Whom's not on first...

I believe that English is one of the most difficult languages to learn for non-natives. It’s not because of the conjugation of the verbs. After all, Spanish has the subjunctive conjugation, such as, “If I were a rich woman.” It’s not the exceptions to the rules either, as in, “‘I’ before ‘e,’ except after ‘c’…and a host of other heinous examples that we don’t learn about in grammar school. And it’s not because of the different regional accents and nonstandard colloquialisms that are sprinkled in local dialects, state to state, and country to country. Do y’all get my drift? I ain’t aiming to confuse.

Why then, do I believe that we have a difficult language to learn? To begin with, to err is human, but to receive riches as an heir to a fortune is as divine as breathing clean, clear air on a sunny afternoon. Get it? Err, heir and air? And an “e” before “i” without a “c” in sight—or do I mean site? Whew…that was close. Should I close now and go about my business, like washing the clothes. Or shall I read a book, while sitting near a tall reed by the lake, a book that I’ve already read, like the book with the bright red cover on my nightstand, or the one that I won at the book fair while eating casual fare consisting of hot dogs and hamburgers? Perhaps I'll choose a new book by an author I once knew.

I could go on like this for hours, but I think I’ve made my point. I’ve also made myself dizzy. Plus, I have another point to make. Many foreigners try—they really try—to master the English language. For them, it’s not natural. For us, it is natural. Yet I am constantly chagrined at the way (or do I mean weigh?) the English language is battered about and butchered by those who know (or do I mean no?) better—or at least by (or do I mean buy?) those who should know better. I guess they just don’t no know better.

I understand southern drawls and I enjoy dinners that are suppers. I enjoy a Maine (or do I mean main?) accent now and then. What really gets my knickers in a twist is hearing or reading irreverent misuse of the English language. I could write regardless here (or do I mean hear?), but it’s irregardless that’s on my mind. This word has been misused so much that it’s now in the Webster’s Dictionary, albeit with a “nonstandard” usage notation. Some spell-checker software isn’t even programmed to correct this word. “Who” is here to stay and “whom” has gone by the wayside. Actually, I just misused “whom” to make my point, which brings me to another point. I recently read (or do I mean red?) that it’s better to say “who” all the time, rather than risk misusing “whom.” That’s rich. How about learning and teaching the proper usage of “whom,” and keeping it around. It’s not (or do I mean knot?) that difficult. Whom has an “m” which goes with “him.” If you can rework the sentence and “whom” can be (or do I mean bee?) replaced with “him,” then you have used “whom” correctly. If it takes a “he” to make the sentence work, then use “who.” Think about “To whom it may concern.” It concerns “him,” not “he.” And, of course, “he” goes with “she,” while “him” goes with “her.” Okay, who’s on first? Here’s a hint. It’s a he. Now I’m really dizzy and my head is starting to hurt.

Now I’m not so uptight with the English language to write or say, “Woe is I.” Only a pretentious ass would say, “Woe is I,” instead of “Woe is me.” However, there are certain things that set my antenna a buzzing. Perhaps it all started with an advertising slogan back in the 60s. Yes, I suppose I’m about to rant a bit about Madison Avenue again, but it’s been a long time since my last rant, so I figure I’m due—or due I mean do? Perhaps I shall just quit now, enjoy a frosty Mountain Dew, and cool off.

I can make it. I’m almost there, their or they’re. Madison Avenue, cigarettes…and a big billboard that boldy proclaimed, “Winston tastes good like a cigarette should,” may have fueled this current trend of “if enough people say it incorrectly, then let’s just make it okay to say it and write (or do I mean right?) it incorrectly? Why fix the mistake? Just modify the language and make another nonstandard exception to (or do I mean two?) the rule.

Pet peeves I do-due have a few…and I also have some-sum company. A friend of mine, who doesn’t work in a mine, takes exception to the misusage of quotation marks in speech. The problem is that this misusage has become the norm…the standard, not the nonstandard. We constantly hear-here people say, “Quote, unquote,” before they verbally quote something. It started out as “Quote, end quote.” Now the end quote has gone by the wayside, with whom not-knot far behind. Just recently, I saw a television commercial that used “Quote, unquote” in writing, which is much worse than using it in speech, because the “end quote” comes directly from the printing presses...to signify the end of a quote. I wonder if the creative mind who developed the copy wrote it correctly and then some editor came along and fixed what he or she thought was a typographical error, or worse, decided that the improper “Quote, unquote” was more appealing to the masses. Divine, just divine, as in, “To air is divine.” I guess one could say, “End quote don’t sound too-two good, like a manipulative sentence should.”

