy Necklaces, colored oil pencils, coloring books and Oreos. The postal people in Argentins have benefit of taking packages that tickle thir fancies and never delivering them. They can set the packages on a shelf and demand a storage fee for each day there, so if the missionary cannot afford to get his package out of "hock" --- the authorities take them home and have a ball. It is infurating, but is part of the reason we love living in the U.S.A. Try telling that to the liberal Hollywood types who think this is such a bad place to live. Too bad about the dressing and Australia, because I love Australia and would go back there in a flash!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...I just knew you would "get" this. And yes, I think you may need to deviate from the tofu/miso/brocolli gruel for a come back to ranch impression. I have the best mac and cheese and baked ziti recipes. Neither have meat and both breaks the back, bank and scales scales, but the smiles on those faces once or twice a year are definitely worth it. ;)

Ciao bella...here's to comfort food. Enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...too funny chica, as always. ;)

Here's to enticement...it works every time. Why can't I remember that??

Ciao bella...hope your packages make it intact!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear MyKitchenInHalfCups...

Amazing indeed! Welcome to my roundtable. Enjoy.

Ciao bella...hope to see you again. I post a new article every Friday.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...spot on chica. You know exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you for sharpening my point. ;)

And of course I wasn't upset about the cost. I wish I had known, but now I do...plus the lesson was definitely worth it.

Ciao bella...enjoy and take care.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...whew! ;)

No, I'm not upset with the Aussies. I actually admire that they have such stringent rules...and apparently enforce them. I hope to visit soon, and I'll not be taking any egg products with. Perhaps I'll see you there chica. Shrimp on the barby anyone? ;)

As for U.S. postal...of course we are most fortunate to have the service we do...but I could tell some stories here too. But...where would we be without a few post office stories? Rain or shine we have the best. Even this tree hugger admits to that.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Unknown said…
Even though he didn't get what he is craving for, I'm sure he feels the luckiest on earth having such parents with a very thoughtful idea!
P.S: guess what?! Your previous post about playing golf was so tempting!! Me and hubby went for mini golf as a start! hehe, and it's was my first:) check my blog out for pix:D
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nido...thank you and I hope so! ;)

Checked ouy your mini golf championship. Sounds like you had a ton of fun. Next time you just might win. Wait a minute...you had a great time, so you did win. Silver linings chica are so underrated.

Ciao Bella...enjoy the week.
Reach said…
I remember one time landing in New Zealand. We denied possessing any contraband to one officer at the same time another found canned vegetables in a survival bag. This was an embarrassing moment; however, I found relief in the moment as the inspection discovery detoured away from my over sized, and not permitted, survival knife.
Big Dave T said…
Our youngest, also 21, is less than a month away from a six-week semester studying in Russia. I think he's going to have to make do with borscht, baklava, or whatever the natives serve there. We're not going to risk trying to send native food through Soviet customs agents.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...I bet you didn't miss those canned vegetables at all. You are the ultimate survivor I think. But please, do be careful in the future. With the state of things in the world these days, I advise that you leave those veggies at home from now on. ;)

Ciao my friend. Good to hear your voice. Enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...great idea. I bet you save a few rubles too!

Glad to see we have yet another thing in common.

Ciao big guy...enjoy the week.
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

I didn't realize the Aussies had such a problem with eggs. No wonder why everyone says that their mayonnaise is gross.

Fifteen years ago, before I was hip to ordering food items on the internet, I couldn't figure out how to mail a boysenberry pie to NY while visiting CA. So I put it in my suitcase. You can only imagine (But I ate the whole thing anyway)!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...welcome back chica! I see you are a girl who likes to have her pie and eat it too. Good for you.

Ciao bella...hope all is well. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Readers...Deadline time and I haven't got any time to polish and post my next column. Hopefully this weekend. Speaking of weekends, have a great one. ;)

Ciao for now...
Kacey said…
You have been a very busy chica!Yes, we missed having your post today, but take your time --- we will be here, just waiting on your doorstep when you get time. Are we loyal or what?
Ah yes, home. You know, this goes for adults too! We loved the islands, but there really is no place like home-especially for a good salad, of which, trust me, are none to be had on the island of Kauai!
Maholo
Unknown said…
I'm waiting:D
Sideways Chica said…
Such patient chicas...I will do my best! ;)
Ballpoint Wren said…
My packages arrived this week--the Canadian one landed on the right door step this morning!

And now I see you are struggling with a deadline just as I am.

DEADLINES=UGH.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...good for you chica. Hopefully now you can get some rest.

Ciao bella...new article soon (I hope!)
Sideways Chica said…
Here's the deal my patient readers - I will have a new article up later today. I thought I would have had one up earlier this week, that's why I didn't at least post a rerun. Sooooo....stay tuned for fresh programming - soon!

Ciao for now...
Anonymous said…
Cash Making Opportunities - The Beginning The working life is already tough enough, but the worries of being out of work was even tougher. The unsecured working environment have prompted me to search the internet for an alternative source of extra income so that I could learn how to Make Money Work for me and be Financially Independent. I listed down a number of Free Internet Business Opportunity Ideas while researching ways how people earn money online while working-from-home.......

www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred