Love thy neighbor...


What should we do when someone wears out their welcome? A friend of mine is currently struggling with a space invader. He has a friend who loves to stop by unannounced. This used to be an occasional occurrence, but lately it’s become a daily habit. My friend is threatening to develop a nasty habit himself — rudeness. He’s dropped subtle hints, then not-so-subtle hints. Neither has worked. It’s not like he can hide from this friend — he lives right next door.

I suggested he just be direct and tell the neighbor he needs some time for himself. This provoked a laugh. I guess some guys have a hard time telling other guys to go away. Next, I suggested that he put a “closed” sign on his door when he doesn’t feel like having company. He thought about this for a moment, but then decided his neighbor would think it was a joke. He also explained that just because he doesn’t want this guy over every day, it doesn’t mean that others aren’t welcome. Poor guy. His girlfriend is way beyond irritated with the situation.

One day, as my friend was complaining once again about his neighbor, I recalled my own experience with an overly friendly and intrusive neighbor. It was many years ago and I lived in a different hood, but my face still turned red as I remembered far too many details that I had tried hard to forget. This was one piece of trash I thought I had left at the curb a long time ago. Apparently, it made it into the recycle bin by mistake. Somewhat alarmed at my flushed appearance, my friend asked if I were okay.  I told him that I might have a solution to his problem.

It's important to note that I love where I live now. I always say that my current home is worth a lot more than market value because of my neighbor — my wonderful, beautiful, considerate, respectful, and genuinely nice neighbor who always calls first before she comes over. My husband and I live on a corner lot with only one house next to us. There are no houses across the street or directly below us. In fact, there are only 89 homes in the entire community. This isn’t by accident. We purposely sought out a home that afforded as much privacy as possible. Why? No deep, dark secrets here. We were scarred survivors of the know no boundaries neighbor syndrome. We swore that we would never fall into that quagmire again.

Let’s get back to my old hood so I can throw this away once and for all. We met our overly friendly neighbor two weeks before we moved into the house. At first, we were delighted with how friendly he was. After two years we had another opinion which we kept to ourselves. Not good. We didn’t share our thoughts with each other or our friendly neighbor for way too long. The first year was fine. We were friendly, but not too friendly. About a year and a half after we moved into this house, the wife of this friendly guy started working further away from home. She quickly tired of her five hour daily commute and during the week began staying with a friend that lived near her office. Her husband (truly a nice guy in smaller doses) found himself with a lot of free time on his hands. He was lonely. He loved to cook and invited us over often. This was nice, hospitable, neighborly and enjoyable in the beginning. We also reciprocated in kind. Oh what a tangled web we wove. After a few short months, I felt as if we were joined at the hip. It became awkward if my husband and I wanted to dine alone, as this neighbor would look over the fence and see that our grill was warming up. He’d call out to keep the coals going and that he was on his way to throw his steak on with ours. All too soon he progressed to the come on over unnannounced stage. I see now that this is where we should have nipped this friendly neighbor in the bud. Alas, we did not. Eventually, our friendly, great-guy neighbor bypassed knocking on our front door or ringing the bell. He would saunter around to our backyard with drink in hand, come in through the sliding glass door uninvited and sit down and make himself comfortable. The more comfortable he was in our home, the more uncomfortable I was.  I yearned for some privacy. I also longed for some alone time with my husband. Unfortunately, I never expressed this to anyone. I let it go because I was working long hours and was rarely home. I thought the neighbor provided my husband with some welcome company while I was off dealing with one deadline or another. I felt selfish resenting the nightly intrusion.

While I was busy not communicating with my husband about this issue, he was busy not communicating with me. He didn’t have any particular reason for not communicating with me, other than he’s just your average guy when it comes to expressing himself — especially if it might lead to confrontation. Bottom line: My husband was even more miserable with the situation than I was. He missed his space and just wanted to lie around on the sofa once-in-awhile doing whatever guys do when they lie around. He also missed our alone time. I found out later that our friendly neighbor had started running out to greet my husband as he pulled into the driveway each evening after work. Poor guy couldn’t even get out of his truck before he had company for the night.

involved nudity. Mine. One Saturday morning after I showered,  I realized that the clothes I wanted to wear were downstairs in the laundry room. I was alone in the house so I decided to dash downstairs to get them. Did I mention that my robe was also in the laundry room? I thought no one was at home for goodness sake. I remember feeling a little thrill as I ran down the stairs, however momentary...and it was momentary. Yep, you know where this is going. It seems that I wasn’t alone. That’s right. The neighbor was coming in through the sliding glass door at the same moment I reached the bottom of the stairs...and a nanosecond later my husband came into the house through the garage. I was stuck in the middle. Talk about an awkward threesome. As I frantically ran for cover, my up-to-this point patient husband finally started communicating

— at the top of his lungs. I don’t know if it was my embarrassment that set him off or his predictable male thought process telling him that if not for the neighbor’s untimely intrusion, he might have been able to capitalize on situation, but as I ran up the stairs I heard him yell something about using the front door, calling first or at least knocking. I also remember thinking that his two’s company and three’s a crowd remark was pretty harsh. I was not about to but in though — bad pun intended.