Either way (or do I mean weigh?), it’s (or do I mean its?) possible that none of this will matter in (or do I mean inn?) a few more years. There (or do I mean their?) might not be (or do I mean bee?) anyone left in America who remembers that irregardless is not (or do I mean knot?) a word, or that an end quote is an end quote. Many people worry about the loss of English as the primary language in our country. Wouldn’t it be ironic if some of the foreigners struggling—really struggling—to master the difficult English language actually save regardless, whom, and an end quote or two, too or to?

Now I’m no Hemingway or Dunne, but if it’s true that when the bell tolls, it tolls for thee, do me a favor. If y’all answer that their tolling bell, please—I beg of you—don’t say, “whom’s they’re.”

Now I’m off to-too-two read-reed a story about a turtle and a nice hair…or do I mean a mean and nasty hare?

Postscript: Check out all the ei words in this article. Perhaps I’ll start a campaign to eradicate irregardless, save whom, and toss out “I before e, except after c.” Oh well, a well can be a deep subject. I guess it’s neither here not there...or its either hear nor their. You can quote me on that, while you’re sipping Mountain Do from a can. And that’s a quote, end quote.

Comments

Sideways Chica said…
Hey there readers...yes, I know (or do I mean no?) this one (or do I mean won?) is a bit hard to read (or do-due I mean reed?) I guess that's my point, and I'm stickin' to it!

Ciao for now...
Kacey said…
Having been raised by a high school English teacher, I was served proper grammar every night with dinner. It became a passion for me, too, but I am in absolute disbelief at the television personalities who do not know the proper verb tenses --- and wouldn't know a subjunctive case verb if it bit them. Uh--- what do you mean gerund or a dangling participle? I think I met one a few weeks ago??? A couple of funny ones that my father espoused were; in a sports game, proper usage would be times out instead of time outs. Also, he strongly felt that proper usage would be somebody's else instead of somebody else's. I don't think we can change the tide of bad grammar, but should never allow ourselves to give into perverted usage just because it is becoming common. We need to educate the schools to teach the proper rules of English all through grade and high school. Words are beautiful and deserve to be used as intended. Ask anyone on the street what an adverb is or to name an objective pronoun and you will get a blank stare. But, as for me and my house, we will serve the King's English.
Sideways Chica said…
Oh my goodness Kacey...spot on again. It was a so-called local L.A. "broadcast journalist" who threw me into this rant. First it was her use of "irregardless," then it was her continual misuse of almost every verb tense in her not short enough 30-second voiceover. I must say though, her hair, makeup and clothing were absolute perfection. If that's not perversion, then I guess it's neither hear nor they're! ;)

Here-Hear to the King's English, and your very witty and savvy daddio.

Ciao bella...great to her your voice. I hope the headaches are subsiding. XO
Anonymous said…
Oh my, Teri! I love this one! You hit on one of my favorite subjects, too (to?). Their, there, they're... I quite often proofread term papers for fellow classmates, and I am appalled at the grammatical and spelling errors from college students. And my current (NOT currant - I'm no fruit) pet peeve is could of, would of, and should of. Sumwon should of taught thees heer studints abowt contracshuns. When you consider that "Nobody Doesn't Like Sara Lee", it isn't surprising about the language going down the tube - the boob tube.

Take care, chica, and have a gr8 weakind.
Sideways Chica said…
Oh my (not-so) Crazy Mama...I love it! Especially the Sara Lee reference. How could I fergit about dat?? Wood it a made a difrence?

As four the contraksions, maybe I could a made a point or two. Knot two worry, u did it four me chica. ;)

Ciao bella...have a gr8 week. C U back hear soon I hope.
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

You sure have my head a spinnin'. All I can say is that your sons are fortunate to have grown up with the likes of you- your influence regarding the use of the English language has surely served them well.

My own mother was pretty accurate- she even pronounced "white" with the "h" sound at the beginning. Who does that???? You probably do. (I just thought she was eccentric until I consulted Webster's.) However, she was known to go "lay" down for a nap!

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Ah my dear Betty...no, I don't pronounce the "h," but my husband does. Unfortunately, he also pronounces the "h" when saying "herbs," the kind you cook with. ;)

As for the "lay," issue, I'm honestly surprised I didn't mention this, as it is also a peeve of mine, as I always say "lie down," and have actually had people correct me, as if I were in the wrong. I think I gave up on this one long ago. Oh, well, irregardless.... ;)

Thanks for stopping in...and yes, I did try to instill in all the boys, husband included, the proper usage of, as Kacey says, the King's English.

Ciao bella..have a great week. XO
Sideways Chica said…
P.S. Betty...just thought of another one. I recently heard a newscaster say a man was "hung." At first, I wondered how she knew (he was "hung") and then I realized that she meant he was hanged (by the neck). ;)
Kacey said…
Gee Betty---if lie means to rest or recline and lay means to put or place, then taking it literally --- your mother would be incorrect. Except for conjugating the verbs--proper usage would be; (when resting)I lie down today, I lay down yesterday and I have lain down many times. And: (when putting something down)
I lay the book down today, I laid it down yesterday and I have laid it down many times.
Therefore; your mother could lay down if she did so yesterday.
It just gets curiouser and curiouser.
Thank you Teri! As a former teacher and all around person who hates when bad grammer is thrust upon us-I applaud your rant!!
My own DD would drive me bananas when she would start out saying "Me and --- wanted to go to ---"
Would send me into a mother's rant of my own, let alone the teacher/writer part of me!!!
Spicy said…
Teri,
No wonder Kacey is so darn good at trivia.
Love your post....reminds me somehow of the following Italian joke...

One day i go to New York to a bigga hotel. I go down to eat soma breakfast. I tella da waitress i wanna 2 piss toast. She bringa me only 1 piss. I tell her i wanna 2 piss. She say go to da toilet. I say she no understand. I wanna two piss on my plate. She sat u better no piss on the plate son of a bitch. I dont know the lady and she call me a son of a bitch.
Later i go to have soma lunch at Drake restuarant, the waitress bring me a spoon, a knife but no fock. I tella her i wanna fock. She tells me everybody wanna fock. I tella her she no understand, I wanna fock on the table. She say u better no fock on the table u son of a bitch. I dont even know her and she call me a son of a bitch.
So i go back to my room inna hotel , and there’s no sheet on my bed. I calla da manager and tella him i wanna sheet. He tella me go to da toilet. So i say u no understand, i wanna sheet on da bed. He say u better not shit on the bed u son of a bitch. I dont even know da man and he call me a son of a bitch.
I go to checkout and the man at the counter say peace on u. I say piss on u too u son of a bitch.
I go back to italy!!!

Have a great week!
Sideways Chica said…
My, my...I had no idea how entertaining (and enlightening) the comments would be when I decided to rant on about the continual decline of the English language in our little "piss" of da world! ;)

Kacey...can't believe you let my he's "hung" remark go by without a swipe, but I can only infer it was beneath you. As for Betty's mom, yes, she could have been right or wrong, depending upon when she "lay" down.

Carine...thanks so much for the endorsement. One of the problems with our language is the lack of caring teachers in our schools today.

Matty...I am still laughing. Peace on U chica. :)

Ciao bellas...and thank you for the wonderful entertainment and discussion.
Kacey said…
Yeah Teri, I actually let it pass once, but twice, ----No! So, on that note, I'll ask you if you heard about the plastic surgeon who hung himself?
Sideways Chica said…
Wow...I wonder Kacey, when he "hung" himself, did he get "hanged" up...or down?? ;)

Ciao bella...methinks you're feeling better, or at least I hope so!
Dust-bunny said…
Hi Teri,

Thanks for the lesson on "whom." I have had a time and a half getting back into this writing thing, and my biggie is comma usage and quotation marks. But as far as "irregardless" goes, well...all of us Lon-GUY-landers say that. It's a regional thing, I think. I'll try to be more careful from now on!

And as for embarrassing...my daughter recently opened up a student account at a prominent bank. She received a thank-you note from the girl who helped her which read: "Dear Kayla, thank you for CHOOSEN C******* Bank." My daughter laughed her arse off. I was just mortified.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Lisa...priceless chica. I know plenty of people that say irregardless, and yes, I think it is regional. As for that letter, thanks for "chosen" to tell me. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Reach said…
Teri,
I've always thought it was "I before 'E', except after, See!" Also, you presented many new thoughts, I never knew- thank you.

Would "no know" be considered a double negative? And, if so, would that be a "no-no"?

I no know!

I hope all is well on the home front, and the water level is high in your well- if you will.

Be Safe,

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...so good to hear your voice! Hope all is "well" in your "well" too (or to-two). ;)

I post when I can and have little or no time to blog around, but all is definitely "well" on the home front. Back at you my friend.

Ciao for now...and have a great week.
BWP said…
I work in a secondary school with kids who struggle .... were where we ... oh yes the Queen's English (if you please*wink*)The only problem is that I sea the rong spelins sooooo much I don't always c them lol

Thanks for the laugh :o)
Dust-bunny said…
Just popping in to wish you a happy Thanksgiving, Teri! I miss your stories and hope all is well.

(this is Lisa from "Comforter...")
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Willow...we all do, and spellchecker is not our friend when it comes to this. Unfortunately our younger generations rely on spellchecker, calculators and increasingly, their thumbs. Alas, I fear the King's English shall go by the wayside...or do I mean weighside. ;)

CIao bella...enjoy.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear dust-bunny (comforter)...hey there chica! Yes, all is well, I am just refocusing my energies due to some other priorities in my life right now. I will return soon, I promise.

Ciao bella...enjoy the day, and may your Turkey be wonderful. Thanks for checking on me. ;)
What Lisa said, double it Teri,
btw-could you pm me? our computers went belly-up, all is better, but nothing saved! It's on a disc, but alas, we don't seem to be able to open it.
Hi Teri,

Looks like I'm not the only one who has been pulled away from the blog by life ... or maybe you're off on another spot I don't know about. In any case, I'm just visiting a few online friends tonight after too long away. I hope you and yours are well!

Andrew
Reach said…
Hi Teri,
I'm just over to check up after adding a new post. Funny- its about refocusing.

Be Safe, and my thoughts are with you and the 'men' in your life.

Reach
Kacey said…
I'm still missing you terribly. Your muse inspired me and it is so quiet in blogityville without you.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Andrew, Reach and Kacey...back at you all. And to all my readers who await patiently my return to Bloggityville, as Kacey says, thank you and I will come back, and I miss you all and wish you all the best for the coming year. Enjoy the Holidays.

Ciao bellas...
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...I hope all of your computer techno problems are worked out for the better. I didn't see your comment until recently. Sorry...and I will touch base after the first. Enjoy the season and thanks for hanging in there for me.

Ciao bella...
Kacey said…
Hope you had a Merry Christmas and are having a Happy New Year, Chicklette! Oh, no--- I meant Chica!
Me said…
Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy 2008. Enjoy!
Tamarai said…
Hey Terry I know I haven't been on the blogging scene much lately, but I thought I'd just stop by and wish you a happy New Year for 2008.
Kacey said…
Hi You Cute, Sideways Chica! I saw a suspicious site on my Feedjit this morning. Thought you might check out this post of mine:

http://cookiesoven.blogspot.com/2007/12/i-love-my-computer.html

Anyway, check out what Betty said about you --- looks like lots of people miss our favorite Chica.
Hope you are better than okay!
Sideways Chica said…
Yes dear Kacey, you caught me you smart chica! I wanted to check and make sure you are doing well. I have remained on "silent" mode for too long now, but soon I will emerge. I still have something to send you, but am waiting for something else to include in the package. As for my precious Betty--I visited her last night and caught up on her musings. I love and miss you all...and hope you are having a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. ;)

Ciao for now...

T.
galaxysurfer said…
Hi Sideways Chica!

This is the first blog I've ever read all the way through! Excellent!
For Myself, I really hate it when English/British people can't tell the difference betwixt the words 'To' & 'Too', or, (even worse), 'lose' and 'Loose', ( I see this all too often, unfortunately), and we pretty much invented the language for goodness sakes!

BTW, although your Husband pronounces the 'H' (or 'aitch, if you will), as in 'Herbs', (and not as in 'Urbs'), we English pronounce it that way too, in fact, we often think the Americans are just being, er, pretentious asses (or worse..pretending to be French), in saying it this way!
(I'm joking, of course)!

However, irregardless (!) of that, it IS believed to be the way the English USED to pronounce it...so I'm afraid you're both right!

BTW; here's another tip for Americans everywhere; OUR words, (in England and throughout the British Isles), that end in 'borough', should be pronounced 'burra' and not as 'Boro', (as in the cigarettes), this is the same for places like 'Edinburgh', Scotland.
Therefore 'Edinboro' (Edinburgh) becomes 'Edinburra' and Marlboro (Marlborough), becomes 'Marlburra', and therefore Loughborough is pronounced 'Loffburra' (OK, so maybe that last one was just a tad too far for you all today, come back tomorrow for another lesson)! :-)
We, however, don't need tips on how to pronounce 'Americanese'. That's because we are being constantly bombarded with all-things-American, such as TV, Films & Fast-food 'joints' etc etc, (not to mention your Presidential Elections, which actually get more coverage over here, than our own...no, really!), that most of us can already do a 'passable' American accent, accompanied by the many strange words you all use (like 'Normalcy', where we say 'Normality')!

Now, being English myself, I have the perfect excuse NOT to use the QUEEN'S English correctly, (& 'No', I ain't related to the Queen, and 'No', I didn't got to Oxford or Cambridge Universities...which would help to explain my bad Engleesh... and gramma)!
''How so?'' I hear you ask, well, ,just 'coz we're English and we invented it, therefore, we can change it, or use it how we will! (I'm gonna get shot for that..er, probably)!
And, wud it b reely bad if the langwage DID chaynj in the fewcha? Yewd orl stil b abl to un-dest-and it, no? :-)

Seriously though, just thought I'd write and tell you what a great blog you have
... and, er, please forgive MY English!

PS Oh!, and, er, this might NOT be the correct place to post this (haha, sorry! ) but one of your 'favourite' musicians is 'John Couger' or 'John Couger Mellencamp'... are these two in any way at all related to the famous 'John CougAr Mellencamp', (whom also happens to be one of MY fave artistes)?!

Just thought I'd ask. *winks* :-)

Laters! X

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred