That’s what it’s all about!

So often now, I find myself giving advice to many people. This worries me, as I never want to lead someone down the wrong path. We all live in glass houses, so I am careful with my advice or criticism. Generally, the type of advice I give involves thinking exercises — little drills to help lead the horse to the water that he (or she) has already been looking for in the dark and with blinders on. I just try to get the horse to take off the blinders and turn on the lights. Whether the horse drinks the water or not is another story. Sometimes I suggest the hat exercise from my article Hat trick anyone?, or I encourage friends to make their own top twenty list, as described in 'Til death do us part... . Mostly though, I encourage friends and loved ones to let go of the past, seize the moment, and embrace the future.

Recently, an older friend reached out and shared her frustration (or rather, misery) with the current state of her life...and her future, or lack thereof. She readily admitted that she has much to be grateful for and that she shouldn’t complain. It’s easy to agree with this last statement, as she is a young, healthy “senior citizen,” who will never have to worry about a roof over her head or a hot meal — or medical treatment if necessary. Nonetheless, she is miserable and depressed. The more she tries to embrace her good fortune and deny her frustrations, the more miserable she becomes.

Why is this woman, who has so few worries, miserable? Simple — she no longer knows who she is or where she belongs in society. Sure, she’s a mother and a grandmother, but she’s a mother and grandmother who’s recently been moved to a senior living community that houses many of our elderly (and infirm) citizens. This friend may be older, but she’s not that old — and she’s definitely not infirm. Are there other “young” and healthy seniors like her living in this community? If you listen to her, no way. If you take a more objective approach, yes there are others living in her hood that are younger and healthier, as she is. She lives in a wooded area and I think that the trees are obstructing her view. She can’t bring herself to look beyond some of the surface issues that remind her daily of her now “not-so-distant,” or appealing, future. The future she can’t embrace is her own mortality. The more she sees others starting to decline in health, the less she can envision a bright, fulfilling future for herself. She worries that when she can no longer wash the dishes and run the vacuum cleaner for her daughter that she won’t be invited over — even though her daughter doesn’t expect her do these chores. She worries about getting too old to baby-sit her grandchildren; she worries that one day she won’t be able to drive. She worries that she is no longer needed, no longer useful, and has been put out to pasture to...well, you get my point. She never worried about these issues until six months ago, which was when her daughter generously bought her a condo in this senior community.

Just writing this makes me uncomfortable. I feel as if I am somehow insulting (or making light) of people who are elderly, ill or handicapped. I am most definitely not, however I do understand this healthy 65-year-old woman’s dilemma. She is a single, widowed chica who thinks she’s been put out to pasture. Her daughter only wished to make her comfortable and provide her with a safe haven to live out her remaining years. Herein lies the problem. Until now, this friend never thought of her life, or her future, in terms of her remaining years. I believe the finite implication this term invokes has thrown her into an uncomfortable and dangerous holding pattern. She can’t let go of the past, nor can she enjoy the present or step toward her future without fear and trepidation.

Think about this…if we’re healthy, and briskly walk three miles every morning (like my friend), how comfortable is it to walk daily on the same path as people exercising with oxygen tanks, or being pushed in wheelchairs? If, like my friend, we don't need to, how would we feel about living in a home that has handicap-fitted toilets, special railings and bars...and ramps and lowered cabinets to accommodate wheelchairs? Sure, tomorrow may bring us a wheelchair — or some other medical condition — and tomorrow we will certainly be older than we were yesterday. So, is it better to be prepared (like the Boy Scouts) and live in a home that is a constant reminder of what we may have to look forward to in our remaining years? Hmmm? When it’s put that way, I have to say that I see this woman’s point, and I raise her a few. I also admit (and she knows that it's true) that my friend really hasn’t given her new (old) community a fair chance.

After this friend reluctantly shared her feelings about her current living situation, another friend (Su-Z-Q) and I sat her down and talked with her for over an hour. We tried to convince her that she was still young, still useful, and still needed. We also tried to convince her that she had a lot of living left to do — and that she could do her living anywhere, so long as she remembered who she was on the inside. Oh, we sounded so reasonable...so smart, so young and hopeful. I suggested she do the hat exercise, and then make her top twenty list. Sounded great...in theory. Problem was, no matter how they sounded to others, I felt my words rang false. I knew this woman would never be happy living where she was, until she needed to live where she was — and no one knows when that day will arrive. I also fear that living in this senior community, with her current mindset, might speed up the inevitable processing of her remaining years.

After our miserable-feeling friend left, Su-Z-Q said how wonderful my advice was, how I really made this friend think...and that perhaps she would now see her community in a new light. Alas, I did not agree.

As it was now after five o’clock (at least it was somewhere), Su-Z-Q refreshed our drinks and we moved on from our afternoon iced tea to something a bit stronger. It was after the first drink that I had an epiphany. If our older friend can’t see the young sucklings in her community for all the old trees in her woods, then we would take some very visible young sucklings to her doorstep. Us. We would have a party — we would play bingo, do the hokey-pokey, the limbo and pin the tail on the whatever. We would have party hats, loud music, cocktails and we would bring some life and laughter to this friend’s new (old) home. In honor of this idea, my friend and I got up and started doing the hokey-pokey (blame the cocktails). It was then that our husbands walked in from playing golf. Su-Z-Q and I didn’t miss a beat...we moved on from the hokey pokey, to the limbo, to singing “This old man... .” We sang and danced to every youthful game or song we could remember. Sure, I realize now that this was a defense mechanism. Our older friend’s plight got under our skin. We were trying to exfoliate ourselves before we thought too much about our own remaining years. As our guys stood back grinning (and shaking their heads), Su-Z-Q and I put our right feet in and our right feet out, we did the hokey pokey and we turned ourselves around. No doubt, our husbands thought we were the ones ready for a home.

Planning for this party is in full swing. Our friend is excited. We’re going to hire a DJ and rock the night away. We’ll have our cake and eat it too. If the party gets too big and too noisy, someone might complain. They might even call the police. Our friend might even get a warning notice put in her file by management. If so, maybe we’ll have another party; it’s three strikes and your out, according to her CC&Rs. Yes, we’ll have a ball...but the three strikes is tempting. We could “throw the game.” Wow. Then my friend’s daughter might have to sell the condo (at a nice profit) and help her mom move somewhere else with a better, more youthful, view of the woods. That would be terrible...wouldn’t it?

Yes, of course I exaggerate to make my point. Our true goal is to lure some of the younger hip seniors (hiding out in the dense woods of this community) into joining our party. If they see how much fun we're having, they may join us. You never know, they may put their right feet in and their right feet out...and our friend will meet some new (old) friends that still enjoy the hokey pokey and want to turn themselves around. That’s what it’s all about!

“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” — Abraham Lincoln

Dedicated to Babs...give it another chance chica. Let’s have a ball and take it from there. If not...then it’s one...two...three strikes you’re out at the (not so) old ball game!

© 2006 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Debbie said…
ok so I am there, sounds like more fun then some of my "younger" group have!! Rock the house and find the fellow party'ers. Have a blast!!!!
Anonymous said…
I hope your party goes over swimmingly and serves as a reminder that life is still a journey in progress...no matter WHAT age! :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...you're in! Did I hear somebody say Limbo?

Ciao chica...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nicole...Indeed! Here's to a journey in progress...no matter what age!

Ciao bella...Enjoy!
I just had an experience with convalescent homes (my youngest uncle at 60y/o) died). Long story short, before the end he was briefly in this home and I had to go to pick up his things. It was possibly the most depressing place I have ever seen, even worse than the hospital in some ways - and it was a nice one.

OTOH, some of the communities are really nice. I discussed with some of my gal pals the idea that we would all congregate on the same block someday and move along the line to further care accordingly.

Facing mortality has been a big issue in my life lately. Uncle died, SIL's mom died this morning, friend in a coma after falling off a scaffold last Friday. Aging sound pretty good to me right now.

Hope it's a great party.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Juliemora...I like the "block" idea. I'm going to mention this to my chicas! We also repeated the hokey pokey on the 4th, and got a dear older gentleman to put his feet into the fun also.

I think given the alternative that aging is more appealing. I hope to do it gracefully. Is it time I give up my Diesel jeans yet? Guess that will be another article. Perhaps I could call it "Some should, some shouldn't!"

I am sorry for all your recent losses - I send you my best wishes, and I hope your friend who fell comes back to you soon.

Ciao bella...thanks for the wise words. Have a great week.
fjl said…
'Generally, the type of advice I give involves thinking exercises — little drills to help lead the horse to the water that he (or she) has already been looking for in the dark and with blinders on. I just try to get the horse to take off the blinders and turn on the lights. Whether the horse drinks the water or not is another story.'

Super example. x
Angel said…
Poor Babs__

Send her my best from the east coast where it is miserably hot and humid if she isn't aware.

It's times like this that I wonder what my prob with CA is again?

I should find out in the next 2 weeks when my trip out there will be and I'll keep you posted~~

Remember me?, Dawn
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...thank you chica. I struggled with how to express this, so your comment is "super" special to me.

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Angel (of the Dawn)...of course I remember you...Geoffreys anyone?!

Interesting comment about East Coast. Babs is from Rhode Island!

Send me your travel dates chica. I am traveling a bit in August...and I want to be sure to catch up with you and the boy wonder!

Ciao Chica...have a great week. Stay cool!
Chris said…
This is something that's been on my mind lately. We're moving my grandmother into a seniors' center tomorrow, and she wasn't very happy about it at first. And she's old enough to be your friend'd mother. But, my grandmother definitely needs to be there, she can't live on her own anymore. Once she had a good look around the place and got to talk to some of the other people, she got very excited about moving in.

Once again, a post that is very relevant to my current circumstances. How do you keep doing that, LLS? ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris (LLB)...As I wrote this I relived my experience with my mother-in-law, and the different moves she made in her last 7-years. She lived in her home on her own until past ninety due to her excellent health and extreme independence. As her health and circumstances changed other moves were necessary. After the first move, she dreaded the next move, then once she was moved and settled into the new place, she liked it for awhile. Each time we moved her we had to wait until it was absolutely necessary to move her, as she was so wonderfully strong-willed. I will be forever grateful that in the end she was exactly where she wanted and needed to be. There is an excellent book, titled "Tending Rose," that every child of an elderly parent should read. It was actually written by "Rose's" granddaughter. It helped my husband and I greatly to understand and respect the feelings that the elderly have as they tend to loose control over certain portions of their lives, and as their children try to take over as the parent (or authority) figure. It is a tough and sensitive process for both the parent and the children. I found it interesting that in the book, it was the grandchild that found the voice of reason and the common ground.

Good luck with your situation. I know you will be sensitive, caring and wise.

Ciao dude...enjoy the weekend with the family.
Anonymous said…
As usual, Teri, you handle a sensitive subject with wonderful grace and dignity. Environmental depression can be tough to overcome. For anyone of any age. I hope your party is a smashing success and will help your friend figure out how she feels about her new home.

I saw a T-shirt once that said, "Maybe the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about". If that's the case, I'd like to put my whole self in, no matter where I'm living.

Have a lovely weekend, Teri.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Rayn...what a wonderful comment, such wise and compelling words. Yes, I couldn't find the term, but as usual, you have sharpened my point: Environmental depression is exactly what my friend has, and regardless of what she has to be thankful for, this is bogging her down.

I need to find that T-shirt chica. Here's to putting our whole selves in ... that's what it's all about.

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Kacey said…
Dear Teri, I don't think that you are old enough to understand the workings of a 65 year old mind. The things you describe come to the older person suddenly at 65 and niggle away at your brain. Here is my blog from a year and a half ago. It might give you insight into the mind of people who think---The Party's over!

Tuesday, January 25, 2005
Twenty Somethings

WE watched FOX's "Dayside" today. They were talking about twenty-somethings who have working-world confusion and do not want to leave home or go into a lesser lifestyle. Do the people who decide how these programs are formatted not know that the same identity confusion lies at the other end of the working world? We awaken every day with a lack of purpose and a debilitating sense of ennui. At one time in our lives, we had a sense of importance and validation for taking up space with our bit of protoplasm. Surely, there is more after work is done. Our hearts hurt when we look into the mirror and see an older person and realize that there is no going back --- only forward into an unknown abyss. I don't think most people question their lives on a daily basis. They get up and live --- and then go to bed again. We, on the other hand, scrape each other raw with the desperate searching for something to do with the tiny bit of life that is left to us. We don't want to waste it, but in perusing the "great American dream", we lose sight of where we were heading fifty years ago. A lady of great beauty and grace has just stopped by and we talked of life, love, marriage and spirituality. I am left wishing I had her serenity and adaptability. Eva,--- God loves you and so do I. My thinking on old age will surely evolve as we are led along the way this spring. We will be back in Ohio, where regeneration of life is more visible than it is in Florida.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kacey...how right you are. We can never understand the thinking of another, unless we walk in their shoes...identically aged shoes no less.

Thank you for sharing your profound words...the following I can say about you chica, if I might borrow your own words for a moment.

"A lady of great beauty and grace has just stopped by and we talked of life, love, marriage and spirituality. I am left wishing I had her serenity and adaptability."

Ciao bella...thank you very much for sharing. ;)
Reach said…
Hi Teri,
I can relate to your friend's, mother's, views as I have had numerous family members in those homes. Through their experiences, and a fellow AF member, who was placed there for temporary surgical convalescing, I have learned that growing old is directly related to our imagination. When we lose our child-like creative mind, the body will follow.
As for my friend, he is out now and back in service; however, during his visit, he was the nightmare for the staff. On one night, he organized the other residents into a food strike at dinner time. It appeared all the guests wanted Chinese Take-Out in the stead of meatloaf, as he continued to remind the others aproximately every 2 minutes.
Needless to say, the staff ordered Take-out for 60.
The lesson, the residents more loved the strike participation with their chanting and "marching" than the objective Take-Out dinner.

Imagination is the fluid we drink, from the Fountain of Youth.

Reach
Reach said…
PS
thank you for helping remind me. I think my next post will be on my final statement of my previous comment.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...what a wonderful story. I love it! A rebel with a cause...or just a rebel!

I look forward to reading your next post. By the way, tell your friend that meatloaf was never a favorite of mine either. I guess you can call me a rebel too. ;)

Ciao buddy...have a great weekend!
Shankari said…
Right foot in and right foot out: Way to go! :)))
Anonymous said…
Teri, loved this one, as usual.
Hopefully you see this!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Shankari...are you joining in the fun and doing the hokey pokey? I hope so...let's turn ourselves around!

Ciao bella...enjoy, because that's what it's all about!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...yeah! you figured out how to leave a comment. Good for you chica. Thanks for the kind words!

Ciao bella...have a great week!
Ballpoint Wren said…
After helping care for a 92-year-old lady who insisted on staying in her home until the end, I promised myself I would check myself into an assisted living place before I needed it. But now that I read this I wonder if I would be able to handle it.

And when would I do it? Like you say, "no one knows when that day will arrive."

But you are absolutely right about the party! A loud, noisy party where people do the Hokey Pokey... if she doesn't find a few other like-minded souls, then she really should get out of there!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Blue Heron...your "Mucca" sounds a lot like my "Marvel." We had to wait until each move was absolutely necessary. As I suggested to Chris, maybe you should read "Tending Rose" also.

Glad you made your list chica...I think your "Mucca" will be very pleased! It also sounds as if they still enjoy the hokey pokey. Vegas anyone?!

Ciao bella...take care and have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...Kacey is right. We can't really understand (or know what we will want) till we're there...and who knows when that day will arrive. I bet you learned a lot from your 92-year old friend.

Glad you're joining the loud party...don't forget the Limbo!

Here's to finding some like-minded souls, not just for my older friend, but for all of us!

Ciao chica...have a "swimmingly" good weekend!
Leann said…
Teri,

I hope your wonderful party brings out some of the more social whipper snappers and shows your friend a terrifically good time. Mindset is definetly one of the keys to staying young....so keep on doing the hokey pokey and limbo......my mind runs riot with images :-)
Reach said…
Teri,
I think I am back.....

Hope your weekend is going well.

Reach
Sideways Chica said…
Dear LeAnn...as it should run...your mind running riot, of course!

We're off to find those whipper snappers and change a mindset or two - thanks for joining us!

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...yes, I think you're back. Welcome!

Busy weekend...but Monday will still come too soon. Hope yours is going well.

Ciao buddy...enjoy the clarity!
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

I really like to take the time savor your posts, so I postponed reading this until now that the hectic weekend is coming to a close. Reading your post is my reward for making it through the week.

This topic is one that I've given a lot of thought to. I will never forget an elderly woman, Kay, whom I met in my current neighborhood. She was a charming, endearing woman who loved to tell stories of raising her family in their house on the rose garden, a few doors down from my house.

Kay was distraught because her daughter had decided that Kay should not be allowed to remain in her beloved house on the park. She forced Kay, kicking and screaming, out of the house and into a "home." I had told Kay that she'd always be welcome to stay with me if she ever wanted to visit the rose garden. But I knew I'd never see her again.

Sure enough, we neighbors heard a few months later that Kay had died, and I know it was from a broken heart.

I still see her face, wide-eyed and childlike, telling me about the year that the roses were "as big as dinnerplates!"

Unfortunately, I have heard other stories all too similar to Kay's.

I believe that our surroundings are tremendously important. I know a man who has been battling cancer. I noticed that every evening he sits outside of his garage with his chair facing the sign on the building across the narrow street. The sign reads, "Cancer Clinic." Did the constant presence of that sign cause his affliction? We can't be sure, but I wouldn't live in that house!

The decision has already been made for your friend, but your brilliant party idea will either change her experience there by drawing fellow resident partiers or get her kicked out. Good thinking, Teri!

Hugs and Hurrahs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Betty...I bet you were cherished by your darling "Kay." I would have loved to see (and hear about) the dinnerplate-sized roses.

Environmental depression is the term I have learned this week. Sure, I had heard it before, but, for some reason, I didn't apply it in this case.

Thank you so much for weighing in on this subject...as always, you have such a compelling point, and you make it so well, so thoughtfully. Thank you also for such kind words.

Ciao bella...hugs to you and the child. Enjoy!
Kelly said…
This post brings to mind one of the many mottos that I try to live by:
"You can live life dying~~ Or die living."
I'm glad your friend appears to be one who will go for the latter~~even if it means having co-horts like you and yours ;)leading her astray. LOL I'd love to hear that call coming into the police precinct~~ WILD PARTY AT OLD FOLKS HAVEN!! My Goodness.;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Kelly...I too prefer to "die living." But you already know this, don't you? ;)

I bet we find some of her old-young neighbors who will no doubt out hokey pokey us whipper snappers. After all, they should have a lot more experience partying than we do.

Ciao bella...glad you stopped by. Seems odd...I think about visiting your site, and then I remember it's gone. Glad you're not (gone, that is!)
Big Dave T said…
I believe it's why so many senior citizens prefer to stay in their homes even when they'd be much better off in a community such as the one described. My grandmother is 93 and lives in the same home where she's resided for the last 60 or better. No chance of talking her into going elsewhere.

Good luck with the party. That sounds like a novel and promising idea to me.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Dave...I agree. I've heard that when you're a "couple" the transition is a bit easier. By best to your grandmother.


Ciao dude...have a great week.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred