Et tu?


I’ve recently decided that life is too short to have a grocery basket that won’t turn to the right—regardless if I am picking up groceries for the week or it’s just a quick stop for milk and eggs. Sure, I used to suffer through with the status quo, but not anymore. Just the other day, I signaled to the store manger and asked that he help me transfer my food to another cart—one that wasn’t a constant source of irritation and a danger as I couldn’t get out of the way of the mother who was quickly bearing down on me with three children in tow and enough groceries to feed an army.
This was an epiphanic moment for me. It was one in which I consciously gave way to my subconscious—that little voice that’s been whispering “quality versus quantity chica” for the past three years. When I was working 95 plus hours a week, all I could think about was a safe and secure retirement—knowing that with the California lifestyle I would most probably work in some way or another for the remainder of my life. And also acknowledging that I am not one to sit still often.
Since I gave up my ad agency, I rarely think of retirement. Like the hamster without the wheel, I don’t seem worried about getting “somewhere” anymore. But really, that’s not true either. I worry about getting somewhere, but I’m focused more on the journey itself. Do I want to sit and spin my wheels all day long waiting for something that may never materialize because of those big black SUVs that continue to dog me whenever I leave the house in my tiny little convertible? Or the bus that almost took me out on a recent getaway with my husband? No…no, no, no. Life is too short, too unpredictable and most of all…too precious. It’s certainly too precious to suffer for an hour, a half hour, or even ten minutes with a grocery basket that only turns to the left—or worse, has one wheel that won’t rotate.
If I sound different, if my voice has changed a wee bit, then I believe it’s because I have finally decided to take some risks. Someone said to me recently that cash is king. Well then, if cash is king, then I’m just a lady in waiting. And yes, I use the term “lady” loosely. Speaking of loose—it’s time to loosen up. Time to stop worrying about the bend in the road. Time to realize that while I have the rest of my life in front of me, I don’t know what’s in front of me—and I won’t know until I run smack dab into it. And when that happens, I won’t be wrestling with a grocery cart that only turns to the left.
Yes, I suppose my epiphany moment has actually been three years in the making. And of course it has something to do with getting older. But this sideways chica buys wholeheartedly into the motto that older is better, older is wiser, and older is not the end of the road. I am tired of being a lady in waiting. I can make changes that may not be as safe and secure as our parents taught us to be, but they can result in more life in my years, if not more years in my life.
Rambling though this is, as my fingers and mind (and wit) are a bit rusty, my thought process is clearer than it has been in years. My passion for life has awoken and can’t be sedated.
Here’s to today. Whatever tomorrow brings will be whatever tomorrow brings. As for yesterday…that’s old news. While I have much to be grateful for, and many wonderful memories to cherish, the trash man cometh and the trash man taketh away. Live, laugh, love. It’s time I start following my own advice. Et tu chicas and chicos?
© 2007 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Chris said…
Indeed. I'm in the midst of my own epiphany, one thrust on me by circumstance, but one I needed to have. I am also tired of spinning my wheels and am ready to take a risk. I'll let you know how that all pans out. ;)

Here's to our risky lives. May they be filled with both quantity AND quality. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Indeed right back at you LLB. Good to hear your voice. ;)

Here's to not spinning our wheels waiting for life to happen--here's to you and your risky business. And by the way, isn't everything a risk in its own way? I'm not talking about throwing caution to the wind...just living a little. Quanity AND quality may be a pipe dream, but I've smoked a pipe a time or two. ;)

Ciao dude...I'm in your corner.
Spicy said…
You got it, Teri,
Run with your heart and not with your legs!
Where have you been? we missed you!
Getting older doesn't bother me! The grandkids keep me grounded...and are a constant reminder to live in the moment!
Come visit...writer's contest going on!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...by George you got it too, chica! ;)

I've been cleaning house, and I've missed you too. I can't promise I'm back on my regular feed yet, but I'm close.

I'll pop over when I can...and I envy your spirit.

Ciao bella...enjoy the week. Enjoy the "ground."
Leann said…
It's nice to see you again Teri! You were missed.

I'm beginning to enjoy those new boots and have taken some nice long walks. They are breaking in nicely.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Leann...so nice to see you again too chica! And I'm very glad to hear you've been putting those boots to good use. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy those nice walks...I walk two miles every day and it always helps put things into perspective. And with the boots...well then -- that's icing on the cake! Have a great week.
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

Yes, it's good to hear from you again! I'm glad you turned in your faulty cart. It reminds me of the serenity prayer, about accepting the things we can't change, having the courage to change the things we can (like carts) and having the wisdom to know the difference (like you did). I hope to hear more soon about your epiphany!