It seems that our reluctance to deal with our overly friendly, drop in anytime neighbor really paid off. We ended up with a very unfriendly and resentful neighbor. He was truly offended and from that day forward refused to look at me or my husband ever again. This was fine with me, as I was still embarrassed about our too close for comfort Saturday morning ménage a trois — which in French literally means “household of three.” Wow. I bet you were thinking I meant something else entirely.

Finally, if you're wondering how my story could possibly help my friend with his intrusive neighbor problem, it's simple. I told him to do what we did. Move.



Dedicated to all those suffering from the “know no boundaries” neighbor syndrome. "Knock-knock. Who's there? Your neighbor. Your neighbor who? Your neighbor who never knocks silly!"
© 2006 Teresa G. Franta 

Comments

I guess we're lucky! Most of our neighbors work and have no time for us, who also work outside the home. I never minded when the kids were young and had their friends over. figured at least I knew where they were and whom they were with.
I can relate to the "alone" thing. We're the ones who wave politely and then drive into the garage and shut the bloomin' door behind us.
One neighbor suggested we have a "play date" for our dogs. Sunshine can't stand this yappy little daschund. It hasn't been trained and yaps up a storm. That is what bugs me!
I wanted to write outside last weekend, there was that yappy dog bothering both Sunshine and me-wound up going in to work.
But I'd rather have the yappy dog than an intrusive neighbor.
Leann said…
Ours was not so much neighbors but people (person) who would come to visit and not know when to leave. Getting ready for bed and in the pj's didn't seem to click. Finally had to literally tell them to leave. Very ackward. Good manners (I would think) would dictate you leave at a reasonable hour.
Kacey said…
I remember this one! Nothing like a little em barr ass ment to kill a friendship. Moving was pure brilliance. I would expect nothing less from our "Sideways Chica".
I am back in Ohio for a sudden health problem --- will try to get an e-mail off to you soon.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...yes, boundaries are important, especially when it comes to our pets. We used to have a wonderful parrot and everyone wanted to play with him. I knew that it wasn't prudent, and tried to keep outsiders away from him, but some people wouldn't take "NO" for an answer. So...they weren't invited over. I guess you can say that we shut the "bloomin'" door. ;)

Ciao for now...and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...it was your dilemma, well actually, my good friend's dilemma with a "come unannounced and stay forever" nutter that inspired this article. I couldn't help but relate her situation with my past...should I say "indiscretion?" ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...clever as usual, and I love it. Please email and let me know what's going on with you and the hubby. I have been working round the clock for several weeks and am just coming up for a bit of air.

Big hugs chica...email...
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

I've never had such a bold neighbor as the one you've described, thank heavens, but I have almost moved for lesser reasons.

My current neighbors (I only have one neighboring house also) only live here 5 months each year, so their incessant gabbing has been borderline tolerable. They're aging, also. She tends to shut herself up in the house with depression, and he has been battling some sort of low testosterone issue, which saps his energy. They keep to themselves more and more. Oddly, I miss their chattering.

Also, I can't move now, at least not until my job situation stabilizes, and that could be many months from now at best. Too bad, because a nice big Victorian for sale in my coveted downtown neighborhood has just been drastically reduced in price. I am tortured.

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...I hear you, and raise you, on all points. The tolerance, the torture, and the mixed emotions.

Hang on tight. I like to think the ride, however bumpy, is always worth it in the end. Self justification, in my book, is always good for the soul, or at least those around us. Therefore, I like to look forward and imagine the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. In your case,it's that Victorian in your future. Some day you will get there, because if you want something that badly it will surely come to pass. One can only hope that when it does, it fulfills our desires and has that new car smell we expect.

Ciao bella...I hope the chatterers start chattering a bit in your hood. Sometimes we don't miss something until it's gone. Notice I said "a bit."

X
Reach said…
Hello Teri,
I don't think this story belongs on the curb, as it will always be in thought when boundaries are the topic.

Good advice to your current friend. For only a moment I was hoping you would not recommend...well, nudity would be involved.

Be Safe,

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...good to hear from you. You're as funny and entertaining as ever...I assume you are talking about the trash man cometh and the trash man taketh away. Speaking of which, I do have some other things to haul out to that proverbial "curb."

Hope all is well for you and yours. I seem to always be on deadline for something. Can't complain, as it's hard work if you can get it! ;)

Ciao my friend. Be well.
Reach said…
Just checking the progress of a busy woman.

Be Safe,

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Hey there Reach...I don't really understand the meaning of progress these days, but I do understand one foot in front of the other. ;)

Hope all is well in your neck 'o the world. We have no complaints...and consider ourselves very fortunate. Thanks for checking in with me...always good to "hear" your voice.

Teri
I talked once with a guy who delivered storage sheds for a living. He went back to one property 6 times, the last time to move he shed 6 inches. Every time was due to the boundary dispute between neighbors, and every time each neighbor had a lawyer present. Since then I've been more thankful for my neighbors!
Sideways Chica said…
Good to hear from you Andrew...neighbors, can't live with 'em and can't live without them...or can we? I think not!
Dust-bunny said…
Are you still blogging? I'm thinking of re-entering the blogging world...hope all is well!

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred