Last one in...

‘Tis the season for laughter, yelps and squeals. ‘Tis the season for echoes of “Marco Polo” and belly dives into the community pool by the neighborhood children. ‘Tis the season for remembering when we were young, and our children were young, and others who were not so young (and those without children) weren’t tolerant of the laughter and yelps and squeals that echoed off the chlorine-saturated water…resonating with gleeful abandon the uninhibited joy that only those so young can experience on a hot August afternoon.

It’s all about tolerance and understanding. There wasn’t much of either at my community pool the other day. Youngsters playing in the pool inadvertently splashed my friend and me. I laughed at their antics, but my friend…not so much. She got up in a huff, threw a few dirty glances and left. It seems that she didn’t want to get wet. Yet she was sitting and reading poolside. How does the saying go? If you don’t want to get burned, stay away from the fire? I say, “If you don’t want to get wet, stay away from the pool.”

I think this philosophy works for most anything. Sure, you can lead a safe, sheltered and unmolested life with everything predictable and in its place. Or you can go with the flow and live, and let live. I opt for the latter. I am a huge proponent of your rights are your rights, but only if they don’t infringe upon the rights of others. I don’t think this applies to sitting poolside and expecting not to get wet—expecting others not to enjoy themselves because you have high and dry expectations.

I believe that no matter how old you are—if you are still able to—then an occasional belly flop into the pool is therapeutic. I believe that the happy squeals of youth are our future. I believe that children need tolerance in which to find their wings and soar…to heights that are limitless, not heights that are structured and inhibited by rigid and unrealistic expectations. Children should be heard and seen. How else can we teach them? How else can we learn from them?

Perhaps I am an anomaly. Perhaps I just don’t like double standards. I have heard many older people complain about neighborhood children and their actions, only to watch these same older people throw their so-called standards to the wind when their grandchildren come to visit.

There are communities where children are prohibited for a reason. This is ideal for those who don’t want to be—or shouldn’t be—bothered with the inevitable disruption of children. Not me. Even if I live to see 80, you’ll have to drag me kicking and screaming away from the pool—and away from those yelps, squeals and high-pitched screams that echo off the chlorine-saturated water. And yes, I realize that there are many people in senior communities who would love to hear the squeals and yelps of children, but haven’t a choice. I refer only to the unrelenting Mr. Wilsons here…not the compassionate and understanding Mrs. Wilsons. I write of those who have grown intolerant only for the sake of being intolerant. And no…the children I write of are not the “menaces,” although I know they are out there. I write of the children who are generally well-behaved.

Maybe I am guilty of wearing rose-colored glasses. It is possible that I might change my attitude as I grow older. Maybe my point of view is as judgmental as the intolerant Mr. Wilsons in my hood. But, maybe, just maybe, I have a few more belly flops in me—and I plan to enjoy every single one of them. So, if you don’t want to get wet, please take my advice and stay away from the pool. Nobody enjoys a wet beach towel…it’s kind of like a wet blanket.

So here’s to the children. Let them soar to new heights…above intolerance and always respectful of the rights of others. Let us teach them well. Let us give them room to spread their wings. Let us get our hair wet occasionally and not complain. More importantly, let us execute just one more enthusiastic belly flop. Last one in is a rotten egg!

Comments

how true Teri! Although I have to say, my children were always perfect (LOL)and I loved every moment of the you know what they put me through! And for the 10years I spent raising other peoples children-I thought 90% of them were wonderful(there's always one in every class), but I have to admit, being around kids that much, when we went out to eat We both wanted to eat away from small ones. We enjoyed watching them from across the room, but for the few moments we had-we wanted quiet.
And now, of course, my grandson is absolutely the most perfect 7 month old genius in the world-

Really, love to watch and hear children laugh and live life-can anything ever be more joyous?
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...yes, you get my point chica. Good for you. Sounds like you have a few more belly flops to execute as well...as do I, if only in my mind. ;)

Ciao bella...enjoy the week and that little grandson of yours.
intend too, you as well! BTW, so glad you're back!
Sideways Chica said…
Thanks Carine. Two weeks in a row...that's something. I don't know what next week holds, but I'll try to keep it going. ;)

Ciao bella.
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

This reminds me of the "happy house" concept which I've blogged about....it came up again this week, as it does whenever there are more than 2 children gracing my house. The sounds are foreign to me, because The Child is normally quite quiet. So when shouts, squeals and laughter permeate the house, I'm always taken aback, and have to assess the situation to see if it's OK with me or not. (It's because of my "boundaries" problem.) Many people live this way all the time, and really, as you say, kids need the freedom to let loose. After the visitors left, I noticed that The Child's energy was at a thriving level the rest of the day, and his pottery teacher said he had a great lesson.

This coming Monday I'm having a house full of kids all day long (last hurrah before school starts) so I think I'm trying to convince myself that this is good.... maybe I should take them to the pool...

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...I understand your conflicted position. But I need to issue a warning here, as I have much experience in the "pool" area. One adult per two children at the pool. If one is an infant or a baby, then a dedicated parent/watcher for that one as they tend to distract one's attention...and it only takes a millisecond for these kids to find trouble and vice versa. So rally another parent or two to go with... :)

As for which is better...lots of noise or quiet playtime? I prefer a balance. When the youngest was small, we would go to the movies often. Sometimes he could bring a friend and other times it was just us...same at home.

Good luck chica...I know you'll do just fine.
;)
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

I like your movie idea! And thanks for the pool warning- when I think about it, I realize that there's no way that a person of my temperment could pull off a pool date with 3 kids! The movie theater sounds perfect...

Hugs and thanks,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
There you go Betty...great idea. Frozen yogurt afterward is always a hit! Plus the mess isn't in your home. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great time.
Sideways Chica said…
So glad you agree LeAnn...perhaps a belly dive with boots?? ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Dust-bunny said…
Teri,

Great post. Sometimes, though, I am the cranky curmudgeon, although I hate to admit it.

This post brings to mind a recent Saturday night. My oldest, dearest friend invited us for dinner at her house--simpler for her because she doesn't have an easy time trusting babysitters with her autistic, 7 year old son who likes to "escape" out the front door. Her husband is an excellent chef, so that wasn't the problem. I just kept thinking that her eight year old daughter--very verbal, intelligent, and even sarcastic on occasion--was not going to allow us to sit and have adult conversation and would be vying for attention the whole time (in my profession, and with all of the teens living in my house, sometimes you just need a reprieve from that on the weekends).

Well, I ended up feeling like a heel. When we came in, my husband and I went out on the swings with her while my friend was cooking some side dishes, and we really had a good time playing with her! Afterwards, the parents gave the kids permission to eat in the den while watching TV as we all sat around the table with our wine, good food and good conversation. We hardly heard hide nor hair of her. And the one time she did come in and say something, I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair. While my friend touted her son's amazing ability to use the computer, her daughter slyly and quietly said, "Well, he can't go to EVERY website...I can book plane tickets."

Kids!!
Sideways Chica said…
Great to hear from you Lisa...yes, we had one of the "adult" kids, who wanted to hear every word said by the adults rather than play with the other kids. I quickly remedied this by making him the activity chairperson for the other kids...he was their go-to guy, so he hardly had time to sit and listen and partake and then repeat (mostly incorrectly) what was said by the adults.

Time and place chica, as you well know. My pet peeve is the adults who take their children to the adult pool when there is a childrens' pool available.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Kacey said…
Honey, you ain't seen nuthin', yet! Wait until you are a senior citizen and end up living in a gated community for people "Over 55". Once they drive their golf cart into their new home, they turn in their compassion gene. The pool area is full of golden oldies, who float around the pool on a noodle and trade stories from WWII. When spring break comes and a few grandchildren are around, they turn into riot police. The sound of childrens' voices are the things that make your heart smile, but they have no hearts, just their bill of rights. This is the very thing that makes me love people like you --- you are still young and have a lovely heart.
Oh, yeah, I am up and about for parts of the day and have blogged once since surgery.
Sideways Chica said…
My dear Kacey...of course I knew you would get a kick out of this one, and do a big splashy belly flop - if only in your mind's eye. I know that it's only a matter of time before you are up and around and attempting to Belly Flop in person! ;)

Take care chica...sideways chicas are not know to be the most patient creatures. Do give yourself time to heal, without trying to overdo it. ;)

So great to hear your voice again...have a wonderful week.
Anonymous said…
"Live, Laugh, Love" - children are the personification of that maxim, if we just let them be. There is nothing more pure and genuine than a small child's laughter.

Here's to children, belly flops, and hanging on to our young hearts, even as we get older!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Crazy Mama... Hear! Hear! And you don't sound crazy to me chica. ;)

Thanks for stopping by...and infusing us with a breath of fresh, gleeful air. My motto is always, "Live, laugh, love. In that order. Everything else, just throw out with the garbage." I think you are also a sideways chica.

Ciao bella...have a great week.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred