Girls' rules

Sometimes, when playing with girls, the rules are different. Take, for instance, the game of golf. When a friendly wager enters the competition, the stakes are often different and so are the rules. You might say that it’s a completely different ball game when you play with the girls.

Recently, I played a round of golf with a good friend. She and I decided to play skins. For those of you not familiar with skins, the basic principal is that the person with the lowest score on each hole wins the amount wagered (the skin) on the hole. We bet a dollar a hole. A basic rule I’ve always adhered to while playing skins is “one tie all tie.” Meaning if more than one person gets the lowest score (a tie) on a hole, then everyone playing moves on to the next hole and the wager, or skin, for the tied hole (or holes) carries over to the new hole. Whoever wins the new hole gets the skin for new hole and any skins from any preceding tied holes. It’s actually pretty simple…or at least I thought it was.

Not on this day. I walked away from the fifth hole happily thinking I was a buck ahead of my friend on the skins. I had the lowest score on that hole, and we had tied the previous hole. My math told me that I picked up the skins from both holes. As my friend and I drove off to the next tee box, I was surprised when she informed me that I was only a buck (or skin) behind her. This was a perfect example of “girls’ rules,” and I do mean girls rule. It seems that the girls don’t play by the men’s rules…they don’t like to carry over the skins. If someone ties a hole, then that hole doesn’t count for skins. It’s almost as if the hole never existed.

I played by the girls’ rules, but I wasn’t happy. When I cautiously asked my friend about the way I thought it should have been scored, she looked at me as if I had lost my mind and told me that only the guy members of her club carry over the skins. I hid my feelings and decided that I really needed to learn how to play with the girls. It’s never been a specialty of mine. In fact, I’ve always sucked at it. It’s not that I think that the guy’s rules are better, or that I’m used to playing with the guys—which I am—it’s just that I don’t “get” the separate set of rules.

Curious, I asked my friend how she and her friends played skins with the guys, meaning their husbands. She told me that the girls never play skins with the guys because the rules are different. I thought of the many times I’ve played skins with guys in the past 17 years, including my husband and my boys. I smiled. I then thought about the fun I would have missed had I never played skins with the guys. I didn’t find it appealing. I found it rather sad—especially as it is the girls’ choice to play by these different rules.

On the way home that day, I began thinking of other girl/guy rules. The phrase, “separate but definitely not equal” came to mind. Now I don’t want you to think I’m bashing the chicas, as I am not. I am a chica…albeit rather a sideways chica. I just wonder if some of these little, seemingly inconsequential rules are what keeps us forever separated from the boys and nowhere near an equal playing field.

For the first time in my life, I think there’s something to be said about the phrase “if you want to play with the boys.” As long as we girls continue to play by different sets of rules, then the longer we perpetuate an unequal status. Sure, there are times when the differences between men and women need to be handicapped…but not while playing skins. There’s already a golf handicapping system in place that takes ability into account. We don’t need another system in place—especially one that accounts for the lack of testosterone…or more appropriately, balls.

It was interesting that at the end of our 18 holes that day, my friend and I were even on skins. Not one dollar exchanged, which I realize was the goal from the beginning. My friend actually told me that one of the reasons the girls play this way is so that no one is at risk of losing too much money. My logical response was to suggest they lower the wager and play 50 cents a hole, or for goodness sake, a quarter a hole. Once again, my friend looked at me as if I had lost my mind—and once again, I thought to myself that I really needed to learn how to play better with the girls. Alas, I fear that this may never happen. Then again, it might. It all depends upon how you interpret “play better.”

I’ve already decided that the next time I’m invited for a friendly game of skins with the girls, which may be never, I won’t check my metaphorical balls in the locker room. I’ll go to the driving range, practice my chipping and putting, and then I intend to shoot lights out. This is how I will “play better” with the girls. My goal? No ties. My intention? To win 18 crispy one dollar bills. Some may say this sounds like one of the boys talking. I say it sounds like a true competitor.

At this point, you may be thinking that I’m a dash too competitive…and I need competition to enjoy myself. Not true. However, if I compete, then I want a real competition. Let’s not say we did and don’t. Let’s do and call it a day. A good day, a fun day, an equal day…and hopefully on my part, a profitable day. Nothing makes an impression like dollars and cents. How does that saying go… “Money talks and…” You get my point. If I can win most of the holes outright, then maybe the girls will start carrying over the skins in an effort to share the wealth. Of course, they’ll probably start playing for 10-cents a hole. I don’t care. Just as long as the rules of the game are the same as the guys’ rules…and I’m not forced to play in a skirt.

Okay. I admit that I’m a competitor; I admit that I like to wager a bet now and then. I also admit that I like being one of the boys. What does this mean? I have no idea, but I’ll let you know if I ever figure it out. I do know that if girls want to rule, they need to lighten up on the girls’ rules. Roberta’s Rules of Order just doesn’t do it for me. Then again, Robert’s Rules of Order can use a bit of editing too, but that’s a different topic for another day.

Bottom line: I will “carry-over” the lesson I learned while playing skins with the girls. The next time I start to say or think that things should be different just because I’m a female, I’ll remember that when it comes to “skin,” we’re all created equally. I may not be able to scratch my balls, but I can certainly clean them with the ball washer found on the every tee box. Roughly translated: I can bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan...not because I’m a woman...it’s just that I think, therefore I am.

© 2007 Teresa G. Franta

Comments

Spicy said…
Whoa. I don't like the girls' version. I am very competitive and tend to question everything, 2 traits that constantly get me in trouble. I'm a very good sport, but I do play to win. I don't like their reasoning.
But then again, their game, their rules..as long as you're having a good time.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Matty...yes, there is something to be said about "house" rules and having fun. Having said that, I think you got my point. Seems we both have metaphorical and competitive balls--even if only on the golf course. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Priyamvada_K said…
Dear Teri,
I'm a logical one too. Rules are rules, right is right, and wrong is wrong. Either have a fair wager, or play for fun. Can't do both.

Sisterhood is fun - but sissyhood is a turn off. And sissyhood has representatives in both genders. Whining, complaining, getting over-sensitive and blowing up minor issues.....anyone who does this shall get a polite salute - from the distance.

Priya.
P.S: I grew up amongst a lot of boys and men, and playing or competing with them is no big deal. Good part is I learned to take a lot of teasing/taunting in my stride and give back in good measure! Its all in the game.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Priya...well said chica. ;)

Yes, I love the sisterhood of chicas...but the sissyhood, on either side of the aisle, is a big turn off for me. Not talking about the "sensitive" stuff. Just the silly stuff.

I have also been "teased" all of my life, so I tune it out and go with the flow.

For me, the game of skins is no fun without the carry-overs. No chance for a "bigger win." Guess that nails it...I'm a gambler and a competitor. I took Bonnie Wren's (Ballpoint Wren)Friday game link today and was told I would rather be a ninja than a pirate. I would actually rather be a pirate.

Ciao bella (matey)...
Big Dave T said…
Though I don't golf myself, my friend at work does. Never heard of him playing "skins." He does play a lot of "best ball" where the players take the best drive, chip, etc. and shoot (swing?) from there.

So it's kinduva "I help you with your drive, you help me with my chip" thing. More cooperative than competitive.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Big Dave...I enjoy playing "best ball" also. It's a team game and I always enjoy being a part of a team. ;)

Here's to more cooperative than competitive. Although, given my pirate penchant, not sure how successful I'll be. Guess it depends on my team "mateys."

Ciao Big Dave...have a great week.
Reach said…
Teri,
Might I preface with an exerpt,"Okay. I admit that I’m a competitor; I admit that I like to wager a bet now and then. I also admit that I like being one of the boys. What does this mean?" This only means that you are being true to the most important person- Yourself. That is how I see it.

In this example, I honestly do not believe there are "girls" rules vs. "guys" rules; I only think the rules have changed due to the level of competitors. It is easier to call the preceding hole a "wash", than an assemblage of multiple bets. Or, it may only be as simple as the fear of the wager. It is easier to think of the pocket book when each hole is one dollar, than to throw in a single two dollar hole.

I do agree that our fairways could use some leveling, when it comes to the rules; however, we all know the greens are the "equal" grounds. For me in the game of skins, the only hole I want to win is the 19th!

Have a great weekend; I'm off to the base.

Reach
Kacey said…
In Ohio, we live on the 5th Tee of a fancy golf course. Some of the golfers have a ton of money, but are low on talent. I giggle over the women who do "the soupy shuffel" while addressing the ball. Their feet are set and reset, they squat their bottoms (the stance reminds me of the women's bathroom at Citgo) and then swing and miss the ball. I admit that some men are not great golfers either, but it seems the handicap and separate Tees should square things between the sexes. Your lady friends can't have the priviledge of being a female and demand separate, but equal treatment, too. I read your post to my golfing "Honey" and he said to tell you, "He loves you".
Debbie said…
golf losses me, but I understand the whole play with the boys thing. I spent most of my life doing just that and now I take on the role of "man" in my house. I am the one who is Mr whoops MRS. fix-it. I find girls rules can be very tricky and someone always gets their"feelings" hurt. Have a great week
Unknown said…
When I was young, If I wanted to play a serious game, I'd join the boys, but to have fun and enjoy "meaningless" rules, I'd just play with the girls!! I used to ride the bike down the stairs with boys, and play soccer with girls! Now, that I'm married, If I want to tease my husband I'd play cards with him using "girls rules" ;) and it annoys him a lot, but what to say...girls rule!! I never played golf, but one day I will, and I'll learn skins too:) I think it can be a lifetime sport, especially if enjoyed by all family memebers, or by a nice group of girls!!
Happy Friday:)
Kacey said…
Hey, I came back to see if you wrote anything to me and reread my comment. Can I say that I am a poor typist, but should take the time to correct my spelling. The fingers are jaywalking, but I know that shuffle and privilege are much better efforts than above!^^^
Teri, just saw you on ezine! I have about67 live articles there!
I too am a play by the rules person, even when I don't like them. I figure someone probably doesn't like some that I prefer and follows them as well. I'm such a goody-two shoes!
Sideways Chica said…
My dear Kacey...no matter how you type it I "get" it. Rememeber, we sideways chicas think alike. ;)

I am slow today on responding because I am on a deadline---even as we speak. I do want to say that I read your comment earlier and I laughed out loud. Tell your golf honey I love him too...if he plays carry-overs in skins, that is! ;)

Ciao bella...loved the descriptive prose regarding your golfing "dollies" in Ohio. BTW, I don't do that!
B.S. said…
Dear Teri,

Hmmm...maybe this is part of the reason I've never been at ease among females. I definitely work best with men (at work, I mean) and I do think maybe it's because of the rules they play by, now that you mention it. I'm sure both sexes play games, but I just prefer the ones men play. Hmmm...

Hugs,
Betty
Sideways Chica said…
Hey all...I will answer every comment later today. I have read and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I am on deadline. Thanks for understanding.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.
Ballpoint Wren said…
Dear Teri, I like that you didn't give up on playing with women. So many gals I know say things like, "I can't be friends with women, I like men better!" That's a cop out, really.

You are an astute observer of female character, though. Sometimes it's as if we hope to "protect" the whole world from things like "making sure nobody risks losing too much money".

Perhaps this is why many women don't like tough businesswomen: because they don't "protect" the competition.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Reach...leave it to you to get to the real issue here. Your comment is spot on my friend. ;)

I too love the 19th hole, but it seems that the "girls" don't enjoy this ias much as I do either. Go figure. Now...if we go to lunch without the golf, then it's another story. Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren) will understand this one.

Ciao for now Reach...and have a great week. Thank you for leveling the playing field.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Debbie...or shall I say Mrs. fix-it? I understand completely. Thank goodness I've got a Mr. Fix-it. I can do it, but have no desire. That's not saying I always like the way it's fixed. ;)

Here's to being one of the boys once in a while...or as often as we like!

Ciao bella...enjoy!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Nido...wonderful! Yes, golf is a great sport for life. In a previous article I wrote about how I am just getting back into it after 7 years off. I appreciate the game more now than ever before...even when playing with the girls...and when playing by thier rules too. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Carine...no goody-two shoes here, but good for you chica. I suppose I am a bit of a rebel---or perhaps I am just direct and say it like it is more often than naught. ;)

Ciao bella...have a great week.
Sideways Chica said…
My dear Betty...yes, yes, yes...I know exactly what you're talking about chica. ;)

Hmmmm indeed!

Ciao bella...enjoy the week by whichever rules you choose to follow or not follow!
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Bonnie (Ballpoint Wren)...yes, you "get" this completely. But of course you do chica...you live in a house of testosterone as I always have. Like me, you love it...but escape occasionally for an outing with the girls. ;)

Ciao bella...and thank you for the wonderful compliment.
Me said…
Teri, i have been coming here and reading...sorry have not been leaving any comment....some days i am just so out of it i cannot even think...back home this week and i will be reading and hopefully commenting on your next post..yes, Girls Rule!
:)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Summer...I know you're here, whether you leave a comment or not. I do enjoy your comments though, but I know you are traveling per your blog. Have a great time chica.

Ciao for now...
Chris said…
I was a little lost in the golf lingo, but I got your point. It's funny how some of us play better with the other gender than our own. For myself, I've always been more comfortable in the company of women than men, and I find nothing more unsettling than being surrounded by men without a woman in sight.

I'm not sure where this comes from, but I'll hazard a guess that it has something to do with the fact that, in my formative years, being alone in a group of boys meant I was about to get my ass kicked. ;)

Another great post, LLS. :)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...yes, of course I laughed and I also understand completely. That's how I feel in a group of all women. I may not get my hiney kicked literally, but figuratively I do time and again. Funny thing...I keep going back for more. ;)

Ciao LLB...glad you made it by and worked your way through the golf lingo. One reason I figure you might have had a hard time was the repetitive use of the word "skin." ;)
Chris said…
Well that goes without saying. The use of that word in one of your posts conjures up all manner of pleasant imagery.

For example, I thought (hoped) you were initially talking about the old "shirts vs skins" way of splitting teams. ;)
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Chris...of course you were. ;)
fjl said…
I'm not sure I don't prefer the boy's rules. More straightforward. On the other hand, less emotion and conscience about screwing someone over- usually.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear FJL...I understand Chica. How about a happy medium? Even this would be tough for me, as I do prefer the guy's rules. But I can try. ;)

Ciao bella...hope you are well. Have a great week and thanks for popping in.
Doug Bagley said…
What happened to all is fair in love and war? Or Equal Rights Amendment? LOL. But, momma always told me to let the girl win.
Sideways Chica said…
Dear Doug...hey there funny guy. Didn't you get the news flash? Nothing is fair in love and war...and there is a very fine line between the two. ;)

As for letting the girl always win...well, that's just a lose-lose strategy. Maybe not evident immediately, but in the long run you'll get to the finish line exhausted, frustrated, and depleted. Sorry dude, this is one situation where "momma" and I disagree.

Yes, I know you're just joshing with me, but I couldn't resist a little "back at you." I've been swamped lately, but I'll make it by to visit you soon. You are always good for a welcome laugh and a bit of thought provocation.

Ciao for now...have a great week. Good to hear your voice.
Debt Advice said…
I know you are here, even if you do not leave a comment. I like the comments, anyway, but I know you are on your way to your blog. Chica have fun.

Fan Favorites

Meet the Bickersons.

Love thy neighbor...

Hotel, motel or no-tell Fred