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...Yes, you get it too chica! I love the analogy - perfect. As for the epiphany, it is a work in progress, and I'm sure (bit by bit) that you'll hear all about it. ;)

Ciao bella...great to hear your voice! Have a great week.
Debbie said…
YIPPEE! your back. glad to see that you are taking the time to live your life. It gets so easy to fit into other's roles, and we forget to take time to "roll" down that bumpy, hilly, path. Don't forget the more twist and turns the better the ride! Glad to hear you are back. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...Yippee right back at ya , chica! ;)

Thanks for the great advice...I'm off to roll, and perhaps rock a bit too!

Ciao bella...thanks for the warm welcome back. Have a great week.
Me said…
Good to read from you again!!!
Live, laugh, love...what a simple but great advice!
have a wonderful weekend.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...thank you, and it's good to hear your voice too. Please forgive me if I'm not able to blog around for awhile...but my plate overfloweth, even after all of the proverbial housecleaning. ;)

I hope all is well in your corner of cyberspace - and I wish you a wonderful week and beyond as well.

Ciao bella...enjoy the living, the laughing and the loving.
Welcome Home Teri! so glad to "see" you!
I know of where you speak-when I was working "those hours", my son (the graduate)sat me down and told me I had become someone he didn't wish to come home and be around. He didn't ask, he told me to quit and listen to my heart.
I did and like you, I'm not looking back. Definitely happier!
Kacey said…
I was here the other night and wrote a fantastic comment on this great blog. Then, the blogger hob-goblins ate the darn thing! So, I will try to remember what I wrote.

You're back! You're back! You're back!
So much for remembering the whole thing. At my age, I am lucky to remember what I had for lunch!
As we get older, we discover that you only go around once, so we better make certain that we do the things we really enjoy. "My Honey" has finally decided that he can be retired and not contribute to the grand scheme of things anymore. I hope you take the chances and do the things that are really important to you and Steve.
Like the song says---
If tomorrow never comes –Will he know how much I loved him?
Did I try in every way---to show him every day
That he’s my only one?
If my time on Earth were through and he must face this world without me—
Is the love I gave him in the past gonna be enough to last—
If tomorrow never comes?

If a doctor told you that you only had a couple of months to live --- would you spend them doing the same things you have been doing all these years?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...good for you chica. Taking risks is a part of the plan. Can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. Just ask my husband. Someday I will write about an experience that still stings.

Ciao bella...thanks for stopping by. Have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...so sorry that your earlier comment was gobbled up. ;)

Now...I just want to say that YOU GET IT! Yes, the "only two month to live" analogy is perfect. It is the quality not the quantity that I am working for, working on, and bound and determined to get. And how lucky am I to have a shining example in you to lead the way?!

Great to hear from you chica. I've missed your wit, insight and abundant smarts!

Ciao bella...I'd say "Enjoy," but I already know you are. ;) Thanks for hanging in there with me. I will leave this post up 'til most of the faithful wonder by and see that the Sideways Chica is alive and well and still kicking.
Doug Bagley said…
Teri, another good bit of advice I recently ran across came in the form of a Jimmy Buffet song, "Breath in, breath out, move on." Simply but so true
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...so true my friend. I know the song well. ;)

Good to hear from you - thanks for stopping in and sharing.

Ciao for now...and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Hey there everyone...I hope to have a new article up next week and back on schedule. ;)

Ciao for now...
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

So glad to see you "up and running" again, and with a very poignant post, as well. Somehow I feel that you are a woman who always lands solidly on her two feet, no matter what risks she takes!

Life is way too precious to waste it fighting with an unyeilding shopping cart--or anything else, for that matter.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...good to hear your voice too chica! Yes, I thought you might understand...and thank you for the vote of confidence. I have been likened to a cat a time or two...and I hope its true! I have a feeling you are a bit feline as well - nine lives, landing on your feet, etc. ;)

Ciao bella...meow!
Sideways Chica said…
Okay...so I didn't quite make it with a new article. I haven't run out of material - after all, I live behind the Orange Curtain. What I seem to be lacking is time. I know you are all out there checking on me each week, and for this I thank you. I will get back on schedule, I will return, and I will figure out this time issue. For now...it's "time" to meet another deadline.

Ciao bellas... ;)
BabyGirl said…
I hope dear Teri that what you've experienced in your epiphany moment is to not look for the 'riches in life' but the 'richness in life'.

As the old saying goes "YOU GO GIRL!"
Sideways Chica said…
Dear babygirl...spot on chica! That's exactly what I meant and what I mean to do. ;)

Good to hear from you and sorry for the unplanned sybattical here - but I will return soon on my regular Friday Morning schedule.

Thanks for checking in on me.

Ciao bella...Have a great week.
gee, I don't know whether to congratulate you on your success at being so busy, or pity you. But I do hope that what you are doing is making you happy and that all is well.
Sideways Chica said…
How about a little of both Chica Carine? ;)

I have a lot of irons in the fire and they've all started sizzling at the same time. Sorry I haven't got back to you, but I haven't been getting back to anyone unless it is deadline oriented.

Ciao bella...hope all is well in your neck o' the woods! Have a great week.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred